2013-2014 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I love this show!

me too. I miss it. And I liked bun heads, which was similar but they took it off the air. Now I just watch Switched at Birth on Mondays :)

Members don't see this ad.

Plus, it's such bad timing with the Olympics this year because the shows I normally watch every week are all reruns!

And, yes, Psych is hilarious! I can't watch anything serious right now, anything that makes me feel anxious (even if it's unrelated to the M-word) will put me more on edge. ;)

Bad timing with the olympics? The olympics have been such a fantastic distraction for me! Although I find myself getting absurdly anxious when, for example, a figure skater does a triple axel. I think I'm projecting my anxiety about matching onto them!

Reactions: 3 users
Plus, it's such bad timing with the Olympics this year because the shows I normally watch every week are all reruns!

And, yes, Psych is hilarious! I can't watch anything serious right now, anything that makes me feel anxious (even if it's unrelated to the M-word) will put me more on edge. ;)

It's so funny!! And a great distraction! After I finish this report, I will watch Season 2 – House of Cards and Psych reruns. ;)

I am also irritated that all of my favorite shows are reruns right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I normally love Grey's Anatomy for distraction, but way too many life-or-death situations and resident angst for this week...

Reactions: 1 user
I love my children dearly, but spending time with them is not nearly as distracting as binge-watching. Sigh.
In the evenings when they're asleep, though, I have now shifted from dark (Top of the Lake was creepy and wonderful) to fluffy (another vote for Psych!). I should be fairly busy tomorrow, Wednesday, and Thursday afternoon. But Thursday morning is not going to be fun...

I've been trying to cope with music. I like to think about songs that capture what I'm going through in this process.

Here's one from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers:

"The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you get one more yard
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part."

I wonder if we can make an official hashtag for match day and make it trend....#psychmatch? #appicmatch?

Reactions: 2 users
Ugh. I hope last night wasn't indicative of what the next few will be like. It's great to wake up in the morning more tired than you went to sleep because you keep waking up every hour to toss and turn more effectively. o_O :yawn: :sleep:

I wonder if we can make an official hashtag for match day and make it trend....#psychmatch? #appicmatch?

That could be a great way to call national attention to the imbalance, actually. I don't have a Twitter account but I'd create one just to help out with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ugh. I hope last night wasn't indicative of what the next few will be like. It's great to wake up in the morning more tired than you went to sleep because you keep waking up every hour to toss and turn more effectively. o_O :yawn: :sleep:

My friend who went through this last year said that she actually slept well the night before because she'd been sleeping so badly the entire week. Heh.

That could be a great way to call national attention to the imbalance, actually. I don't have a Twitter account but I'd create one just to help out with that.

Yes, I think so too! Also---if you have a facebook, they do hashtags there too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
How many student are applying for internship this year in your programs? My program has 10 applying, which is a large number since I go to a small program. I am thinking of how it would feel if everyone except one of us matches. I hope that that will not happen and that if not all of us match, at last two of us won't, so that one person would not feel so alone, but then I feel guilty about thinking this because I want to keep our program stats up.

Last edited:
We have six from our program and I'm am desperately hoping all of us match. It would be such a buzzkill for my own celebration if someone didn't and I don't want to be a buzzkill for them if I don't match. The only way Friday will really feel like a victory is if our program goes 100%

How many student are applying for internship this year in your programs? My program has 10 applying, which is a large number since I go to a small program. I am thinking of how it would feel if everyone except one of us matches. I hope that that will not happen and that if not all of us match, at last two of us won't, so that one person would not feel so alone, but then I feel guilty about thinking this because I want to keep our program stats up.
I choose caring about the individual people's experience over the program stats any day. Which is to say, I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about. My program is very big for a PhD cohort, so with this year's group and the people who chose to wait from last year, we're something like 18-20 applying.

6 of my cohort are applying along with 2 others who waited. And 2 more who did not match last year. So 10 in all which is large for our program. I really hope everyone matches this year!

We have six from our program and I'm am desperately hoping all of us match. It would be such a buzzkill for my own celebration if someone didn't and I don't want to be a buzzkill for them if I don't match. The only way Friday will really feel like a victory is if our program goes 100%

I've got to agree with George. Everyone who is applying from my program is a friend, I want to see them succeed and it's best for me and the program if we all match. It will be harder for me to totally celebrate if one of us is left behind for a year. Also, our program had a 100% match last year and it'd be great to keep the momentum going.

I would just like to say: 60 hours.

That is all. I am freaking out.

Reactions: 7 users
I've got to agree with George. Everyone who is applying from my program is a friend, I want to see them succeed and it's best for me and the program if we all match. It will be harder for me to totally celebrate if one of us is left behind for a year. Also, our program had a 100% match last year and it'd be great to keep the momentum going.

Sounds like a sweet program. Everyone is friendly and a 100% match rate!

We only have a few other people applying. Our match rate was also 100% last year and I hope that repeats. Our average over the past few years hasn't been great (aside from last year), so we could really use another good year.

There's four in my cohort, one above me, and one below. So there's a total of six of us. Last year we also had a 100% match rate. I hope that repeats this year.

We have 5 people applying this year. Some of us did better with # of interviews, so that is concerning. :(

GOOD LUCK to everyone. Woke up this morning in a state of semi-shock that it is really 48 hours away. Let's do this!

Reactions: 5 users
I am certain this information is available, both in this thread and on the internet, but a quick search does not render any results. Does anyone know offhand when exactly (i.e. the time) that notification must occur? Thanks in advance!

