2011-2012 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's interesting...I'm inclined to agree with you that if we haven't heard from them by now, it's a rejection.

Exactly my point on St John's... but hey, just relaying the info I was given (though likely misinformed).

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything from Northwestern Evanston campus for clinical PhD?

Hello! Has anyone heard back from Florida International University or U of Cincinnati Clinical PhD programs? On pins and needles waiting to hear about interviews! Tom Petty is right, the waiting is the hardest part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Has anyone heard back from Florida International University or U of Cincinnati Clinical PhD programs? On pins and needles waiting to hear about interviews! Tom Petty is right, the waiting is the hardest part.
Hey,

I don't know if this helps, but I'm waiting to hear from U of Cincinnati as well. Agreed - this whole waiting process is killing me!!

Has anyone who interviewed at Penn State last weekend received an offer yet?
I'm waiting to hear from Penn State's Clinical PhD program as well (post interview). Someone on TGC posted about being on the wait list (for the child clinical program).

Does anyone know if all invites have gone out for Baylor Psyd? Any rejections? thanks
I do believe the invites have all gone out. They invited 29 people and they have heard from 28 at this point. I guess if that last person doesn't respond there will be one spot open....

Hey guys, does anyone have any new info on Wisconsin-Madison clinical PhD invites? I know a couple of weeks ago someone mentioned they were just getting back from winter break?

For those emailing their POIs or the coordinators of the program directly asking if they have extended interviews. how are you wording this email without sounding impatient or anxious? I really want to email the coordinator of a program (who is a faculty member) but I'm not sure how to ask ?? Thank you!!!

I would probably send an email to the POI or director of training introducing yourself, explaining that you know that it is a busy time of year for them, and reasserting your credentials and desire to work with them. Usually professors will have the good grace to let you know whether you are still in the running or if decisions have already been made. I've done this with several programs and received nice emails back from each of my POI's. I think the key is to not come off pushy. Hope that helps! Good luck! :)

I must have some good karma or :luck:

School name: Adelphi
Program type/track: Clinical PhD
Date received: 2/13/12
How were you notified: Email looks like 3-4 other people
Interview dates offered: 2/29/12

Has anyone heard anything about when Wisconsin- Madison will send out invites or if they already have? Also, any news about Harvard?

"Has anyone heard anything about when Wisconsin- Madison will send out invites or if they already have? Also, any news about Harvard?"

Actually spoke with both schools today.

UW-Madison has already extended their invites. Harvard has extended almost all of their invites. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - it's bad news for me, too. :(

I got an email from one of my potential schools asking me to complete financial aid info. However, I know the interviews were in January and I didn't get one. Is there still hope that I got this email? It specifically says this is not based on admission decisions and everyone gets one but I find it hard to believe that they would take the time to request this financial aid info from over 100+ applicants,

Maybe I am just being optimistic...some insight/advice would be nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
School name: Rutgers
Program type/track (clinical, school, phd, psyd, child, adult etc.): Clinical Psy D
Date received: 2/13/12
How were you notified (mass email, personalized email, phone call, from the DCT, from the POI, etc.): Mass email
Interview dates offered: Friday 2/27/12

I got an email from one of my potential schools asking me to complete financial aid info. However, I know the interviews were in January and I didn't get one. Is there still hope that I got this email? It specifically says this is not based on admission decisions and everyone gets one but I find it hard to believe that they would take the time to request this financial aid info from over 100+ applicants,

I have had schools that haven't even done interviews send requests for FAFSA to be filled out, so it is entirely possible for them to just be getting all that information out.

True, I see your point I would just think they would have contacted everyone closer to January, not after the first round of interviews occurred over a month ago and they probably already decided. Oh well, time to cross it off my list!

I've received such a request from a school that I didn't even finish applying to (I applied to the graduate school but then decided not to apply to the department as required). I think if they have you on record but haven't received FAFSA info, they send out a mass email. However, if I was in your position, I wouldn't count on that school, but I wouldn't completely lose hope either!

It looks like Rutgers has sent out invites for their Psy.D. program today in a mass email. According to those who've been invited and the program website, there is only one interview day - 2/27. Does anyone think that there is still hope?

