2013-2014 Drexel University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

No love for Drexel? I'm so excited to be applying here!

I know right? Great school, also applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
No love for Drexel? I'm so excited to be applying here!

I don't know much about it, or the city, but it's relatively close to where I'm from so I applied! 3.8 and 31, OOS. Good luck!

Hey guys, good luck with the application cycle.

I'm currently a third year at Drexel, and there are a few other current students floating around occasionally so feel free to leave questions on the thread or PM us. I was a PIL student for the first two years, and am happy to answer any related questions.

Hey guys, good luck with the application cycle.

I'm currently a third year at Drexel, and there are a few other current students floating around occasionally so feel free to leave questions on the thread or PM us. I was a PIL student for the first two years, and am happy to answer any related questions.

What do you like and not like about Drexel?

What is the 3rd year like and how is it structured?

What are the research and community service opportunities?

What do you like and not like about Drexel?

What is the 3rd year like and how is it structured?

What are the research and community service opportunities?

FYI, I'm a 4th year

1. I don't have time to write out a bunch about what I like or dislike. (I was IFM, btw.) I think Drexel has a pretty solid curriculum that has been in place for years and works well. There are a lot of exams in the first 2 years, but I think they help keep you on your toes and help you prepare for step 1. The faculty and administration care immensely about your success and will work with you if you're having trouble. They are also quite sympathetic to what happens outside of school and how it affects your performance.

If you need to drop to "part time" (as in take 2 years to do year 1 or 2) due to academic difficulty, need to tend to a sick family member, or because you had a baby. If you need a year off, it's possible. Have a kid during third year, then they will help plan your clerkships to make things easier. If your wife is having a kid, they'll even move around your peds rotation so you don't bring any kid germs to your little one.

As far as dislikes, it's just useless courses or abundance of assignments during third year. But, really, it is doable, just annoying.

2. Clerkships are 6 or 12 weeks in duration. Medicine and Surgery are 12 weeks. Medicine is broken up into three 4-week sub rotations: core inpatient at HUH, inpatient at another hospital, and ambulatory medicine. Surgery is done at one site and there are usually 3 subspecialty rotations you can do, but it varies by site (I did anesthesia, IR, and ENT). Peds, OB/Gyn, Psych, and FM are all 6 weeks. Peds will involve inpatient and outpatient experience (my site also had 2 weeks of peds EM). Ob/gyn will include labor and delivery, gyn surgery, outpatient gyn and prenatal care, etc. My psych experience was between in-patient and consult-liason, no out-patient (fine by me). FM includes inpatient, though most is out-patient. Depending where you go, you may do some OB on FM (one classmate got to delivery a baby on FM).

On clerkships, you have to write 1-3 H&P that are usually pass/fail. You have "passports", which are basically documenting that you did certain things under the supervisions of a resident or attend (one of those useless/annoying things). There is a business of healthcare course, which I'm on the fence about, but I think I lean toward it being a good thing. There are webosce's during medicine and surgery (one each, I think). There is a professionalism course, which I didn't care for (get together and discuss your feelings about certain topics related to third year), but I know many liked this course. There is also a practice step 2 CS that everyone has to do toward the end of third year.

Clerkships have lectures integrated, either done by faculty at your site or done at HUH (e.g. ob/gyn). Some sites have more lectures than others.

3. Plenty of research available, there is an office you can go to get info (I didn't do any research, so I'm not much help on this topic.) There is a ton of community service - street side clinic, "eliza shirley", chinatown clinic, etc.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when this secondary is supposed to come out?

Hi I'm reapp here

3.68 cGPA, 3.51 sGPA, 29S MCAT good ECs..??

Good luck on this application year. I'm going to be a second year at DUCOM and I absolutely loved my first year. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
>Hi I'm reapp here

>3.68 cGPA, 3.51 sGPA, 29S MCAT good ECs..??

Honestly, I think it's going to be tough. Worth applying, but make sure you're applying to schools in your range as well. Consider DO school as well. Good luck!

Last edited:
Has anyone received a secondary from them yet? What is the essay prompt if there is one?

I still haven't received a secondary and I've been verified for a few days.

Has anyone received a secondary from them yet? What is the essay prompt if there is one?

I was verified 6/10 and haven't received one, so I think we're all in the same situation. :)

There is no essay, and secondaries usually start coming from Drexel in early August if I remember correctly.

