2013-2014 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2 more sleeps. ..
Going to a friends house to have a panic attack party.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck everyone!! We're almost there! :clap:

Reactions: 8 users
I took the whole day off as well. I just don't think I can be very present tomorrow, whether it's good news or bad! My fiance and I are going out to lunch, and then my cohort has a little get-together planned for Friday night (provided we match!). Good luck to everyone!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I could take the day off. That and drape myself in velvet...if it were socially acceptable.

Reactions: 5 users
I will be celebrating/commiserating at Disneyland with the bf!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
I wish I had today off. Not feeling well due to nerves.
I don't know that this will help at all with nerves, but I want to say that 1) nerves are normal when in the midst of any ordeal (and this is a ritual ordeal of the culture of professional psychology), and 2) while the outcome does have profound personal effects--it is important to see that it is the outcome of a Process not a conclusion abut you as a Person. Because of conditions (not unlike conditions of war or famine), there will be casualties tomorrow AND while they feel life-threatening in prospect, they are more accurately life-changing and you cannot predict the outcome (today or tomorrow or beyond). I know trainees who were devastated not to Match who wound up in places that were better as a result. (And I am sure you can find stories with the opposite outcome). But my point is that as hard as it is, if you are disappointed or if you match, hold to that fact that an outcome of this process is NOT a personal judgement of your potential in the field. It is one point in the unfolding process.

Reactions: 9 users
We are under the 24 hour mark! I just need to know one way or another. I am already reframing in my mind. If I get matched I'm stoked of course. If I don't, I can finish my dissertation and get a much needed externship opportunity in the city my husband works in... But I really I hope I get matched the first go around!

Feeling quite vulnerable this afternoon. Drowning these anxieties in dairy products. Does anybody have those match stats with percentages matching and # of sites interviewed. Swarm me in the warm and comforting bliss of data!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I wish I had today off. Not feeling well due to nerves.

I know. My stomach hurts and I am so tense. I keep telling myself that it will not be the end of the world if I do not match and that no one ever not graduated because they could not find an internship, but I really want to finish sooner rather than later and move to the next stage of my life. Good luck tomorrow everyone. Thanks for all of the support. I am happy we endured all of this together. Almost there.

Reactions: 7 users
Feeling quite vulnerable this afternoon. Drowning these anxieties in dairy products. Does anybody have those match stats with percentages matching and # of sites interviewed. Swarm me in the warm and comforting bliss of data!!!

Number of interview offers received:

1 to 2 interviews Match rate = 52% n = 385
3 to 4 interviews Match rate = 69% n = 516
5 to 6 interviews Match rate = 85% n = 538
7 to 8 interviews Match rate = 92% n = 433
9 to 10 interviews Match rate = 95% n = 355
11 or more interviews Match rate = 99% n = 417

So what's the word on posting where you end up/posting IF you match? Are we doing that?

So what's the word on posting where you end up/posting IF you match? Are we doing that?

Posting where would you end up may reveal who you are,...but not if you do or don't match, or the rank of the site you match with.

Members don't see this ad :)
YOU GUYS! I had front row tickets to the Pixies last night and I FORGOT.

"Where is my mind?" is such an appropriate song for today.

I hope my brain comes back online after match day.

Last edited:
The NBA trade deadline is tomorrow which conveniently gives me something to obsess over. I have four friends whose Venn diagrams of psychology and basketball overlap...surely there must be more!

Oh, also beer.

ditto. I never thought I would be deeply engrossed in 3 way trades involving the Nuggets and 76ers... Why does this week of stress have to correspond precisely with the slowest sports week of the year?? It's just cruel.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd like to know if people match or not, but don't feel pressured to post if you're not comfortable (or too concerned with other things).

I'd like to know if people match or not, but don't feel pressured to post if you're not comfortable (or too concerned with other things).
Ditto! We could always say what kind of site and general location too, who knows how many people on this thread will end up spending the next year working together?

You and me both!

Posting where would you end up may reveal who you are,...but not if you do or don't match, or the rank of the site you match with.

This is what most folks here did the year I applied (i.e., posted if they matched and, generally, what the site's rank was on their list).

Oh, and good luck, everyone!

A bright spot....My niece just delivered my order of Girl Scout cookies. :corny: Life apparently does go on no matter that half the time I feel like :barf:. Sorry, that is a bit graphic.

I hope that at least one other person wherever I match is also a SDNer. :hello::hello:

Reactions: 6 users
I also took the entire day off tomorrow, and am trying to come up with amazing things to do in the case that I don't match ( pedicure? facial? massage? all of the above?) and also sent an email to my closest psych friends letting them know not to ask me "did you match," in the case that I need some time to decompress and come to terms with it. Had a crazy dream last night that my top choice program called me and I missed the call so they gave away my spot :-/

That is heartbreaking!!! I'm seeing the Pixies tomorrow night!

Good luck all! I feel some relief today, because the period of waiting is basically over! Phew!

I may go out tonight, so I think it's pretty likely I'll be asleep for a good while after that email arrives tomorrow. Odd to think about!

I also took the entire day off tomorrow, and am trying to come up with amazing things to do in the case that I don't match ( pedicure? facial? massage? all of the above?) and also sent an email to my closest psych friends letting them know not to ask me "did you match," in the case that I need some time to decompress and come to terms with it. Had a crazy dream last night that my top choice program called me and I missed the call so they gave away my spot :-/

I just scheduled a morning workout/coffee/vent with my close friend right after the notification deadline. No better way to start the day :)

My boyfriend gave me a gift certificate for a massage and facial for Christmas. I plan to put it to good use within the next week, regardless of the results tomorrow.

Good luck everyone!

Last year, the notifications came pretty early, mostly between 8am and 9am EST, FYI.

