2011-2012 University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone set up that FB group yet? Gotta start looking for potential roommates. I have to reactivate my FB now that I've been accepted lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I called the Admissions Office earlier today and they said the next wave of acceptances will be going out late Saturday night/early Sunday morning, and these offers will be made over the phone so y'all better not be drinkin for St Patty's Day! (jk of course, but we definitely need some comic relief)

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the Admissions Office earlier today and they said the next wave of acceptances will be going out late Saturday night/early Sunday morning, and these offers will be made over the phone so y'all better not be drinkin for St Patty's Day! (jk of course, but we definitely need some comic relief)
Did they say why they're doing it over the phone this time? That's kind of interesting...thanks for calling heymon32!

Did they say why they're doing it over the phone this time? That's kind of interesting...thanks for calling heymon32!

I think the person was joking...although I want to be accepted here soon so I can't discount anything.

Are most people happy at Weyburn, because it didn't appear that way on yelp?

I would say most people are pretty happy at Weyburn. Sure, some of us grumble about the expense (I pay $1,252/month for a studio), but all utilities are included. If you share a 2 bedroom in Weyburn, I believe you are paying between $1,000 and $1,100 (someone sharing correct me on this?). Even if you somehow find a 2 bedroom for $1600 and split with a roommate, you would be paying close to $950 or more once you account for electricity/internet/trash/gas and whatever fees they tack on. I have even heard of some apartment complexes charging for water.

I know cheaper housing exists in Santa Monica and Culver City, and some of our classmates do commute from there, but it's really about what you value. For me, I commuted every year of undergrad and I'm sick of it, so being able to live in a really nice complex within 15 minutes walking distance to lecture/labs is worth the extra $50-$100.

Further, you might find that time becomes almost more important than money once you start medical school. You HAVE to seriously consider the amount of time it takes to commute (biking or driving) to and from class as well as to the nearest grocery store, etc. It only takes me less than 5 minutes to drive to any one of our three grocery stores (yes, I drive 2 blocks... :p). I am sure you already considered this, but I just wanted to point out that budgeting time can be a huge issue in your first year.

Again, I don't think many people are unhappy living in Weyburn. Some people do plan on leaving Weyburn once the year lease is done, but most of them are doing it to move in with significant others.

Good luck on finding housing! Feel free to ask any specific questions. :)

Do any current med students have any inside info on any possible letters going out tomorrow?

I think the person was joking...although I want to be accepted here soon so I can't discount anything.
Oh, I thought the person was just joking about the whole drinking thing. At least that's what it sounded like. Not sure why someone would joke about calling the Admissions Office...lol.

I would say most people are pretty happy at Weyburn. Sure, some of us grumble about the expense (I pay $1,252/month for a studio), but all utilities are included. If you share a 2 bedroom in Weyburn, I believe you are paying between $1,000 and $1,100 (someone sharing correct me on this?). Even if you somehow find a 2 bedroom for $1600 and split with a roommate, you would be paying close to $950 or more once you account for electricity/internet/trash/gas and whatever fees they tack on. I have even heard of some apartment complexes charging for water.

I know cheaper housing exists in Santa Monica and Culver City, and some of our classmates do commute from there, but it's really about what you value. For me, I commuted every year of undergrad and I'm sick of it, so being able to live in a really nice complex within 15 minutes walking distance to lecture/labs is worth the extra $50-$100.

Further, you might find that time becomes almost more important than money once you start medical school. You HAVE to seriously consider the amount of time it takes to commute (biking or driving) to and from class as well as to the nearest grocery store, etc. It only takes me less than 5 minutes to drive to any one of our three grocery stores (yes, I drive 2 blocks... :p). I am sure you already considered this, but I just wanted to point out that budgeting time can be a huge issue in your first year.

Again, I don't think many people are unhappy living in Weyburn. Some people do plan on leaving Weyburn once the year lease is done, but most of them are doing it to move in with significant others.

Good luck on finding housing! Feel free to ask any specific questions. :)
I'm going to add on to this...

There's a ton of traffic in LA, especially Westwood, so commuting is much worse than you'd think. If it were up to me, I would live in Weyburn for the convenience and move out 2nd year once I get comfortable and settled in.

Oh by the way, acceptmepleaz, are you a medical student? Just wondering because it seems from your other posts that you are currently applying to medical school. :confused:

I was totally joking about calling the office. My apologies for not making the "jk" more clear. I weighed the benefit of comic relief against the few seconds of emotion-jerking and thought it was worth it. I, too, am anxiously awaiting word from UCLA and really hope tomorrow brings another wave of offers.

