Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

2012 APPIC Internship Application Thread

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by PerhapsMaybeOk, 07.18.11.

1. Duck Duck Goose

Duck Duck Goose Senior Lurker

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Haha, I'm not now but I remember being at practicum last year on the day before match day. My clients showed up that afternoon so I didn't have much time to surf the web. It was pretty tough because I had applied for internship there and my supervisors were the TD and a training faculty member. :p I was glad that I didn't match there, though, and didn't reapply there this year. Super good luck to everyone! :luck:
  2. Duck Duck Goose

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks! Good luck with CAPIC!

They'll be at a link on the match website here: http://www.natmatch.com/psychint/indexorg.htm

(If history is any indication of this year's results, the list will be too long to put into one post.)
  3. eudaimonPsyD

eudaimonPsyD Clinical PsyD Student

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Are you watching me? How did you know???? I only have five unscored protocols sitting in front of me while I type this...
  4. Stelvask

Stelvask

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The fact that this has turned into the longest day of practicum I've ever had isn't helping. I spent the first half of a lunch seminar doodling the word "breathe" on my notepad. I spend the second half of the seminar considing the relative merits of a tattoo of the doodle.

This might have worked OK, but my supervisor was leading the seminar and asked me a question near the end. It should have been an easy one for me to answer, and I think she was setting me up to look/feel good about myself. Instead, I was so caught in my inner-monologue that I stared at her like a deer in headlights for about 20 seconds before a friend sitting next to me jumped in with a saving response.
  5. ClinApp

ClinApp Member

Psychology Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Ouch! Probably no one thinks much of it anyway, though. I'm surprised anyone expects you to be able to focus today. I know it's a bit of a luxury, but I am staying home today and just organizing my office, listening to music, and trying not to eat my way through this very long day. Hang in there, the wait is almost over! :thumbup:
  6. Stelvask

Stelvask

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I doubt anyone noticed. Or, if they did, I doubt they cared. The room was full of interns (all of whom asked how I was holding up today), other practicum students (also waiting for tomorrow as nervously as I am) and psychologists who have already completed their internship and understand how stressful it is.

Still, it seemed to exemplify how little I have to provide today. At least I don't have clients on Thursdays, so I don't have to worry about the fact that I'm not able to be there for someone else.
  7. Milk Milk Milk

Milk Milk Milk

Psychologist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I just wanted to pop on here now, while I can still write a coherent sentence, and wish everyone the best of luck!

ps-I feel like someone should yell out, "Let the hunger games begin!"
  8. apply4psych

apply4psych

Last edited: 02.26.12
  9. ClinApp

ClinApp Member

Psychology Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Thanks, good luck right back at ya! And scary analogy, wasn't thinking along those lines!

Hey, do you think we can hit 100 pages BEFORE the match? Crazy!

ps - your avatar and pinknyyy would go great together - cupcake and milk, yum!
  10. Milk Milk Milk

Milk Milk Milk

Psychologist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Scary analogy but spot on! I wish the movie was out already - I would so be there tonight followed by a cupcake gorge-a-thon! :D
  11. readytobedone

readytobedone

Psychology Student
    THE BEST!!! One of my friends last night said "May the odds be ever in your favor..." hahah! Hunger games couldn't apply more.
  12. Milk Milk Milk

Milk Milk Milk

Psychologist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    LOVES it!
  13. Duck Duck Goose

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Haha, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. :laugh: APPIC match is not at all like the hunger games. I didn't win last year and I am still here to compete again AND the system still stands and I am not a rebel hero. And no genetically engineered animals have attacked me at any point. Maybe it's just me. :p
  14. Milk Milk Milk

Milk Milk Milk

Psychologist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think we found a super fan :D
  15. Duck Duck Goose

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Between us friends: To be honest, I preferred The Golden Compass etc. trilogy, haha. Weak ending/third to the hunger games.

Official statement: I work with kids and teens, I have to keep up with this stuff! Why else would I know Pokemon trivia?

I will now make dinner and have a few drinks, watch the Big Bang Theory, and play computer games like Civilization and the Sims so I can at least have a virtual feeling of control.

