2012-2013 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When did you submit? I submitted 7/25 and haven't gotten anything either. I thought these guys sent automatic secondaries. Does any know if they are actually screening?

I already got the secondary, and submitted it a week ago. I am waiting on a complete file email

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. Excuse me while I go crawl back in my hole :smuggrin:

edit: secondary received at 10am

Last edited:
I already got the secondary, and submitted it a week ago. I am waiting on a complete file email

I submitted like 07/20 or something. WTF? Mine says it's missing LORs though. They're not coming. I emailed the school....

Members don't see this ad :)
Pal when were u complete?

Sent from my DROID3 using SDN Mobile

Ha! I totally just got on SDN to ask this! But no, I haven't received an II either... :(

Alright that's a bit of a relief then. I didn't get the complete email until 7/31 but I will be sure to post any updates.

How the F am I still incomplete...this is so weird.

My letters were submitted 1.5 weeks ago. Is it normal that they are still not marked as received?

Just got an email regarding the Binghamton campus option for students.

Just curious, anyone interested in this? I read some stuff on SDN, but I'm not quite sure what to think of it yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what Application Preference Not Entered means?

Don't know, but I have it too. I checked last years thread and others with the same thing listed received interviews and acceptances. So imo, no need to worry.

Don't know, but I have it too. I checked last years thread and others with the same thing listed received interviews and acceptances. So imo, no need to worry.
I think everybody has it

Interview invite via status change!!! SO excited - it's my first interview invite! Everyone check your statuses to see if you got one too!

My Stats:
cGPA 3.5_, sGPA 3.2_
MCAT: P10 V11 B12
In state
Rural Medical Scholars Program applicant
Complete e-mail received 07/18

EDIT: For those of you who were wondering about the "Application Preference - Not entered", mine still says that.

Last edited:
Interview invite via status change!!! SO excited - it's my first interview invite! Everyone check your statuses to see if you got one too!

My Stats:
cGPA 3.5_, sGPA 3.2_
In state

Congrats! I was complete the same day so hoping for some good news:xf:

Randomly just checked the website - interview invite! Keep checking your status people! :)

Interview invite! (also via website). Dreading the new MMI system. Seems like more and more schools are adopting this interview format.

My Stats:
cGPA 3.5_, sGPA 3.2_
In state

EDIT: For those of you who were wondering about the "Application Preference - Not entered", mine still says that.
Same here!

Where does it say it if you've gotten an interview invite? haha

Where does it say it if you've gotten an interview invite? haha

As soon as you log in you should see this at the bottom of the page:

Congratulations on being selected for an Interview!

"The interview provides a means for both the college and the applicant to learn more about each other. We hope that during your visit you will sit in on classes, talk with current students, visit the medical library, Clark Tower or Geneva Tower our residence halls and the Campus Activities Building, and also learn more about the city of Syracuse. A tour of our campus will be conducted by current students and lunch will be provided".

got an invite via a status update....does anyone know if we can choose a date before they actually send the official email?

Anyone have any suggestions as to how we should prepare for MMI? I'm kinda nervous :(

Anyone have any suggestions as to how we should prepare for MMI? I'm kinda nervous :(
I'm nervous too. I have been reading a book on ethical cases in medicine so I have an idea of the thinking that goes on when deciding any kind of ethical case (medical or non-medical). I am looking at my primary application and personal statement. I am also thinking about the most likely questions that would be asked in an MMI format. These include Why SUNY upstate, why do you want to become a doctor, what are the positives and negatives of medicine, why did you not choose other health professions, health care reform questions. Also, practicing your interview skills will help during stations that one could not prepare for anyway (e.g. acting station)

I'm nervous too. I have been reading a book on ethical cases in medicine so I have an idea of the thinking that goes on when deciding any kind of ethical case (medical or non-medical). I am looking at my primary application and personal statement. I am also thinking about the most likely questions that would be asked in an MMI format. These include Why SUNY upstate, why do you want to become a doctor, what are the positives and negatives of medicine, why did you not choose other health professions, health care reform questions. Also, practicing your interview skills will help during stations that one could not prepare for anyway (e.g. acting station)

im worried about getting a lot of questions on healthcare reform. also I was under the impression that we would be given "scenarios" at each station. can these scenarios be questions like "why upstate"?

im worried about getting a lot of questions on healthcare reform. also I was under the impression that we would be given "scenarios" at each station. can these scenarios be questions like "why upstate"?
Yeah. I am going to learn a decent amount about health reform just because it is a huge topic in the news right now. Some of the stations can be traditional questions like Why upstate. Since they are going to only have a few traditional question stations, my view is that it is going to be those high yield questions that are asked at every interview. The other stations include ethical scenarios, acting, and even group exercise stations.

Dang, checked status and no II for me yet. Really want an MD interview!

I have the same question...when I finished filling everything out I clicked "application complete" (or sth like that) on the checklist page. I didn't see a "submit" button anywhere. I am using the FAP waiver, so I'm assuming I have to print out the signature page. What exactly is the signature page? I didn't sign anything. Is it just the "Application Summary" page? The bottom of that page says my Supplementary application has not be received yet...

I have the same question...when I finished filling everything out I clicked "application complete" (or sth like that) on the checklist page. I didn't see a "submit" button anywhere. I am using the FAP waiver, so I'm assuming I have to print out the signature page. What exactly is the signature page? I didn't sign anything. Is it just the "Application Summary" page? The bottom of that page says my Supplementary application has not be received yet...

I believe you have to e-mail them a copy of your fee waiver e-mail. I did that and they accepted it, and I was complete shortly thereafter.

nice..we should meet up beforehand. my flight gets in the afternoon of the 18th

Stiiiiiillllll incomplete, for no reason. OK then.

and you're at buffalo on the 5th too? looks like we're going to be best friends by the end of this interview season. i just need downstate to invite me.
Yup I'm at Buffalo on the 5th too. :D
We should get in touch once September rolls around.

Do you mind sharing the title of that book on ethical cases in medicine? I've just been researching situations specifically but that has not been too helpful.

Thanks!

Do you mind sharing the title of that book on ethical cases in medicine? I've just been researching situations specifically but that has not been too helpful.

Thanks!
Its called Doing Right by Philip C Hebert (2nd edition). Its a really good book because it helps you approach how to tackle any kind of ethical dilemma using four basic principles.

Its called Doing Right by Philip C Hebert (2nd edition). Its a really good book because it helps you approach how to tackle any kind of ethical dilemma using four basic principles.

Highly recommend this book. I used it to prep for ethical questions last year and it helped immensely!

Anyone got an ebook or Google link?

Still no word.

Status
Not open for further replies.