Reactions: 8 users
Thought I share my day before the Match prep song:

Hopefully the metaphorical weather tomorrow is sunny and nobody's parade gets rained on :)

I've had this in my head all day....
Also, to commiserate with the nervous nausea - I've had several people speculate that I might be pregnant since I've been nauseous every day for so long. I'm not (thank goodness!), but it's kind of funny watching people dance around asking. Hopefully that will be over very soon!
Good luck to everyone waiting on news!

Good luck everyone!

Last year, the notifications came pretty early, mostly between 8am and 9am EST, FYI.

Oh fun - that's between 5-6am pacific time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck everyone. I know how tough this is. My email came in at 8:30 EST three years ago, but it might be different now that they don't do clearinghouse, etc. anymore. Anyway, it's a tough day no matter the outcome so do something nice for yourself after you get your news.

Good luck everyone! #appicmatch2014!

I was like, let me look at the statistics just one more time to comfort myself, and saw under "Match Statistics", Phase I 2014!! I was like, what?? And completely panicked. Clicked on the link, and it said,

"Statistics for Phase I of the APPIC Match will be available at
10:00am Eastern Time on APPIC Match Day, Friday, February 21, 2014"

Wow, this is getting real, and it's coming soon. I can not believe we will know our fates in less than 12 hours. Oh well. Going to go watch House of Cards and try not to think about it!!

Good luck to everybody!! You have all been so supportive (and informative!), and I hope everybody on here matches!! I truly, truly do.

.... it has several appropriate references to PhD's, close to losing my head, and can't nobody hold me dowwnnnnnn

Good luck everyone! I won't be in the match until next year but it has been great following your journey and I hope all of you match to your top choices!

Someone in my cohort who is also waiting for tomorrow's email wrote this. I think it is phenomenal and I know many on here will appreciate it. She gave me permission to post it. Good luck to everyone and I hope some of you can appreciate this as much as the five of us applying from our program did!

The Night Before Match

By Anxious Applicant, MA

‘Twas the night before Match day, when all through the nation
Not an applicant was sleeping, they were just so impatient.
Their rankings were certified with obsessive care,
In hopes that National Match Service soon would be there;

The applicants were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of NMS e-mails danced in their heads;
And ignorant children and pets lay to sleep,
While not knowing their parents were in anxiety knee deep,

Then my phone began beeping with so much chatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to computer I ran like The Flash,
Tore open Explorer to see where I’d match.

The computer screen glowed like new-fallen snow,
Why the hell is my internet so frickin’ slow?!
When, what to my wondering eyes should I see,
But my network connection would not work for me!

A little red line over my net access wifi,
Oh, come on man, I am going to die.
More rapid than Roadrunner I unplugged my router,
That is the only way I know how to fix this matter.

“Aw come on! Damnit! What the hell?!
Why can’t this one time you just work for me well?!”
I swear and I curse, to the floor my mouse go,
By now all the other applicants are sure to know!

What am I thinking? This is not the only way,
To my bedroom, on the nightstand, is where my phone lay.
I open my email to see excessive clutter,
“No, I don’t want to meet hot singles,” I mutter.

But what, no e-mail, the one others have received,
At this point I feel more sick than just peeved.
To my junk mail I open, with a flurry I poke,
Come on, where are you, this is no frickin’ joke!

And then, a dazzling e-mail I do see,
The National Match Service has finally contacted me.
My hand hovered over the phone to open the mail,
“But what if I don’t match!” I soon begin to wail.

Alas, I cave, I must see, I must know.
This e-mail will tell me to which internship I’ll go.
I carefully re-read the very small print,
Around the apartment, the house, I do sprint.

The NMS says it is pleased to inform,
It seems on interviews that well I did perform.
An internship wants me, a good one I did catch,
Congratulations, to all, and to all a good MATCH!

Reactions: 10 users
Match is upon us
Clock hands turn painfully slow
New adventures wait

That's right. Costanza just dropped a haiku bomb.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say before the craziness starts that it's been a pleasure sharing this horrendous time with all of you. The emotional support shown here was so, so helpful. I honestly think that this thread kept me sane. Something that I hope you all remember, and that I am going to try to remember, too, is that the system is broken and it's not our fault.

Reactions: 10 users
3 years ago, I was up all night waiting for my match email. Tonight, I am up all night waiting for the birth of my 2nd child. I now have a nice job and am taking full advantage of paternity leave. My how time flies. I hope that in 3 years, all you grown ups will finally be able to feel like grown-ups, complete with big-boy jobs and screaming babies!

Good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 17 users
3 years ago, I was up all night waiting for my match email. Tonight, I am up all night waiting for the birth of my 2nd child. I now have a nice job and am taking full advantage of paternity leave. My how time flies. I hope that in 3 years, all you grown ups will finally be able to feel like grown-ups, complete with big-boy jobs and screaming babies!

Good luck to all of you!
Erg, thank you so so much for putting this crazy process into perspective, I might actually get a few hours sleep now! and congratulations on your second baby :)

I am logging off for the rest of the night. Sweet dreams all my fellow SDNers. When we go to sleep tomorrow we will know!

I'm across the world at the moment, so I've already slept for today, albeit badly. Trying to pass the next 6-9 hours without going too crazy. Good luck to all, we will know soon!

Thank you all for the support, inspiration, and humor that have kept me sane!! I'll be sending good thoughts to everyone!!

I'm across the world at the moment, so I've already slept for today, albeit badly. Trying to pass the next 6-9 hours without going too crazy. Good luck to all, we will know soon!

I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight either. We're almost there!

Time for bed. Yikes! Good luck all!

I got about three hours of sleep and I am wide awake now.....