2011-2012 University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I Interviewed in October but I wasn't in the first wave of acceptances. :) (yet)

Here are my thoughts:

Congratulations
I am so happy for everyone who got an acceptance letter/status update. It must be such a great feeling. You guys give me hope that the UCLA machine is now fully greased and operational. Hope we can all share in that joy in the coming days and weeks.

Hope
Now, as I have looked at the small sample size of acceptances at mdapplicants.com, it has become obvious to me that a good number of the acceptances in the first wave (yesterday) have such a stellar application that they have other fantastic acceptances or full tuition scholarships at very very wonderful schools already.
Examples:
http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=22228
http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=22617
http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=23098
http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=24173

Hence, there is BOUND to be a lot/or a good amount of movement on the waitlist even after "March 30th." I am not implying that all these people will choose not to attend UCLA, but they have very very remarkable options :)

At any rate, for those still waiting for acceptances keep your heads high and your smile bright. You are closer to getting in to UCLA than you are currently giving yourself credit for!

Love.

this is the shiz. thank you for your thoughtfulness, im right there with you, and with this being the only school ive interviewed at, and my top choice ;), im really hoping for good news too! :bow:

Members don't see this ad.

from reading last year's thread, it looks like there were "waves of acceptances" that involved accepting around a 1/3 of the accepted pool/wave til march 31st. does anyone know if they're doing the same this year, or are they done accepting ppl til march 31st?

from reading last year's thread, it looks like there were "waves of acceptances" that involved accepting around a 1/3 of the accepted pool/wave til march 31st. does anyone know if they're doing the same this year, or are they done accepting ppl til march 31st?

The only thing thats 100% established is that they have to accept at least 121 by march 30th, well, if we are assuming they follow aamc rules....My question Is this, do you guys think they have accepted 121 already? It seems like a ton of people have had status changes

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping so. If what others were saying about 120+ acceptances by March 30th are true, then maybe they haven't sent out all 120 yet. I'm probably going to call on Monday.

If you do this I will love you forever. :love: I'm desperately hoping this was only the first of a couple rounds of outright acceptances, but I'm not very optimistic.

If you do this I will love you forever. :love: I'm desperately hoping this was only the first of a couple rounds of outright acceptances, but I'm not very optimistic.

I'll probably even ask in person since I live in LA anyways. But, ya, will let you and everyone know what I find out. I definitely think we'll have another wave or two though. I'm going off on what people said last year and what I heard from the Dean during interview day.

Do you know if letters are only sent on Fridays? If so, there goes my week

Just checked my status after putting it off all weekend... letter sent!!!! Freaking out right now, I hope it's an acceptance like people are saying.

Yes, I'm considered disadvantaged and received a letter sent

I'll probably even ask in person since I live in LA anyways. But, ya, will let you and everyone know what I find out. I definitely think we'll have another wave or two though. I'm going off on what people said last year and what I heard from the Dean during interview day.

What did you find out?

I called the office this morning. She said that they haven't filled their whole class yet, and that they'll continue to send out acceptances until the end of march until the class is full. After that, they'll have to wait until may 15 when a lot of ppl withdraw their applications. So theres still hope for us in the near future!!

Those of you with letters sent. Did you send in your transcripts before hand? I'm wondering if they consider you before or after reciving your officials transcripts :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I will refrain from looking at my status until after March 20th, but will keep checking my mail hoping for a surprise :)

I never sent my transcripts in, I was told only after acceptance a few times but I'm sure they will take them sooner. However, I don't know if they are taken into consideration.

What did you find out?

Spoke to them this morning and they were really nice about it.

Okay, so a good portion (they didn't tell me how big specifically) of applicants have received their letters. The only thing I know is that they have not admitted anywhere near 120. So, another wave or two is likely before March is out. Even then, those not admitted in March still would have a good chance afterwards since only slightly more than 120 are normally admitted by the end of March.

Good luck everyone!

Okay, so a good portion (they didn't tell me how big specifically) of applicants have received their letters. The only thing I know is that they have not admitted anywhere near 120. So, another wave or two is likely before March is out. Even then, those not admitted in March still would have a good chance afterwards since only slightly more than 120 are normally admitted by the end of March.

Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the beta!

Good luck everyone!

You are amazing :love: Ive been wondering about this info all weekend long.

The accepted applicant checklist link is up on the status page

Whoohoo! That said, I'm probably withdrawing my spot due to other acceptances. . . hope it goes to one of you guys! :D

Whoohoo! That said, I'm probably withdrawing my spot due to other acceptances. . . hope it goes to one of you guys! :D

Lol thanks. Btw tuition has gone up so much in the past couple of years. Since 2010 there has been like a $8,000 increase

Lol thanks. Btw tuition has gone up so much in the past couple of years. Since 2010 there has been like a $8,000 increase

Whooooo, California!

There are events/demonstrations/occupations about it at my school pretty much every week. They're not as big as they used to be, but they still happen regularly.

Whooooo, California!

There are events/demonstrations/occupations about it at my school pretty much every week. They're not as big as they used to be, but they still happen regularly.

Definitely something to think about for prospective out of staters... the 8k increase only accounts for increases from 2010 to 2011, its only gonna go up more. This budget crisis situation is crazy...

I am in state. I do not mind that 8K increase compared to what I would be paying at at an OOS.

Just got the decision letter here in SF and I am so pumped to return for second look!!!

