2013-2014 Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Yay let's do this! Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does MUSC have a "close ties" form for out of state applicants? I've heard of some schools that favor in state students doing this. Also, if they do, would they want it with the primary or secondary application? Thanks!

Anyone know if there's less OOS bias for MSTP applicants relative to regular MD?

Does MUSC have a "close ties" form for out of state applicants? I've heard of some schools that favor in state students doing this. Also, if they do, would they want it with the primary or secondary application? Thanks!

Never mind, I found it. If anyone is curious though, they send you a close ties form with the secondary application.

OOS with strong ties to the state. Got my MCAT back today and was too low in PS, VS and BS were good. I'm retaking in early August. Does anyone know if they wait for all scores to evaluate or screen out with the initial score?

Just received my supplemental application as an OOS. It had bolded that OOS applicants should have close S.C ties as well as a 30+ and 3.6+. I am quite above both stat requirements, but when calling the admissions representative, I was told I would have a very small chance just because of no close ties and the proximity of my state to SC. Though I am a bit disappointed, I'd like to thank him or her for their honesty. Whatever, I really put my heart into secondaries as well as my parents hard earned money. I will just shift my attention to others if this is the case with MUSC.

Anyone know if there's less OOS bias for MSTP applicants relative to regular MD?

Bumping this to see if it's worth my time if I don't have close ties, other than being from NC.

Bumping this to see if it's worth my time if I don't have close ties, other than being from NC.

tel:(843)-792-3283
Call them. They told me I was an MI resident and given my high stats, I would it would be very unlikely. If you want, call themselves and make a decision but I got the impression there's no point in:

1.writing a essay I have nothing to say about (close ties)

and

2.paying that much money for the secondary. I might or might not another school to compensate.

tel: (843)-792-3283
Call them. They told me I was an MI resident and given my high stats, I would it would be very unlikely. If you want, call themselves and make a decision but I got the impression there's no point in:

and

2.paying that much money for the secondary. I might or might not another school to compensate.

Thanks for that, I think I will call. Better to know beforehand than waste the time/money.

tel:(843)-792-3283

and

Wow I'm surprised anyone could read that.

OOS applicant, close ties to SC. submitted and waiting on secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
They haven't been sent out yet, according to someone in the admissions office I spoke to yesterday morning.

I got one, so they definitely have been sent out. You sure you're referring to MUSC and not USC (Columbia)? Just clarifying because a lot of people have been making that mistake on these threads.

I got one, so they definitely have been sent out. You sure you're referring to MUSC and not USC (Columbia)? Just clarifying because a lot of people have been making that mistake on these threads.

Are you IS?

Definitely referring to MUSC. I'm applying MSTP through, so they might not have been referring to MD only secondaries. Mind posting the questions?

IS primary submitted, but not verified. Still waiting on secondary.

Well, I appreciate how up front they are about slim chances for OOS applicants. I don't suppose having a close friend who purchased a home in Charleston last year counts as close ties? I guess I could give them a call but don't have high hopes.

You should consider USC-Greenville. They take about 25% OOS and they are also increasing next years class to 75 students (from 50).

OH....and more important. MUSC will not change your residency status once you matriculate but the USC's will, so I heard.

OH....and more important. MUSC will not change your residency status once you matriculate but the USC's will, so I heard.

you mean the whole, pay in state tuition after your first year thing?

This is what I understand, but is not gospel. If you start MUSC as an OOS student you will pay OOS tuition for 4 years. USC Columbia and USC Greenville will let you change to an IS student after one year.

+1

I'm IS but I have heard that close ties at MUSC means CLOSE TIES. Either you grew up for a while in SC, went to undergrad in SC, have lived here out of school for a couple years... something along those lines.

anyone get an II yet?

Does anyone have the secondary questions? If so, please could you post them? I am an out-of-state applicant so please also post any essays specifically related to OOS. Thank you.

I don't believe there are any secondary questions/ essays for OOS applicants. There is a supplementary/ demographic application for IS applicants.

On another note, to anyone who is applying in-state, should the three questions be treated as essay questions or short answer?

Thanks

I don't believe there are any secondary questions/ essays for OOS applicants. There is a supplementary/ demographic application for IS applicants.

On another note, to anyone who is applying in-state, should the three questions be treated as essay questions or short answer?

Thanks

Remind me how these questions go... something about where you see yourself working and maybe your interests? (If I am remembering somewhat correctly.) I treated them as short answer last year.

For OOS applicants:

are you sending a request to be considered having close ties to SC? and if so, did you find a form for that or you simply made your case in the email?

thanks !

For OOS applicants:

are you sending a request to be considered having close ties to SC? and if so, did you find a form for that or you simply made your case in the email?

thanks !

There's a close ties form you need to fill out. They should send it to you with the secondary application.

oops - wrong thread!

Last edited:
Anyone else hear back? I submitted quite a long time ago (8/19) and am officially panicking

II today as an OOS applicant! So excited to come down in November!
Has anyone interviewed that wouldn't mind sharing their experience? Thanks!

II today as an OOS applicant! So excited to come down in November!
Has anyone interviewed that wouldn't mind sharing their experience? Thanks!

Do you have close ties? What are your stats if you don't mind?

yeah, I do have close ties. My dad's family is from South Carolina (grandparents + 3 aunts/uncles + few cousins still live there) and I have had family members who went to MUSC.

3.9, 35, complete around 8/23

yeah, I do have close ties. My dad's family is from South Carolina (grandparents + 3 aunts/uncles + few cousins still live there) and I have had family members who went to MUSC.

3.9, 35, complete around 8/23

Ah thanks. I was debating whether or not I should submit the secondary... Love the school and especially the Charleston area but I'm OOS with no close ties.

Why do I not have an interview at my state school yet? -______- Seriously. 36/3.82 in state? I should have a II by now.

Why do I not have an interview at my state school yet? -______- Seriously. 36/3.82 in state? I should have a II by now.
Even if you get an interview that self-deserving attitude will be a sure ticket for a rejection.

When were you complete?
That was just the problem! I thought I was complete a while ago, but apparently my demographic profile slipped under their radar, so my file wasn't marked as complete!

Even if you get an interview that self-deserving attitude will be a sure ticket for a rejection.
haters gonna hate... oy. I don't think it's entitled to expect an interview from my state school when I'm a pretty qualified applicant (and not just my numbers). Would you really not be frustrated/concerned if you were a qualified in-state application at your school and they had not sent you a II yet?

haters gonna hate... oy. I don't think it's entitled to expect an interview from my state school when I'm a pretty qualified applicant (and not just my numbers). Would you really not be frustrated/concerned if you were a qualified in-state application at your school and they had not sent you a II yet?
Have you talked to Wanda Taylor, Assistant Dean of Admissions?

That was just the problem! I thought I was complete a while ago, but apparently my demographic profile slipped under their radar, so my file wasn't marked as complete!

No worries, as I understand it MUSC offers interviews to IS applicants if your MCAT is above a certain number, which yours obviously is.

Have you talked to Wanda Taylor, Assistant Dean of Admissions?
No, I have not. Is that something I should do? Should I call her/e-mail her? It might be a bit soon, because I e-mailed Joan Graesch and she printed my demographic profile like two days ago... I think I should give them a week or two, right?

No worries, as I understand it MUSC offers interviews to IS applicants if your MCAT is above a certain number, which yours obviously is.
That was what I had been told, which is why I was starting to worry, lol. I'm glad I figured out what happened, though!