2010-2011 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to ask not to turn this thread into competition for the greatest number of useless posts a thread can have. Last year's thread is a pain to go through. Just an advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted to ask not to turn this thread into competition for the greatest number of useless posts a thread can have. Last year's thread is a pain to go through. Just an advice.

Here's an idea. I'll start indexing common questions and have them linked back to the first post. That way, you have easy access to the information you probably want and we can carry on as we normally do.

Does that sound good?

Here's an idea. I'll start indexing common questions and have them linked back to the first post. That way, you have easy access to the information you probably want and we can carry on as we normally do.

Does that sound good?

I'll let you know when I see it ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone applying this summer. This is def. one of my top school choices...hope I get in!!!

Well, instead of lurking, why not ask your questions outright? What sort of questions might you have? You know what they say: "There's no such thing as a stupid question..."

Drake: Declare your ignorance and we shall do our best to bludgeon it to death - no matter how many posts it takes!

P.S. It is a brand new cycle. Last year's thread may not be to most up-to-date information. You seriously shouldn't use that thread as a reference. Just an advice.

HOLY COW! :eek:This thread has the most post. I'm just wondering for the CCLCM research year is there a set program to follow by or is it basically finding one's own research lab.

HOLY COW! :eek:This thread has the most post. I'm just wondering for the CCLCM research year is there a set program to follow by or is it basically finding one's own research lab.

Excellent question!

And welcome!

It is not a set program, and as I understand many students switch up the order of their rotations, research, master's coursework, etc. in their 3rd, 4th, and 5th years to accommodate their interests and goals. In fact, many do away rotations and electives outside of Cleveland, Ohio, and even internationally.

As far as 'finding one's own lab', there is quite a bit of mentoring and guidance in finding labs to do research in. Much will depend on your interests and whether you are applying your research towards a masters.

There are obviously many opportunities to do research at the Lerner Research Institute (which CCLCM is attached to and is world renown for cutting edge research) - but students can do research at any of the other hospitals around Cleveland as well (remember, they are CRWU students too).

All students spend the first summer doing 10-weeks of basic-laboratory research (even if their ultimate goal is to focus on clinical research). Although students give their preferences for this first round of research, it is ultimately up to the college to assign students. (You can see the current student's list of summer research opportunities here -although you should expect this to change next year).

Hope this helps.

P.S. As I am entering CCLCM in one month, any mistakes/omissions I have made will be corrected by CCLCMer et. al. :D

Last edited:

I have to concur with the others; if you have questions, we are here to answer them! It's not like the other threads aren't full of fluff...we just have a higher proportion of it. :p

But no, seriously, I think what also helped me decide on CCLCM (and by extension, Case) was feeling a sense of community even on a thread on the Internet. If you join in, it's fun too because you're not constantly talking about applications and interviews.

Useless post.

Edit: Seriously, this post is useless.

**MEGA FINAL EDIT: SOMETHING USEFUL** - The 2014 Case / 2015 CCLCM Thread of awesome information great job!
Seriously, there is actually information here. Please disregard the above useless post, as it has now been completely deemed as so.

In a last ditch effort to make the above post less useless, I upgraded this picture of chemdude.

2441f0i.jpg

However, in doing so, I've completely affirmed the uselessness of the aforementioned post, thus ensuring its total lack of use, and questioning the lack of this post's use.

Edit: Have you seen how freaky persian kittens look? wow.

persian-kitten-d-10.jpg

PM me if you want more Kitten pictures, I've got a full Hard Drive here.

Last edited:
That's a persian kitty? Pretty freaky.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck Chemdude! :) Have you submitted your primary application yet?

Thank you :).

I have not submitted my primary yet because my transcripts will not be ready until mid-June. I guess it's a good thing because I have more time to work on my PS...

Psh, you just stole the kitten idea from me on the 09-10 thread. :(

But see? We like to have fun! YAY!

Sorry, but you're fighting a losing battle, as many of us like to see ourselves write. Some of us (cough vc7777 cough) like to see ourselves write to ourselves. :p

P.S. As I am entering CCLCM in one month, any mistakes/omissions I have made will be corrected by CCLCMer et. al. :D
No, you've got the general gist.

MedQuack, there is a lot of flexibility in the last three years. Some people do their research during third year, some during fourth year, and some mix and match (alternate between rotations and research). That's what I'm doing. You choose the PI you want to work with, and you can do either clinical or basic/translational research. The only caveat is that it's a good idea to pick someone who has $$$.

Useless post.

Edit: Seriously, this post is useless.
Look, Meat, here is a special emoticon just for you:

+pad+

:p

Myuu, shouldn't you be doing your ePortfolio????? :) :scared:

Sorry, but you're fighting a losing battle, as many of us like to see ourselves write. Some of us (cough vc7777 cough) like to see ourselves write to ourselves. :p

:p

I think some people just like Case thread to have the most number of posts, which IMO doesn't make a school better (i'm not saying the school is bad). It's guality not quantity of posts that school specific threads need. But whatever.

