2011-2012 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been "Applicant in Process" for about two months now. Should I contact them to see what's up? I'm IS and have decently high stats. I would hope that I would get some lovin' from my state school.

Members don't see this ad.

the "Decision Pending" sign gives me chills every time I see it. :scared:

any post-interviewees in here waiting for the end of this month / early Nov per Dean Girotti's talk?

any post-interviewees in here waiting for the end of this month / early Nov per Dean Girotti's talk?

I am...:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my secondary early July and my status just changed from "application in process" to "applicant in process" for the first time. If I get an interview here, it's going to be legen -wait for it- dary, LEGENDARY!! And I'll get to suit up.

I have been application in progress since I submitted 7/23. What is going on here?

I called the school today and asked about my status. As some of you may know, I've been "applicant in process" for quite some time (about 2 months). I submitted my secondary at the end of July and ever since then, I've been "applicant in process."

The person from the school said that "applicant in process" means that our application is in line to be reviewed by the reviewers and that the application has not been reviewed yet. It was also mentioned that the status can change from time to time from "applicant in process" to "application in process." Apparently, these two statuses mean the same thing: we are in line to be reviewed.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit and hopefully, our applications can get reviewed soon! :luck:

Now, I know there is a large post detailing the various statuses (it's in this thread but I can't seem to find it right now), but perhaps that post is out of date?

Any thoughts?

ps, good luck everyone !!:xf::luck::xf:

I called the school today and asked about my status. As some of you may know, I've been "applicant in process" for quite some time (about 2 months). I submitted my secondary at the end of July and ever since then, I've been "applicant in process."

The person from the school said that "applicant in process" means that our application is in line to be reviewed by the reviewers and that the application has not been reviewed yet. It was also mentioned that the status can change from time to time from "applicant in process" to "application in process." Apparently, these two statuses mean the same thing: we are in line to be reviewed.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit and hopefully, our applications can get reviewed soon! :luck:

Now, I know there is a large post detailing the various statuses (it's in this thread but I can't seem to find it right now), but perhaps that post is out of date?

Any thoughts?

If that is what the office of admissions says, then I would say that it should true. So I guess hopefully whatever our status may say, let's hope to see dates come up!

Last edited:

Any thoughts?

Here is the Status link that you might have been looking for:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823480&page=3

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss finally "applicant in process"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IS and complete mid July :) :xf:

They receive about 8000 applications, narrow that down to 800 interviews, and they send ~650 acceptances to fill their class.

ahh! Do you think September people will hear back this week (tomorrow)? Or do you think it'll happen with the October kids (i.e. the end of Oct/first week of Nov)?

ps congrats on CCOM!!! that's fantastic. :clap:

Hope this weekend was a good one for some of you applying to UIC. I was wondering if I should contact the office and just make sure nothing screwy was going on with my application...

I've had an "application in process" since July 12. I'm in state with a 4.0 and 32R and a load of EC's. I am doing my best not to get neurotic over this, but I can't figure out what's going on with my application... I was counting on my instate to be a pretty sure bet with my stats, but am wondering where I am sitting lately with UIC.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same position. I am in-state 32 MCAT, 3.7 GPA. Lots of clinical and research experience plus additional non-medical community service. I was application in process since the summer. My status just recently changed to applicant in process. I thought I would hear from UIC much earlier since it is my in-state school. I hope we hear something in the next couple of weeks. :xf:

Hope this weekend was a good one for some of you applying to UIC. I was wondering if I should contact the office and just make sure nothing screwy was going on with my application...

I've had an "application in process" since July 12. I'm in state with a 4.0 and 32R and a load of EC's. I am doing my best not to get neurotic over this, but I can't figure out what's going on with my application... I was counting on my instate to be a pretty sure bet with my stats, but am wondering where I am sitting lately with UIC.

Any advice?

hey, ericmont, when were you marked as complete by uic?

7/7/2011
I went to UIC for undergrad
I go to UIC for my masters (in the college of medicine)
Almost all of my letters of rec were from UIC professors (1 in the college of med)
I have lots of in the area (near UIC, all in Chicago) extracurriculars

I feel that these^ have to do with me getting an invite. Some of you may be in-state applicants but if you really haven't had much interaction with the Chicago community (in particular the UIC area) you may still have some difficulty getting that "in-state love," just my opinion.

Last edited:

Any advice?

Relax you are over thinking it. There is some discrepancy between what the admissions office says about "application vs. applicant in progress" and what our forum cohorts have come to define them as. At least one person contacted the office and was informed that there is little difference between the two statuses. That 4.0 GPA is impressive, and I expect the admissions committee will recognize it when they get to your application. As people have explained, they started with really high test scorers from elite schools. If you were not a 36+ MCAT from an elite school they may have put you a little bit lower in the pile, but as the admissions process goes on, many of those students will choose to matriculate elsewhere. Additionally, there is a rumored algorithm that determines whether you get an interview or not, so that 4.0 should help you get the interview. Just chill and ride it out. This process is very random, and it is useless trying to predict it. There is a method to the madness, and I doubt you will be overlooked.

Good Luck!:luck:

7/7/2011
I went to UIC for undergrad
I go to UIC for my masters (in the college of medicine)
Almost all of my letters of rec were from UIC professors (1 in the college of med)
I have lots of in the area (near UIC, all in Chicago) extracurriculars

I feel that these^ have to do with me getting an invite. Some of you may be in-state applicants but if you really haven't had much interaction with the Chicago community (in particular the UIC area) you may still have some difficulty getting that "in-state love," just my opinion.

So, in your "UIC opinion" :) would you say that being a graduate student at Rush, the next door neighboor of UIC, that I stand a better chance? All my letters are from professors at Rush, and I volunteer in Chicago hospitals, as well as Chicago running events. Obviously I live in the city, and I'm pretty involved in Chicago. I was complete a month and a week after you though :(

Relax you are over thinking it. There is some discrepancy between what the admissions office says about "application vs. applicant in progress" and what our forum cohorts have come to define them as. At least one person contacted the office and was informed that there is little difference between the two statuses. That 4.0 GPA is impressive, and I expect the admissions committee will recognize it when they get to your application. As people have explained, they started with really high test scorers from elite schools. If you were not a 36+ MCAT from an elite school they may have put you a little bit lower in the pile, but as the admissions process goes on, many of those students will choose to matriculate elsewhere. Additionally, there is a rumored algorithm that determines whether you get an interview or not, so that 4.0 should help you get the interview. Just chill and ride it out. This process is very random, and it is useless trying to predict it. There is a method to the madness, and I doubt you will be overlooked.

Good Luck!:luck:

Thanks for the advice. That's what I was thinking too; and believe me I really wasn't too anxious until this past week, it's just been on my mind a bit. A part of it is most likely the "october 15th mentality" (or so I like to call it....). I tried calling the office of admissions today and the phone rang for about 45 seconds before I hung up haha.

Thanks again, Hope everyone is hearing some good things.

So, in your "UIC opinion" :) would you say that being a graduate student at Rush, the next door neighboor of UIC, that I stand a better chance? All my letters are from professors at Rush, and I volunteer in Chicago hospitals, as well as Chicago running events. Obviously I live in the city, and I'm pretty involved in Chicago. I was complete a month and a week after you though :(

They probably think you are going to rush, lol just kidding. No I think you just need to be patient...

hi everyone,
My status has been this for about 1-2 week now:

- - Recommendation(s): 2 received from AMCAS, expecting a total of 2, awaiting Admissions Officer letter review-

what does that mean? I would have to wait a while to get the "in progress" or "in process" status?

hi everyone,

- - Recommendation(s): 2 received from AMCAS, expecting a total of 2, awaiting Admissions Officer letter review-

what does that mean? I would have to wait a while to get the "in progress" or "in process" status?

yes. They are waiting to get all your letters, and until they have them all, they will not process your application

ahh! Do you think September people will hear back this week (tomorrow)? Or do you think it'll happen with the October kids (i.e. the end of Oct/first week of Nov)?

ps congrats on CCOM!!! that's fantastic. :clap:

idf27

It looks like its either going to be this Thursday or the next:( I see that you have already been accepted ..congratulations:)

Hey guys,
I was wondering if any current students could tell me what the process is like for getting assigned to a campus. How do you know if you'll be at Chicago vs. Peoria, etc?

Thanks

idf27

It looks like its either going to be this Thursday or the next:( I see that you have already been accepted ..congratulations:)

aw! well you know we're already officially c/o 2016 so a few more days won't hurt...much. :laugh: thanks! this was my top choice going into the process though, so :xf::xf::xf:

So if you interview late in the cycle (like January through March) are you basicallly screwed out of a Chicago spot? Or are there still lots of Chicago spots open by then?

Has anyone gotten an interview invite lately? How many dates have been done already and how many left are there? Thank you!

So if you interview late in the cycle (like January through March) are you basicallly screwed out of a Chicago spot? Or are there still lots of Chicago spots open by then?

It all depends on the applicants with the acceptances to the school and if they prefer which campus. If in the current cycle alot of applicants in with early acceptances decided to stay in the chicago track, then many students may not have these spots. but if people may choose to go elsewhere or select a different track then you may get a chicago spot. it seems in general then some student do get the chicago track even if they interview around jan-march. best of luck and lets see what happens this cycle!:)

Has anyone gotten an interview invite lately? How many dates have been done already and how many left are there? Thank you!

I signed up last week and there were a few in Nov. in Peoria and Rockford and then numerous dates left in December and beyond at all sites.

Woot! Interview Invite!!
Need to call to schedule it. :)

For those interested, you can check my mdapps, or:

3.3-ish cGPA, sciGPA
30S MCAT

:love:

:luck::luck:everyone

I am beyond puzzled and frustrated that my app has not even been reviewed yet.....

hi everyone,

Mine says the same thing and I'm confused. What is this Admissions Officer letter review? They said they got my 2 letters, 1 from a doctor I shadow and 1 that is a letter packet of 3 letters from professors....should i just call or what??

Same here. This is my IS school and I've been complete since August. The waiting is killing me...:confused:

Same. I've called twice, too, and both times they just say my app is in line to be reviewed. But I'm IS, and I've been complete since mid July.... So I don't know what's with the wait??

Same. I've called twice, too, and both times they just say my app is in line to be reviewed. But I'm IS, and I've been complete since mid July.... So I don't know what's with the wait??

I'm in the same boat. I love how the schools you expect to be slow are the fastest and vice-versa. Applications never cease to amaze.

Mine says the same thing and I'm confused. What is this Admissions Officer letter review? They said they got my 2 letters, 1 from a doctor I shadow and 1 that is a letter packet of 3 letters from professors....should i just call or what??

wannabeadoc,

I called the admissions and they checked the letters for me immediately. I'm am now "applicant in process"

You should call to speed up the letter review (which means somebody has to make sure all ur letters are in)

what number are you guys calling? I keep getting extension not available when I call......

what number are you guys calling? I keep getting extension not available when I call......

I got the same message yesterday when I called. However, if you follow the instructions (you either stay on the line, or dial a number..not sure) to talk with someone, it'll forward you to the Admissions office anyways.

Hope that helps!

wannabeadoc,

I called the admissions and they checked the letters for me immediately. I'm am now "applicant in process"

You should call to speed up the letter review (which means somebody has to make sure all ur letters are in)
Thanks! I was going to call today but when I checked the status today it had changed to "application in process" so I guess I'm good...now for some more waiting! woot woot!

You can only call on Thursdays. Trust me, I've already called 2x to ask why my app has been neglected, haha

Now that it's the third Thursday, I've moved on from chills to stomach flip-flops.

Good luck to everyone! I hope this isn't a fourth Thursday year...

Now that it's the third Thursday, I've moved on from chills to stomach flip-flops.

Good luck to everyone! I hope this isn't a fourth Thursday year...

anxiously waiting as well ..literally checking the status update page every 5 mintues:scared::scared::scared:

Didnt they say we'd find out via snail mail? in the last week of october? or will it actually be online?

Didnt they say we'd find out via snail mail? in the last week of october? or will it actually be online?

Someone said it would be snail mail rather than by phone, if I remember right, but I don't remember any mention of the online system at all. In years past they seem to have used the site, so they may be using it this year too.

ah okay. I'm pretty sure we were on the same interview day (the first day they interviewed) so good luck to you!

ah okay. I'm pretty sure we were on the same interview day (the first day they interviewed) so good luck to you!

Thanks very much! Good luck to you too.

On my interview day (this last Tues. Oct. 18th), we were told that we would likely find out the decisions by the end of the month/beginning of next month. This leads me to believe they are meeting next week and not this week.

Yup, you're more than likely right. The same non-specific "by the end of the month" was mentioned to us too. As long as there's some chance they meet today though, I'm sure we're all going to keep checking that status page. : )

Status still says decision pending..oh well it looks like another week of waiting.....:scared::scared::scared:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.