2010-2011 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah right, like it makes a freaking difference after 100 degrees! It's just stupid hot at that point! I am SO out of central/southern AZ ASAP!! Haha, good luck, applicants, it's not really that bad [yes it is], you'll love it [no you won't]. :D

It really is accurate that over 100 degrees, it doesn't make that much of a difference. Im from the central valley, CA where it gets to the low 100s in the summer and it doesn't feel any different. It's uncomfortable either way. UACOM-P is worth it, though :).

Members don't see this ad.

It really is accurate that over 100 degrees, it doesn't make that much of a difference. Im from the central valley, CA where it gets to the low 100s in the summer and it doesn't feel any different. It's uncomfortable either way. UACOM-P is worth it, though :).

I would agree with this wholeheartedly. :D As someone who came from a much cooler climate, I have a difficult time with the heat and probably hate it and complain more about it than anyone in our class. Despite the heat, UACOM-P was my top choice school and I was thrilled to get in, and the excitement has not worn off even after my MS1 year! I LOVE UACOM-P!! :love:

just curious...does UofA screen heavily for OOSers??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I just wanted to wish good luck to everyone applying! I hope you all get in!

I've been tracking waitlist movement for the 2009-2010 cycle with an excel plot. In several months I'd like to send the file to someone else who'd continue tracking. If anyone's interested, they can PM me (though I figure it may be more compelling if you yourself are a WLer, like I was). And in case anyone is curious, last we knew, 73 people were pulled from the WL this year! It'll probably end up at around 75 :)

Good luck again! (I'm especially rooting for all you guys from this year!)

How many people got pulled off of the PHX wait list specifically?

I'm not sure how heavy is heavy, but each campus had about 3,000 applicants, with 5-600 IS - so for OOSers, the competition is pretty fierce. 2,500 applicants for 28 spots at Tucson, and the same number of applicants for 12 spots at Phoenix. Don't get discouraged though, look at me! Though I'm IS I didn't think I had much of a shot, but still got accepted.

What is an OOSer?

An Out-Of-Stater, IS is In-State :)

How many people got pulled off of the PHX wait list specifically?

I don't know that anyone on the forum knows for sure (help?), but I would guess 14-19 got pulled. Phoenix really has done a great job at making their curriculum very appealing, and I think their retention rate was higher than Tucson's.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how heavy is heavy, but each campus had about 3,000 applicants, with 5-600 IS - so for OOSers, the competition is pretty fierce. 2,500 applicants for 28 spots at Tucson, and the same number of applicants for 12 spots at Phoenix. Don't get discouraged though, look at me! Though I'm IS I didn't think I had much of a shot, but still got accepted.

An Out-Of-Stater, IS is In-State :)

I don't know that anyone on the forum knows for sure (help?), but I would guess 14-19 got pulled. Phoenix really has done a great job at making their curriculum very appealing, and I think their retention rate was higher than Tucson's.

Thanks, I am still on a wait list at a school that does not rank their list, which makes it very difficult to track the actual number that have been accepted off the listed.

I don't know how UA screens for OOS applicants, but I got in and my stats are pretty average. As a major change and somewhat non-trad, I had a relatively low overall gpa compared with other acceptees across the nation, but I did have all A's since switching to my graduating major and my science gpa was >3.9. My MCAT score was pretty average. I knew I really wanted to do medicine, though, and I really wanted to do it at UACOM-P. Have faith in yourself, be dedicated to completing your goals, and if UA is where you want to be, go for it! As I've met my classmates this week and gotten to know the campus better, I sure am glad to be here.

Last edited:
I don't know how UA screens for OOS applicants, but I got in and my stats are pretty average. As a major change and somewhat non-trad, I had a relatively low overall gpa compared with other acceptees across the nation, but I did have all A's since switching to my graduating major and my science gpa was >3.9. My MCAT score was pretty average. I knew I really wanted to do medicine, though, and I really wanted to do it at UACOM-P. Have faith in yourself, be dedicated to completing your goals, and if UA is where you want to be, go for it! As I've met my classmates this week and gotten to know the campus better, I sure am glad to be here.

How'd Inception work out for you guys? I totally would have gone if I didn't have an hour commute ahead of me :)

I have a friend from California who said the same thing about anything over 100 or 105 feeling equally bad, but I disagree. I'm from Arizona and I feel like I can tell the difference from 105 and say 115. Maybe its in my head though...regardless, you just deal with it and its not so bad. Unless you pay the electric bill to keep your A/C running, then that is bad. The really bad thing about the summers in Phoenix is that it can be 100 degrees at 10 o'clock at night because of all the concrete that traps the heat. That to me is what really sucks, and that's not a rare occurrence. Here in Tucson, the lows at night get down to the mid-70's which is much nicer. Still, both campuses are worth dealing with the heat to attend.

I have a friend from California who said the same thing about anything over 100 or 105 feeling equally bad, but I disagree. I'm from Arizona and I feel like I can tell the difference from 105 and say 115. Maybe its in my head though...regardless, you just deal with it and its not so bad. Unless you pay the electric bill to keep your A/C running, then that is bad. The really bad thing about the summers in Phoenix is that it can be 100 degrees at 10 o'clock at night because of all the concrete that traps the heat. That to me is what really sucks, and that's not a rare occurrence. Here in Tucson, the lows at night get down to the mid-70's which is much nicer. Still, both campuses are worth dealing with the heat to attend.

I was mostly talking about during the day that it doesn't feel too different from California, but what you mentioned above did strike me as odd the first few days too. Back home, it also drops to 70's and low 80's at night, but that doesn't happen here in Phoenix. The heat just persists into the night. I'm starting to get used to it, though.

LOL. How is it that you know who I am, but I do not know who you are. PM me your true identity!

Oh, and it was fantastic!

Hah, my true identity is no big mystery. Jeff at your service! I remember yours from when we all introduced each other on one of the other threads. My secret identity, however, is a bigger deal. Hint: It starts with a B and ends with a -atman.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was mostly talking about during the day that it doesn't feel too different from California, but what you mentioned above did strike me as odd the first few days too. Back home, it also drops to 70's and low 80's at night, but that doesn't happen here in Phoenix. The heat just persists into the night. I'm starting to get used to it, though.

That's pretty much all there is too it. Like when there are heavy snow falls back east people adjust there lives, Its the same in Phoenix (and most of the rest of AZ). You learn that shade is king, even if its just the shade of a street light...

wow, not looking forward to the heat...is it at least dry heat? I'm assuming that's the case. I'm from MT and i'm a fan of their summer averages in the 80's. But OK (undergrad) is killing me with heat and humidity!

wow, not looking forward to the heat...is it at least dry heat? I'm assuming that's the case. I'm from MT and i'm a fan of their summer averages in the 80's. But OK (undergrad) is killing me with heat and humidity!

Most of the time it's a dry heat but we are in the middle of monsoon season here and depending how much moisture is in the air from the seasonal storms it can get pretty gnarly. Today walking around in between orientation sessions was an example of such gnarliness, especially when you're in a shirt and tie!

I was just reading on the UA-Phoenix site the new class information - is there really a 19 yo in the newest Phoenix class?!? I thought I was a super star starting kindergarten the day after turning 5. :cool:

I was just reading on the UA-Phoenix site the new class information - is there really a 19 yo in the newest Phoenix class?!? I thought I was a super star starting kindergarten the day after turning 5. :cool:

Yessir (or ma'am), that's our very own Brahms2010, the baby of the class. We make him take naps between lectures and always have a warm bottle of milk and a pacifier ready.

Yessir (or ma'am), that's our very own Brahms2010, the baby of the class. We make him take naps between lectures and always have a warm bottle of milk and a pacifier ready.

From the looks of it, your class is very educated. The list of degrees/majors is also very diverse. How do you like it so far?

From the looks of it, your class is very educated. The list of degrees/majors is also very diverse. How do you like it so far?

I could probably write a page or two on my thoughts thus far as we draw to the end of orientation but I'll just say that it's totally awesome. The best part for me has been meeting the people- both the amazing colleagues that I will be privileged to spend the next four years with and the equally fantastic support staff that really truly would do just about anything to help us out. I think this feeling comes both from the philosophy of the school but also its size and close-knit nature. There were more than a few schools on the interview trails that came across smelling faintly of "big talk syndrome" both from presentations and student interactions but I can promise you that everything you hear about this amazing program and the resources they have in place to help you is true. We've seen that all this week. We've all agreed to come here so honestly if they wanted to stop selling themselves and setting the bar high they could and there really wouldn't be much we could do about it. That's so far from the case it's amazing. I think that this next cycle is in a very lucky position as you may very well be the last class of 48. My one fear is that it will be more difficult for the school to sustain its personality and access when it expands to 96 or 120 or whatever the number is. If anyone can do it, this team can but I heartily encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity now and really consider this school. Hope this makes sense! The best of luck to you all, I really hope that you'll be standing in my shoes a year from now. :luck:

Interview offer! Tucson Campus. Hope this is my year :)

ps: the interview sign up page doesn't have any white spaces to pick. hmmm

tucson is a no go for me, rejection! o well oos applicant...

first defeat so far

I got an interview invite as well. I was surprised because my committee interview/letter won't be done until September.