It looks like Rutgers has sent out invites for their Psy.D. program today in a mass email. According to those who've been invited and the program website, there is only one interview day - 2/27. Does anyone think that there is still hope?

they've sent to all? SIGH. i hope for some reason there'll still be hope! I didn't get one, but really really want to go there ):

I have had schools that haven't even done interviews send requests for FAFSA to be filled out, so it is entirely possible for them to just be getting all that information out.
I've also gotten those in the past. I think they send them to everyone who applies. It's an automated email. Not saying you still don't have a chance but I wouldn't let it get your hopes up too much. I know it stinks... I got an email from Director of Admissions of one school, encouraging me to apply, this the day before interview invites went out and I didn't get one. Super annoying.

Hi,

Congrats to whomever posted an acceptance to Harvard's Clinical Psychology Ph.D. program on thegradcafe. Would you mind sharing your POI? Thanks!

Loma Linda PsyD
Contacted via email 2/13 by admissions coordinator
Interview day: 2/29

Hi,

Congrats to whomever posted an acceptance to Harvard's Clinical Psychology Ph.D. program on thegradcafe. Would you mind sharing your POI? Thanks!
I would like to second that congratulations to the Harvard admit on Grad Cafe and I would also love to know your POI if you are comfortable PMing that information. Thanks!

I also would greatly appreciate the POI at Harvard, and huge congratulations to you on this wonderful success.

John f. Kennedy University- Clinical Psychology, PsyD interview date: 2/09

I recently had an interview with JFK University for the PsyD clinical program. I am nervous as to when and how they will notify applicants. Does anyone know how the process will take?

First time applying, straight out of undergrad, definitely not getting accepted anywhere this time. I really don't want to have to wait another year to reapply. It was certainly a learning experience.. Compared to my peers, I'm at the top, but compared to the quality students who apply to these programs, I'm bottom of the barrel for now. Just venting... anyone else in the same boat?

Yeah, I tried applying to Florida Institute of Technology's Clinical Psy.D. program and I haven't been asked to interview. Final e-mails go out this week and I'm not in that batch either. Sad day is sad.

I really think missing the deadline to take the Psych GRE subject test and lack of field experience is what put the final nail in my coffin. Though of course the grad admissions office says I could still be accepted, this isn't much consolation.

I'm thinking I'll go back to my hometown and get some Master's elective courses that could transfer elsewhere out of the way. I'm hoping April gets here soon so I can know it's really over and wait for the next year. :/

Charles Mueller, U of Hawaii at Manoa, 2/13/12. Clinical Psychology. Personalized email. Phone interview to be set up in next few weeks. SO EXCITED! (Hawaii is my "cool life" school option-- anyone have any feedback on the program etc?)

First time applying, straight out of undergrad, definitely not getting accepted anywhere this time. I really don't want to have to wait another year to reapply. It was certainly a learning experience, but I am dreading the idea of spending another year at my undergrad institution (going to do the shoe-in masters program for a year). It's my best bet to stay there though because I should have a few pubs by next year, as opposed to starting on a new research team with a new mentor somewhere else for only a year. Compared to my peers, I'm at the top, but compared to the quality students who apply to these programs, I'm bottom of the barrel for now. Just venting... anyone else in the same boat? And those who followed this path, how was it applying the second time around? Did you feel you were much more qualified?
Hey there. So I am in my late 20s and in my third round of applications. I received interviews last year but no offers, and this year I have 2 offers and I am still waiting on my top choice. I competed against a lot of straight out of undergrads, and this year in particular I think most of their odds were slim. There was a glut of applications at almost every program (I should know I applied to 19:). These were well qualified applicants too. The Coordinator at one school I applied for said that he literally was getting calls from students who asked why they had not received an interview and he could find nothing wrong with their applications and credentials, and every other year they would have been invited to interview. All that is to say... this was a tough year everywhere and as a younger applicant with less research experience it was hard to get into a funded program. My advice to you would be to get into a research lab that is researching what you are interested in researching during your PhD program. I truly believe that the days where investigators say "Well her research experience is in X but she says what she is really interested in is Y so maybe I should give her a try." is over. Out of my contacts anyone who was looking to switch research disciplines this year (lets say from Autism to Dementia for instance)...did not get an invite because their experience is in another area of research within the clinical psychology field. This is how competitive things are getting, and it is not fair considering a bad economy may just leave you happy to get a job in any lab at all, but these appear to be the realities right now. Additionally, rock your GRE, network, and publish publish publish. Applications are always time consuming, but they get easier. Talk to other clinical psychologists who interview potential students or have been through the process, start early, and be organized because there is no denying this is competitive and with the economy and the internship crisis, this is only going to get worse. Don't lose hope though it can be done and next year you will feel like a veteran :)

Last edited:
Congrats to whomever posted an acceptance to Louisiana State University's Clinical Psychology Ph.D. program on thegradcafe. Would you mind sharing your POI? Thanks!

