2012 - 2013 Official Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
School Name: Kent State
Program: Clinical Psychology
Date Interview Invite Received: 01/09
How were you notified: Email
Who notified you: POI
Interview Date: Saturday 2/23; social event the night before

Members don't see this ad.

FYI ...

The University of Louisiana (LSU) sent out a mass mail yesterday inviting applicants for interview day. It stated that if you have not heard from your POI/lab thus far, you will hear from them soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
UConn
I got an email from my POI Monday evening asking a question about my essay/future interest, but haven't heard anything since.

I received an email from my POI at UConn on 1/8 inviting me for an in-person interview. The two interview dates for that program are 2/13 or 2/15.

I recieved a rejection email from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln educational-counseling program 1/9/2013 from the program director.

Has anyone heard anything from PGSP-Stanford? Someone on Grade Cafe said they received an email for an interview on Monday, 1-7.

Someone posted they got an email from University of Missouri on GradCafe, anyone else get an email? Which campus? thx

Someone posted they got an email from University of Missouri on GradCafe, anyone else get an email? Which campus? thx

School Name: University of Missouri - Columbia
How were you notified: Email from POI
Interview Date: Friday Feb. 1st

Last edited:
Hi, I am applying to social psychology PhD programs, which may be different from clinical dates. I just joined the site - is it supposed to be only for clinical psychology or does it just happen to be mostly that way?

School Name: UC Irvine
Program: Social Psychology
Date Interview Invite Received: late December
How were you notified: Phone call
Who notified you: Graduate coordinator
Interview Date: 1/28-1/29

School Name: University of Southern California
Date Interview Invite Received: late December
Who notified you: PoI
Interview Date: informal Skype interview first, then invited to official interview 1/24-1/25

School Name: UC San Diego
Date Interview Invite Received: Early January
Interview Date: informal phone interview first, then invited to official interview 2/7-2/8

School Name: UC Santa Cruz
Date Interview Invite Received: Early January
Interview Date: informal phone interview done, waiting to hear on official interview

Hope that helps if anyone else is looking at social programs! All of the above reimburse for (some) travel expense and house you with a graduate student for the official interview. I have not hear anything from Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Florida State, and U Penn

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
School Name: CUNY at City College
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/10
Who notified you: Admissions Coordinator
Interview Date: To be scheduled

No. They are still reviewing. I'm in their MA program now. Great faculty.

From what I'm seeing on grad cafe, all the CUNY notifications were for Health and Clinical Sciences Psychology (hunter college?). Has anyone heard from straight Clinical Psychology- Queens College?

From what I'm seeing on grad cafe, all the CUNY notifications were for Health and Clinical Sciences Psychology (hunter college?). Has anyone heard from straight Clinical Psychology- Queens College?
No, I'm also waiting to hear from CUNY - Queens College. Hopefully their invites just haven't been sent out yet!

I just finished my first phone interview with the University of Utah, but haven't heard from any of the other schools I applied to (rejection or invite). Anyone know if these schools have sent out their invites yet?

Clinical:
Auburn
Boston U
Toledo (I've seen one person on grad cafe say they got an interview... anyone know if they've all been sent out?)

Counseling:
North Texas
Texas A&M

Thanks and good luck to everyone who applied!

UConn
I got an email from my POI Monday evening asking a question about my essay/future interest, but haven't heard anything since.

Follow-up: I got a reply from my POI asking if we can talk on the phone in the next few days. I think it's sort of a pre-interview? If anyone has done something like this with UConn please message me!

I was wondering the same thing, but I applied to City College. I did hear that CUNY will continue to send out interviews for the next few weeks, and interviews will go on through Feb. but I can not say for sure if it only pertains to City College, or all of the Clinical Psych programs...

I just finished my first phone interview with the University of Utah

Do you happen to know if they have already notified everyone for phone pre-interviews or if it was just your POI? I've been anxiously hoping for an email from mine!

Do you happen to know if they have already notified everyone for phone pre-interviews or if it was just your POI? I've been anxiously hoping for an email from mine!

I'm not 100% certain and the only correspondence I've had is with my POI, from what it sounds like the POIs are contacting their applicants for phone interviews and then they will decide who they will invite for on-campus visits.

I'm not 100% certain and the only correspondence I've had is with my POI, from what it sounds like the POIs are contacting their applicants for phone interviews and then they will decide who they will invite for on-campus visits.

I finished my phone interview as well. My POI said the AdCom was meeting next Tuesday to go over all the candidates they've talked to and then choose the invites from there. Good luck to all!

School Name: Kent State
Interview Date: Saturday 2/23; social event the night before
Do you know if all POI's contacted applicants on 1/9 or if they have a range of days where they could contact applicants?

Received an email from my POI inviting me for an interview on February 6th at UWM. This is for the School Psychology PhD program.

