2011-2012 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
out of curiosity, is MAY status better than FURTHER status?

Members don't see this ad.

been a long debate....no sure answer....leaning towards saying may is better though

Members don't see this ad :)

no one knows. people with both statuses got interviews last year at about the same rate.

edit: oops, I was too slow.

i would think so because doesn't that mean a priority score has already been made for the "may" people placing them in line whereas the "further" ones haven't had one yet and aren't in line yet?

that's just my reasoning

not nec true b/c admin lady said i had a priority score even though i had the further status.

The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail in March.

Complete since about mid-July...who knows what this means

maybe "MAY" has a higher priority score than "FURTHER" statuses?

is there any correlation to which applicants received interview invites first and invites to rejections per status? (probably not, but a long shot)

is there any correlation to which applicants received interview invites first and invites to rejections per status? (probably not, but a long shot)

From previous posts:

It has been speculated that the two messages could be correlated to a certain priority score, but this has not been substantiated by the ADCOM.

Does VCU review applications in order? I was complete on 7/27 and haven't received a status update...wonder if that's a bad sign

i agree with this, and think there is a correlation that isn't based on numerical stats alone and we therefore can't determine easily.

think about it--MAY = we may be unable to interview you
further = we interview through whenever and will try getting to you.

in my mind, there's a better option. but this isn't the MCAT's VR section :laugh:

Just got the Very Interested status yesterday!!!!! OOS, MCAT 27-29, gpa 3.8-4.0. :soexcited: This is my first choice! :love: I hope I am not celebrating prematurely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the Very Interested status yesterday!!!!! OOS, MCAT 27-29, gpa 3.8-4.0. :soexcited: This is my first choice! :love: I hope I am not celebrating prematurely.

my prediction of your future: "interview to acceptance" :luck:

Is there usually a time gap between the application marked as being complete and the letter received? My app was submitted on 7/15 and letters were received on 7/29...and it's still marked as incomplete

Is there usually a time gap between the application marked as being complete and the letter received? My app was submitted on 7/15 and letters were received on 7/29...and it's still marked as incomplete
Mine took a while too after letters were received. The holdup is usually in them assigning the letters to your file. Be patient and dont worry it takes time.

wow. congrats! you must have a stellar app!!

i've heard that vcu sstarts interviewing end of august...hope the invites come soon.

Same here. I submitted 7/17 and they have received all my letters but they designated the letters incorrectly (2 non-sci and 1 sci). I'm still incomplete. Tried the help option and emailed them. Nothing. :(

Hey guys, the admissions office is busy preparing for M1 orientation week that starts Monday along with getting all your secondaries and letters of rec. So don't be surprised if it's hard to get in contact with them for the next week. It's going to be a little hectic.

i've heard that vcu sstarts interviewing end of august...hope the invites come soon.

VCU begins interviewing early descision candidates at the end of August into the beginning of September. Regular decision interviews begin the second week of September.

Hey guys, the admissions office is busy preparing for M1 orientation week that starts Monday along with getting all your secondaries and letters of rec. So don't be surprised if it's hard to get in contact with them for the next week. It's going to be a little hectic.

Also VERY true. I've been volunteering in the admissions office trying to help them prepare for orientation and it is insanely busy. Don't freak out if it takes a little while.

YAYS! :love: :luck: :hardy: :soexcited:

Thanks guys, I hope we all hear soon about interviews :luck::luck::luck:

Can someone help me decipher this? I get that they are "very interested", but does this mean that I have an interview for sure?? My wife seems to think I do, but "possible interview date" is throwing me off....

The Committee's file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. There is another increase in the applicant pool this year, but we are trying to get all candidates at your priority score interviewed as soon as possible if we have an adequate number of interview slots. Please watch for an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date.

I'm new to posting so I apologize if this was already covered :)

for anyone who was verified later than the people in june (i was verified july 29), how long did it take for you to get screened in for the secondary? i haven't gotten it yet, but i'm thinking it might be because the office is loaded with processing other peoples' secondaries, etc. what do you think? i'm pretty sure my stats are high enough to get me at least past the secondary screen...

for anyone who was verified later than the people in june (i was verified july 29), how long did it take for you to get screened in for the secondary? i haven't gotten it yet, but i'm thinking it might be because the office is loaded with processing other peoples' secondaries, etc. what do you think? i'm pretty sure my stats are high enough to get me at least past the secondary screen...

