2011-2012 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received a mail saying that I was put on hold for consideration. Judging from what other people have written on the forum that is even lower than the alternate list (which in turn is lower than the high priority alternate list)? I'm a little bit confused by this. Can someone clarify this for me please?

Members don't see this ad.

I just received a mail saying that I was put on hold for consideration. Judging from what other people have written on the forum that is even lower than the alternate list (which in turn is lower than the high priority alternate list)? I'm a little bit confused by this. Can someone clarify this for me please?

My understanding that you can get one of four possible decisions:
Accept, Alternate, Hold for Spring Consideration, Reject.

Alternate is only given out when spots in the class are either filled or extremely limited. A large percentage of people on the alternate list are eventually admitted in the spring.

Hold for Spring Consideration means that the admissions committee isn't really sure what to do with your application. When the interview season is over they will re-review you and either place you Alternate list or reject you.

I'm still waiting to hear back and would be appreciative if you could post when you interviewed.

Thanks and good luck.

Alternate is only given out when spots in the class are either filled or extremely limited. A large percentage of people on the alternate list are eventually admitted in the spring.

Hold for Spring Consideration means that the admissions committee isn't really sure what to do with your application. When the interview season is over they will re-review you and either place you Alternate list or reject you.

I'm still waiting to hear back and would be appreciative if you could post when you interviewed.

Thanks and good luck.
This is mostly correct. Though last year, not everyone that was alternate listed was accepted according to SDN.
Some people were also accepted directly from the hold list, without being placed on the alternate list.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is mostly correct. Though last year, not everyone that was alternate listed was accepted according to SDN.
Some people were also accepted directly from the hold list, without being placed on the alternate list.

Yup I dont think there is a high alternate list. never heard of it.

If it was like last year, you have a good shot if you are on the alternate list. There are many people in our class who were accepted off alternate list (and some even hold) in May/June

Thanks and good luck.

I interviewed Dec 22. So from what you are saying they have not started to put people on the alternate list yet and ppl that could land in that list are being placed on the hold for consideration group for now? In any case when does the interview season end?

I interviewed Dec 22. So from what you are saying they have not started to put people on the alternate list yet and ppl that could land in that list are being placed on the hold for consideration group for now? In any case when does the interview season end?

I thought they already put ppl on the alt list?

I just caught this. A "decent" school is an Ivy, MIT, or UChicago.

gonna be tough for you. almost no chance if you aren't URM. Especially since MCAT is a standardized test. your gpa will help if you are from a decent school (ivy, mit, uchicago etc).

Received an II this morning. I had originally been on hold for Fall grades.

Hope this gives some people hope that are still waiting! Good luck everyone.

PS Does anyone have any info on number of acceptances vs. matriculants? I scanned the thread but couldn't find anything

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an II this morning. I had originally been on hold for Fall grades.

Hope this gives some people hope that are still waiting! Good luck everyone.

+1 got an II today after being on hold for the same thing

sooo is it better to be on hold for spring consideration or to be alt listed. it seems to me alt list is actually better sicne accordign to the posts so far, most alt list ppl get in.

sooo is it better to be on hold for spring consideration or to be alt listed. it seems to me alt list is actually better sicne accordign to the posts so far, most alt list ppl get in.

Just check the Downstate threads from last year. The alternate list is very good and has a significant level of movement.

Has anyone who applied MD/MPH heard anything back yet? I received notification that I was complete with entire application 12/21/11....anybody in a similar position hear anything?

Does anyone have any experience with linkage applications to Downstate? I am a postbac applying though a linkage agreement from Columbia. Everything has been submitted and am waiting to hear about an interview. I'm curious about how long it takes to hear anything. I spoke with Dr. Terracina (Dean of Students) at my med school fair two weeks ago and she said if I had not heard anything in two weeks, to email them. I'm thinking of sending an email either tomorrow or Monday to her (or admissions) and ask, but nerves are getting the better of me, haha, and I don't want to put them on the spot or anything like that.

Just check the Downstate threads from last year. The alternate list is very good and has a significant level of movement.

do you have any suggestions as to what I should do so I could be shifted from the hold for spring consideration to alt list?

Has anyone who applied MD/MPH heard anything back yet? I received notification that I was complete with entire application 12/21/11....anybody in a similar position hear anything?

I applied to the MD/MPH program. The MD and MPH applications are handled separately. I received an II yesterday for the MD program and I assume I will hear from the MPH adcoms later??

do you have any suggestions as to what I should do so I could be shifted from the hold for spring consideration to alt list?
This is hearsay, but from what I've heard is that they re-review everyone. Looking at it objectively, you should update them if you have something significant to add. If not, you might consider telling them why they would be one of your top choices. It can't hurt to send something like that, though I don't know how much it would help.

