2010-2011 Ohio State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So guys, definitely don't give up hope! 3.5 apparently isn't a kiss of death at OSU even for OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

Beginning of August...like August 1st or around there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I might have inadvertently hit upon a magic formula to get interviews at schools with a crappy GPA or something :p

Mind sharing your stats?

I'm IS female, 3.96 sgpa and 31P. I'm thinking my MCAT is what's holding me back. I have been complete since last week in August, haven't heard anything yet.

I'm OOS, 3.4 ish gpa, 34Q MCAT. Nontraditional student with 3 years of research experience, volunteer experience, and a co-first author publication.

Sorry for the noob question that I'm sure has been answered about a thousand times but is the "secondary received" email the same as the "complete" email that people keep referencing? If not, how long after submission did ya'll get a "complete"? Thanks!

Received a call from Dr. Capers on Wednesday night! I was SHOCKED but so excited to get this call. I have been complete since mid July...and I have been reading on SDN for the last two months all these interview invites going out so I had given up hope.

My stats: 33S, 3.7cum/sci, OOS (Cali), but STRONG ties to Ohio...went to high school there, family still lives there.

Good luck everyone...only downside is they are booked through January...I am trying to move it forward for around when I go to Ohio on Thanksgiving or December time to visit family.

Does anyone know if OSU is still planning on being as selective with interview invites this year as they have been in recent years?

Does anyone know if OSU is still planning on being as selective with interview invites this year as they have been in recent years?

Sounded like it during my interview. They mentioned last years selectiveness with invites and explained we should be at ease because obviously we had already been through the hard part. They didn't come out and say it in so many words, but I got the idea they are being selective again.

If I am accepted, is it possible to take biochem right at OSU undergrad the summer before? It seems to be required and I'm a non trad that doesn't really have upper level courses.

Does anyone know if the construction project for expanding the simulation center on top of the library will be finished for Fall 2011?

have no idea now

Last edited:
When I interviewed they said they are looking to finish it this coming Spring, so possibly?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very happy to say that I have an interview scheduled October 20th. And I'm OOS w/ about a 3.2 and a 37. Don't give up hope guys this isn't one of those strict numbers screening schools.

If you're planning on staying with a student host while there, do you need to email them or fill out a form or something?

I'm very happy to say that I have an interview scheduled October 20th. And I'm OOS w/ about a 3.2 and a 37. Don't give up hope guys this isn't one of those strict numbers screening schools.

If you're planning on staying with a student host while there, do you need to email them or fill out a form or something?

Just email the student hosting coordinator. His email address is in the interview invitation letter. He will put you in contact with an available student host so you can set things up with them directly.

The last direct flight home from Columbus is at 6pm. It says the interviews should all be done by 4pm at the latest, but is it reasonable to pick up my things and get to the airport in time?

A direct flight would cut out like 3 hours of travel time for me, and it'd be cheap to book now (interviewing 12/13).... do I have a shot, or should i stick around for another night?

The last direct flight home from Columbus is at 6pm. It says the interviews should all be done by 4pm at the latest, but is it reasonable to pick up my things and get to the airport in time?

A direct flight would cut out like 3 hours of travel time for me, and it'd be cheap to book now (interviewing 12/13).... do I have a shot, or should i stick around for another night?

You should be fine. Getting back to your hotel and then into the airport takes approximately 30 mins, unless you stay WAY far away from campus or the airport. Checking in and getting through security takes maybe 10 mins on a weekday. Besides, most people are done with interview stuff earlier than 4:00 (I was done at 3:00) so you should have plenty of time.

Interview invite today, 3.5/34 OOS.

Not till 1/24, though, which is far away. Any advice on rescheduling for earlier, or is three months not that big a deal?

The interview is 1 factulty, 1 student
They have your file as they are interviewing you

You can try to reschedule if theres a conflict, but usually they put you on the first available date. I don't think, typically, you can reschedule just to interview earlier. Also, don't worry, interviewing here earlier/later doesn't make too big of a difference.

Well it's always nice to know you are in somewhere earlier rather than later

Invite today for 1/24!!! They filled up really quick...

For those of you who stayed with a student host, how long did they take to email you back? It's been over a week and I haven't heard anything yet. Not sure if calling the office would help. Interviewing later this month.

As mentioned above, you should have plenty of time. You can also cut out time by bringing your things with you . . . They will be happy to keep your luggage in the admissions office during the day - they do it all the time. I used to take interviewees from the med school to the airport on a regular basis. Also - cab fare from the university to the airport is kind of steep, so if you can you might want to share a cab with one or two other people going back to the airport.

As mentioned above, you should have plenty of time. You can also cut out time by bringing your things with you . . . They will be happy to keep your luggage in the admissions office during the day - they do it all the time. I used to take interviewees from the med school to the airport on a regular basis. Also - cab fare from the university to the airport is kind of steep, so if you can you might want to share a cab with one or two other people going back to the airport.

congrats on residency! you are in michigan now?

Does this school have a high MCAT requirement or something?

Also, do we really have to fill out which schools we applied to in the past? I would appreciate any help towards my questions :). Thanks!

For those of you who have interviewed recently, what was the male / female breakdown like? There were only 2 girls there on the 13th, so I'm just curious to see what the other groups were like.

For those of you who stayed with a student host, how long did they take to email you back? It's been over a week and I haven't heard anything yet. Not sure if calling the office would help. Interviewing later this month.

2 days for initial reply from hosting coordinator. It was then about a week and a half later that I got in touch with my student host.

Does anyone know where I could check the status of my secondary? Also, does anyone know whether Ohio State prefers students with high MCAT scores (in the mid 30s)? From the discussions in the forum, thats the vibe I'm getting.

Thank you!

Hi guys this is my first message here. I received my interview here as my only one so far. I believe I appplied quite late relative to the early worms, about mid august was my secondary application finalized. I wanted to know what is the interview to accepted numbers? 34R 3.6 cgpa 3.45sgpa

For people who submitted their secondaries a little later (after 9/1), about how long did it take before you were marked complete?

For people who submitted their secondaries a little later (after 9/1), about how long did it take before you were marked complete?

Never got a "complete" email. I got the secondary received email about 2 days after submit, then invite a week after that

Hi everyone, random question, but can someone tell me if OSU has a spot on their secondary for you to add in "anything additional you wish to tell us" as some schools do?

Thanks in advance!

There were 5 girls when I interviewed on the 6th.

I swear there was a thread/post on SDN that discussed the Independent Study Pathway. It compares it to the Integrative Pathway - but I did a bunch of searching and can't find it. Can a current OSU student provide a brief description/discussions (pros/cons/differences) of the ISP program? The official website only provides a brief description:

The INDEPENDENT STUDY PATHWAY students utilize highly structured objectives, resource guides, web and computer-based materials to learn on their own. The ISP curriculum is organized into interdisciplinary study units called modules, arranged by organ systems, focusing on Normal Human (healthy) the first year.

I just interviewed here today and from what I understand of the ISP, you have access to the same lecture materials as the normal pathway but in ISP, you work at your pace and have more freedom. Also the order of some courses change I think. But according the them, people do about the same on the board examinations regardless of what path they take. The paths are simply for you base on what studying styles you prefer what will be most successful for you which is really cool.

there also much more guys than girls about 2:1 ratio today but everyone was super nice except for a few who seemed kinda condescending

I just interviewed here today and from what I understand of the ISP, you have access to the same lecture materials as the normal pathway but in ISP, you work at your pace and have more freedom. Also the order of some courses change I think. But according the them, people do about the same on the board examinations regardless of what path they take. The paths are simply for you base on what studying styles you prefer what will be most successful for you which is really cool.

