2010-2011 Texas A&M Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
UTSA and Southwestern

Members don't see this ad.

UTSA seems to send lots of rude emails. I can understand I guess. I mean, I'd like to read mine just cause I'm curious because several interviewers mentioned I had "extremely well written letters" but I also understand I waived my right. Why don't they just not include them if they are that concerned?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, A&M just sent out a new letter, and they are now offering 6,550 one time scholarship in lieu of the original $2000. Still not worth the offer in my view, but this can only mean good things.

Most likely some students got into other schools off of waitlists-- enough to increase the offer by that much.

So, A&M just sent out a new letter, and they are now offering 6,550 one time scholarship in lieu of the original $2000. Still not worth the offer in my view, but this can only mean good things.

Most likely some students got into other schools off of waitlists-- enough to increase the offer by that much.
Ya, I agree with you. Maybe in the next month more people will get into other schools and less people will have to choose to defer/forced to be deferred. Did you also see how they were "urging" everyone to turn in their forms so they can decide on things faster. PS: the FAQ that they mentioned in the email isn't really helpful lol It pretty much the same info they gave us

UTSA seems to send lots of rude emails. I can understand I guess. I mean, I'd like to read mine just cause I'm curious because several interviewers mentioned I had "extremely well written letters" but I also understand I waived my right. Why don't they just not include them if they are that concerned?

I was doing the open records to see what interviewers said and not to get the confidential letters. If they wanted to send them, cool...if not, that's fine too

If you ask for the records, they have to give them to you and they cannot ask why you want them. If for some reason they do not want to give you the records, they have to contact the Attorney General of Texas office to review your request and they will make the final decision. If the school does not cooperate with this policy, you can report the incident to the Attorney general's office. Just forward a copy of your original request, explain the situation and they will take action.

If you ask for the records, they have to give them to you and they cannot ask why you want them. If for some reason they do not want to give you the records, they have to contact the Attorney General of Texas office to review your request and they will make the final decision. If the school does not cooperate with this policy, you can report the incident to the Attorney general's office. Just forward a copy of your original request, explain the situation and they will take action.

I don't think that would be a good idea if you're on their waitlist, if that's the case :p

I don't think that would be a good idea if you're on their waitlist, if that's the case :p

Yeah I didn't request records from anywhere I was accepted/maintain an active application.

Why would it be a bad idea to make an open records request if we're on the waitlist? Given that this waitlist is NOT going to move, I'm hoping that info will help me for when I reapply next year...

So I got a notice that my open records request was being appealed to the attorney general...

But others in this thread have received open records from A&M?

So I got a notice that my open records request was being appealed to the attorney general...

But others in this thread have received open records from A&M?

Mine did too, I think its just part of the process, has everyone else whos done the open records request also recieved the same email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine did too, I think its just part of the process, has everyone else whos done the open records request also recieved the same email?

Wait you mean you requested, got the email, and then after the appeal got the records anyway?

Wait you mean you requested, got the email, and then after the appeal got the records anyway?

no i requested, got the email and now am waiting to get the records, my email didnt say anything about an appeal, it just says that they sent the request to the AG office and it should b taken care of by March 9th...

no i requested, got the email and now am waiting to get the records, my email didnt say anything about an appeal, it just says that they sent the request to the AG office and it should b taken care of by March 9th...

Appeal was my word, sorry if it caused any confusion.

Did anyone who already got their records get this email?

Appeal was my word, sorry if it caused any confusion.

Did anyone who already got their records get this email?

ya thats what i wasd wondering, my email didnt sound threatening or like I wouldnt get the records, its just that they have to get the documents approved by the AG office to be given out... still weird though

Wow just got another document they sent to AG including the names of 9 people who have requested :)mad:). Seems like they are lobbying pretty hard not to have go give us records... even though they already gave them to other people?

I got mine without hassle. Just one email saying they were processing my request and then the next email had my record.

Maybe more people are requesting this year compared to past years and they are trying to figure out why. Maybe it is an expensive process and they want to deter others. Who knows...

If it's expensive they are required to let us know and offer to have us pay for it. This is purely because they have decided they dont want to give them despite having already sent out a bunch of the records.

So now that it's past march 9th...did anyone hear anything back?

So now that it's past march 9th...did anyone hear anything back?

forgive me if i'm brainfarting, but is march 9th supposed to be a date i should know about? or are we all losing our mind trying to be patient. i honestly can't tell the difference anymore lol

forgive me if i'm brainfarting, but is march 9th supposed to be a date i should know about? or are we all losing our mind trying to be patient. i honestly can't tell the difference anymore lol

People earlier were talking about open records and I think March 9 got thrown in as a date someone would hear back, that's all lol

I haven't received anything yet from my request... I'm starting to wonder if I will at all.

This is completely ridiculous. There needs to be some transparency in med school admissions. They shouldn't be able to reject you for any old reason. If they do, you need to know why. Unfortunately, these schools have the law on their side and if you want to challenge them in the courts, be prepared for a long legal battle that you will probably lose. Some serious changes to the law need to be made. These people on the admissions committee can write pretty much anything about you, give you whatever ranking that they feel like and they don't even have to answer for their actions.