:luck:
  16. Milk Milk Milk

Milk Milk Milk

Psychologist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I seriously want to be your friend in real life :) Enjoy! And I hope you get what you want tomorrow.
  17. O Gurl

O Gurl

Post Doc
    Just popping in to wish you all luck... and to sincerely hope that you all have a raging fun night planned to keep your mind off of the jitters! :horns:
  18. eudaimonPsyD

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Classic. :thumbup:
  19. psyunknown

psyunknown

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This post made me smile so hard! I love that video games can help with our need for control! As for me I was a waste at practicum, most of my clients canceled today and could not focus long enough to write any note/report. About 14 hours left. I feel like I go from being okay to being overly excited to being depressed and anxious.

Good luck everyone! And remember to breath!
  20. Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Psychology Student
    Ugh! That's all I have to say!
  21. Duck Duck Goose

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Haha, well I feel pretty darn popular right now. :D But I'm way cooler online than I am in person.

Just in time for The Big Bang Theory!

Good luck, everyone! :luck:
  22. 1512

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good luck everybody!:luck::)
  23. psydperson

psydperson

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    sooooooooooooooooo nervous. i cant concentrate on anything today and cant relax either :(
    i didnt match last year when i was really confident that i would so now this year, even though i had 6 interviews and ranked 9 positions (one site had 4 tracks), i still feel unsure. i think im traumatized from last years results :( has anyone ever heard of anyone not matching 2 years in a row? i havent, and i sure dont want to be the first lol
    i also am scared bc only 3 of my sites are local and i got married this year and reallllllllllllly dont feel like moving again. ahhhhhhhhhh this is so stressful. thought id vent, i guess if anyone understands its you guys.
    good luck to everyone tomorrow :)
  24. DrivenDoctoress

DrivenDoctoress

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ugh, so ready for this to be over. I'm cleaning the house and watching a lot of How I Met Your Mother in between. I think all of this anxiety has worn me out. That's probably a good thing because I think I'll be able to get some sleep tonight.

@psydperson-- I haven't heard first-hand of anyone not matching 2 years in a row, but I have heard a couple people online say that it's happened to them. I can't remember the stats (they're listed somewhere on appic) but I think the number of folks that happens to is really really low. Good luck!

I'm really pulling for everyone here to get some good news tomorrow, especially those who are on their second go-round!!!
  25. hunter123

hunter123

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Good luck everyone! I am soooo anxious....but ready for this wait to be over!!!!!
  26. ClinApp

ClinApp Member

Psychology Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I can tell everyone's getting really anxious on here, I am, too. As long as we've been waiting for this, it's actually amazing to me that we're this close to the finish line. Just watched a silly movie with friends, now have to find other entertainment for the next 12+ hours - maybe some sleep, too. Maybe bake some celebration brownies -- that can double as consolation brownies if needed?
  27. psyunknown

psyunknown

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I feel that time is moving so slow. I just want it to be morning so I can just know the results already!:barf:
  28. Duck Duck Goose

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good luck!

Stats that show you're not alone (match tomorrow or not):

(percent and n matched by # of times in the match, http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2011Part2.aspx)

11. Number of times participating in Match:

First time in Match Match rate = 81% n = 2460
    Second time in Match Match rate = 69% n = 234
    Third time in Match Match rate = 61% n = 18
    Fourth time in Match Not Reported n = 5

I didn't match in Phase I or Phase II last year and I'm feeling 50/50 on whether I'll match tomorrow (haha, goes along with my 1 interview and chance of matching at about 52%) but I'm very happy to be moving on with life in the next month or two no matter what (quitting my program and starting a family OR matching and completing my degree).

Please post your results at some point in the next couple weeks, even/especially if you don't match. And please complete the survey (include any sites that didn't notify you by their deadlines as sites that didn't comply with match policies!).

