2010-2011 Ohio State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First interview!!!!! Got a call last night as well around 10:30, thought it was a prank at first since hahah. The dean was extremely friendly and I cannot wait to interview here!

Complete 8/23 OOS 3.3 (engineering), 34

Members don't see this ad.

BTW, if student hosts fill up, I *might* be able to let someone crash on our couch/pullout bed (my friends do it occasionally instead of walking 30 mins across campus). I am a 5 min walk from the medical center, and I don't think my roommates would mind so much.

I'm interviewing too though, so I'm gonna be gone a lot.

(hopes that he doesnt get 400 pms asking, although a few is fine).

First interview!!!!! Got a call last night as well around 10:30, thought it was a prank at first since hahah. The dean was extremely friendly and I cannot wait to interview here!

Complete 8/23 OOS 3.3 (engineering), 34
Congrats - when were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats - when were you complete?
I completed the OSU secondary 8/23, which was part of the reason I was so suprised to here anything, also I am waiting for my committee LOR, I did not realize OSU does not need this to consider your app complete.

I read in the news that Ohio is suffering from a very bad bedbug infestation. Is this the case for the area around OSU? If we stay at a hotel, should we be extra careful (check beds, hang clothes in closets, spray self with rubbing alcohol)?

I read in the news that Ohio is suffering from a very bad bedbug infestation. Is this the case for the area around OSU? If we stay at a hotel, should we be extra careful (check beds, hang clothes in closets, spray self with rubbing alcohol)?

haha what, i think that should be least of your concerns

Lived there for three years and never heard of anyone having a problem... I dunno how bad it is though, as I've been out of the country (and away from news) for last 2 months. I expect the news made things a little more dramatic than the reality, however.

Um, bedbugs are not a concern in Ohio anymore than they are elsewhere. But the visual of someone spraying themselves with rubbing alcohol (in my mind, frantically) before bed amuses me.

LOL I guess bedbugs are a weird concern, but after having to deal with an infestation of those bloodsuckers when my roommate brought them back from New York I have become quite paranoid. :oops:

And then I read this article:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g954Du5DNGQE_1JYr0erXT5haaSgD9HPUVG00

Which reports that a pest control company compiled a list of the top bedbug infested cities in the US based on call volume, and states that:
Ohio has three cities in the top 10 — Cincinnati is fourth, Columbus is seventh and Dayton is eighth.
:scared:

Anyone else interviewing on this Wednesday, September 1st? Also, how many students does OSU interview on a single day? Bedbugs aside, I'm pretty excited for the experience. It's my first interview for the season. Good luck to everyone with interviews!

I got an interview invite but no call from the dean. Does everyone usually get that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually about 15-20 at the most are interviewing on a single day. The admissions staff are great and make a very big effort to create a good interview atmosphere and show you what OSU is all about. Congrats on the interview!

Yeah everyone gets a call... I'm sure Capers called you but he had a wrong number or you didn't have service or he hasn't called yet but he will.

Ok thanks... I feel like I'm missing out. I want some love from Capers too! Anyways if anyones wondering secondary submitted 08/24. Interview invite 08/30.

Has anyone received a reply from the student hosting program coordinator after telling them information they requested?

Yeah. The student host coordinator got back to me after a while and referred me to a host. They have been pretty busy, give it a little more time.

For people who interviewed on September 1st....how did it go?!

Did anyone request to reschedule their interview, and if so how long did it take to be assigned a new one? I had to but I haven't received a new date yet

The OSU interview was really nice! There will be an introduction video to the program and campus, along with guest faculty and student speakers that will be there to welcome you. You'll meet Dr. Quinn Capers IV, who's possibly the most awesome man I've ever met. He also was my interviewer along with a Dr. Hampton: I had a dual-faculty interview which lasted 45 minutes. I also had a Med II student interview which lasted 20 minutes.

Overall, the interviews are very relaxed and conversational. It's open file in both interview sessions, and most of the questions were directed towards myself as a person (so what I like to do on my spare time, hobbies, etc) and my traits as a candidate (they asked about my research works, clinical experience, volunteer experience). So as long as you review your file and understand what you've done, you'll be in good shape for the interview. Be relaxed and be honest, and most importantly, have fun :).

Good luck to everyone else on their interviews!

Did anyone request to reschedule their interview, and if so how long did it take to be assigned a new one? I had to but I haven't received a new date yet

I asked for an interview reschedule August 12 or so and got a reply email on August 20. So if you just requested a new interview date, don't fret it; it takes them awhile, they probably have a lot of stuff to go through.

The Blackwell is on the complete other side of campus, on Woodruff Ave. (this would be "20th Ave."), and the med center is spread out over 9th-12th Ave. But there's a free CABS bus run by OSU that you can hop on without any sort of student ID (catch the Campus Loop North) with a stop across the street from the Blackwell.

P.S. The Blackwell Inn is probably pricey, Erin Andrews of ESPN stays there for any football/basketball coverage during the year. Cool fact: She is currently trying to sue Ohio State, since one of the alleged "peeps" happened at the Inn.

