2010-2011 Harvard Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the acceptance packet today. It sounds like things don't get going until dinner Thursday evening. See you guys in April!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats your secret to all of these acceptances if your MCAT score isn't so high? Are you a URM?

FutureDoc,

I just finished reading some of your previous URM-deriding comments. Seriously, kid, you got some growing up to do.

In fact, I am Asian-- OVER-represented minority (double negative points). I got accepted to a handful of amazing schools because I APPRECIATE diversity and spend my precious time doing something more productive than making derisive comments on SDN.

How in the bloody hell are you gonna treat your ethnic patients? Thank God you aren't gonna be my classmate.

FutureDoc,

I just finished reading some of your previous URM-deriding comments. Seriously, kid, you got some growing up to do.

In fact, I am Asian-- OVER-represented minority (double negative points). I got accepted to a handful of amazing schools because I APPRECIATE diversity and spend my precious time doing something more productive than making derisive comments on SDN.

How in the bloody hell are you gonna treat your ethnic patients? Thank God you aren't gonna be my classmate.

So what is your secret if your MCATs aren't so high?

So what is your secret if your MCATs aren't so high?

I told you,

I appreciate diversity. I am always humbled by it. That was echoed in my personal statements and interviews.

I have no clue what your stats are, but really, Harvard did a great job of weeding you out. Go grow some humility.

I told you,

I appreciate diversity. I am always humbled by it. That was echoed in my personal statements and interviews.

I have no clue what your stats are, but really, Harvard did a great job of weeding you out. Go grow some humility.

How do you know I have not been accepted...maybe just not accepted to the insane amount of schools you have. Loving diversity will only get you so far. Your not telling something.

How do you know I have not been accepted...maybe just not accepted to the insane amount of schools you have. Loving diversity will only get you so far. Your not telling something.

Does it matter? You've been accepted, be happy. Move on and focus on medical school.

*segue* How many of you will be living in Vanderbuilt?

Perhaps learning how to spell "You're" can get you into med schools?

Haha, btw, I hope to live in Vandy!

who cares? do you really need to go to harvard so much that you have to figure out what everyone else had on their application?

Those on the WL... did they acknowledge your acceptance of a waitlist spot? I never seem to get return feedback from their admissions dept unless specifically requested...

No... I called and said, I sent an email, is that okay? And they said, yes, an email is fine, but you'll get more information in the packet we sent you. But then there was no real information for me in my waitlist packet... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is everyone gonna revisit?

Hoooo, I keep hearing that the HMS social life is fantastic. I look forward to having a blast with you all!

Is everyone gonna revisit?

Hoooo, I keep hearing that the HMS social life is fantastic. I look forward to having a blast with you all!

you should all go to revisit. it's gonna be greeaaaattt. we have a lot of fun stuff set up for you guys

the social life is what you make it. it's a city. so you can do your own thing, coordinate a group of people, chill out and relax in vandy/tmec, or just tag along with others. it's truly up to you.

one of the big things for me was coming from Dartmouth, I am now even closer to NYC and an airport, so I travel allll the time (going to ATL this weekend, get back to Boston Monday at 9am, quiz at 10:30am). so it's all up to you.

Pass/Fail for the win.

one of the big things for me was coming from Dartmouth, I am now even closer to NYC and an airport, so I travel allll the time (going to ATL this weekend, get back to Boston Monday at 9am, quiz at 10:30am). so it's all up to you.

Pass/Fail for the win.

WOW.. You are a classic case of affirmative action at work. Look at all those acceptances with your mediocre stats. You must love this country.

WOW.. You are a classic case of affirmative action at work. Look at all those acceptances with your mediocre stats. You must love this country.

hell. yes.

if you are just looking at #'s.

hell. yes.

You deserve it. Its not like you were the beneficiary of an Ivy league education. They need to judge you based on what you could have accomplished had you had the proper opportunities. Y' know?

@FutureDoc, Holy cow, dude, your hostility towards those more successful than you is horrible! Seriously, all your posts reek of jealousy! With that attitude, you expect to be a doctor?
Please, I suggest you pick up some good qualities this summer, or you will not be a happy camper come August.

@FutureDoc, Holy cow, dude, your hostility towards those more successful than you is horrible! Seriously, all your posts reek of jealousy! With that attitude, you expect to be a doctor?
Please, I suggest you pick up some good qualities this summer, or you will not be a happy camper come August.

BTW with a C in a General BIO course, you have an abysmal chance of gaining admissions. You should retake the course if you want to get in somewhere or take an advanced Bio course and get a good grade. And come this August, I'll be a happy camper attending a top medical school. I appreciate your advice though.

BTW with a C in a General BIO course, you have an abysmal chance of gaining admissions. You should retake the course if you want to get in somewhere or take an advanced Bio course and get a good grade. And come this August, I'll be a happy camper attending a top medical school. I appreciate your advice though.

Do share which schools you are considering, so we can avoid them this August. Why so jealous if you are gonna be attending "a top medical school"?

Cheers, mate.

So, small-minded hostility and unsolicited advice aside, what can we look forward to for the revisit? The information we've gotten so far hasn't contained any information for Friday and Saturday. Looking forward to meeting you all there.

Aw look, I have myself an admirer...or should I say stalker?
For your information, I ended up with a B-, and I was pretty damn proud of it.
Like mentioned, I hope you have a marvelous time where ever you attend, and plus do let us know where you end up because I know where NOT to apply if they accepted an a-hole like you :)

Continue, 2015ers, I'm out until next year :)

Aw look, I have myself an admirer...or should I say stalker?
For your information, I ended up with a B-, and I was pretty damn proud of it.
Like mentioned, I hope you have a marvelous time where ever you attend, and plus do let us know where you end up because I know where NOT to apply if they accepted an a-hole like you :)

Continue, 2015ers, I'm out until next year :)

With a B- you have no need to worry about being in my class....Enjoy the Caribbean!

You deserve it. Its not like you were the beneficiary of an Ivy league education. They need to judge you based on what you could have accomplished had you had the proper opportunities. Y' know?

you_mad_camron.jpg

Hey FutureDoc, how does it feel to know that there are non-urm kids with C's (i even know of one with an F) in both science and non-science classes here at HMS?

must make you wanna be real tough over the internet now, huh.

:laugh:

enjoy your top medical school. hope you don't run into any URM's over revisit who have gotten into other schools you got those rejection emails from.

With a B- you have no need to worry about being in my class....Enjoy the Caribbean!

You must have some serious inferiority complex or something, kid. I can only chuckle at your ridiculous immaturity. Shoo. Stop lurking here.

hell. yes.

wow that is really some bull****, a 31 MCAT and 3.44 science gpa? what a ****in trip, excuse me while i write a nasty appeal letter to harvard

Why should Obama's children get affirmative action, what about the disadvantaged white kid ? Notice he beings that up but offers no remedy but supports continued affirmative action. WTF

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saIVafSC38k&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

and here is the SDN supporters and their lame arguments for it..

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWS_MDJSiEE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Not this whining and BS again. Back to Harvard...

*segue again*

I heard Harvard's Second Look is supposed to be really awesome. I wonder what they'll do?

Dude, who knows? Maybe Jolt21 saved thousands for starving children in Africa or found a cure for MS? Maybe he's blind and deaf-- incredibly inspiring to disabled kids aspiring to be physicians? WHO KNOWS?!

My point is that, his numbers don't say much about him. So please calm down, and thank the schools that have accepted you-- if you really have stunning stats that are way better than Jolt21's, I am sure you all will thrive and blossom at the schools that have accepted you. Good luck.

END OF DISCUSSION.

Revisit weekend:
I hear that there's gonna be a banquet and some show put on by the first years... then people "go out"!

Last edited:
Silly question, more so because I'm a dude, but what are the dress expectations for revisit? Jeans/t-shirt/flip flops, or polo/khaki/loafers, or am I completely off base?

I have the same question, but for girls? Are the dinners formal or casual?

Excited!!!!!!!!! :D

Silly question, more so because I'm a dude, but what are the dress expectations for revisit? Jeans/t-shirt/flip flops, or polo/khaki/loafers, or am I completely off base?

I'd say bring regular, casual clothes for the bulk of activities; semi-formal or business casual for any reception; and going out clothes for the nights out.

Congrats and see u soon.

yap, I think they sent the packages on Friday. Just log onto the financial aid website and you can check it out there :)

Anyone figure out the interest rates or anything else about HMS revolving loans? From google I understand what they are in principle but I can't figure out what it means for me in terms of costs and in comparison to a federal direct loan.

only 91 people in HMS's Class of 2015 facebook group...anyone else find that odd?

congrats flowrate!! did they give you any sort of information on what NP waitlist movement looks like this year?

Hi everyone. I already posted about this on the Penn thread, but I want to post here as well to get a different view-point. As of two days ago, I was set to go to Penn, but then I got a call from Harvard that I got a spot from the waitlist. Now I have less than two weeks to figure out if I want to move to Boston.
I think both are great schools, academically and clinically. I really like Philly lifestyle wise, while Boston is more of a question mark, but seems much more expensive (I'm a non-traditional student with a Sig-other and pets, so I'm looking to live off-campus). I do think that Harvard is much stronger in public health/health policy/outcomes/healthcare delivery which is the an area of strong interest for me coming from a public health background. I'm interested in pediatrics and academic medicine that involves public health research.

Any thoughts for people who are familiar with both schools?

Well, you certainly can't go wrong either way! Both schools are clearly at the very top (this is reflected in the rankings as well with Harvard at #1 and Penn at #2). Both are situated at the heart of dynamic medical areas where a million amazing things are going on every day across every manner of specialty. Both definitely are spectacular places for academic and pediatric medicine (with CHOP and CHB being among the very top peds hospitals in the world). Don't know much about differences in public health but an MPH is an option at both as far as I know. You're right that Boston is likely to be much more expensive, especially if you live off campus (I live in Boston currently). Other than that, I'm a big believer in going to the place you feel you'll be happiest at, wherever that may be for you. While it's difficult to avoid the pull of different life factors (e.g. significant others) or the opinions of friends/family, it's definitely a decision you need to make for yourself. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.