For any lurkers out there, I didn't join until Phase II last year (if memory serves), even though I'd followed the forum since I was applying for grad school. :p The internship threads here are generally supportive and the posters in them are typically more understanding than the non-psych people in your lives, so join up if you want to share your news. :love:

Super awesome good luck to everyone :luck:
  29. Duck Duck Goose

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Excellent choice of programming and thanks for the extra good vibes! I hope you get what you're hoping for tomorrow. :luck:
  30. Quynh2007

Quynh2007 the oracle of destiny

Psychology Student
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Watching Rifftrax of Harry Potter's 1-6 marathon. My favorite is still HP1, but the other rifftrax are also hilarious. This will get me through until tomorrow :)
  31. RoseRed2

RoseRed2

Actually considering going to bed... will be curious to see if I can actually fall asleep... love hearing how everyone is spending their evening. There is nothing on TV and I can't concentrate on a movie, so that's out for me. Hope everyone can manage some sleep tonight! Sweet dreams!!
  32. 3rdWave

3rdWave Licensed Psychologist

Psychologist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good luck to everyone!! Sleep well tonight. Wishing you all happy news in the morning.
  33. KAC0106

KAC0106

Psychology Student
    Good luck to everyone ! Regardless of what happens we are ALL WINNERS!!!!!!!!!!!
  34. Duck Duck Goose

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Check out the main doctoral psych sdn forum, as someone started a new thread to wish us all good luck. :luck:
  35. DrivenDoctoress

DrivenDoctoress

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Why thank you, and right back at ya on the good choice of The Big Bang Theory. ;-)

Not much longer now, woo!
  36. psychwanabe

psychwanabe

Psychology Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Haha I don't know, I have definitely invisioned the APPIC process as a "muttation" of some sort! It certainly seems inhuman at times.

Operation distraction has been pretty successful for me today. Stayed busy with clients, worked out with my hubby tonight, then watched a favorite TV program we'd recorded a few days ago. It worked! I'm feeling pretty relaxed and ready for sleep. Now, whether sleep comes and stays is a whole other question... :rolleyes:

Best of luck to everyone and I just want to say thank you to you all for sharing this stressful process with me. I had been absent from SDN for some time, and forgot how supportive the environment is here. I am grateful for that support from the people who understand this process better than anyone. :love:
  37. cervello

cervello

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good luck to everyone! :luck:
  38. psyman

psyman

Psychologist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes, Civ is an awesome time killer!
  39. Thor2211

Thor2211 Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Have the Phish dates been announced yet? I was hoping for a summer tour announcement/match day coincidentemente. 9 more hourrs!!!
  40. pinkasaurus

pinkasaurus

Psychology Student
    I just wanted to wish everyone luck this morning!
  41. ClinApp

ClinApp Member

Psychology Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    All right, I am finally going to try to go to sleep. Best of luck to everyone out there! Sweet dreams!! :)
  42. Psych2011

Psych2011

Pre-Psychology
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good luck everybody. I am keeping my fingers crossed for all of you! :)

:luck::xf:
  43. eudaimonPsyD

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I just wanted to wish everyone on here good luck. I don't know if/when I'll be logging on to SDN tomorrow, not sure if my processing will involve it. But I am sending good vibes out for everyone.

:xf:
  44. AcronymAllergy

AcronymAllergy Neuropsychologist Moderator

Psychologist
    Psychologist SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just popping in to say best of luck to everyone. As I mentioned in the Match Day thread, nearly everyone here has likely either been in your shoes in the recent past, is in your shoes now, or will be in your shoes in the near future, so we definitely can (or soon will) understand the gamut of emotions you're experiencing.
  45. readytobedone

readytobedone

Psychology Student
    I think I'm done with trying to sleep now...
  46. TuTuPsychL

TuTuPsychL

Psychology Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Haha! I made the same decision a few minutes ago, too!
  47. mcs207

mcs207

MD/PhD Student
    Anyone else constantly hitting refresh on their e-mail already? AHHHH.
  48. alienarms

alienarms Senior Member

Psychology Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Did we decide to post match results in the Match Day thread? Sorry, I'm too lazy to go back and search this one. :p Not that I've heard anything yet, obvs.

And yeah, I'm obsessively looking at my email.
  49. The Hobgoblin

The Hobgoblin Psychology Intern

Psychology Student
    God, shoot me now.

Didn't sleep at all and now have to go to externship and spread my stress and ill-tempered, sleep-deprived self on others.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
  50. psychwanabe

psychwanabe

Psychology Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I asked but I didn't see any responses. Let's just stay here, we've hung out here so much lately! :laugh:

I started waking at 5 - I swear my hubby was more restless than me. I gave up at 7.

Not yet, but now that you mention it....:rolleyes:

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal