2012-2013 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the deal is with the fact that the essay question about diversity is "strongly encouraged"? I really can't think of anything I could put here that wouldn't sound like BS so my pre-med advisor told me to leave it blank. Is that a really bad idea?

I'd say most people fill in the optional diversity statement.

Saying that, not filling it in would make you more diverse, since it'd make you part of the minority.

Members don't see this ad.

Submitted just now. Now if only my pre-med committee would write my letter!

Submitted just now. Now if only my pre-med committee would write my letter!

I'm in the same boat. I keep re-writing my secondary essays because my letters aren't in yet. I really just want to submit and be done with it.:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone been marked complete here yet?
I am, now the waiting. Does anyone have an idea of how long they take to offer interviews (or if not, how long they take to send out the rejections)?

I am, now the waiting. Does anyone have an idea of how long they take to offer interviews (or if not, how long they take to send out the rejections)?
Last year the earliest interview invites went out in early August. A bunch of people got rejection letters in October. They have a quick-moving rolling admissions process and don't seem to drag it out too long. Good luck everyone!

Last year the earliest interview invites went out in early August. A bunch of people got rejection letters in October. They have a quick-moving rolling admissions process and don't seem to drag it out too long. Good luck everyone!

:xf: stanford's curriculum seems amazing..

Stanford says they have a six letter limit, but does anyone know if a committee letter which contains 3 evaluations from separate people would count as 3 letters toward this total or one? (It only occupies one letter spot on AMCAS).

Harvard clearly states that it considers a committee letter as one letter towards their 6 letter maximum.. But Stanford doesn't have that on their website. Emailing them has not gotten a response yet so figured I would ask here.

Thanks!

For the question about future career path. I marked private practice because I would like to sub specialize in cardiology but I would also simultaneously want to do healthcare admin..does anyone know if it's ok to mark private practice? I dont want to sound like im overreaching.

For the question about future career path. I marked private practice because I would like to sub specialize in cardiology but I would also simultaneously want to do healthcare admin..does anyone know if it's ok to mark private practice? I dont want to sound like im overreaching.

Specializing in cardiology doesn't mean that you're automatically in private practice. There are cardiologists at academic hospitals that teach and do research (this would be the academic medicine choice), etc.

Also depends on what type of healthcare admin you are talking about... For example, the leadership of hospitals that are tightly affiliated with med schools often come from backgrounds of academic medicine at that particular University/hospital.

Just put down whatever corresponds with your major/primary career goal. I wouldn't get too caught up on healthcare administration at this point- you need to get into med school, through residency, etc. before this becomes a big consideration.

Just submitted the secondary.
The status page says the letters are sent on 7/1, but not yet received and therefore incomplete. Does it change only after they receive the fee and secondary?

Any one know what the deal is with the survey? The way the questions are asked and then re-phrased and asked again seems like it's a trap or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't figure out if the diversity essay is optional or not!

Last edited:
Any one know what the deal is with the survey? The way the questions are asked and then re-phrased and asked again seems like it's a trap or something.

The survey isn't used for admission purposes, so I don't think it's a "trap". It's probably used for some sort of research study they're conducting on prospective medical student attitudes.

I can't figure out if the diversity essay is optional or not!

I'm straight, white, and upper middle class. Does this essay apply to me?

It's your opportunity to differentiate yourself along any axis you want. If you have any unique attributes, interests or experiences that contribute diversity to the med school. It's doesn't have to be things that make you underprivileged, just things that make you somewhat unique and exceptional.

That's a design principle for opinion type surveys. It's hard to standardize things like a scale of 1-5 or even yes/no as people can be biased by how the question is worded, so they ask similar questions different ways so they can converge on a more stable answer when doing statistics and analysis.

If you've ever seen a Meyers-Briggs test, there is something similar going on. But sociology surveys, etc all do the same thing.

I assume it really is just for a study, since they like to do research on alll kinds of different aspects of medical education.

One more question about #9 on the secondary.

If the goal is to practice family medicine at a federally funded community health center, would that still be considered Private Practice? The only other possibility seems to be Public Health, but that doesn't really fit.