This actually isn't entirely correct. The independent study pathway has an entirely different curriculum set up (it's more traditional -> healthy/path) than the IP track (which is more integrated, blocked). You CAN go to the lectures if you want supplemental learning material as an ISP student, but the ISP and IP tracks' subjects do not correlate temporally.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I expressed my interest in ISP at interview day and made sure I knew exactly how the tracks differed.

This actually isn't entirely correct. The independent study pathway has an entirely different curriculum set up (it's more traditional -> healthy/path) than the IP track (which is more integrated, blocked). You CAN go to the lectures if you want supplemental learning material as an ISP student, but the ISP and IP tracks' subjects do not correlate temporally.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I expressed my interest in ISP at interview day and made sure I knew exactly how the tracks differed.

you are actually right, you cover healthy persons first and then pathological conditions second. And the timing of subjects are different. but the idea of the two programs is to suit to different learning styles

I swear there was a thread/post on SDN that discussed the Independent Study Pathway. It compares it to the Integrative Pathway - but I did a bunch of searching and can't find it. Can a current OSU student provide a brief description/discussions (pros/cons/differences) of the ISP program? The official website only provides a brief description:

The INDEPENDENT STUDY PATHWAY students utilize highly structured objectives, resource guides, web and computer-based materials to learn on their own. The ISP curriculum is organized into interdisciplinary study units called modules, arranged by organ systems, focusing on Normal Human (healthy) the first year.

Hey, I copied Emergency!'s post from last year's thread:

"A few ISP/IP comments from a soon to be ISP grad:

1. You have LOTS of time to make that decision. I agree that the choice between the two pathways is very attractive and something that sets OSU apart, but no need to stress about it now. You will get the opportunity to talk to your anatomy proctors (who will mostly be ISP Med 2s), numerous panel discussions will be held (will students from all levels), and the opportunity to talk with students for a good two months about their choices.

2. Re: never seeing the ISP people again - I think this varies highly on the individual. If people disappear from the radar, its largely by their own choice and they would likely disappear even if they were doing IP. Everyone has anatomy together for something like 14 weeks - lots of friendships are established long before people choose pathways. Everyone continues to take the CAPS course together - so you will still see ISP people there. Many ISPers are very active in various student activities. I made a point to try and socialize when I came to campus and be involved with activities because I did want to be involved and see my classmates.

3. Lonliness - again, what you make of it. We had a LOT of students my year do ISP (like 60 people). Many of the ISP students take advantage of the ISP library to do all of their studying and it's almost like an office/job environment. People come in at 7-8 am, and study until 3-5. People often take snack/lunch breaks together. Other people choose to never come to campus unless they have to.

4. Re: books - while there are a lot of books in the ISP library, I still ended up buying the vast majority of my texts. If you happen to be one of the few people who are ahead of schedule (or really far behind), you can get away without buying many texts, because you will be the first one to need a book. However, there are definitely not enough books to go around.

5. ISP for "special circumstances": While I do think a lot of people choose ISP because of family obligations, I think the majority of people choose it for the flexibility. Although there are a lot of people who do IP but never go to lecture, they are still obligated to take their exams when scheduled with very little flexibility. You better hope that your sister/brother doesn't schedule their wedding on the west coast the Saturday after the exam because policy is that you will NOT be allowed to take your exam at early/at a different time so you can make the rehearsal dinner on Friday night. Same thing with holidays - if there is an exam before a holiday break, you are forced to wait until after the exam to fly out. It was very nice on ISP to set my own test date (within limits) based on what worked best for me. If I was sick for a couple of days, I could move my test date back a couple of days instead of having to take an exam I wasn't ready for.

Also with the flexibility - I think ISP gives you a bit more freedom in doing research, but plenty of IP students do research between M1 and M2.

6. ISPers hard to find: I'm not sure how many people are doing ISP, but the vast majority of students do IP. We always had a good mix of IPers vs ISPers at interview days, but it tends to be related to test deadlines for both pathways in terms of who comes to lunch/tours. I do think the number went down dramatically after they started podcasting the lectures. My year (I'm a 5th year dual degree student) was the last class to not have podcasting, but we still had 3 times as many people choose ISP as the year before.

