2010-2011 University of Texas - Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be a tour guide this year. You will have two interviews, lunch, a walking tour of the medical school and Memorial Hermann Hospital, and a bus tour which goes to The Texas Heart Institute, the UTH rec center, student housing, and the medical center in general. You will do these things in different orders depending on what group you are in. I can't comment on what time you should be finished, so hopefully armybound can answer that after talking to the tour coordinator.

There should also be a pre-interview social with MS1's and some MS2's the night before. It will be a lot of fun so if possible you should try to come!

The medical center in general? This tour might be the longest one i will ever be on....better bring comfortable shoes

Members don't see this ad.

well, we're intelligent enough to have buses for the medical center/rec/housing tour. You should still have comfortable shoes, but there won't be too much walking for that part of the tour. There is also a walking tour of the med school and select parts of Memorial Hermann

Haha, you should definitely bring comfortable shoes if you're worried about it- there is a lot of walking. However, we separate the walking and bus tours for a reason! You will be walking extensively in the medical school building, Hermann Hospital, Texas Heart, and into the rec center.

When I said "the medical center in general" I meant that taking you to these places will require the bus to drive through the medical center, and there will be other buildings etc. that we will point out along the way.

FWIW I wore pumps on the tour last year and it wasn't too bad. By all means though bring some comfortable shoes if you want (I'm just too lazy to carry them around all day :))

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey quick question..UTH doesn't send a "complete" or "received" email right?

Haha, you should definitely bring comfortable shoes if you're worried about it- there is a lot of walking. However, we separate the walking and bus tours for a reason! You will be walking extensively in the medical school building, Hermann Hospital, Texas Heart, and into the rec center.

When I said "the medical center in general" I meant that taking you to these places will require the bus to drive through the medical center, and there will be other buildings etc. that we will point out along the way.

FWIW I wore pumps on the tour last year and it wasn't too bad. By all means though bring some comfortable shoes if you want (I'm just too lazy to carry them around all day :))

I have to admit I had to look up what pumps were.... they dont look comfortable. It has just dawn on me all the extra pain girls have to endure.
Ill stop whining about shoes now.

I have seen on some threads that if you don't hear from a school, you can send them a letter to update your stats and let them know how interested you are - does anyone know if this is good advice or not?

So many friends go to UT Houston, so I definitely hope to go here! I have heard many amazing things!

I did that; it worked really well for me. IMHO it's way too early to write one now. I would say late October into the middle of November would be a good time if you still haven't heard anything.

woohoo! just got an invite today for 10/8/10...I will most likely have to reschedule however

when were you complete?

transcript verified: 5/17/10
submitted: 5/21/10
mcat verified: 6/1/10
transmitted: 6/10/10
LOC received/approved: 6/22/10

So to answer your question, I guess 6/22/10 was when TMDSAS had everything of mine

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey princess, do you mind me asking about your extracurricular activities? Did you do research? We have similar stats, but I haven't been getting any invites other than TCOM and El Paso. :scared:

Hey princess, do you mind me asking about your extracurricular activities? Did you do research? We have similar stats, but I haven't been getting any invites other than TCOM and El Paso. :scared:

Same here! PrincessBP, you and I have practically identical stats, but I've received two as well (both of which I'm really excited about).

What magic do you have, princess? :)

Wow I feel kinda bad!!! I am sure yall will both here from other schools soon. I really have no magic!!! I am shocked to have 4 interviews. especially UT Houston. But here is my rundown from what i put on my TMDSAS:

+University honors for 3 years
+ALDPES honor society
+2 scholarships
+Texas ACSM student bowl Regional team champions/ 4th place at nationals (its an exercise physiology competation) my major is Kinesiology: Health Promotions and fitness
+Uteach Outreach Group Leader for 3 years (wrote science lessons that i then taught to classes of 14-30 college students - they then taught the lessons in elementary schools - i also helped the college students write their own lessons)
+pool manager
+swim instructor
+lifeguard
+Science Olympiad Officer/ Test writer/organizer
+Austin Country Club Kids Club worker/cabana server
+PT intern and PT tech for a spine clinic
+I read over 30 peer reviewed articles for 2 profesors on stem cells and summarized them for them to help them write a research grant proposal
+did motor unit identification fatigue research with aPhD student for a semester
+Helped run a smoking cessation research intervention project for a semester
+Cardiac rehab fieldwork claass working with inpatient and outpatient cardiac rehab patients at st. davids
+dell childrens medical center vol for 1 year
+shadowed orthopedic doctor and 2 pain management doctors (only like 50 hrs though)
+I was a Girls on the Run running buddy
+I raised money for Any Baby Can while running a marathon
+I compete in triathlons, half marathons and have done one full marathon

Thats really it...it sounds like way more than it is. But hey, if med schools think its magic then thats fine with me!!

i also have 5 letters of rec. I from my ochem professor, 2 from kines prof, 1 from my boss and 1 from a prof at brown univeristy who i did the smoking research with.

I hope that is what yall wanted. Good luck to you both!!!! :)

Wow, you have great extracurricular activities! I think I know the reason now, lol.

Does anyone know what UTH means when they say (Please include your interview date in the Subject Line, and leave all correspondence in the string.)? What does "leave all correspondence in the string" mean?

Does anyone know what UTH means when they say (Please include your interview date in the Subject Line, and leave all correspondence in the string.)? What does "leave all correspondence in the string" mean?

basically hit "forward" :)

But, it says to email the message to a different email then from where it had original been sent from.

But, it says to email the message to a different email then from where it had original been sent from.