My PI (a md/phd from stanford) gave me this big long speech about how it sucked really bad and I shouldnt go unless i want to be a section chief at the CDC or have other high flying aspirations because it was expensive and extraordinarily difficult. something about you have to teach yourself almost everything.

I was like if they let me in I'll still go =D

My PI (a md/phd from stanford) gave me this big long speech about how it sucked really bad and I shouldnt go unless i want to be a section chief at the CDC or have other high flying aspirations because it was expensive and extraordinarily difficult. something about you have to teach yourself almost everything.

I don't know how reliable the MSAR is on this, but on it Stanford is one of the cheapest schools in the country.

Of course, I'm sure many students that go to Stanford get pretty hefty grants.

Edit: Also, what medical school isn't difficult? Seriously?

Last edited:

That's weird, most md/phd students have a free ride from mstp or at least have the phd fully funded, with stipend, and partial support during the md portion.

Stanford has one of the lowest debt levels of all US medical schools, like in the bottom five, just above places like the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (ie joining the military, so everything is funded).

They give straight up tuition grants to lots of people, and many students who don't get financial aid, still make lots from TAing or research to cover a large fraction of their expenses.

I'm from the area and just wanted to throw out that Palo Alto is ridiculously expensive for a suburb. Traffic can also get pretty terrible since people commute through to get to/from SF, but keep in mind it's probably no where as bad as neighboring SF or the other big cities around the US.

The school is a huge reach for me, but if anyone has any questions about the area I can at least try to help out!

I'm from the area and just wanted to throw out that Palo Alto is ridiculously expensive for a suburb. Traffic can also get pretty terrible since people commute through to get to/from SF, but keep in mind it's probably no where as bad as neighboring SF or the other big cities around the US.

The school is a huge reach for me, but if anyone has any questions about the area I can at least try to help out!

How realistic would it be to live well outside the Palo Alto area and take the Cal Train, or other mass transit, into school everyday? I have a family and would need to reduce the costs of living as best I could.

Verified 7/28. Secondary invite email 7/29.

MSAR info on Stanford is completely misleading. They do not provide much (if any) scholarships/grants to people who are from middle-income families (they do provide need based scholarships to individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds). The reason the "average debt" is so low is because a lot of students end up having wealthy parents who can afford to pay for tuition.

MSAR info on Stanford is completely misleading. They do not provide much (if any) scholarships/grants to people who are from middle-income families (they do provide need based scholarships to individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds). The reason the "average debt" is so low is because a lot of students end up having wealthy parents who can afford to pay for tuition.

Why is this Stanford-specific? Medical school students are overwhelmingly from wealthy families in general.

How realistic would it be to live well outside the Palo Alto area and take the Cal Train, or other mass transit, into school everyday? I have a family and would need to reduce the costs of living as best I could.

Verified 7/28. Secondary invite email 7/29.

The cal train station is close enough to campus to bike to, plus there are buses that connect cal train directly to Stanford so it's pretty do-able. I'd recommend a clipper card (way to store cash for public transit) as it gives you access to lowered monthly ticket rates.

A lot of people who work in Palo Alto commute from the East Bay (Fremont, Hayward, etc.) to save money. I'm not sure about the parking situation on campus, but that may be an option.

That's weird, most md/phd students have a free ride from mstp or at least have the phd fully funded, with stipend, and partial support during the md portion.

Stanford has one of the lowest debt levels of all US medical schools, like in the bottom five, just above places like the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (ie joining the military, so everything is funded).

They give straight up tuition grants to lots of people, and many students who don't get financial aid, still make lots from TAing or research to cover a large fraction of their expenses.

He was probably referring to living in/near palo alto (IE richie rich richosaurus land if you havent been there) while a student.

Definitely true (point about individuals from generally wealthy backgrounds end up going to med school), but I think this is especially the case at Stanford. I interviewed there for both medical school and residency, have a lot of friends there now. My impression is that for some reason, Stanford ends up getting a ton of students from loaded backgrounds. Don't ask me why, but the end point is that the average debt is so low is not because of massive scholarships, but mostly because of parent's pocketbooks.

