2011-2012 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Duh.. I'm an idiot. I guess it's being updated.

However, I bet it would be easier if you put it in the same format that's being used... for all our reading ease and pleasure.

What issue do you have with the way it's being updated?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are doing a terrific job at keeping pace with the updates. Thanks again for your time :).

Aw thanks. FYI: I'll update when I get into work everyday. So depending on how lazy I'm feeling that day it might be 8am or 12pm or somewhere in between.

Out of curiosity, do you know if it was a mass e-mail or an e-mail from the POI? I know people that applied to places last year and heard from a POI up to a month before a mass invite was sent out. Just trying to keep hope alive :)

I don't know, but I can ask next time I talk to her (which is most likely tomorrow!) I hope you'll get an invite!

Oklahoma State undergrad here. I believe they always try and get all interview invites out by Dec. 22nd for their Clinical Ph.D.

Hi, Oklahoma State sent out a mass denial email for their clinical psychology phD program.

hey everyone, new to the forum. applied to 17 clinical programs - looking forward to keeping everyone updated on interviews/rejections. thanks for starting this thread.

I got an interview invite for Oklahoma State University today (12/21). The Interview is on Feb 11th for the Clinical PhD program. Invite was an e-mail from clinical director.

Last edited:
@ syzergy

I didn't realize you were updating that main list at the beginning.. which was my initial "issue" (but it was more of a confusion). But then I realized you were.

Then, I was only suggesting to other people that they update it in the same format as you so that it's easier to follow before it's been updated in the master sheet.

That's all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invite from the University of Tulsa yesterday for January 27th. The POI emailed me after she had tried to call my cell phone but`couldn't reach me.

Edit: That was the Tulsa invite I talked about yesterday. Apparantly I had been logged in to SDN on her computer and she decided to post this herself without realizing she was using my account. :) She's making her own account now!

Last edited:
I got an interview invite from the University of Tulsa yesterday for January 27th. The POI emailed me after she had tried to call my cell phone but`couldn't reach me.

Edit: That was the Tulsa invite I talked about yesterday. Apparantly I had been logged in to SDN on her computer and she decided to post this herself without realizing she was using my account. :) She's making her own account now!

Could you please PM me your POI? Thanks!

This is a great resource to have. Thanks for taking this on syzergy!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it's inappropriate to ask if it's possible to stay with a graduate student if the university didn't offer it upfront in the interview invite?

Bahh.. three of my schools had already sent out invites at this time last year but this year there's been nothing! I'm going bananas already and it's not even Christmas! This forum is awesome and so dangerous at the same time.

psychology-joke-pavlov.gif

Originally Posted by Psychadelic2012
UC Irvine called with interview invites on 12/14/11.

Maybe they didn't call everyone the same day.

They definitely called me on the 17th. I'm sure they couldn't get to everyone all in one day - interview on January 30th.

Originally Posted by Snickelfritz
Has anyone else heard anything from USC?

That's what I'd like to know as well!

Yes. They sent out an email on 12/16 with interview invites for January 13th. It's on the main list. But I don't think they're done sending out invites yet. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Snickelfritz
Has anyone else heard anything from USC?

Yes. They sent out an email on 12/16 with interview invites for January 13th. It's on the main list. But I don't think they're done sending out invites yet. Good luck!
would you mind PMing me your POI?

Received an interview invitation by phone from my POI for the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Clinical PhD program. Interviews on 1/27.

Received an interview invitation by phone from my POI for the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Clinical PhD program. Interviews on 1/27.

congratulations! I was waiting when uw milwaukee would start with invites. now I'm getting anxious. do you mind PMing me your POI?

congratulations! I was waiting when uw milwaukee would start with invites. now I'm getting anxious. do you mind PMing me your POI?

Congrats!

I am anxiously waiting on UWM as well. Would you please PM your POI as well? Thanks so much.

Instead of spamming this thread asking for POI PM's, please just PM them yourself. If they don't feel comfortable answering, they won't and it'll keep this thread from getting cluttered.

Instead of spamming this thread asking for POI PM's, please just PM them yourself. If they don't feel comfortable answering, they won't and it'll keep this thread from getting cluttered.

That is a great idea! You may want to add that to the original post. Either way, I imagine you'll have to repeat this multiple times.