I was totally joking about calling the office. My apologies for not making the "jk" more clear. I weighed the benefit of comic relief against the few seconds of emotion-jerking and thought it was worth it. I, too, am anxiously awaiting word from UCLA and really hope tomorrow brings another wave of offers.

lol. definitely got me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha...it's hard to tell when people are joking online because we don't have the tone of voice or body language to support the words. At least the poster clarified afterwards.

anyone feel like calling (bugging) them today to ask if we should expect more status updates today or if we can just relax til next week? I have a midterm in an hour that I'm already freaking out about or i would call haha. hope we get some more closer soon!

Just an FYI, you can find an apt for MUCH less than Weyburn with a little effort. I live literally 2 minutes from Weyburn in a 2 bedroom/2 bath, and my roommates and I each pay around 625 (including trash, gas, water). The only thing we add on is electricity (around 60 every two months for the entire apt) and internet (60 a month for the entire apt)...

If you're willing to share a room with somebody, I would say the westwood apts are a much better deal.

I'm not denying that the 2Br's I'm seeing might not be garbage (I'm not in the area to check), but a quick CL search does reveal several at that price ($1595).
There seem to be a lot at Veteran Apartment Homes: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/2897830783.html
Do you guys know anyone who lives in this complex?

How do most people find their apartments?

Are most people happy at Weyburn, because it didn't appear that way on yelp?

Cheers.

I'm a first year, I live in Weyburn, and I would agree with acceptmepleaz that most of the class is happy at Weyburn. Probably 90% of students live in Weyburn their first year, and about 50% of students choose to stay in Weyburn for a second year.

I agree that the Yelp page makes Weyburn sound bad, but I totally disagree with those reviews. Maintenance is always very responsive to any requests, the apartments are clean and new, the appliances work, laundry is in the building, the parking garage is right below your apartment. We all walk to and from class together, the gym is nearby, it's easy to get to social events at any time since most people live together, and it's easy to get to school. I'd definitely recommend living in Weyburn.

Oh by the way, acceptmepleaz, are you a medical student? Just wondering because it seems from your other posts that you are currently applying to medical school. :confused:

Yep, med student. Maybe you were looking at my posts from last year?

Yep, med student. Maybe you were looking at my posts from last year?
Turns out I was looking at someone else's other posts :rolleyes:

How are you liking UCLA and why did you end up choosing to attend? Any regrets or complaints?

I'm a first year, I live in Weyburn, and I would agree with acceptmepleaz that most of the class is happy at Weyburn. Probably 90% of students live in Weyburn their first year, and about 50% of students choose to stay in Weyburn for a second year.

I agree that the Yelp page makes Weyburn sound bad, but I totally disagree with those reviews. Maintenance is always very responsive to any requests, the apartments are clean and new, the appliances work, laundry is in the building, the parking garage is right below your apartment. We all walk to and from class together, the gym is nearby, it's easy to get to social events at any time since most people live together, and it's easy to get to school. I'd definitely recommend living in Weyburn.

Awesome. Thanks for this.

One question. Do you know if it's still possible to get unfurnished studio's or 2Br's in Weyburn?

Cheers.

Just an FYI, you can find an apt for MUCH less than Weyburn with a little effort. I live literally 2 minutes from Weyburn in a 2 bedroom/2 bath, and my roommates and I each pay around 625 (including trash, gas, water). The only thing we add on is electricity (around 60 every two months for the entire apt) and internet (60 a month for the entire apt)...

If you're willing to share a room with somebody, I would say the westwood apts are a much better deal.

From your post it sounds as if you're sharing a 2Br with more than one other person for that rate. Is that correct? If so, the same argument could be made for Weyburn, although I don't think I'd like to sleep 3 people to a 2Br.

Just called the admissions office--she just said what we have heard before. If we are going to be accepted in the first 121 spots, we will hear by the end of March. If not, we will have to wait until the end of May.

Just called the admissions office--she just said what we have heard before. If we are going to be accepted in the first 121 spots, we will hear by the end of March. If not, we will have to wait until the end of May.

so they wont even say if any will go out today?

I didn't ask that specifically, so you could try. I just asked if she knew when the next group of acceptances would be going out.

From your post it sounds as if you're sharing a 2Br with more than one other person for that rate. Is that correct? If so, the same argument could be made for Weyburn, although I don't think I'd like to sleep 3 people to a 2Br.
I'm not ninersfan0, but I do believe the poster is sharing a room with someone. If the poster wasn't, the 2 br/2 bath would be 625 x 2 = $1250, which is literally impossible in LA. It'd make more sense if there were a total of 4 people living there, which would mean the apartment is about $2500, but of course, I'm not the poster, I'm just speculating and trying to make some inferences to help :)

Awesome. Thanks for this.