When do they start sending invites? this is one of the OOS schools that really appeals to me.

When do they start sending invites? this is one of the OOS schools that really appeals to me.

Last year, secondaries were first received on July 31st. Apparently, it will be later than that this year

Is any one else having trouble loading the secondary? It keeps saying problem loading page and not opening up.....

Still haven't received it; hopefully I get it sometime this afternoon. I'm just waiting on this school and another school.

Still haven't received it; hopefully I get it sometime this afternoon. I'm just waiting on this school and another school.

I have 3 friends + 1 (me) who are verified and we all applied to Drexel. Only one of us has gotten the secondary.

Hopefully I get mine tomorrow. I was verified slightly later than most since my transcripts finally came in the 12th and not the 10th which might explain why I did not get mine yet.

Looking forward to not having to write a secondary essay too. Hoping my personal statement is representative enough. Whew.

I don't mind that I haven't gotten mine yet.. I am still backed up with other ones! lol

I don't mind that I haven't gotten mine yet.. I am still backed up with other ones! lol

Haha true, but the nice thing about this one is that we do not have the essays to worry about. Just complete it and submit. Perhaps only 20 minutes tops I could imagine. Could use a quick pick-me-up secondary application about now even if I'm not accepted.

Haha true, but the nice thing about this one is that we do not have the essays to worry about. Just complete it and submit. Perhaps only 20 minutes tops I could imagine. Could use a quick pick-me-up secondary application about now even if I'm not accepted.

Oh, really? Cool! Would be nice since right now I am working on three REALLY long ones. Can you guys guess which ones I am working on? :)

I am working on three REALLY long ones. Can you guys guess which ones I am working on? :)
OHSU, Loyola, aaaandd... U Miami? Case Western?

I can't keep all these beastly secondaries straight :laugh:

NYU was hard for me to do.. also University of Arizona was the hardest for me since I was so exhausted from my other ones.. Right now I am working on UCR then I am gonna take a stab at USF and Albany. I am so unbelievably tired of writing secondary essays!! Can't wait until I am done!

NYU was hard for me to do.. also University of Arizona was the hardest for me since I was so exhausted from my other ones.. Right now I am working on UCR then I am gonna take a stab at USF and Albany. I am so unbelievably tired of writing secondary essays!! Can't wait until I am done!

Actually, NYU was my first.

Then Loyola, then Miami, then Case. I knocked a lot of the big ones out first, made the process a lot easier downstream.

Anyone else having trouble saving the form data? I entered data to complete the first small chunk of the secondary (preferred email, LORs) and then pressed "Save Incomplete Form" and it took me back to the home page without saving anything at all...

I know Drexel doesn't have essays, but is there a section to list your activities if you are taking a gap year?

Anyone else having trouble saving the form data? I entered data to complete the first small chunk of the secondary (preferred email, LORs) and then pressed "Save Incomplete Form" and it took me back to the home page without saving anything at all...
Happened to me. I called the office and they asked me to email the director of admissions.

This is what I got from her:

"I'm sorry for the difficulties you're experiencing. We did have a system-wide server outage today and I think it may have affected the application. I've alerted our tech folks to the issue and am waiting to hear back from them. Please don't do any more to the application until at least tomorrow morning. I'll get back to you as I know more."

haven't gotten this one yet. need to do this, ucla, and northwestern and I'll finally be done (assuming I get them all)

Anyone still not get the secondary yet? I've been verified since end of June lol

Anyone still not get the secondary yet? I've been verified since end of June lol

Same here. I was verified before they sent out the first batch on June 29th.. still no secondary. Really, I am not stressing about it because they don't screen so I know that I will get one eventually.

Same here. I was verified before they sent out the first batch on June 29th.. still no secondary. Really, I am not stressing about it because they don't screen so I know that I will get one eventually.

+1 I'm sure they're sending the secondary out in waves because they have so many people to send it too. For one of my other schools, I received the secondary days after the first batch of people received it. I too was verified before June 29th and haven't received anything

+1 I'm sure they're sending the secondary out in waves because they have so many people to send it too. For one of my other schools, I received the secondary days after the first batch of people received it. I too was verified before June 29th and haven't received anything

maybe they're saving the best for last ;) jk lol

Verified before 6/28 and I still haven't received a secondary. Strange.

I have a 3.43 gpa and a 36 MCAT and am OOS, are my chances really low or kind of okay? Thanks everyone :)