Last edited:
got the email, and i am definitely feeling better now that i have a 93.5% chance to NOT be forced to defer! we can all breathe a little easier guys!

got the email, and i am definitely feeling better now that i have a 93.5% chance to NOT be forced to defer! we can all breathe a little easier guys!

Am I reading this right? Did they expand the class size to 200. I'm not a matchee, but this is still good info to know.

would someone mind copying the email so that the rest of us could read it?

Hey everyone. I know that this is a little off topic, and I apologize. I am really curious/worried/nervous about my chances of getting into a Texas MD school. Since you guys are currently going through the stressful admissions process right now, your input would be very helpful. In all honestly, what are my chances of getting into a Texas MD school? Here is some info about me:
-Texas resident
- Ivy League grad (as of next year)
- 3.7 GPA
-3.55 Science GPA
- 28 MCAT
-double major in 1)Religious Studies, and 2)Public Health
-division-1 athlete
- i do not have any research due to all the time spent on athletics ( at least 20 hrs. a week- seriously).
-Coca-Cola Scholar (if that even holds any weight at all)

I would really appreciate some of your thoughts....

Hey everyone. I know that this is a little off topic, and I apologize. I am really curious/worried/nervous about my chances of getting into a Texas MD school. Since you guys are currently going through the stressful admissions process right now, your input would be very helpful. In all honestly, what are my chances of getting into a Texas MD school? Here is some info about me:
-Texas resident
- Ivy League grad (as of next year)
- 3.7 GPA
-3.55 Science GPA
- 28 MCAT
-double major in 1)Religious Studies, and 2)Public Health
-division-1 athlete
- i do not have any research due to all the time spent on athletics ( at least 20 hrs. a week- seriously).
-Coca-Cola Scholar (if that even holds any weight at all)

I would really appreciate some of your thoughts....
Hey. I believe your stats are fairly good. Maybe to be extra competitive you may try retaking your MCAT. But speaking as a former NCAA d

Hey. I believe your stats are fairly good. Maybe to be extra competitive you may try retaking your MCAT. But speaking as a former NCAA d
(sorry my phone is acting weird) but speaking as a former athlete who also had to practice 20 plus hours a week. You really have to make time. Even if that means Doing it in the summer if your sport allows. Try asking a professor at your school that will be willing to let you help with research that understands your schedule. Good luck!

Only retake your MCAT if you feel confident that you can make a significant (3-4 points) improvement. Your stats overall seem fairly competitive to me (my GPA was lower, my MCAT was higher, and I got accepted). I do agree that some research would be a good feather in your hat, especially since several of the Texas MD schools regard research very highly. I know several people with very similar circumstances to yours that were accepted at UTHSCSA the last few years, and the one piece of advice I can give you is be prepared to talk about whatever sport you played during your interviews. They all said it came up frequently.

Also, you should post this in the "What are my chances?" forum area. You'll get much more feedback there.

does anyone know where we can find this year's match list?

How did A&M's overenrollment issue work out? Was anyone forced to defer? I'm asking just as a casual yet sympathetic observer; I wasn't involved with A&M at all but my heart went out to those facing a year where they weren't allowed to enroll at the medical school they planned on. There is nothing posted on A&M's site anymore; I know they were able to up the scholarship offer to $6,500 and increase the number of seats they had. Were they able to work out the issue that way without having to resort to forced deferments? That would be ideal. Either way, best of luck to the incoming class this year!

How did A&M's overenrollment issue work out? Was anyone forced to defer? I'm asking just as a casual yet sympathetic observer; I wasn't involved with A&M at all but my heart went out to those facing a year where they weren't allowed to enroll at the medical school they planned on. There is nothing posted on A&M's site anymore; I know they were able to up the scholarship offer to $6,500 and increase the number of seats they had. Were they able to work out the issue that way without having to resort to forced deferments? That would be ideal. Either way, best of luck to the incoming class this year!

Yes everything worked out no forced deferments.

They increased the class size to 200 so no one was forced to defer. But people still did defer but they volunteered to do that.

Does anyone's BAMF page still say 'under review' or have they all converted to the 2012 secondary application?

Does anyone's BAMF page still say 'under review' or have they all converted to the 2012 secondary application?

Haha yeah and I got an automated email telling me that my secondary was ready to be filled out! :laugh:

I GOT IN!! I received a phone call this morning from Filo saying that I had been accepted off the waitlist. I didn't even know there WAS a waitlist. I didn't think there was any way that there COULD be after the way the match transpired. But I got in! 4 years in Temple track too. First choice of school, second choice for track. I'm tremdously excited and extremely honored, and I will see you all in August!

I GOT IN!! I received a phone call this morning from Filo saying that I had been accepted off the waitlist. I didn't even know there WAS a waitlist. I didn't think there was any way that there COULD be after the way the match transpired. But I got in! 4 years in Temple track too. First choice of school, second choice for track. I'm tremdously excited and extremely honored, and I will see you all in August!

i withdrew tuesday night, and i was on the temple 4yr track! i hope it was my spot that went to you! CONGRATS!!!

CONGRATS! I received an invite today! Mine was via email. Temple 4 year track!

I was completely surprised and soooo happy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.