That's why you forward the email to a new address, instead of replying to the same address. And when you forward it, it'll show all previous correspondence because it'll copy the email they sent you. :)

Absolutely LOVED the UTH interview today. What a fantastic school. TMC is pretty freakin awesome as well. Hope everyone else enjoys it as much as I did!

P.S. Which one of you students identified me?! I couldn't piece it together...

Also, you'll definitely want to bring comfortable shoes for the tour. Don't feel weird about it. I felt weird and my feet are pissed at me. The entire tour is about an hour and a half long, and even though there's a "bus" portion, the bus rides are very short.

Haha ok. Couldn't decide if it was you or Canjosh. Well you now have the dubious honor (?) of putting a face to the username.

I go to the med school across the street. I interviewed at (and really liked) UT-Houston. Sorry if I confused you by commenting on this thread. I will see you soon at 'my' school. Enjoy your interviews!

Haha ok. Couldn't decide if it was you or Canjosh. Well you now have the dubious honor (?) of putting a face to the username.

Haha, I figured you out too, by accident actually. Glad you had a good interview day.

I go to the med school across the street. I interviewed at (and really liked) UT-Houston. Sorry if I confused you by commenting on this thread. I will see you soon at 'my' school. Enjoy your interviews!

Yeaahhhh... my bad. It's hard keeping these threads straight. But I'll be seeing you soon enough! I'll be heading to BCOM territory on 10/15.

LRA, were you interviewing?! You should've introduced yourself!

What do you mean was I interviewing? (I'm an MS1 lol). I didn't realize who you were until way after I met you. Clues: you stayed at my apt complex, and you complained that I smelled like gross lab ;)... Ps sorry about that, haha. Had to break for lunch and I probably should've gone back downstairs!

Also, you'll definitely want to bring comfortable shoes for the tour. Don't feel weird about it. I felt weird and my feet are pissed at me. The entire tour is about an hour and a half long, and even though there's a "bus" portion, the bus rides are very short.

Ditto to this. Also an excellent interview yesterday! How does UTH rank on everyone's lists here?

Ditto to this. Also an excellent interview yesterday! How does UTH rank on everyone's lists here?

On my way to the interview, I hit some pretty heavy traffic on 610 (as always), and I was thinking to myself "I have had enough of Houston". Definitely couldnt care less about traffic anymore, just move closer to the TMC- problem solved. Definitely #1 choice, I'm just hoping they like me back.

Check your spam often! I got UTH interview for 10/8 as well! Does anyone know how many interview invites they give? and their number of seats? I'm just curious... UTH is either # 1or 2 for me...

Great interview day. Loved the school.

Also, I keep seeing ColeontheRoll at my interviews.

Great time at the social and the interview, didn't really identify anyone here irl though, too bad, but overall fantastic experience

How long does it take housing to reply with any information? I emailed them on Aug 24, when I got the invite email. I haven't heard anything from them in response.

How long does it take housing to reply with any information? I emailed them on Aug 24, when I got the invite email. I haven't heard anything from them in response.

It'll probably be a while. Finding student hosts will be more difficult on the week you're interviewing (Sept 24 right?) because that's the last day of block 1 for MS1's. Don't worry- they will find somewhere for you to stay! Also, there won't be as many students around that day- our last test of block 1 is at 1pm. Just fyi because we're all usually around.

Introduce yourself! I may be a tool on SDN, but I promise I won't bite your head off.

Yea, I wasn't sure what the social protocol was for meeting someone from the internet. :laugh:

Housing with students is a tough situation. I'd definitely try for it, but know that it doesn't always work out. I'd definitely have backup plans.

The whole matching process is handled by students, so when our schedule is busy it may take longer. I know that an email went out recently to see who could host interviewees, so they must have a large demand.

does anyone know when they stop sending interview invites?

Housing with students is a tough situation. I'd definitely try for it, but know that it doesn't always work out. I'd definitely have backup plans.

The whole matching process is handled by students, so when our schedule is busy it may take longer. I know that an email went out recently to see who could host interviewees, so they must have a large demand.

Thanks! My parents live in the Woodlands so I could probably just stay with them for a night if necessary

does anyone know if UTH makes a decision on the applicants in the next couple of days after they interview or do they wait until they have interviewed everyone?

also does anyone know what's their ratio of acceptances offered per seat? like A & M said they send out about 2-2.5 offers per seat... I don't know if that makes sense lol...

does anyone know if UTH makes a decision on the applicants in the next couple of days after they interview or do they wait until they have interviewed everyone?

also does anyone know what's their ratio of acceptances offered per seat? like A & M said they send out about 2-2.5 offers per seat... I don't know if that makes sense lol...

Most schools accept about twice the amount of their available seats.

About when the decision is made on the applicants, I think the committee meets like 2 weeks after your interview to make a decision on you.

Well, it's tough to answer that because UTH prefers the match system. There isn't ever really a "reject/accept" decision that's made.

Applicants are reviewed shortly after their interview, possibly as early as the next week depending on the availability of the interviewer and such for the meetings.

They will accept as many people as required due to waitlist movement. Again, with the match, the number of acceptances given out will be 230 plus however many people vacate their seat to go elsewhere. It will vary by year, but there's typically a good number of people accepted from the waitlist.

As I understand it, Houston is different because they don't participate in the pre-match as heavily as some of the other Texas schools do. Therefore, they give almost exactly as many seats as they have available (230), until people choose to vacate those seats for other schools. But yes, most Texas schools will typically offer around twice as many acceptances as there are seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.