PS Does anyone have any info on number of acceptances vs. matriculants? I scanned the thread but couldn't find anything

haha i see you from cornell. cornell kids make up ~9% of the class this year. good luck!

schools usually accept between 1/3-1/2 of their interviewees. which is can be up to twice their class size.

Anybody receive acceptance for the MPH program, with their MD application still pending? I received US Postal mail notification of acceptance to MPH program for June 2012 entering class, but no word from MD program re: interview...would love to hear if there have been any other people in this similar situation...

regarding the MD/MPH jazz: I got my MD acceptance over a month ago and I just received my MPH acceptance last week

Anywhere from 6-8 weeks usually, up to 10-12 if necessary. Mine was around 10 weeks.

Has that disclaimer always been at the bottom of your posts? Also, for the research/shadow a student day, is there any difference between shadowing a student that day and shadowing a student another day. Will I still get to see the same things and whatnot?

Has that disclaimer always been at the bottom of your posts? Also, for the research/shadow a student day, is there any difference between shadowing a student that day and shadowing a student another day. Will I still get to see the same things and whatnot?

No, it hasn't. I added it a while ago, but I thnk depending on if I'm posting from SDN mobile app on my phone or the website, it may or may not appear.

On the Research Day in April, there is a "nicer" lunch that will be served and it's also an opportunity for you guys to see some research presenters. Last year, I just went for the shadowing. If you shadow a student on non-research day, you'll just follow the student for the whole day and have lunch with him/her in the cafeteria. (The short answer is no there aren't any tangible differences other than lunch).

My advice is to pick a day when you're free and just request to shadow that day, if you don't want to wait til Research Day. I'm on the list of students who volunteer to shadow, so if that day works for me, I may end up as your host. I'm hosting two students in the coming weeks..pretty exciting to meet prospective students! :D

Even though I'm participating as a host in Research Day, I can tell you that it falls on a day right before one of our exams on thursday, so we may not be our "perkiest". Check out the calendar and see which day works for your schedule and what day has some activities that sound interesting to you.

Put "on hold" yesterday, for a 1/4 interview date, so about 5-6 week turnaround for bad news at least. :( I really liked the school, and thought I had my best interview yet there, so this is kinda disheartening.

Put "on hold" yesterday, for a 1/4 interview date, so about 5-6 week turnaround for bad news at least. :( I really liked the school, and thought I had my best interview yet there, so this is kinda disheartening.

thin envelope?

I withdrew from the wait list so hopefully someone else can have my spot :)

Yes, the hold letter comes in a thin envelope, since it's just a single piece of paper.

rejected today via snail mail. pre-interview. good luck everyone.

pretty sure every type of decision comes in thin reg envelope. probably going to go to research day, probably will have separate day to do full day shadowing. btw, even though i got downstate acceptance in the first week, its been my only one. talk about luck.. :laugh:

So got an II for 3/29. Too late for anything good to come of it? Still planning on attending it! :)

Has anybody who interviewed the week of 1/9-1/13 heard back yet?

Edit: Hold for Spring Consideration letter today. Ouch.

Last edited:
No, it hasn't. I added it a while ago, but I thnk depending on if I'm posting from SDN mobile app on my phone or the website, it may or may not appear.

On the Research Day in April, there is a "nicer" lunch that will be served and it's also an opportunity for you guys to see some research presenters. Last year, I just went for the shadowing. If you shadow a student on non-research day, you'll just follow the student for the whole day and have lunch with him/her in the cafeteria. (The short answer is no there aren't any tangible differences other than lunch).

My advice is to pick a day when you're free and just request to shadow that day, if you don't want to wait til Research Day. I'm on the list of students who volunteer to shadow, so if that day works for me, I may end up as your host. I'm hosting two students in the coming weeks..pretty exciting to meet prospective students! :D

Even though I'm participating as a host in Research Day, I can tell you that it falls on a day right before one of our exams on thursday, so we may not be our "perkiest". Check out the calendar and see which day works for your schedule and what day has some activities that sound interesting to you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that is pretty good advice.

Got hold for spring consideration letter this Friday, 2/17. It was dated 2/14. II 1/9. OOS.

Last edited:
Honestly, you have a really good chance of getting in regardless of when you interview.

How about someone who has yet to hear anything at all and was completed last year?

How about someone who has yet to hear anything at all and was completed last year?

The best I can tell you is that they interview through April. I've had friends who have interviewed in late March. Other than that I don't know what to tell you buddy. Can't really make a prediction about that.

Hey guys - as for financial aid applications, as far as I can tell we just submit FAFSA and the Downstate App for Institutional Aid. Do we need to send signed copies of our & our parents' 2011 tax returns? I would call the office but they're closed and I want to send them asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.