2010-2011 Texas A&M Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone found any information either through AAMC or TMDSAS policy that says if A&M can even do this? All the deferring information I have found on the websites describes deferring as request-able by the applicant.

maybe one of yall who has talked on the phone with someone can enlighten me? thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah it was more directed at the karma argument than at you.

Don't mean to be contentious, it just frustrates me that people seem to line up on sides of what I see as a false dichotomy.

well i feel bad for people who matched a&m , but you know i think its worthwhile to think about how whatever action you will take against a&m might hurt other people who also matched in the process. its weird that this happened again to a differnet school

Members don't see this ad :)
Understood. Yeah, it seems like everyone seems to make this sort of thing into a black and white issue without considering individual circumstances. I'm trying to remain neutral on the issue until it unfolds a little more. As of now we've been told multiple things on how this will proceed, from a lottery to being able to give justifications as to why we shouldn't defer, which would, in effect, cancel the randomness of the lottery. So my thoughts are that they're unsure how to proceed as well. People are getting up in arms over a lawsuit prematurely because of the way they presented this to us. If they're going to start off with fear tactics like mentioning forced deferrals without an apology, it'll be interpreted as an offensive stance. Of course that will push all of the students into a defensive position. At some point it has to get calmer so that the problem can be solved rather than exacerbated.

how do they divide up students between campuses of a&m?

Did any of you guys already send in the deferral agreement form? or the justification mail?

I pre-matched at A&M, but gave it up for a spot at another school. With that, I am still really angry that this happened to so many of my fellow applicants/matriculants to Texas medical schools. I would like to offer a suggestion for people that may be forced (or contemplating) to take a year off.
I am currently taking a year off between undergrad and med school as a postbac research fellow at the NIH (National Institutes of Health) in Washington DC. It is a year-long fellowship where you get full-time research experience and, most likely, a few publications, which is great for residency purposes. You get a stipend on about 30,000 per year AND you can defer loan payments from undergrad because you are considered a postbac student. It is a great opportunity to work with some of the greatest scientists in the world. If you are interested and have any questions, then feel free to message me.
Once again, I am sorry that y'all have to go through this.

Howdy ya'll - regarding the screwed up match process - I called A&M as an OOS reject, so this doesn't affect me. But I should say that they were very happy to speak with someone about something other than this currently debacle. They said that some patience and a positive attitude will go a long way! They are actively looking for a better solution and it's a possibility that some matched students will be offered spots at other schools. It's going to take time for them to figure out other possible solutions that might be available so hang tight.

I'm a current class of 2014 student at Temple. I'd be happy to answer any questions any of you might have since I'm sure this is a pretty stressful time for most, if not all, of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those thinking that a lawsuit is the route to go, you might want to think again. A&M, as a state school, enjoys governmental immunity to the point where it does not have to honor any contracts that it deems it does not want to honor. Mike Leach recently discovered this archaic bit of Texas law when the Amarillo Court of Appeals tossed out his breach f contract action against Texas Tech. The better course might be to work with the school to which you are now matched (stuck) to seek out a solution that minimizes hardship to all. A&M could take a big step toward repairing its image by manning up and issuing a genuine mea culpa. The situation is unfair and shocking, but keep reminding yourself, I made it into medical school. Good luck to all.

has anyone heard anything back from the openrecords email?

what is the open email records.

per page 10

I was checking the TMDSAS rank page and I noticed that A&M was no longer there. I then checked the BAMF site and saw the rejection email. I guess I knew it was coming because I interviewed so early and did not get a pre-match. Send an email to [email protected] and you can see your entire application file, including what your interviewers wrote about you. You are legally entitled to review information that the school keeps on you. I was a bit shocked by what I read. I didn't know that I came off that way.

I really hope UTSW, Baylor, or UTH can bail me out of this mess :(

has anyone heard any more news or gotten to contact the admissions office? i've been following the facebook group and have heard rumors of a&m working with other schools that may have waitlisted those that didn't match... i'm still just feel like this is all so surreal...

could someone give me more information about the facebook group for A&M please?

For those thinking that a lawsuit is the route to go, you might want to think again. A&M, as a state school, enjoys governmental immunity to the point where it does not have to honor any contracts that it deems it does not want to honor. Mike Leach recently discovered this archaic bit of Texas law when the Amarillo Court of Appeals tossed out his breach f contract action against Texas Tech. The better course might be to work with the school to which you are now matched (stuck) to seek out a solution that minimizes hardship to all. A&M could take a big step toward repairing its image by manning up and issuing a genuine mea culpa. The situation is unfair and shocking, but keep reminding yourself, I made it into medical school. Good luck to all.