I am certain this information is available, both in this thread and on the internet, but a quick search does not render any results. Does anyone know offhand when exactly (i.e. the time) that notification must occur? Thanks in advance!

The notification...by APPIC, or by a site after finding out you've matched with them?

According to the official timeline sent out by Greg Keilin, match results will be distributed to us by 10:00 a.m. Eastern on Friday. However, multiple people have posted that in prior years they received their results earlier (I think as early as 7:30 a.m.). Guess we'll be sitting around hitting the refresh button for awhile!

Good luck to everyone!

According to the official timeline sent out by Greg Keilin, match results will be distributed to us by 10:00 a.m. Eastern on Friday. However, multiple people have posted that in prior years they received their results earlier (I think as early as 7:30 a.m.). Guess we'll be sitting around hitting the refresh button for awhile!

Good luck to everyone!
Thank you! I wish everyone the best of luck!

Good luck to everyone!

Yep, I want to say mine came in just before 8 am Eastern.

Good luck to everyone!
Now that we're down to the last 48 hours, I'm officially freaking out and am obsessing over the small things.

Everyone I've talked to who participated in last year's match said they got an email from Dr. Keilin giving them a three hour window for notification (e.g., 7am-10am EST), but this year's email just says 10am EST (not even "by" 10am). Does anyone have any idea on whether they've changed the process? I'm sure I'll still be up at the crack of dawn compulsively checking my email, but also know it will drive me insane if I spend multiple hours checking my email only to get one at 10am EST on the dot!

language from the NMS website about notifications indicates that e-mails are sent BY 10am, while the web results become available AT 10am. see below:

By E-mail
Match result information will also be sent by e-mail before 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time on the APPIC Match Day for each Phase of the Match: FEBRUARY 21, 2014 for Phase I and MARCH 24, 2014 for Phase II. For each Phase of the Match, results will be sent by e-mail to training sites that participated in that Phase of the Match (i.e., submitted and certified a Rank Order List with at least one active choice, and did not withdraw from that Phase of the Match).

The same Match result information will be provided by e-mail and on this web site for each Phase of the Match. Any training site that does not receive its result by e-mail should access their result from this web site.

Does anyone else experience an increase in adrenaline when they receive an update from Dr. Keilin? :eek:

I think that it fits so well into my fantasy that the verification process is somehow completed early and as a result they decide to send out the notices early.:soexcited:

The rational part of my mind tells me that this definitely will NOT happen and it would not be coming from Dr. Keilin's email address anyway. :whoa:

Additionally, I am just wondering how many times I will have to read the real notice in order to process the information after having experienced this ton of combined stress.+pity+

As the matching process winds down, I want to extend a HUGE thank you to the individual who started this thread. The sanity you have offered us is invaluable! Kudos to you for extending your time and effort!

Reactions: 7 users
language from the NMS website about notifications indicates that e-mails are sent BY 10am, while the web results become available AT 10am. see below:

By E-mail
Match result information will also be sent by e-mail before 10:00 a.m. Eastern Time on the APPIC Match Day for each Phase of the Match: FEBRUARY 21, 2014 for Phase I and MARCH 24, 2014 for Phase II. For each Phase of the Match, results will be sent by e-mail to training sites that participated in that Phase of the Match (i.e., submitted and certified a Rank Order List with at least one active choice, and did not withdraw from that Phase of the Match).

The same Match result information will be provided by e-mail and on this web site for each Phase of the Match. Any training site that does not receive its result by e-mail should access their result from this web site.

I have seen people post on this thread that last year, they got their email as early as 7:15 AM EST. Do we have any idea if there is an order to how these emails are sent out? Is it by our APPIC number? Alphabetical? 42.5 hours to go!!!!

As the matching process winds down, I want to extend a HUGE thank you to the individual who started this thread. The sanity you have offered us is invaluable! Kudos to you for extending your time and effort!

I second this. And #appicmatch2014 sounds good! Maybe it will be trending...lol

Looks like I have an intake scheduled from 9:30-11am on Friday.

Should I leave my phone in my pocket on vibrate as a form of sadomasochism?

Oh no, bad timing!! Hopefully you will be one of the people to be notified at like 7:30 AM!

I am sure you will hear by 9:30!

Hold up... seriously?!?!

Raise your hand if you are doing any work whatesoever on Friday? Because I took off the whole day... and I think my entire cohort is doing the same.

Hold up... seriously?!?!

Raise your hand if you are doing any work whatesoever on Friday? Because I took off the whole day... and I think my entire cohort is doing the same.

I blocked off this day like 6 months ago – no school, practicum, nail appointments, doctor appointments, etc. Good or bad news – I don't want to be committed elsewhere!! My husband is taking the day off with me too! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hold up... seriously?!?!

I have research meetings, providing supervisions, and a client all that morning and afternoon.

Hold up... seriously?!?!

In a fit of cruelty, my program decided to schedule open house that day for grad school applicants! So yes, I have been obligated to go meet them for the song and dance. Unless I don't match, in which case they will probably do their best to keep me away from them;)

I just have meetings and have already told people that I will only attend them if I match.

The NBA trade deadline is tomorrow which conveniently gives me something to obsess over. I have four friends whose Venn diagrams of psychology and basketball overlap...surely there must be more!

Oh, also beer.

Hold up... seriously?!?!

No work here. Invited others over to celebrate or commiserate over result with much food and mimosas. Figured either way we'd be good and supported!

Reactions: 5 users