So our LORs don't have to be sent in order to receive an interview?

So our LORs don't have to be sent in order to receive an interview?

Not at this school, at least not the Tucson campus. They review everything after the interview sometime in October or November.

Interview invite Tucson campus, first day I could sign up that wasn't full or didn't conflict with another interview = was 9/22 so that is when I will be there. Looking forward to it this certainly is one of my top schools.

OOS but Montana resident like shame so I have WICHE going for me.

Interview offer! Tucson Campus. Hope this is my year :)

I got an interview invite as well. I was surprised because my committee interview/letter won't be done until September.

Congrats on the early interview invites! I was in the first group of interviews last year and we didn't get our invites until August 21st, so they're almost a month ahead of time. Perhaps they are trying to get things moving quicker this year to not lose any good applicants. Consider yourselves lucky, and schedule the earliest interview you can to keep giving yourself that advantage.

some time last week. I'm an OOS re applicant - re interview

Montana res, so i got some WICHE backing.

Congrats ShameFame, and others with interviews! :D

About the heat, you will get used to it. One nice thing about Tucson is the Catalina Mountains. I went with some of my wife's family up there yesterday - nothing like the feeling of being in the White Mountains again! It's pretty sweet. But they say that your blood thins after a while - don't know if that's true, but you do get used to the heat. And yes, barring July and August, it is a dry heat. :)

Anyone heard from PHX? I got a Tucson interview last week, but haven't heard anything from Phoenix. I don't even know if they've received my application fee check yet. :scared:

And to the heat: 100-110 is pretty much indistinguishable. But after 110 you can tell. You can actually FEEL the hot air pressing on you when it's that hot outside. But it's only for about 3 months of the year, and then it's not too bad.:thumbup:

Anyone heard from PHX? I got a Tucson interview last week, but haven't heard anything from Phoenix. I don't even know if they've received my application fee check yet. :scared:

And to the heat: 100-110 is pretty much indistinguishable. But after 110 you can tell. You can actually FEEL the hot air pressing on you when it's that hot outside. But it's only for about 3 months of the year, and then it's not too bad.:thumbup:

I simply got an email from them last week saying they received my signature, photo, and payment. But nothing other than that. I got the email around 3 days after I mailed my application in.

Don't forget about the 20 yo classmate too.

I am in-state and was complete at both schools on Friday. I am wondering if they will wait for my new mcat to invite me for an interview, even though my old MCAT is above their cut off. Any one have any experience?

I am in-state and was complete at both schools on Friday. I am wondering if they will wait for my new mcat to invite me for an interview, even though my old MCAT is above their cut off. Any one have any experience?

That's a pretty good question. I don't think they would wait for your score but a more important question for me would be if the new score will be updated in the file that will be presented to the admissions committee. Might be worth sending Wendy an email for that (at least for the Phoenix campus.) I'm excited for people to start getting interviews at Phoenix. You've got a pretty crazy experience ahead of you from what I've heard about this Multiple Mini Interviews gig.

Well, we MS-1's did have orientation all last week, are now in our "first official week of medical school", and have the white coat coming up on Friday, so the staff might just be unusually occupied. Maybe shoot admissions an email to make sure all your materials have been received? Wendy is very nice.

About the heat, you will get used to it. One nice thing about Tucson is the Catalina Mountains. I went with some of my wife's family up there yesterday - nothing like the feeling of being in the White Mountains again! It's pretty sweet. But they say that your blood thins after a while - don't know if that's true, but you do get used to the heat. And yes, barring July and August, it is a dry heat. :)

The Catalina mountains are incredible. Even if you don't drive up into them, they are just so damn pretty to look at. I'm concerned that if I'm not careful I'm going to get into an accident because I keep finding myself staring at them...

Don't worry too much about Phoenix. They are totally separate from Tucson, so not hearing from Phoenix after hearing from Tucson is not different than not hearing from any of the other schools you applied to after hearing from Tucson.