A lot of people who work in Palo Alto commute from the East Bay (Fremont, Hayward, etc.) to save money. I'm not sure about the parking situation on campus, but that may be an option.

Keep in mind you're going in rush hour traffic to get there in the morning, and you're also in rush hour again at night if you go the commuting route. As far as I know there isn't a cal train or bart that takes you from the East Bay to Palo Alto. To hit the south border of Fremont (which is probably the most southern part of the Easy Bay) in rush hour traffic takes around 45 minutes vs 20 without traffic if you go around the bay. If you choose to go through the bay you've gotta pay a toll on the Dumbarton :(

I think they're planning on building a new BART route that runs south from Fremont to San Jose, but God knows when it will be finished, if ever.

I think they're planning on building a new BART route that runs south from Fremont to San Jose, but God knows when it will be finished, if ever.

They're also planning to build a high speed rail that connects SF to LA, but it's not expected to be done until 2030...for a state that complains about not having enough money, I don't know where they're coming up with the dough for these projects.

Keep in mind you're going in rush hour traffic to get there in the morning, and you're also in rush hour again at night if you go the commuting route. As far as I know there isn't a cal train or bart that takes you from the East Bay to Palo Alto. To hit the south border of Fremont (which is probably the most southern part of the Easy Bay) in rush hour traffic takes around 45 minutes vs 20 without traffic if you go around the bay. If you choose to go through the bay you've gotta pay a toll on the Dumbarton :(

It's true, the traffic can get pretty horrible and the toll is annoying. I'm just not sure where else you'd find cheap family housing in a safe area that's reasonably close.

It's true, the traffic can get pretty horrible and the toll is annoying. I'm just not sure where else you'd find cheap family housing in a safe area that's reasonably close.

Mountain view

congrats tanzacat! me too!

are you seeing that october 3rd is the only date available? thats what mine looks like

Congrats guys! When were you complete?

That makes me feel better. You were complete before I was verified. I was complete 7/27. Hoping for good news anyway...

congrats tanzacat! me too!

are you seeing that october 3rd is the only date available? thats what mine looks like
Yeah Oct 3 was the only option for me as well. Middle of the week is gonna be tough on my work schedule!

I believe I was complete on 7/19.

Congrats, guys! What are your statistics like? Stanford is one of my top choices so really crossing my fingers for this one...

Congrats! Did anyone who got an interview invite apply MSTP?

I never got an email but after seeing these posts i went to check my application status and it just let me sign up for an october 3rd interview as well! is this a mistake? i would assume anyone couldn't just sign up, but i never saw anything that said congratulations or anything, it was just a calendar with a hyperlinked date that let me sign up and now i have a confirmation of interview date.... so im confused but optimistic - did you guys get emails? did anyone who didnt get an email able to also just sign up??
i hope its not a mistake! stanford is my top top choice!
haha embrace it! I'm willing to bet it's not a mistake -- just a problem with the e-mail getting to you.

oopsie, i just got a "reminder" email to submit my secondary...

The cal train station is close enough to campus to bike to, plus there are buses that connect cal train directly to Stanford so it's pretty do-able. I'd recommend a clipper card (way to store cash for public transit) as it gives you access to lowered monthly ticket rates.

Caltrain is not ideal, but I guess it would be doable if you got lucky enough to find a place really near the train station. However, given that most of the bay area is suburban, and there is not a lot of dense housing near public transit like there are in cities, finding an ideally located place to live near caltrain will be tough. If you take caltrain I would expect on a daily 45min - 1 hour commute. 15 to bike to the train and wait for it, 15 to ride the train, another 10 to bike to campus, 5 to lock and unlock your bike.

There are some not too expensive places in mountain view and redwood city you could consider. A lot of stanford students live in redwood city. Driving is not bad in the area. I would choose driving over caltrain any day. You can't really get anywhere in the area without a car and public transit in general is inconvenient everywhere in the bay area unless you're in san francisco - the MUNI is good.

Quick question regarding publications. I know they specify only papers, but what about textbook chapters? If you were a co-author on an accepted textbook chapter, do you think that would be acceptable to include as well? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.