Sort of frustrating that UWM and Madison don't have their interviews closer together- but I hope the travel costs will be worth it!

I've noticed a lot of posts start with this sentence (and mine will be no different:))...

I noticed on gradcafe that someone received an email from Drexel regarding a pre-interview phone call with the lab. I applied to their clinical program and the entry doesn't specify Clinical Psychology (just says Psychology).

Has anyone here heard from the clinical program at Drexel or have any information that will put me out of my misery?

Anyone here applying there?

Some of my first choices are:
University of Rhode Island
Hofstra
Temple

But haven't heard anything back yet :(

I saw a couple of posts on gradcafe about people getting interviews for Temple today. I applied there too and am wondering who they were contacted by and whatnot. I'm hoping it was by the POIs and that some more invites will be going out soon. They said interviews are happening the end of January.

two questions:

anyone hear from urbana champaign?

also, is it safe to say that those of us who haven't heard back from FSU yet aren't getting in? lol (i see some people got an interview offer as early as 12/20...but i still haven't heard anything and haven't seen that many posts about it!)

thank you all!

I've noticed a lot of posts start with this sentence (and mine will be no different:))...

I noticed on gradcafe that someone received an email from Drexel regarding a pre-interview phone call with the lab. I applied to their clinical program and the entry doesn't specify Clinical Psychology (just says Psychology).

Has anyone here heard from the clinical program at Drexel or have any information that will put me out of my misery?

Also waiting on Drexel and haven't heard anything back for Clinical. I think we're safe for now...

Got my first interview from University of Houston today.

Contacted by POI today (01/10) by email.

Do you know if all POI's contacted applicants on 1/9 or if they have a range of days where they could contact applicants?

My guess is it's a range. I saw someone on GradCafe had been contacted at the beginning of the month for a phone interview, and I got an e-mail from my POI nearly a week later, so they may still be contacting people. Hang in there!

Also waiting on Drexel and haven't heard anything back for Clinical. I think we're safe for now...

Whew! I guess I can go back to my normal amount of anxiety, haha!

School Name: University of Maryland, College Park
Date Interview Invite Received: 01/10
Who notified you: DCT
Interview Date: Saturday 2/9; social event the night before

For those of you waiting on the following schools, I'm right there with you:

Yale Univ
Drexel Univ
CUNY @ John Jay
Fordham Univ
Rutgers Univ
St. Johns Univ
George Mason Univ
Long Island Univ

If you hear anything from any of them, please post & ill do the same! Glad to know at least losing my mind is relatively normal. Cant wait until this is over so I can have a decent's night sleep!

Any recommendations for what a female should wear when a program tells you to dress comfortably (it's an all day thing) and recommends business casual attire? I was thinking a professional looking dress and a blazer could work?
I feel like most people will still be in suits but I might be wrong...
I know it seems trivial, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :)

Any recommendations for what a female should wear when a program tells you to dress comfortably (it's an all day thing) and recommends business casual attire? I was thinking a professional looking dress and a blazer could work?
I know it seems trivial, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :)

I was talking with my PI about this a while back too. Definitely go business casual if that's recommended. A dress with a blazer sounds good to me, as long as you think you look professional in it. It's harder for females, I think - there are still so many assumptions made about our intellect and abilities just based on how we look. I'm sure there's an old-school professor or two out there who thinks that if a female is wearing a skirt she's not going to be taken seriously. But again, it definitely depends on the skirt - if a female in your department would wear it, it sounds fine. And for comfort, just make sure you can spend all day in your heels, since I'm sure there will be a lot of walking around campus.

There is a ginormous thread on interview questions - make sure to check it out. Though best not to read too deep into it; us psychology folks tend to be a bit neurotic.

I was talking with my PI about this a while back too. Definitely go business casual if that's recommended. A dress with a blazer sounds good to me, as long as you think you look professional in it. It's harder for females, I think - there are still so many assumptions made about our intellect and abilities just based on how we look. I'm sure there's an old-school professor or two out there who thinks that if a female is wearing a skirt she's not going to be taken seriously. But again, it definitely depends on the skirt - if a female in your department would wear it, it sounds fine. And for comfort, just make sure you can spend all day in your heels, since I'm sure there will be a lot of walking around campus.
Thank you so much for your advice. And thanks to Samoo too! I will check out the other thread. I really appreciate it.

School Name: Miami University (OH)
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/11
How were you notified: Phone call
Interview Date: Two dates: 2/4 and 2/8, each with a dinner the night before

Last edited:
Anyone hear from U of Arkansas-Fayetteville Clinical yet? Just curious, they sent out invites around this time last year...

Waiting too. Have not heard anything yet either. Their experimental program however has sent out interview offers/invitations.

Anyone else waiting on Loyola Maryland PsyD? I saw that a few folks had heard on gradcafe...