2010-2011 University of Texas - Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone apply from OOS and get an interview? What was it like? How often does Houston grant out of state interviews, rather than acceptances?

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed today! It was a lot of fun. My favorite parts were going on the roof to see the Life Flight copters and the observatory dome! so cool!!

Glad you had a good day! Those were my favorite parts of the tour as well (how couldn't they be!?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone tell me what the subject line in yall's interviews emails read?

Just wondering because I have deleted a couple spam emails that I was pretty sure were not from medical schools but I wish I would hear from UTH this year :(

I am a 3.55/32Q applicant with volunteering, shadowing, LOTS of HC experience, a paramedic, and I interviewed at Houston last year, and I have only improved my app since last year so I was kinda hoping to hear from Houston again this year.

I have already interviewed at TCOM, San Antonio, Lubbock, El Paso, and A&M, just wish i would hear from Houston! I loved it last year!

My app transmitted 7/13.

"UTH Interview [Date of the interview]"

the interview season just started......

just had the 3rd interview of the season. there will be interviews probably into January

the interview season just started......

just had the 3rd interview of the season. there will be interviews probably into January

I know but I have seen people getting the invitations to interview all the way into mid-October already. I'm assuming that since I have not heard from Houston yet, that I will interview later than those, if at all.

Sorry, I should have phrased what I meant better. I meant that is late October to early/mid November kinda late?

they typically only invite for 2-4 weeks in advance. there's plenty of time.

if you're really concerned, email or call the office. sometimes inquiring will help get you an interview.

My app has been complete for over two months now, so I called the admissions office today and they said my app is currently under review....I dunno how long its been at that stage but I guess I'll wait and see if calling them helped at all.... :s

My app has been complete for over two months now, so I called the admissions office today and they said my app is currently under review....I dunno how long its been at that stage but I guess I'll wait and see if calling them helped at all.... :s

I basically did the same thing a while ago too. I called them to ask. They told me it was "Under Review" too. TMDSAS says it transmitted 7/13 to schools.

When did you transmit?

I transmitted 6/21 but my rec letters were received on 7/26 so I guess that's when I was complete...

I basically did the same thing a while ago too. I called them to ask. They told me it was "Under Review" too. TMDSAS says it transmitted 7/13 to schools.

When did you transmit?
hey paramedic if you don't mind me asking, did you get the same amount of interviews last year? did UTH waitlist you? did you have same stats last year when you applied?

I'm only asking because this is my first year applying with similar stats as you and I have interviews everywhere except UT SW and UT SA, so I was wondering what my chances are etc.

thanks and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey paramedic if you don't mind me asking, did you get the same amount of interviews last year? did UTH waitlist you? did you have same stats last year when you applied?

I'm only asking because this is my first year applying with similar stats as you and I have interviews everywhere except UT SW and UT SA, so I was wondering what my chances are etc.

thanks and good luck!

sneakyrocker,

I basically got the same amount of interviews last year at around the same time in interview season. However, I am pretty sure I did not interview well last year. Last year, I interviewed at Lubbock, Houston, A&M, then UTSA. Hadn't applied at TCOM, and ran out of money to apply to Baylor. Waitlisted at Lubbock and Houston, but never got off. Houston waitlists everyone that interviewed but wasn't given an offer yet.

I basically had almost same stats last year when I applied. I was 3.5/32 applicant last year, but had not finished my paramedic program and didn't have as much non-HC volunteering. But I have had a serious upward trend since freshman year.

This year I have interviewed at TCOM, UTSA, Lubbock, El Paso, and A&M so far, don't expect to hear from UTSW or UTMB (They seem very research oriented so I don't think I would be a very good fit there anyway), but just wish I would hear from UTH this year again! The Texas Medical Center is *excuse my French* badass, to say the least. I didn't apply at Baylor. Too expensive.

I transmitted 6/21 but my rec letters were received on 7/26 so I guess that's when I was complete...

Hmmm.. well hopefully the only reason we haven't gotten interviews is because our apps were complete there later than all these people who have already gotten invites..

So hopefully ours is coming! :thumbup:

sneakyrocker,

I basically got the same amount of interviews last year at around the same time in interview season. However, I am pretty sure I did not interview well last year. Last year, I interviewed at Lubbock, Houston, A&M, then UTSA. Hadn't applied at TCOM, and ran out of money to apply to Baylor. Waitlisted at Lubbock and Houston, but never got off. Houston waitlists everyone that interviewed but wasn't given an offer yet.

I basically had almost same stats last year when I applied. I was 3.5/32 applicant last year, but had not finished my paramedic program and didn't have as much non-HC volunteering. But I have had a serious upward trend since freshman year.

This year I have interviewed at TCOM, UTSA, Lubbock, El Paso, and A&M so far, don't expect to hear from UTSW or UTMB (They seem very research oriented so I don't think I would be a very good fit there anyway), but just wish I would hear from UTH this year again! The Texas Medical Center is *excuse my French* badass, to say the least. I didn't apply at Baylor. Too expensive.
wow you interviewed alot in Texas and still didn't get an offer... man now I'm kinda scared... were your interviews really bad? you never heard from A&M? they usually send offers to more than half of their interviewees...

all of your interviews last year were around this time? did you have any early ones?

lol sorry for so many questions I'm just trippin cuz my GPA is barely higher than yours and exact same MCAT... so I'm worried whether I'll get an offer or not... I really don't wanna be waitlisted... and then not get in...

thanks again!

wow you interviewed alot in Texas and still didn't get an offer... man now I'm kinda scared... were your interviews really bad? you never heard from A&M? they usually send offers to more than half of their interviewees...

all of your interviews last year were around this time? did you have any early ones?

lol sorry for so many questions I'm just trippin cuz my GPA is barely higher than yours and exact same MCAT... so I'm worried whether I'll get an offer or not... I really don't wanna be waitlisted... and then not get in...

thanks again!

Yea, I thought my Lubbock interview went really bad last year, I thought UTSA and A&M were kinda... eh to OK.. and I thought Houston went the best. But yea, 2 waitlists and 0 offers... but I also hadn't finished my paramedic stuff and didn't have as much community service. I talked to the schools last year and they basically identified lack of community service as my biggest weakness so thats what I worked alot on for this years application.

I had interviewed at those places last year by the end of September. I didn't get any other invites last year.

It sounds like you have ALOT of interviews lined up so I'm sure you will be fine, rocker. :cool:

sneaky,

Did you do research or something?

What is the secret to getting an invitation to UTMB?? lol.

haha yeah I have a lil more than 2 years of research and received a fellowship for my research as well...

but I dono I mean we have almost the same number of interviews because I didn't get one from UT SA but you did, so I just have one more than you...

well, anyways hopefully we both get in!

Hmmm.. well hopefully the only reason we haven't gotten interviews is because our apps were complete there later than all these people who have already gotten invites..

So hopefully ours is coming! :thumbup:
man I sure hope so!!! I really wanna hear back fromm UTH and Baylor...have heard back from everyone else...

Hello all,

For those of you who have interviewed, were you asked to elaborate on why you chose UTH instead of Baylor? I didn't apply to Baylor simply because I don't have the numbers to attend that school. Should I be careful about being too honest here? The fact of the matter is, both schools are great and I'd be happy going to either one.

Thanks for any advice.

Hello all,

For those of you who have interviewed, were you asked to elaborate on why you chose UTH instead of Baylor? I didn't apply to Baylor simply because I don't have the numbers to attend that school. Should I be careful about being too honest here? The fact of the matter is, both schools are great and I'd be happy going to either one.

Thanks for any advice.

Not at all... the interviews were very casual and relaxed. No one I have talked to has said anything about an interviewer even mentioning Baylor.

Hello all,

Thanks for any advice.

I think it is very unlikely they would ask that, at least I wasnt asked that question, did not hear of anyone else being asked that question, and I dont really see how that question would be relevant. UTH knows that theres another very good medical school across the street, and for the most part I think both schools get along.

It's highly unlikely that anyone will ask. I interviewed here and Baylor on the SAME day; my interviewers and everyone else knew about it and no one asked, except to make sure I knew how to get there. My interviewer actually walked me there. Anyway, no one will ask because no one cares whether you applied to Baylor. It's no different than applying to any other school.

Thanks all. I hope I rock my interviews...this is my top choice!

Hi everyone! I am an MS IV at Houston. Just wanted to wish everyone good luck with interviews. If you have any questions, feel free to ask or pm me. I will be checking this thread periodically.

What's going on with this school? Are they just very behind? I haven't seen any interview invites recently...

What's going on with this school? Are they just very behind? I haven't seen any interview invites recently...

The admissions office is working very hard to go through everyone's application and send out interview invites. Please be patient! I know this process is very unnerving.

YAY!!! Just got an invite about 15 mins ago for October 15!!! So maybe calling them last week helped move me along!!! :soexcited:

YAY!!! Just got an invite about 15 mins ago for October 15!!! So maybe calling them last week helped move me along!!! :soexcited:

I did the same thing last week and I too got an invite a little while ago. I guess I will see you there, doctor freak! :thumbup::thumbup:

Congrats!! So jealous. Did you just call the admissions office about the status of your application?

Congrats! When were you transmitted? Houston is one of the schools that I really want to hear from.

argh!!! i just called them, and they said my application is still "under review." i want an interview here so bad!!! :xf:

argh!!! i just called them, and they said my application is still "under review." i want an interview here so bad!!! :xf:

Hahaha I just did too. Maybe we'll get an interview invite next week like doctor freak and paramed88 :D

Do they even send out an email stating that they received the application? I still havent heard anything from them and i was transmitted 8/23

Do they even send out an email stating that they received the application? I still havent heard anything from them and i was transmitted 8/23

Nope. As long as TMDSAS says you've been transmitted to UT-H, then your application has been received. It's just one long waiting game.

It really seems like they are going by the order they received applications. It seems like everyone I have heard of that has gotten an interview before me also transmitted before me.

Congrats!! So jealous. Did you just call the admissions office about the status of your application?

Ya, they asked my name and looked up my file.

Congrats! When were you transmitted? Houston is one of the schools that I really want to hear from.

I was transmitted 6/21 but my rec letters were transmitted 7/26

When I asked them they said they don't send out any correspondence until they invite you for an interview or *tear* reject you.

I did the same thing last week and I too got an invite a little while ago. I guess I will see you there, doctor freak! :thumbup::thumbup:

I didn't call them, but I also got an invite today for Oct 15. See you two there!:)

Congrats guys! Be sure to come out to the interview social on the 14th.

hey! congrats to all with interviews! 28r, 3.91 hope i hear from them soon!

Anyone who has been on an interview, wht did you think?! Love this school!

I'm so excited that more people are hearing about interviews. If/when possible, can we pool our opinions?

I'm really interested in knowing whether the "hell week" schedule is as big a con as I hear. Someone told me everyone hates it. But the school seems so epic otherwise....

I don't know many students who hate it. Anyone who interviewed last week and got to talk to first years who had just finished their first block of exams could report that the students were not complaining about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.