Hi all - I'm in the boat as some recent posters and agree with their frustration. I have 1 clinical interview in a few weeks, but if that doesn't work out, i have a question for you: would it be better for me to go to a counseling masters program for then next 2 years, or try to get a research assistant/experiment coordinator job for the next year and re-apply.

reactions/thoughts welcome, I'm new at this.

First time applying, straight out of undergrad, definitely not getting accepted anywhere this time. I really don't want to have to wait another year to reapply. It was certainly a learning experience, but I am dreading the idea of spending another year at my undergrad institution (going to do the shoe-in masters program for a year). It's my best bet to stay there though because I should have a few pubs by next year, as opposed to starting on a new research team with a new mentor somewhere else for only a year. Compared to my peers, I'm at the top, but compared to the quality students who apply to these programs, I'm bottom of the barrel for now. Just venting... anyone else in the same boat? And those who followed this path, how was it applying the second time around? Did you feel you were much more qualified?

My first time applying to clinical psych PhDs was last year, straight out of undergrad. I only applied to 6 programs, as I was in my last semester of school and very busy, and received one interview, which did not extend an offer. With the year I retook the GREs (did better), volunteered in an outpatient clinic, tutored students in psych, and worked with two different research labs at my undergrad University.

Second time applying I have had much better luck. I applied to 10 PhDs in Clinical as well as 5 MA/MS programs as back up (I cannot take another year off of school!). So far I have received 3 interview invites and was contacted by a new graduate level prof that is interested in working with me at a University that I didn't even apply to. I learned so much after applying last year and feel that I really did it right this time around. The main difference being, and I know you have heard this elsewhere, MATCH MATCH MATCH! I looked at nearly every program in the country and their admission stats, if it looked like I had a chance, I then checked out the profs online and if I matched with one or more of them I applied. So to answer your question, I did certainly feel that I was more qualified the second time around, but not only in my credentials, also in the selection and application process.

i would like to know the person who got accepted to LSU's POI too please! :D

Haven't heard anything from Cincinnati. Doing a quick search, it seems they are usually late notifiers.
Haven't heard back from University of Cincinnati, but if anyone does will you please post any information!! The stress of not knowing is awful, best of luck to everyone!

Loma Linda University
Clinical PsyD
notified via e-mail on 2/13/12
Interview 2/29/12

Haven't heard back from University of Cincinnati, but if anyone does will you please post any information!! The stress of not knowing is awful, best of luck to everyone!
I just called the grad administrator at U of Cin (clinical PhD). It seems like invites for interviews should be sent out within the next two weeks. Oh well, at least she provided a time frame!

So I guess the list on Page 1 isn't getting updated anymore?

So I guess the list on Page 1 isn't getting updated anymore?

Well... I've been traveling across the country this month on my own interviews and posted that it would take me longer that usual to update this page. Be patient, it's not something that I can just sit and finish in five minutes.

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to get your thoughts on something -- I am going to another interview later this month, and was wondering if asked should I tell them I have an acceptance somewhere else? The only reason I haven't accepted the other school's offer is simply due to location and job opportunities for my husband. The school I will be interviewing at offers a better job market for him. I want to interview there in the hopes of getting an offer, if their funding would be equivalent to what I was offered at the other school and of course match with faculty and feel for the school. Thoughts?

I heard from a friend who interviewed at Boston University this past weekend that they had around 800 applicants this year. This is such a crazy process and there are many amazing applicants that don't get accepted or interviewed in a given year simply because of the numbers.

I also know several professors who weren't accepted the first time they applied. You can get in to a top-choice program if you work hard this next year to improve your application. Don't give up!!