With the current situation, this remains to be seen. If A&M can't rectify this situation before implementing the mandated deferrals, the worst thing that would come from a claim for negligence is the media frenzy that will follow in the local news. Think anyone will choose A&M as their #1 in the match and risk being forced to defer a year? Think this is an embarrassing situation? Just wait until they are forced to defer deserving students and it shows up on the nightlly news. Generally, I'm not a big fan of the litigious mindset of the society in which we live, however, the system is in place and should be used by those who are genuinely wronged. I think there is no doubt in anyone's mind that if students are eventually mandated to defer, they have been severely wronged. While nothing has happened just yet, there is a storm looming in the immediate future. If A&M is unwilling to step up to the plate and rectify the situation, they deserve whatever they have coming to them. I'm tired of reading about this bad karma and minimizing hardship garbage. These people have earned this and should they become victims it two months time, they are entitled to exercise their legal rights. Again, good luck to all those involved.

I have kind of a stupid question but under the circumstances I have to ask I guess..I actually prematched at Tech Lubbock but ranked a&m higher. I was wondering if I could beg Tech to take me back?? Could a&m ask Tech to take me back since they are all linked by tmdsas and not just some random school asking another school to accept students back??

Because on my Merlin tech page it says

You have declined your admissions offer.

If you would still like to accept the offer, please contact the admissions office.

I can't believe thay would do this to so many people..Like someone said earlier about a chance that 35% getting deferred..We have a higher chance of getting deferred than we had a chance of acceptance after the interview..:(

You could try, but I can tell you that you Tech filled their class via pre-match offers as well. We matched a very, very small number of people this year. Our adcoms are wonderful, though - you might shoot an email their way and see if you can at least get on the waitlist??

Maybe they should find a way to speed up their expansion to bring more people in.

Not sure if you are serious - but matriculation is <7 months away. There is no way they could speed expansion enough to increase class size by 80 people. They'd have to hire more faculty, teaching doctors, etc. It takes YEARS for class sizes to increase by 80 seats.

With the current situation, this remains to be seen. If A&M can't rectify this situation before implementing the mandated deferrals, the worst thing that would come from a claim for negligence is the media frenzy that will follow in the local news. Think anyone will choose A&M as their #1 in the match and risk being forced to defer a year? Think this is an embarrassing situation? Just wait until they are forced to defer deserving students and it shows up on the nightlly news. Generally, I'm not a big fan of the litigious mindset of the society in which we live, however, the system is in place and should be used by those who are genuinely wronged. I think there is no doubt in anyone's mind that if students are eventually mandated to defer, they have been severely wronged. While nothing has happened just yet, there is a storm looming in the immediate future. If A&M is unwilling to step up to the plate and rectify the situation, they deserve whatever they have coming to them. I'm tired of reading about this bad karma and minimizing hardship garbage. These people have earned this and should they become victims it two months time, they are entitled to exercise their legal rights. Again, good luck to all those involved.

I think it's unlikely the media would be too concerned. Very few people outside of this process really understand what applying to medical school is like. They don't realize that you guys have busted your butts for 3+ years to get to this point, nor do they realize just how hard getting an acceptance is anyway. Even people very close to me don't understand the application, match and acceptance process (and I did it twice :rolleyes:).

Anyway, that being said this is absolutely atrocious. Do not let anyone tell you that you don't have every right to be incredibly angry that it came down to this. The fact that A&M offered enough pre-matches to overfill their class by 80 students is just ridiculous. I agree with the poster who said no school should be able to offer more pre-matches than they have seats for. I hope they get this fixed, I understand how stressful applying is...and now this added on top just when you thought you were done - :scared:.

As a side note, a year off was the best thing that I never wanted. So, maybe (with an adequate stipend) you can find out a year off is just what you needed as well. But, uh, you can be really angry with the school until then. They definitely could have handled this situation with much more finesse. :(

You could try, but I can tell you that you Tech filled their class via pre-match offers as well. We matched a very, very small number of people this year. Our adcoms are wonderful, though - you might shoot an email their way and see if you can at least get on the waitlist??

Not sure if you are serious - but matriculation is <7 months away. There is no way they could speed expansion enough to increase class size by 80 people. They'd have to hire more faculty, teaching doctors, etc. It takes YEARS for class sizes to increase by 80 seats.