Any other hotels will be in downtown Columbus, which are literally down the street from campus but not really near the med center. Public buses run from downtown to campus (don't know about fare, but the #2 will be the one you need), or you could grab a taxi.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Edit: I forgot a handful of cheaper hotels (compared to downtown) on Olentangy River Rd. These are a very short taxi ride away from the med center, and probably financially more reasonable.

The Blackwell is on the complete other side of campus, on Woodruff Ave. (this would be "20th Ave."), and the med center is spread out over 9th-12th Ave. But there's a free CABS bus run by OSU that you can hop on without any sort of student ID (catch the Campus Loop North) with a stop across the street from the Blackwell.

P.S. The Blackwell Inn is probably pricey, Erin Andrews of ESPN stays there for any football/basketball coverage during the year. Cool fact: She is currently trying to sue Ohio State, since one of the alleged "peeps" happened at the Inn.

Any other hotels will be in downtown Columbus, which are literally down the street from campus but not really near the med center. Public buses run from downtown to campus (don't know about fare, but the #2 will be the one you need), or you could grab a taxi.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Edit: I forgot a handful of cheaper hotels (compared to downtown) on Olentangy River Rd. These are a very short taxi ride away from the med center, and probably financially more reasonable.

hahah oh well. I just booked a room at the varsity inn, which i think is on olentangy river road....we will see how that works out.

I got a room for 50ish bucks a night for those interested.

Good choice, and yes, it's on Olentangy River Rd.

I wonder if those places might even have a shuttle to campus? I'd definitely look into that; they get tons of guests whose business in Columbus regards the campus.

I just got back to the hotel from my interview and I was pleased with my experience. There were about 15 of us there and the day was pretty chill. The faculty was happy to have the students there, and they were genuinely interested in our backgrounds/interests etc...

There were two interviews: a 20 min student interview and a 45 min faculty interview. The student interview was pretty relaxed, and the faculty interview was slightly less so. The medical school lecture halls seemed adequate...nothing special. The other buildings on campus were nice, and some of the newer facilities seemed pretty sweet.

That's pretty much it. I just figured some on SDN would want to here my take on the interview day. Overall, it was a good first interviewing experience, and we will see how it goes.

I just got back to the hotel from my interview and I was pleased with my experience. There were about 15 of us there and the day was pretty chill. The faculty was happy to have the students there, and they were genuinely interested in our backgrounds/interests etc...

There were two interviews: a 20 min student interview and a 45 min faculty interview. The student interview was pretty relaxed, and the faculty interview was slightly less so. The medical school lecture halls seemed adequate...nothing special. The other buildings on campus were nice, and some of the newer facilities seemed pretty sweet.

That's pretty much it. I just figured some on SDN would want to here my take on the interview day. Overall, it was a good first interviewing experience, and we will see how it goes.

saw a buncha of ya in suits sitting in the lobby today, was all guys though?

Interview scheduled for 12/8! That's a bit ways off but I'm still excited :D

If I was complete 8/19 and haven't heard anything is that most likely a rejection?

PS: is there a status page??

If I was complete 8/19 and haven't heard anything is that most likely a rejection?

PS: is there a status page??

Take heart ks2011, I was complete around that same time and I just received an invite today.
:soexcited:
Missed the call from Dr. Capers though :(

Thats nice. Did you guys get a tour of the anatomy lab? I saw a bunch of interviewers while doing a practice anatomy session with the cadavers. That must have been quite a sight for you guys.

I had my OSU interview today, and I was pretty impressed. Some of the facilities were very nice, some were pretty average, and new stuff is being built. Students seemed relaxed. I didn't really meet anyone I didn't like. Dr. Capers was pretty awesome. He came around and talked to everybody a little bit after the presentation, and I had him for my faculty interview. The interviews were pretty chill. I didn't get asked any tough questions really. Dr. Capers really gives you the opportunity to tell him what you want the adcomms to know, and I liked that.

Public transportation in Columbus kinda sucks though. Cabs are really expensive. My bus was nearly an hour late due to a flat tire. The replacement bus was really slow. If you need to catch a plane, I wouldn't trust the bus. I talked to another interviewee who waited for a late bus too, so I don't think I'm a statistical anomaly.

I liked the campus and the big osu football presence around the area. I'd love to come here, lets just hope they like me as much as I liked them.

Last edited:
I feel a bit let down with this one. I guess the MCAT (32) is what cut me out.

No rejection yet though.

Last edited:

No rejection yet though.

I have the same MCAT score and I'm in the same boat as you. I was complete in late July and haven't heard from them.

Dunno if that's a rejection though. A friend of mine had the same score last year and she's matriculated at OSU currently.

I have the same MCAT score and I'm in the same boat as you. I was complete in late July and haven't heard from them.

Dunno if that's a rejection though. A friend of mine had the same score last year and she's matriculated at OSU currently.

ya 32 definitely has hope, you just have to wait til later in the season to get interview

I was decently impressed with my interview on the 13th, although it felt a little too big overall, like people might get lost in the shuffle. I didn't quite get a sense of bonding between the students - some people in the same class didn't seem to know each other? Some of the facilities look a little old, but some are nice. Expansion is great and it's awesome that they have so many cool projects, but don't know if I'll want to go to school in a construction site for 4 years though.