Amcas Verified 6/19, Screened in 6/28, OOS 3.8s and cGPA, 31R

Its probably because of the backlog of work theyre doing right now, I think its pretty much a universal thing for schools, all of the secondaries ive submitted in the last week are still "incomplete" but the ones I put in the first week of getting them were marked complete after a day or two at most.

Hoping to add some insight here for those paranoid of the "may status":

Last year, I received the "may" sort/of not really interested status regarding my priority score. I thought this meant it was a done deal, however I did end up getting an interview come mid-November and ultimately was accepted in December. So for those freaking out about "your priority score MAY get you an interview in future dates", I think it is a good thing and you just need to be patient. THIS IS A LONG PROCESS, don't read too much into things and just keep chugging a long with secondaries. goodluck.

Last year, I received the "may" sort/of not really interested status regarding my priority score. I thought this meant it was a done deal, however I did end up getting an interview come mid-November and ultimately was accepted in December. So for those freaking out about "your priority score MAY get you an interview in future dates", I think it is a good thing and you just need to be patient. THIS IS A LONG PROCESS, don't read too much into things and just keep chugging a long with secondaries. goodluck.

thank you for this. :thumbup:

What about further statuses?

Thanks!

Do you remember when you received the MAY status approximately? I've been sitting on it for just under one month.

I finally received the "further" status!

received the further/may status about a month prior to my interview invite. Again just kept busy and waited until they came to me..... they will come!!!!

Just venting on my favorite thread/school :love:, but I am wondering when they will start giving out interview invites. Hoepfully soon...:)

Just received the further status, but am also on hold for grades. This is weird since I'm taking all electives this semester and have completed all my pre-med classes :confused:. Hoping this is a mistake...

Apparently one of my letters didn't make it from AMCAS to VCU with the others! I emailed them yesterday to ask about it and now today I got the "complete" email. I submitted my secondary 7/26 and my other 3 letters were there the first week of July so the last 2 weeks have essentially been wasted. I assigned all my letters at the same time so clearly something went amiss along the way...I hope it doesn't cost me... Am I wrong to be upset about this??

Apparently one of my letters didn't make it from AMCAS to VCU with the others! I emailed them yesterday to ask about it and now today I got the "complete" email. I submitted my secondary 7/26 and my other 3 letters were there the first week of July so the last 2 weeks have essentially been wasted. I assigned all my letters at the same time so clearly something went amiss along the way...I hope it doesn't cost me... Am I wrong to be upset about this??

Crap happens.

Just received the further status, but am also on hold for grades. This is weird since I'm taking all electives this semester and have completed all my pre-med classes :confused:. Hoping this is a mistake...

they may simply want to confirm evidence of a trend

MSTP applicant received the "further" status today...the waiting game is killing me!! :p

they may simply want to confirm evidence of a trend

For some reason I just imagine the whole adcom staff huddled around one computer just waiting to receive an e-mail about ibelieve87's marks, thinking "Do you guys think he can do it??" "We have to keep believing!"

:)

Is anyone ever able to reach the admissions office via phone? I've tried calling everyday for the past week and every time all I get is a message. and today the office was closed due to M1 orientation. Super frustrating...

I would e-mail them instead. They are pretty good at responding to e-mails. I think I received a response to my e-mail within a day.

Out of curiosity, how do you know that you are specifically on hold for grades? Does it say that explicitly on your status? I only ask because I suspect that I might be in the same boat but don't see anything like that on my status page.

Out of curiosity, how do you know that you are specifically on hold for grades? Does it say that explicitly on your status? I only ask because I suspect that I might be in the same boat but don't see anything like that on my status page.

Below my status there is a box that says "On hold for grades." The box came up one day before my status changed from complete to further.

Status
Not open for further replies.