One question. Do you know if it's still possible to get unfurnished studio's or 2Br's in Weyburn?

Cheers.

I live in an unfurnished 2 bedroom, but I have heard that they are making progress towards furnishing all of the apartments in Weyburn. All of the apartments that I have seen other than my own are furnished.

That might be another reason (besides saving money) why 50% of people choose to move out after first year -- if you have a furnished apartment it can feel a little like a dorm, and the proximity to campus might be a little "too close" for some people.

Last edited:
I live in an unfurnished 2 bedroom, but I have heard that they are making progress towards furnishing all of the apartments in Weyburn. All of the apartments that I have seen other than my own are furnished.

That might be another reason (besides saving money) why 50% of people choose to move out after first year -- if you have a furnished apartment it can feel a little like a dorm, and the proximity to campus might be a little "too close" for some people.

This is why I ask.

I'm older and would like to keep my furniture if possible. Especially my bed. I'd miss my bed.

This is why I ask.

I'm older and would like to keep my furniture if possible. Especially my bed. I'd miss my bed.
I know a few people at Weyburn who moved into unfurnished apartments this year...maybe you should call the graduate housing office and ask if there will be unfurnished apartments next year?

Well it's past 4pm, anyone with new decision letter sent?

Turns out I was looking at someone else's other posts :rolleyes:

How are you liking UCLA and why did you end up choosing to attend? Any regrets or complaints?

Besides DGSOM being a fantastic school? Mainly the location--I was a UCLA undergrad and I knew I wanted to stay in L.A. Because I was working on a couple of research projects at UCLA prior to applying, I wanted to remain affiliated with UCLA/DGSOM so I could continue with at least one of the projects. I was also very unhappy with Keck's financial aid offer and I really wasn't loving the idea of having to commute to medical school...

These are all personal decisions that apply to me specifically. One of the more general reasons I love DGSOM is its focus on training you as a top physician. Step 1 is so important, and DGSOM definitely prepares you for that, but even more importantly is your ability to work with patients. The school provides you with so many quality opportunities to interact with patients (both standardized and real) very early on in its curriculum. And not very many schools can claim to have the "best in the west" hospital with amazing physicians who are so eager to teach you :)

Besides DGSOM being a fantastic school? Mainly the location--I was a UCLA undergrad and I knew I wanted to stay in L.A. Because I was working on a couple of research projects at UCLA prior to applying, I wanted to remain affiliated with UCLA/DGSOM so I could continue with at least one of the projects. I was also very unhappy with Keck's financial aid offer and I really wasn't loving the idea of having to commute to medical school...

These are all personal decisions that apply to me specifically. One of the more general reasons I love DGSOM is its focus on training you as a top physician. Step 1 is so important, and DGSOM definitely prepares you for that, but even more importantly is your ability to work with patients. The school provides you with so many quality opportunities to interact with patients (both standardized and real) very early on in its curriculum. And not very many schools can claim to have the "best in the west" hospital with amazing physicians who are so eager to teach you :)

Based on your own personal perception (not on what others have said), do you think that the ucla undergrads that interviewed at dgsom have a better chance of admission than others who interviewed? In other words, does dgsom end up interviewing a ton of ucla students and only accept a third of them, or a good portion of them? Ps if you feel you dont want to share this info with everyone just message me.lol

From a friend of mine, I hear that there's no bias towards or against UCLA undergrads, but I don't think anyone TRULY knows except the admissions committee.

From a friend of mine, I hear that there's no bias towards or against UCLA undergrads, but I don't think anyone TRULY knows except the admissions committee.

I think you misinterpreted my question, let me rephrase. I was asking f the ucla students who interview tend to have an incidentally higher odds of admission. This doesnt have to be due to bias necessarily, it could be a coincidence (maybe ucla undergrads tend to do better in certain criteria than other premeds). I just meant to ask if the dgsom student thought those from ucla who interview have greater chances due to any reason, not bias in particular

The best way to answer this question is to say that UCLA is the most represented undergraduate university in our class (followed by Berkeley, USC, and Stanford). This is because those are great schools (except for USC, lol), so yes the applicant from those universities are pretty competitive. But it also has to do with people who live in SoCal for undergrad usually like to stay in SoCal for medical school, so intrinsically, a lot of UCLA people will matriculate on their UCLA acceptance (because its the best Med school in what they believe is the best part of the country).

The flip side though is going to one of those universities is also very competitive, so your stats may be lower by the fact that you had to compete against some of the best undergrads in the country. The admissions committee does believe UCLA is a great undergrad university, but sticking out in the population of UCLA students is hard when it has such a high applicant pool. Then they have to standardize where an above average UCLA student compares to applicants from other schools.