Does anyone know if it's inappropriate to ask if it's possible to stay with a graduate student if the university didn't offer it upfront in the interview invite?

Give it a little time, someone will connect with you to talk about the logistics of your trip. Some schools pay for hotel or have grad students board interviewees. I interviewed at two programs last year and did not have to provide my own lodging. When they contact you to bring up the details of your trip you can ask about staying with someone or what the plan is.

I feel like we are going to start to have a bunch of days in a row with no invites being sent out at all. Anyone else get this feeling with the holidays coming up?

I feel like we are going to start to have a bunch of days in a row with no invites being sent out at all. Anyone else get this feeling with the holidays coming up?
Agreed.. I wonder how soon after the new year it will start back up!

Yeah... which is why I'm really hoping to hear something today! After today, I doubt we'll hear anything until after the holiday.

Congrats to those who have gotten interview invites!

For those who've had a chat with POI's over the phone, what was the format for these conversations? How should we prepare?

Thanks!

Congrats to those who have gotten interview invites!

For those who've had a chat with POI's over the phone, what was the format for these conversations? How should we prepare?

Thanks!

In my experience it seemed to be a typical interview format even over the phone. The POI asks you questions about your research and interests and tries to get a better feel for what experience you have and what you're looking for in a program and advisor. Then they ask you if you have any questions and you make intelligent and meaningful inquiries about the POI and their work, as well as aspects of the program that you want to know more about. Then it's done! :)

In my experience it seemed to be a typical interview format even over the phone. The POI asks you questions about your research and interests and tries to get a better feel for what experience you have and what you're looking for in a program and advisor. Then they ask you if you have any questions and you make intelligent and meaningful inquiries about the POI and their work, as well as aspects of the program that you want to know more about. Then it's done! :)

Thank you for your response! What questions would be appropriate to ask at this time (as opposed to during the on-site interview, if we get to that point!)?

Long time reader, first time poster. Thank you all for your help and input! It's great to have a support team during this nervewracking process.

Just a quick question; has anyone heard from Stony Brook? I noticed on the last two invite threads, invitations for invites were released the 18th and the 21st. I'm guessing for all schools, if we don't hear by the end of the day, we probably wont hear until after the holidays.

Long time reader, first time poster. Thank you all for your help and input! It's great to have a support team during this nervewracking process.

Just a quick question; has anyone heard from Stony Brook? I noticed on the last two invite threads, invitations for invites were released the 18th and the 21st. I'm guessing for all schools, if we don't hear by the end of the day, we probably wont hear until after the holidays.

I'm in the same boat for this one. Haven't heard anything. They are probably just running later than usual this year.

Hello and Congrats to everyone!

I just got a mass email from Indiana University at Bloomington for their School Psychology PhD program (12/22). Interview dates range from 1/27 - 2/3.

>< waiting for many many more (hopefully) :xf::xf::xf::xf:

Could the people who got interviews @ USC PM me with their POI? I know that interview invites are extended on a rolling basis so it would be good to know if my POI has already begun sending those out. Thanks!

It was bothering me that the rest of us haven't heard back from UWM about interviews so I snooped on their website and found this:

"We will begin considering candidates for admission beginning the first week of January, 2012, and typically invite approximately 30 people to campus for an interview day held in early February."

So I guess we can calm down a bit?

Thank you for your response! What questions would be appropriate to ask at this time (as opposed to during the on-site interview, if we get to that point!)?

I think it would partially depend on what things you end up discussing with your POI during the first part of your interview. I feel like safe bets include asking about current or future projects, their lab environment/mentoring style, etc. If you have done your homework and get into a good conversation over a shared research interest be prepared to ask something sort of specific in that area. Honestly, I think many of the questions may overlap from phone to in-person interviews but at least over the course of the campus interviews you'll be interacting with others and receiving more information that may allow you to ask more in depth questions (things about funding, etc.). I would prioritize a few questions that are good but not super detailed for the phone interview and then worry about the others when you get the in-person interview (hopefully!).

I received my interview invite this morning to University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Clinical PhD program via e-mail from my POI!!!

So excited!

MSPP sent out an email with interviews for Clinical PsyD applicants - January 27th.