Good luck to those still waiting to here back.

Just got the decision letter here in SF and I am so pumped to return for second look!!!

Good luck to those still waiting to here back.

if you dont mind me asking, how do you rate columbia and hopkins in comparison to ucla (pros/cons)

I am in state. I do not mind that 8K increase compared to what I would be paying at at an OOS.

True, but imagine what any increases must feel like to OOS students thinking about UCs. I know that tuition increases have gone up like crazy for OOS students in the undergrad programs. It's bad enough that they all basically pay a $25k "fee" to come to our great state schools.

I found an answer to your question on the financial aid page. Basically, your first year as an out of stater (based on last year's prices) will cost at the very least $73,000, and would cost $61,000 if you become an in-stater (and there is a 100% chance you'll pay way more than this because of rises due to the ongoing crisis).

Here are the rules they linked on the Geffen page:

"To establish California residence, an adult student at least 18 years of age must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, other immigrant, or eligible alien who meets all of the following requirements:

-has been physically present in the state for 366 days prior to the residence determination date (RDD) of the term for which he or she wishes to be considered a resident
-has the intent to make California his or her home (as opposed to coming to California for the purpose of attending school)
-is financially independent (see note) if his or her parents are not California residents as defined by UC.

Note: The financial independence requirement makes it extremely difficult for most undergraduate students whose parents are not California residents, including students from community colleges and other post-secondary institutions within California, to qualify for classification as a resident at the University of California. Transfer students who were classified as residents of California at their previous school should not assume that they will be classified as residents at UCLA."

source: http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/residence/establish.htm

I think OOS tuition is about 12k more/year over IS for med school at UCLA right now. Need to look into whether you can gain residency after first year.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Weird. From the tone of the Finaid talk, they made it sound like it would be easy to attain IS status. Maybe the rules were changed recently?

Weird. From the tone of the Finaid talk, they made it sound like it would be easy to attain IS status. Maybe the rules were changed recently?

if you look more closer at that post, you will see that it says "undergraduate student." Its basically saying that because most OOS kids at UCLA undergrad are still going to be financially dependent on parents, fat chance getting in-state tuition. I think this is a mute point for Geffen though. I specifically asked two separate times (one student and the financial aid guy) "will I get in-state residency after the first year" and both assured me yes without hesitation.

If I turn out to be wrong, then that sucks and I'm sorry, but I felt they pushed very strongly that OOS students would only suffer more financial that first year, and that they basically made sure that you got your IS status by second year.

hope I'm right for all of our sakes! now if I could only get "letter sent"...

if you look more closer at that post, you will see that it says "undergraduate student." Its basically saying that because most OOS kids at UCLA undergrad are still going to be financially dependent on parents, fat chance getting in-state tuition. I think this is a mute point for Geffen though. I specifically asked two separate times (one student and the financial aid guy) "will I get in-state residency after the first year" and both assured me yes without hesitation.

If I turn out to be wrong, then that sucks and I'm sorry, but I felt they pushed very strongly that OOS students would only suffer more financial that first year, and that they basically made sure that you got your IS status by second year.

hope I'm right for all of our sakes! now if I could only get "letter sent"...

I definitely remember them saying that, perhaps they just need to update their website.

http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/offices/fao/budget.cfm

look at where it says: **To establish California residence for tuition purposes, click here.

Last edited:
I definitely remember them saying that, perhaps they just need to update their website.

http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/offices/fao/budget.cfm

look at where it says: **To establish California residence for tuition purposes, click here.

yea i remember looking at this earlier. in no way do I want to start an argument about this, I'm just posting what I was told at the interview. I don't think the financial aid staff would straight up lie about the ability to get residency, nor would OOS students that have done so in the past. I guess if the requirements have/are changing, things could be different. either way, i'll worry about this when/if UCLA becomes an option for me haha.

When I first moved to CA for grad school I was in the same position. You will get residency after a year of living in CA on scholarships, loans, and grants. Save your plane ticket receipt and save your ATM or purchase receipts to show your continued presence. Register to vote, get a CA license and open a CA bank account. File CA taxes as an independent. Don't let your parents claim you as a dependent and don't let your parents pay for your schooling the first year. You'll be fine.
In the end, the only people who didn't get residency after the first year were those people who didn't follow these instructions.

Last edited:
How are we supposed to reply about our acceptance? Does it have to be via mail to the address on the letter?

Accepted just now! Received an email from the financial aid office saying, "Congratulations!" Funny that it's from the financial aid office and not the Dean.

Accepted just now! Received an email from the financial aid office saying, "Congratulations!" Funny that it's from the financial aid office and not the Dean.
Congratulations!!! Did you get "Final Decision Letter Sent" before the Congratulations email in your status page?

Was your status page changed beforehand?

Congratulations!!! Did you get "Final Decision Letter Sent" before the Congratulations email in your status page?

To be honest, I haven't checked it in a while. I checked it after I got the acceptance email and it indeed said "Letter Sent" on 3/9/12. So I'm not sure if it was there before or not.

Also, I never sent in my transcripts for those of you stressing about it.

Good luck!

Has the "accepted student checklist" link disappeared from anyone else's applicant status site?

Could someone PM me the link?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just called. It's not supposed to be available yet. They're still working on it and so took it down for a few days until it's ready. Take care!

Woo thanks for the updat Sam, nearly had a heart attack!

Status
Not open for further replies.