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to get your thoughts on something -- I am going to another interview later this month, and was wondering if asked should I tell them I have an acceptance somewhere else? The only reason I haven't accepted the other school's offer is simply due to location and job opportunities for my husband. The school I will be interviewing at offers a better job market for him. I want to interview there in the hopes of getting an offer, if their funding would be equivalent to what I was offered at the other school and of course match with faculty and feel for the school. Thoughts?

I don't think you have an obligation to share any information about other interviews or acceptances you have. I'm not sure what you would say if you were asked directly about other interviews or offers though.

Hi Everyone,

I had an interview today where I was asked again what my two top choices were and what were the features drawing me to each school. I haven't received an offer from either school yet but I think the correct way to answer this question is honestly. If they ask you if you have any offers I would say yes, from X, but given A, B, & C about this program (wouldn't mention husband's opportunities a reason), I would likely choose your school over X if given the choice between the two.

When asked about which school I would choose between hypothetical offers I have simply said that given how competitive the process is I have made an effort not to get a head of myself, and I don't know which I would actually choose if forced to choose. I think this is probably the best way to answer the question if you aren't sure that the school you are interviewing with is your first choice.

Okay so I am still waiting to hear from some schools. I noticed on here that one person mentioned they heard from University of Houston and another heard from University of Kansas (both Counseling PhD) Has anyone else heard from these schools?
I called these 2 schools today and asked if they had sent out interview invites and both schools told me no but that they should be sent out by the end of this week. So I am just a little confused?:confused:
Also has anyone heard from Washington State University (Counseling PhD)? (i havent seen anything on here about it yet)
And Lastly any news from UNT (counseling PhD) and if so how were you contacted? I tried to contact them today but the lady there was COMPLETELY RUDE. It was so discouraging considering this was my top choice school. :(
I normally wouldn't call, and I understand the frustration with those that do call, but I currently attend FSU and they changed our email addresses in DECEMBER! yea major pain. I had contacted every school to notify them of this change, but I started to worry maybe something happened and for some reason UNT didnt change my email and they emailed the wrong address and I some how missed my notification. ah anyways I am just ranting, just a little frustrated ya know? I mean this is a stressful time. And we are partially the reason these people even have a job, they should be thankful students are so interested in their program and thus treat them in such a way. eh either way any bit of info would help. Sorry I am new to all of this and never dreamed it would be this frustrating or disappointing.
Best of luck to all of you who have received interviews! :)
Also, any info on schools offering you interviews to their masters program when rejecting you for their PhD program?? 2 out of the 5 schools I have been rejected from so far have done this. Any comments/personal experience with having this happen? I am not really sure how to take it?

And Lastly any news from UNT (counseling PhD) and if so how were you contacted? I tried to contact them today but the lady there was COMPLETELY RUDE. It was so discouraging considering this was my top choice school. :(

I called UNT for a quick question on GRE scores (I was retaking the new one, and it would arrive exactly when my application was due) and she was very rude to me too so don't worry about it she is probably getting a tons of calls since application process started.
I saw applications were extended for UNT Clinical the 1/26 I believe? It's strange because my POI e-mailed me 1/13 that they didn't have a part of my app and to get it to them asap or if I wanted my app to be removed from consideration. Of course I wanted my app there and forwarded them the material, but since then I haven't heard anything. No rejection or acceptance. I am thinking I am probably in the waiting list.
The only rejections I have received so far is from Arizona State and University of Louisville. Still waiting on UNT, U of Houston, Iowa State, U of Pitt (I've heard invites have been offered already), Colorado State (fingers crossed :xf:), UT-EP (clinical masters), & Texas Tech (HDFS program though).

I just graduated this Dec. thinking I would be hearing good news by Feb. and I had to learn the hard way that I am probably going to be applying to schools for another two rounds at least, and that I might have to re-take the GRE (average score) in order to get in the game.

BTW, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to vent here and express their stories. They're definitely comforting to someone like me that has considered horrible alternatives for not getting in the first round of the application process !

Interview day for the UNT Counseling PhD program is this Friday (the 17th), so if you haven't been notified by now I would assume that you will not be invited to the interview day. Sorry for the bummer news.

School name: Hawaii - Manoa
Program type/track: Clinical Studies
How were you notified: E-mail
Interview dates offered: TBD

...brah :cool:

Has no one heard yet from University of Maryland Baltimore County? The campus visit day is next week.