2012-2013 Ohio State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Essays: In your own words, define altruism and provide an example or two where you exhibited altruistic behavior in your past activities.
(600 words or less)

.Articulate your understanding of social justice versus advocacy for social justice.(600 words or less)...
The face of medicine is changing and our goal is to provide physicians prepared to serve diverse populations. Describe one or more experiences you have had with people of different racial, ethnic, or socioeconomic backgrounds or belief systems than your own, and what impact this had on you.
(600 words or less)

Is anyone else a little stumped about a) why the second one is being asked and b) how to answer?

I feel like the last question can be answered with "every day of my life" :laugh: are there really people who only interact with one ethnic group every day in this day and age?

Members don't see this ad.

It is working now. They have the best Admission Staff . They called me back to let me know that the problem is fixed.
Good luck to you all !!

after reading the essays. not fair. its obvious by your moniker that you have an inherent advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Essays: In your own words, define altruism and provide an example or two where you exhibited altruistic behavior in your past activities.
(600 words or less)

.Articulate your understanding of social justice versus advocacy for social justice.(600 words or less)...
The face of medicine is changing and our goal is to provide physicians prepared to serve diverse populations. Describe one or more experiences you have had with people of different racial, ethnic, or socioeconomic backgrounds or belief systems than your own, and what impact this had on you.
(600 words or less)

Is anyone else a little stumped about a) why the second one is being asked and b) how to answer?

The third question you have is different from mine. Mine is:

Describe one or more experiences where you collaborated or worked as part of a team with people of different racial, ethnic and/or socioeconomic backgrounds and/or belief systems than your own. What impact did this experience(s) have on you? (600 words or less)

Does anybody else have this question or the one jrut73 posted?

The third question you have is different from mine. Mine is:

Describe one or more experiences where you collaborated or worked as part of a team with people of different racial, ethnic and/or socioeconomic backgrounds and/or belief systems than your own. What impact did this experience(s) have on you? (600 words or less)

Does anybody else have this question or the one jrut73 posted?
Yea i have this one.

(600 words or less)

(600 words or less)

Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm guessing by your questions you are trying to find the angle adcoms are coming from in asking question #2 and an idea of what they are looking for in a response. This is just my opinion, but adcoms can smell BS a mile away, so answering these secondary questions and eventually interview questions according to what you truly believe will yield much better results than some attempt to psychoanalyze and regurgitate what you think adcoms want to hear.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm guessing by your questions you are trying to find the angle adcoms are coming from in asking question #2 and an idea of what they are looking for in a response. This is just my opinion, but adcoms can smell BS a mile away, so answering these secondary questions and eventually interview questions according to what you truly believe will yield much better results than some attempt to psychoanalyze and regurgitate what you think adcoms want to hear.

You're absolutely right. After thinking about it a lot this morning, my biggest problem is more so the open-ended-ness of the question. But oh well, writing away...

You're absolutely right. After thinking about it a lot this morning, my biggest problem is more so the open-ended-ness of the question. But oh well, writing away...

Yeah I feel you. It is pretty open-ended.

Sooo somehow I missed that a semester of Anatomy was required for OSU :bang:

Guess I will not be filling out that secondary.

Best of luck everyone!

Best of luck everyone!

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is the first matriculating class where they require anatomy.

Members don't see this ad :)

Best of luck everyone!

Don't despair! This is a new requirement and they are totally open to letting you take it in the spring or summer beforehand, from what I have heard/been told.

.Articulate your understanding of social justice versus advocacy for social justice.(600 words or less).

How are you guys interpreting this question? Are they asking what we think the difference between "social justice" and "advocacy for social justice" is? Or are they asking us what our understanding of social justice is and why we advocate it? lol...

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is the first matriculating class where they require anatomy.

Don't despair! This is a new requirement and they are totally open to letting you take it in the spring or summer beforehand, from what I have heard/been told.

The class of 2016 had a prereq. of anatomy before matriculation, I am pretty sure.

You can take it anytime before class starts and do not need to have it done before submitting secondaries/interviewing/getting accepted.

Last year they allowed people to take it on-line through WVU. They're pretty flexible about it, don't stress.

The class of 2016 had a prereq. of anatomy before matriculation, I am pretty sure.

You can take it anytime before class starts and do not need to have it done before submitting secondaries/interviewing/getting accepted.

Last year they allowed people to take it on-line through WVU. They're pretty flexible about it, don't stress.

This is news to me as well. Do we have to show we're planning on taking it when we send in secondaries? Or it just needs to be done prior to matriculation.

Hmmm... This could become a very sticky situation.

I mean, I would only take the course if accepted because I do not want to spend $500 or w/e it is for a community college or online cause, as I already graduated, just in hopes of matriculating here. But think about if you were accepted off the alternate list after the last summer anatomy class began. I guess if you were waitlisted you would have to take the course in the summer just in case - given you have no other acceptances or would prefer to matriculate to OSU over any other acceptances.

Interesting

I mean, I would only take the course if accepted because I do not want to spend $500 or w/e it is for a community college or online cause, as I already graduated, just in hopes of matriculating here. But think about if you were accepted off the alternate list after the last summer anatomy class began. I guess if you were waitlisted you would have to take the course in the summer just in case - given you have no other acceptances or would prefer to matriculate to OSU over any other acceptances.

Interesting

That's a problem for future-me to care about me thinks.

Interesting

Something to also consider is the face that, if I'm not mistaken, MSU starts classes in June. So if you are in school all year, just know that you will not be able to take anatomy the summer before matriculating.

Last edited:
Something to also consider is the face that, if I'm not mistaken, MSU starts classes in June. So if you are in school all year, just know that you will not be able to take anatomy the summer before matriculating.

IDK what MSU is (at least in this context), but if you meant OSU, OSU starts in August so you could definitely take the online WVU anatomy course that starts in May and ends in July before matriculating.

after reading the essays. not fair. its obvious by your moniker that you have an inherent advantage.
the adcoms do not judge you by your monikor's at SDN !! They need something more than that which we all know !!

Huh? OSU starts in the beginning of August. Are you confusing class threads?

Did anyone else get locked out of the secondary again?

Ugh, I was all ready to submit! No one is in the admissions office anymore though, might have to wait until tomorrow :(

Has anyone gotten the following message after logging in? I was able to log in this morning and see the secondary, but now this all I get and I cannot figure out how to navigate to the secondary. Any advice besides calling them tomorrow?

Navigation Collection not found

The Navigation Collection you have specified cannot be found. There are two possible causes for this error: 1) the Navigation Collection specified is invalid or no longer exist, or 2) you do not have access to this Navigation Collection. Contact your portal administrator.

Has anyone gotten the following message after logging in? I was able to log in this morning and see the secondary, but now this all I get and I cannot figure out how to navigate to the secondary. Any advice besides calling them tomorrow?

That is the same situation I am in as well.

This sucks, I am getting the same navigation collection error, and I too was able to log in this morning.
OSU's application system seems the most bloated, archaic, and ill designed of any school I have applied to thus far

Wowww I knew I was in the OSU thread but I just received MSU's secondary before making that post, so MSU was on my mind. My bad people.

I got locked out of OSU's app too. I submitted it and it said the payment did not go through, yet it definitely showed up as a pending charge on my credit card. Then I tried to log back in and was locked out.

argh I wonder if my systems physiology course (which is a combined anatomy and physio course) will satisfy their anatomy req, guess I'll have to ask them..

This sucks, I am getting the same navigation collection error, and I too was able to log in this morning.
OSU's application system seems the most bloated, archaic, and ill designed of any school I have applied to thus far
Yeah same here accessed it earlier and everything also I tried accessing it through the status check page and it was a whole different application

are you supposed to get an "application complete email" or something similar? I submitted this morning and paid, but never got any confirmation.

Im kind of stumped as to why the second question is being asked as well. Thanks for posting the Essays! Im still getting the "Navigation Collection not found" message. I think I will try to call them in the morning.

This is so weird...I have the same secondary questions as last year....and it's saying "No terms are currently available" on the first page....help?

Wait, they require anatomy as a prereq? Fuddddddddggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeee I just wasted my damn money applying here....

Wait, they require anatomy as a prereq? Fuddddddddggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeee I just wasted my damn money applying here....
You can take an online course and it will count
You can take it in the summer as well

this secondary is annoying the crap out of me. I really do not like the changes they made from last year.

Uh how do I access the secondary once I have my activation code and am logged in to my.osu? This is super confusing.

So after I clicked submit, I paid with credit card...then it just took me right back to my secondary.

Without any sign of confirmation and still being able to edit my secondary, I'm curious if it "submitted" or not. I see the pending charge on my CC statement, but that's about it for my evidence.

Anyone else have same experience?

i got the email with the secondary but never got an email with my username so i dont know how to set up my account.. how did you guys set up your username??

So after I clicked submit, I paid with credit card...then it just took me right back to my secondary.

Without any sign of confirmation and still being able to edit my secondary, I'm curious if it "submitted" or not. I see the pending charge on my CC statement, but that's about it for my evidence.

Anyone else have same experience?

I had the same thing happen to me except it even said my payment was not successful even though I had a pending charge. I called and made sure. My application was uploaded just fine.

Wow you guys are quick essay writers. This will probably take me the greater part of the weekend to write these :(

I had the same thing happen to me except it even said my payment was not successful even though I had a pending charge. I called and made sure. My application was uploaded just fine.

Thanks weezy.
2545b8e4727d14b4716e6be691f26937_thumb_Screen-shot-2011-03-31-at-4.52.19-AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.