I think it's unlikely the media would be too concerned. Very few people outside of this process really understand what applying to medical school is like. They don't realize that you guys have busted your butts for 3+ years to get to this point, nor do they realize just how hard getting an acceptance is anyway. Even people very close to me don't understand the application, match and acceptance process (and I did it twice :rolleyes:).

Anyway, that being said this is absolutely atrocious. Do not let anyone tell you that you don't have every right to be incredibly angry that it came down to this. The fact that A&M offered enough pre-matches to overfill their class by 80 students is just ridiculous. I agree with the poster who said no school should be able to offer more pre-matches than they have seats for. I hope they get this fixed, I understand how stressful applying is...and now this added on top just when you thought you were done - :scared:.

As a side note, a year off was the best thing that I never wanted. So, maybe (with an adequate stipend) you can find out a year off is just what you needed as well. But, uh, you can be really angry with the school until then. They definitely could have handled this situation with much more finesse. :(

This. Media won't care mainly because very few people in the public are going to sympathize with this situation. Their viewpoint will be that you're still going to end up in a med school whether it's this yr or next. They won't understand just how frustrating that is for the actual students.

A&M's strategy wasn't smart, but isn't there a chance that they might increase stipend substantially more? UTMB's first email last year didn't offer much. I understand that A&M won't be able to pay full 4 yrs tuition, but what about 1 yr tuition? Just paying for 1 yr for all extra students would total about the same amount UTMB spent. Anyway, the point is that they might increase the $$. And if it's enough to make you ok with deferring, don't fret about a yr off. I don't think I've met a person so far who thought taking the year off didn't help them. It'll prepare you so well and give you a chance to ease that overworked brain of yours!

This. Media won't care mainly because very few people in the public are going to sympathize with this situation. Their viewpoint will be that you're still going to end up in a med school whether it's this yr or next. They won't understand just how frustrating that is for the actual students.

A&M's strategy wasn't smart, but isn't there a chance that they might increase stipend substantially more? UTMB's first email last year didn't offer much. I understand that A&M won't be able to pay full 4 yrs tuition, but what about 1 yr tuition? Just paying for 1 yr for all extra students would total about the same amount UTMB spent. Anyway, the point is that they might increase the $$. And if it's enough to make you ok with deferring, don't fret about a yr off. I don't think I've met a person so far who thought taking the year off didn't help them. It'll prepare you so well and give you a chance to ease that overworked brain of yours!

I agree with you that a year off can help in a lot of ways. For me, it's more about A&M's attitude towards their students.
I didn't get in A&M, but if I were in this situation, I would push for attending just out of spite. All of the accepted students are their investments and no school should treat their investment like this.
It seems like they're trying to get away with properly apologizing because if they do apologize, they're admitting that it is their fault.

I hope everything works out well for all in this predicament..

I, for one, would KILL to be in your situation. I matched to my #3 school, meaning I will have to move 13 hours away from home with a newborn in a new city (I did not get into my first choice which is only an hour away). I would absolutely, positively, KILL to be able to ultimately go to my number 1 school choice AND have a year off to raise my child properly.

If anyone in the A&M situation wants to go to Texas Tech El Paso in 2011, maybe we can switch places. You take my spot in El Paso, and I will take the $2K, the year off, and a place at San Antonio in 2012. I think it's worth asking about.

But in all honesty, that plan is probably too loosey-goosey for such a gargantuan bureaucracy.

ill trade you my spot on the waitlist ;-) haha

I, for one, would KILL to be in your situation. I matched to my #3 school, meaning I will have to move 13 hours away from home with a newborn in a new city (I did not get into my first choice which is only an hour away). I would absolutely, positively, KILL to be able to ultimately go to my number 1 school choice AND have a year off to raise my child properly.

If anyone in the A&M situation wants to go to Texas Tech El Paso in 2011, maybe we can switch places. You take my spot in El Paso, and I will take the $2K, the year off, and a place at San Antonio in 2012. I think it's worth asking about.

But in all honesty, that plan is probably too loosey-goosey for such a gargantuan bureaucracy.

I guess it would be safe to assume there will be no movement for ppl on the waitlist but any open seats would be for those forced to defer :(

there was pretty much no point in making a waitlist...

:confused: A little confused...

i don't know if that openrecords email works or not, but i know that you can request a file review. if you interviewed in temple, then you can email lila diaz for a file review.