I think some people just like Case thread to have the most number of posts, which IMO doesn't make a school better (i'm not saying the school is bad). It's guality not quantity of posts that school specific threads need. But whatever.

People here are genuinely helpful and respond quickly (more so than other school threads), there is the search function for looking up previously asked questions, and this adds some light-hearted fun into the otherwise depressing application process. At any rate, it is after all an internet forum, try not to take it too seriously. :)

Yes, I was thinking of applying to CCLCM. I have about 2.5 years of research experience in 3 different labs. I do not have any experience with biomedical research, though.

I did computational biology, and I met another person who did completely unrelated EE research during my interview day. I would say they are looking for intellectual curiosity more than any specific type of research. You'll be fine.

so I guess the most important thing is apply early?

Since all the cool kids are doing it, I'll put up my timeline as well:

7/2: AMCAS submitted
7/24: AMCAS verified, Case/CCLCM secondary received
8/4: Secondary submitted
8/5: Complete
8/17: Invites at both programs
10/19-20: Interviewed at both
11/4: Accepted at Case
4/12: Accepted off waitlist at CCLCM

There were people accepted at CCLCM who interviewed very late in the cycle, as the semi-rolling admissions gives everyone a decent chance. Still, apply as early as you can.

Just to add on to what vc7777 and CCLCMer have mentioned, it's pretty flexible, although some dual degrees like the MPH or MS in Bioengineering will constrain your research year because you have to write a thesis that counts towards the Masters. Also, many students get outside fellowships and do them at the HHMI/NIH/other medical schools.

By the way, good luck to everyone applying this cycle, and yes, the kitten is cute. :luck:

Last edited:
Would you guys say that submitting the secondary in mid/late August is a disadvantage? Around what time did most people who received interviews submit their secondaries?

I don't think anyone ever claimed that the number of posts made the school better. :confused:

No offense, man, but if you're this uptight in June, it's going to be a long, long application year for you. I know you're stressed, but seriously, try to relax a little. You're among friends here. :)

Would you guys say that submitting the secondary in mid/late August is a disadvantage? Around what time did most people who received interviews submit their secondaries?
I would submit it as quickly as you can. Both programs give out interview invites on a rolling basis.

I would try to make sure your application is well done versus an especially early submission. However, like a lot of people have said, early submission is better. I submitted my secondary in July but ended up interviewing in November. I was accepted to both programs but... Case UP is rolling so you could get an acceptance from them as early as October 15 if you interview early!

Good luck!

Last edited:

Note when I submitted my secondary. :p I still managed to score interviews in late Oct, and actually interview in January for both programs. Case still got back to me the next week, and I got accepted in the 3rd batch of acceptances for CCLCM. But make sure your app/secondary are well-done and fit the mission statements. I don't think saying "I hate people and never want to work in a group" is going to score you anything from Case or CCLCM. :p Of course, if you really believe that about yourself, then you should probably consider saving your money and not applying here...

Note when I submitted my secondary. :p I still managed to score interviews in late Oct, and actually interview in January for both programs. Case still got back to me the next week, and I got accepted in the 3rd batch of acceptances for CCLCM. But make sure your app/secondary are well-done and fit the mission statements. I don't think saying "I hate people and never want to work in a group" is going to score you anything from Case or CCLCM. :p Of course, if you really believe that about yourself, then you should probably consider saving your money and not applying here...

lol. I am confused. Was the bolded part of your statement based on something that I have said previously, or is it a general comment? Haha, I don't remember every saying that I hate people....

lol. I am confused. Was the bolded part of your statement based on something that I have said previously, or is it a general comment? Haha, I don't remember every saying that I hate people....
I think she's kidding you. :)

I think she's kidding you. :)

Yep, I am. That goes to everyone applying...if you imply you hate working in groups in your application, don't apply here. They won't like you. :( Of course, if you say, I prefer to work alone but I CAN work in groups, that's a different story.

Yep, I am. That goes to everyone applying...if you imply you hate working in groups in your application, don't apply here. They won't like you. :( Of course, if you say, I prefer to work alone but I CAN work in groups, that's a different story.

That is a different story, but it all depends on what you mean by it and how you say it. That being said, for those applying this year, reflect on your motivations for choosing Case and choose your words wisely.:luck:

I only applied to UP, so here's my admissions timetable:

6/15 - Submitted AMCAS
7/2 - AMCAS verified
7/16 - Received Case secondary
7/30 - Finished secondary, but was waiting on a LOR to be marked complete
8/4 - LOR received, marked complete
8/5 - Interview invite (that was fast...)
9/29 - Interview day
10/15 - Acceptance

I only applied to UP, so here's my admissions timetable:

6/15 - Submitted AMCAS
7/2 - AMCAS verified
7/16 - Received Case secondary
7/30 - Finished secondary, but was waiting on a LOR to be marked complete
8/4 - LOR received, marked complete
8/5 - Interview invite (that was fast...)
9/29 - Interview day
10/15 - Acceptance

:hello:

Hi Rockaction! Accepted first possible day, huh? Nice!

Hi Rockaction! Accepted first possible day, huh? Nice!