One thing I didn't get: how is the safety of the area? I forgot to ask the students there. I drove around the day before and Columbus didn't seem quite as nice as the website made it sound. 1. There seemed to be almost no people on the street and 2. I drove a little east of downtown, and it definitely didn't look like a fun area, maybe that's just not a good place?

No rejection yet though.

No worries transfec, my MCAT isn't even that good and I have an interview in October :D Don't lose hope just yet.

I was decently impressed with my interview on the 13th, although it felt a little too big overall, like people might get lost in the shuffle. I didn't quite get a sense of bonding between the students - some people in the same class didn't seem to know each other? Some of the facilities look a little old, but some are nice. Expansion is great and it's awesome that they have so many cool projects, but don't know if I'll want to go to school in a construction site for 4 years though.

One thing I didn't get: how is the safety of the area? I forgot to ask the students there. I drove around the day before and Columbus didn't seem quite as nice as the website made it sound. 1. There seemed to be almost no people on the street and 2. I drove a little east of downtown, and it definitely didn't look like a fun area, maybe that's just not a good place?

I actually asked about safety and the nuisance of the construction. Columbus is a pretty safe city but it definitely has some parts that people tend to stay away from. Otherwise, no major issues there. My tour guide said that parking and walking around can be annoying due to the construction but it's nothing that really impacted her on a regular basis. Maybe she was trying to not be negative, but she really didn't act like it was a big issue for her. There is also that underground tunnel thing (forgot what they call it) that pretty much takes you everywhere you need to go once you're on the campus.

Hope this helps.

I haven't gotten an interview invite at OSU yet, but I did live there for a summer while doing research. I just wanted to lend my experiences to the safety discussion.

I am going to be honest and say that I did not feel very safe at all in Columbus. High street, which is the big one with all of the stores running along one end of campus, is a fun place to hang out. However, there are a lot of indigent people along that street as well, and they were pretty aggressive while I was staying there. I have seen a lot of them getting into fights with people, mugging people, etc. I also lived right in that area, which runs into a high crime region of Columbus.

I currently live in St. Louis, and I have to say I feel much safer walking around St. Louis than I ever did in Columbus. As a woman, I would never walk around by myself after sundown, even on campus. Maybe this makes sense to most people, but its easy to get comfortable on a college campus and forget these things.

However, Columbus does have some fun and interesting cultural activities, and there are a lot of festivals throughout the year.

I hope this helps somewhat!

biggest thing is that you are seeing the campus with no students on it, once the undergrads move in, high street will be teeming with people and "feels" safer as you said about st. louis (which I can't imagine being safer than cbus).

And yea construction's construction, I Got used to it 4 years in undergrad and I'm used to it now, but the results are nice! (new ohio union and new main library)

biggest thing is that you are seeing the campus with no students on it, once the undergrads move in, high street will be teeming with people and "feels" safer as you said about st. louis (which I can't imagine being safer than cbus).

And yea construction's construction, I Got used to it 4 years in undergrad and I'm used to it now, but the results are nice! (new ohio union and new main library)

This.

I've been at OSU for 4 years. The end result of all the construction AMAZING.
(I do like the Union more than the library though).

To those who had their interviews already, I'm having trouble finding information about how the interviews work...one student, one faculty? Do any of them go in blind without having reviewed your AMCAS file? I'm sorry if this is easy to find online. Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

To those who had their interviews already, I'm having trouble finding information about how the interviews work...one student, one faculty? Do any of them go in blind without having reviewed your AMCAS file? I'm sorry if this is easy to find online. Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

When I interviewed last year, they had two interviews one with faculty and another with a student interviewer both lasted about half an hour. Both interviewer should know your profile already. They might ask a few questions for clarifications but the interviews are open file.

So far I have interviewed at 5 schools and every medical center I have visited is under construction. I would not let construction at OSU really be a deciding factor because the medical industry is booming in general so no matter where you go new building will be taking place. You should view it as a positive sign that these places are keeping up to date and designing and constructing state of the art facilities for their patients and physicians. Most academic medical centers are huge and will probably always be under construction as old facilities are renovated.

Columbus is definitely not teeming with people over the summer and even wasn't a couple of weeks ago because undergrad classes don't start until this week, so it has appeared dead probably up until this point, I know campus move-in day was today.

I am starting my senior year as an undergrad at OSU and everyone probably feels differently but safety has never been an issue for me. Every city has it good and bad parts, but I am a female and I walk across campus at night all the time by myself and NEVER feel like I am unsafe. Most of the neighborhoods immediately surrounding the university are occupied by students living off campus and aren't bad at all. OSU is probably not as safe as a small school in a college town, but the fact of the matter is OSU is a large school in a city, because of the shear number of people, statistically there will be more crimes. Just be smart and you will not have a problem.

That is just my two sense.

Interview Invite!

submitted 9/10
Complete email 9/14
status change email with interview invite 9/16
Phone call for interview invite 9/19.

Interview is on 12/6. Excited! :)

Interview Invite! OMG, I am sooooo excited.

OOS 3.5/33.

Status
Not open for further replies.