7. There seemed to be a perception out there that all of the "gunners" did ISP. I know some people who chose IP because they thought it would be easier to excel there vs. more competitive to be at the top of the class in IP. (And yes, I know we're non-ranking and blah, blah, blah - but they do still give an award at the end of the year for the top student in IP/ISP/CAPS as well as honors and letters to the top 25%, so this can be an issue for those gunning for AOA, etc.) In any case, I don't know that this is really the case. There were definitely a fair amount of less motivated students in my class who did ISP and a lot of us who were just happy with being average.

8. Additional time to study for Step 1: eh - don't base your decision on this. Just as many people (if not more) end up running behind in ISP and having less time to study as end up finishing early and having more (or just more vacation time).

Ultimately, you will be well educated no matter which path you choose. You will hear stories of people doing better/worse in clinicals depending on pathways, but I think those are largely myths. And again - it's WAY too early to start obsessing about pathways. Enjoy the rest of your time before med school starts."

Does anyone know about how many people do ISP each year? I vaguely remember reading 30-40 somewhere (don't hold me to that number tho :p), which is a pretty sizeable chunk out of 220 people/class.

Emergency's post was dead on for everything related to ISP. For our class, we're going to be choosing ISP or IP here in the next week or so, so I'm not sure how many people will be going the ISP route, but it varies from anywhere between 15 and 60 (like emergency's class). For what it's worth, I don't know one person that has decided on ISP yet (not that I've asked everyone I know, but still). ISP is definitely an attractive option for a lot of people, though, especially non-trads with a family and such.

I believe someone said about 30 went to the meeting, and they are pretty sure they will do that, but of course there's ppl that already decided for it and didn't go, and people who went and decided it was not for them.

So...this is probably on many of our minds :D

Do you think the status changes the midnight of the 15th (early early Friday) or the midnight of the 16th (early Saturday)? Pretty ambiguous at my interview, was it explained better on another day?

One day sounds like such a big difference! Although technically it's not.

I was told that they are putting the decisions into the computer system on the 15th, but won't be releasing them until midnight. They said that Dr. Capers will likely start calling people after midnight.

This will be the first time that I'll be hoping for a phone call in the middle of the night!

I was told that they are putting the decisions into the computer system on the 15th, but won't be releasing them until midnight. They said that Dr. Capers will likely start calling people after midnight.

This will be the first time that I'll be hoping for a phone call in the middle of the night!

Does he sleep, EVER?!?? I guess he's demonstrating one of the skills we will acquire.

really? last year was 16th, but 16th being saturday im not sure...hopefully not the all weekend wait for yall

They told us on Monday that Dr. Capers would call everyone this coming Monday if we were accepted.

Well, I was just repeating what I was told over the phone. Monday would make more sense, but I'll still be checking for an update Friday night / Sat morning.

When I interviewed last Wed. (oct 6), they said status updates would be early saturday morning (like 3 or 6 am). They also mentioned that Dr. Capers may call Friday, but that seems like a lot of phone calls to make...but I'm pumped for saturday! Definitely going here if I get in!

When I interviewed last Wed. (oct 6), they said status updates would be early saturday morning (like 3 or 6 am). They also mentioned that Dr. Capers may call Friday, but that seems like a lot of phone calls to make...but I'm pumped for saturday! Definitely going here if I get in!

nice username! worked for me! :xf:

Whoever interviewed today and went to the anatomy labs, I saw you!

I interviewed on the 27th and was told we'd receive a call on Friday...

So it seems those who interviewed later may get calls later - after all, they should have a bunch of people to call since they've had multiple interview days.

Does anyone know if the computer status system updates as well? Or is the phone call the ONLY way we'll know?

:)xf:Fingers crossed so hard I now have a fracture)

Status
Not open for further replies.