Yep :)

That was a good day, to say the least! I was walking to class, and a friend texted me saying Case had posted decisions, so I ran to a computer lab to check. Logged into iApply...and nothing. Refreshed page...nothing. Refreshed page...Accepted!

Case Western Reserve Univ. School of medicine and University Hospital are partnering with Philips to create a new imaging center

Here's a link to the article

"The latest Philips Healthcare imaging equipment will be brought to Cleveland for development, validation of clinical efficacy and product release. As a result, the Center will become an international hub for education in these cutting edge medical technologies...the Center will provide exposure and opportunities for students and fellows to develop skills, and will provide an opportunity for Philips researchers from other areas of the world to work in the Cleveland facility for extended periods of time...
..The Center will house the latest generation of Philips equipment, a full range of imaging modalities, including:
• One of the world’s first PET/MRI machines...
• A new generation of PET/CT...
• A new powerful diagnostic PET scanner...
• A CT, which combines X-rays with advanced computer processing technology..."​

Case Western Reserve Univ. School of medicine and University Hospital are partnering with Philips to create a new imaging center

Here's a link to the article

"The latest Philips Healthcare imaging equipment will be brought to Cleveland for development, validation of clinical efficacy and product release. As a result, the Center will become an international hub for education in these cutting edge medical technologies...the Center will provide exposure and opportunities for students and fellows to develop skills, and will provide an opportunity for Philips researchers from other areas of the world to work in the Cleveland facility for extended periods of time...
..The Center will house the latest generation of Philips equipment, a full range of imaging modalities, including:
• One of the world’s first PET/MRI machines...
• A new generation of PET/CT...
• A new powerful diagnostic PET scanner...
• A CT, which combines X-rays with advanced computer processing technology..."​

Oh. My. God. Nerdy tech levels are currently at: RED

Red Alert Baby! (C&C style)

Seriously, this is huge! Very sick. I can't wait to be a part of this a few years from now. Great catch V-dizzle.

Fun Case med fact of the day:

Dr. Tippet (CWRU MD '83/ PhD '81) is the man credited with developing of one of the first anti-virus software programs. His program eventually became what is now know as Norton Anti-Virus.

Pretty Sweet, huh?

lol. should have gone into "computer medicine".

Fun Case med fact of the day:

Dr. Tippet (CWRU MD '83/ PhD '81) is the man credited with developing of one of the first anti-virus software programs. His program eventually became what is now known as Norton Anti-Virus.

Pretty Sweet, huh?

Ca c'est sûrement une Peep!!

Does that sound good?
That's really great! I think it will be extremely helpful. As verbose as we (some more than others) tend to be, it can be hard to pinpoint exactly what you want.

That said, I disagree with Ramoray, I think it's all about personality. The student body at Case is amazing - supportive, reaching out, eagerly offering help for any issue or question - and I think that the Case students on SDN really show it. TBH it was one of the things that sold me on Case. The students at my interview day were just the same. Not all schools have this kind of spirit!

Pretty Sweet, huh?
Speaking of sweet, as in melty marshmallowy mush, I forgot to commend you on your new avatar/comment combo. *golf clap* Laughed out loud. Magritte would be proud.

IMHO the specific topic of the research is not as important as you showing interest and experience in intellectual research pursuits beyond 'passive learning' of the typical undergraduate, lecture-based education.
I see those questions as an opportunity to give them a portal to see who you are. Of course related to the question, but I don't think they just want a run-down list of the reagents you used and the chi squared analysis of your results.

The bulk of my undergrad research involved teaching mice to travel paths to study their cognitive spatial orientation capacities. In my essay, I briefly explained the projects and their purpose, then spent a bit on what aspects about it specifically fascinated me. But I spent most of the essay explaining that it wasn't really the project that motivated me to spend twice a week for a year in the lab playing mice games - it was to be mentored by one of the greatest minds of this era. I discussed what I gained from his relationship and how it formed me.

(Yes, I did mtDNA genetics research too, but that was in my AMCAS EC's. I chose to focus on this research experience since it was more indicative of "who I am." ^_^)

...418 posts in a row...
Belated introduction: I am a (obviously very excited, ha!) M1 starting in July in the UP. (You can check my MDApps to see my minibio.) I'd be happy to answer any questions too - Lord knows I asked hundreds. It is the most beautiful feeling in the world to be able to turn around and help the next class after a year of MCATAMCASSECONDARIESINTERVIEWSWAITING...you'll be feeling it pretty soon yourselves too :D

Did you know Case Med is ranked 17th among U.S. medical schools in awards from NIH (FY 2009)?
:thumbup:

AND for specific NIH funding areas (FY 2009):

#1 for nutrition research
#3 Pediatrics research
#6 Orthopaedics research
#6 Dermatology research
#7 Biomedical Engineering research
#12 Family Medicine research

(Based on total amount of funding in those areas)

Yeah, very funny play on it! Did not know about it till I looked it up, but very cool. I just wanted an excuse to use my pitiful French skills for the first time in years :p

Love it! Where do you get these? You keep pulling these factoids out all over. The flowing font of information that is vc7777...

Status
Not open for further replies.