I'm gonna put it simply...UCLA is trying to accept the best students (and the most likely to come given that acceptance). I don't believe there is any bias except that the most applicants come from schools like UCLA, USC, stanford, and cal, so the probability of selecting students from those are high and they are most likely to come to UCLA being in CA for undergrad.

Mmmm, I believe you mean the best medical school in the known universe? lol Good old Dean Parker

The best way to answer this question is to say that UCLA is the most represented undergraduate university in our class (followed by Berkeley, USC, and Stanford). This is because those are great schools (except for USC, lol), so yes the applicant from those universities are pretty competitive. But it also has to do with people who live in SoCal for undergrad usually like to stay in SoCal for medical school, so intrinsically, a lot of UCLA people will matriculate on their UCLA acceptance (because its the best Med school in what they believe is the best part of the country).

The flip side though is going to one of those universities is also very competitive, so your stats may be lower by the fact that you had to compete against some of the best undergrads in the country. The admissions committee does believe UCLA is a great undergrad university, but sticking out in the population of UCLA students is hard when it has such a high applicant pool. Then they have to standardize where an above average UCLA student compares to applicants from other schools.

I'm gonna put it simply...UCLA is trying to accept the best students (and the most likely to come given that acceptance). I don't believe there is any bias except that the most applicants come from schools like UCLA, USC, stanford, and cal, so the probability of selecting students from those are high and they are most likely to come to UCLA being in CA for undergrad.

out of the UCLA students that you knew who interviewed, what proportion of them would you estimate were accepted (sorry to beat a dead horse, but i really want to know how you guys perceive this. lol):D

Hey, does anybody know how we accept the offer from UCLA? My letter says we need to send in the acceptance form in two weeks, but the form is not included in the packet they sent.

Edit: I don't see the accepted checklist people have been talking about on the status page, and I also don't see the acceptance form attached to the email they sent me.

Last edited:
Hey, does anybody know how we accept the offer from UCLA? My letter says we need to send in the acceptance form in two weeks, but the form is not included in the packet they sent.

Edit: I don't see the accepted checklist people have been talking about on the status page, and I also don't see the acceptance form attached to the email they sent me.

Youre turning down ucsf for ucla?

Money might be an issue, so I want to see both financial aid packages before I make a hard and fast decision.

thats definitely a wise decision, because although UCLA will be more expensive overall (and the 5k scholarship is only a one time thing), who knows, maybe ucsf will increase tuition even more this year. As for your question, based on last years thread, it was sufficient enough to mail/email the admissions office saying "I accept this offer of admission".

thats definitely a wise decision, because although UCLA will be more expensive overall (and the 5k scholarship is only a one time thing), who knows, maybe ucsf will increase tuition even more this year. As for your question, based on last years thread, it was sufficient enough to mail/email the admissions office saying "I accept this offer of admission".
Four-year cost of attendance at UCLA is lower (237k) than UCSF (251k). This is excluding need based aid or the 5k from Geffen.

Edit: Although the average indebtedness is about 10k lower at UCSF. Again, might be due to need based aid.

Last edited:
Four-year cost of attendance at UCLA is lower (237k) than UCSF (251k). This is excluding need based aid or the 5k from Geffen.

Edit: Although the average indebtedness is about 10k lower at UCSF. Again, might be due to need based aid.

hmm...interesting. the ucsf site has been updated for 2012-2013 costs, but not the ucla site. i guess we will see. thanks for clarifying though, i always wondered how much aid differs between the UC med schools...

hmm...interesting. the ucsf site has been updated for 2012-2013 costs, but not the ucla site. i guess we will see. thanks for clarifying though, i always wondered how much aid differs between the UC med schools...
Yep, and the average debt at UCSD is the lowest among UC schools (~94k, or 7k lower than UCSF). I think it's mostly due to the very reasonable and abundant student housing available through UCSD (not the case in SF or Westwood).

Yep, and the average debt at UCSD is the lowest among UC schools (~94k, or 7k lower than UCSF). I think it's mostly due to the very reasonable and abundant student housing available through UCSD (not the case in SF or Westwood).

wow, so UCSD med students have $17,000 less debt than UCLA? thats a pretty big difference considering theyre both part of the UC system

Exactly. If you go to La Jolla, you would expect housing prices to be astronomical considering the location. But, take a close look and you'll notice that there are apartments/condos/houses EVERYWHERE. More places than there are people (mostly students) to fill them. It's a good life down there!

So.... Any predictions as to when more acceptances will come out? I'm guessing this Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.