I always felt like above 110 and a breeze feels like the rush of hot air you get when you open the door of a hot oven. When its in the 90's or low 100's, its not too bad if you're used to it. For those who wind up deciding between Tucson and Phoenix, keep in mind that it is typically cooler in Tucson, especially at night.

That's a pretty good question. I don't think they would wait for your score but a more important question for me would be if the new score will be updated in the file that will be presented to the admissions committee. Might be worth sending Wendy an email for that (at least for the Phoenix campus.) I'm excited for people to start getting interviews at Phoenix. You've got a pretty crazy experience ahead of you from what I've heard about this Multiple Mini Interviews gig.

:confused: That sounds crazy. I'm honestly not sure I'd want to do a bunch of mini-interviews. I felt like it was nice to have a full hour for your interviewer to get to know you. I guess this would help you avoid having an interviewer that you just don't mesh well with. Still, I remember last year having interviews at a couple of places that were only 30 minutes and being like, "that's it? but I have more to say..."

I simply got an email from them last week saying they received my signature, photo, and payment. But nothing other than that. I got the email around 3 days after I mailed my application in.

Hmm, well I mailed it last week and I live literally 10 minutes away... guess I better call them?

Hmm, well I mailed it last week and I live literally 10 minutes away... guess I better call them?

I would if it's been a week so you can know if it was lost or something.

Especially since I love OOS and they got mine and let me know within days.

EEEK!:eek: I know! I am so nervous for those. I am not even sure how/what to prepare. I will give Wendy a call next week to be certain, especially if I don't hear from them by lets say, next Wednesday?

EEEK!:eek: I know! I am so nervous for those. I am not even sure how/what to prepare. I will give Wendy a call next week to be certain, especially if I don't hear from them by lets say, next Wednesday?

Sounds like a plan, sweet. Like Phospho said, they're running around like crazy right now getting ready for white coat so I'm sure by next week they'll be focused 100% entirely on you guys, and that won't end until this time next year! As for the interviews, I'm sure you'll be fine. I've heard that it's actually a much less stressful experience because you have such a short period of time with each person that you really get to put your best foot forward and not much else. Also, I could be wrong but based on what Tara told us (and Phospho + Brahms et. al can verify this) but I don't think they have any stations that are pure "gotcha" type stations where they are designed to get you to trip up. Just various conversations with lots of interesting people. Some will be "debate" style conversations, others "why do you want to come here" and others probably just a literal casual conversation. I don't think, based on what I've heard, that they're throwing anything at you that wasn't in our old long 30 minute interviews, now it's just being broken down among several different people. Which is actually a good thing, because the old style if you and your interviewer didn't click that was such a huge factor in your further admissions success that it could make or break you. Now if you don't mesh as well with one person you have the opinions of nine others to sort of cancel that out. The moral of the story is that you'll do fine :)

Sounds like a plan, sweet. Like Phospho said, they're running around like crazy right now getting ready for white coat so I'm sure by next week they'll be focused 100% entirely on you guys, and that won't end until this time next year! As for the interviews, I'm sure you'll be fine. I've heard that it's actually a much less stressful experience because you have such a short period of time with each person that you really get to put your best foot forward and not much else. Also, I could be wrong but based on what Tara told us (and Phospho + Brahms et. al can verify this) but I don't think they have any stations that are pure "gotcha" type stations where they are designed to get you to trip up. Just various conversations with lots of interesting people. Some will be "debate" style conversations, others "why do you want to come here" and others probably just a literal casual conversation. I don't think, based on what I've heard, that they're throwing anything at you that wasn't in our old long 30 minute interviews, now it's just being broken down among several different people. Which is actually a good thing, because the old style if you and your interviewer didn't click that was such a huge factor in your further admissions success that it could make or break you. Now if you don't mesh as well with one person you have the opinions of nine others to sort of cancel that out. The moral of the story is that you'll do fine :)

I agree. I think the traditional longer interview and this format both have some pros and cons. Just try to relax and be yourself. Honestly, if you do that you'll be fine in either format.

Has Tucson released the interview dates? If so, when do they start?

Yay! That's actually really good to hear. The more I thought about the MMI style, I might like it. Thanks for all your great info!! I appreciate it!

interview invite today. california resident. got email saying i was completed yesterday, so it seems like they move pretty fast.

interview invite today. california resident. got email saying i was completed yesterday, so it seems like they move pretty fast.

According to Phoenix website, interviews begin on Sept 20. Looks like they start later than Tucson.

Status
Not open for further replies.