Sorry for those who are going through this...
This is a difficult time.
But I think the only way out of this is that A&M offers a significant amount of compensations. I don't think A&M can tell other schools to accept their overflow. The schools can probably accept its own pre-matched applicants, but not more than that, otherwise you are jeopardizing the waitlist applicants on that particular school. Just because you got accepted into A&M doesn't mean you should get a spot in other public school in this situation, especially if you are comparing the difference between UTSW and A&M.

Best of luck to all of you.

Haha. 12k enough for a year... Yeah if u live in a box behind a bar in Mexico

That's precisely where I'm typing this exact post. Just... uncanny.

You don't have a nanny-cam in here, do you? That brand new teddy bear that just appeared out of nowhere seemed a little out of place at the time...

That's precisely where I'm typing this exact post. Just... uncanny.

You don't have a nanny-cam in here, do you? That brand new teddy bear that just appeared out of nowhere seemed a little out of place at the time...
:laugh:

Just wanted to post for camaraderie's sake. I hope all of us make it through this and spend our next year happily, or at least calmly resigned.

Texas A&M is in College Station/Temple, not San Antonio

Texas A&M is in College Station/Temple, not San Antonio

It sure is. However, at the time I posted, I was not aware that A&M had two campuses and therefore I assumed they were offering people their first choice at ANY of the public Texas medical schools.

San Antonio, College Station, Temple... what's the difference? I still think it's a handsome offer for people who could use the year off.

anyone gonna respond about [email protected]? does it work?

It works. I used it to submit an open records request. They have 10 business days, which is 2 weeks to respond to your email. I'm the original poster. Also, you can do the same thing with all of the other public medical schools in Texas.

Has anyone found any information either through AAMC or TMDSAS policy that says if A&M can even do this? All the deferring information I have found on the websites describes deferring as request-able by the applicant.

maybe one of yall who has talked on the phone with someone can enlighten me? thanks guys

They can and will do this.

They are slated for 170 seats in Fall 2011. End of Story.

Get off your high horse.

The argument with $2000 is that 2000 does not equal one year of a doctor's salary (its laughable really) -- in fact it barely cuts the interest of loans -- and thats what is upsetting. We all worked very hard, just like everyone else, to get to this point. It is very frustrating to have to go through all of this after being given this opportunity. Imagine reaching your dreams and then realizing that you may have to wait one more year for no fault of your own. Its like indian giving.

Uhhh.... if you're worried about money, you chose the wrong profession.

I know a handful of professions and fields whose annual bonus is larger than what most physicians make per year. Depending on the size of your school, you will likely be graduating with people who are making $100K+ staright out of undergrad. The problem is, those levels are basically non-existent when you're dealing with the life sciences which are very common amongst pre-med students. Personally, I would never want to look for a job with just an undergraduate biology degree. I don't think I would ever be happy.

Also, would you have held this attitude when you interviewed and were posed a hypothetical if the adcom screwed up?

It works. I used it to submit an open records request. They have 10 business days, which is 2 weeks to respond to your email. I'm the original poster. Also, you can do the same thing with all of the other public medical schools in Texas.

What are you exactly hoping to accomplishment? If you honestly think there's some conspiracy to screw the Class of 2015, I cannot help you.

There was a major error made. I'm not sure where it happened. However, if you think that any of the other schools would be able to magically make 80 seats appear in their class, you're dreaming.

Berkley once screwed up and sent everyone who applied to their law school that year an "Acceptance" email. The realized their mistake and corrected it about an hour later.

At the end of the day, 80 people, mostly in Texas, were offered admissions to a medical school class that should not have been. So, some of you all can check your entitlement and self-righteous attitude out the window. So, some people are saying "it's too late to find a job", this that and the other.... what would you have been doing right now if you hadn't matched? Again, 80 people should not have had acceptances. 80 people would have to be deciding if they want to continue to apply to med-school or move on with their life. Or, find a new job. Or, find a graduate program.

Unfortunately, this is the harsh reality of the real world.

So because physicians don't make the most money they aren't entitled to be concerned about money? Logical...

That's exactly the right attitude. I hope everything works out for you in the end.

I read these comments and it seems like some people expect to get into medical school straight out of undergrad.

Taking a year off..... could be the best thing that ever happened to you.

So because physicians don't make the most money they aren't entitled to be concerned about money? Logical...

If you're concerned about money, you should have stated that in the interview. Or, did you bring it up in the essay?

At the end of the day, 80 people should not have acceptance spots right now. What about everyone else in the state that didn't match or weren't offered an interview?

Is it about the patients, or the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.