2013-2014 University of Louisville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II this morning!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker, first time poster (neuroticism has set in due to tomorrow....eeek!)

Has anyone who interviewed early in September looked at their application page -- if so, have you had a status change for the bullet "the committee decision for your application has not yet been determined"? I didn't know if it would be updated prior to tomorrow (10.15) or if everyone's status would magically change then?

Thanks for the info/speculation/help!

Long time lurker, first time poster (neuroticism has set in due to tomorrow....eeek!)

Has anyone who interviewed early in September looked at their application page -- if so, have you had a status change for the bullet "the committee decision for your application has not yet been determined"? I didn't know if it would be updated prior to tomorrow (10.15) or if everyone's status would magically change then?

I interviewed last week of august and mine has not changed. Are the committee meetings the 1st/3rd tuesdays of the month or 2nd/4th? If its 2nd/4th then we may not get anything until the 16th.

No change here. Also, did you interview tab happen to disappear after interviewing? I haven't seen mine since.

No change here. Also, did you interview tab happen to disappear after interviewing? I haven't seen mine since.

I interviewed late September and my interview tab is gone.

When do you think they will notify us of decisions if we have interviewed? They initially said they "can" start informing us of decisions as early as tomorrow. Just wondering if they usually do that, or wait a while. I know they have had time to decide something, since I interviewed months ago

When do you think they will notify us of decisions if we have interviewed? They initially said they "can" start informing us of decisions as early as tomorrow. Just wondering if they usually do that, or wait a while. I know they have had time to decide something, since I interviewed months ago

I just called to double check and they said we will receive an email by the close of business tomorrow (the 16th). So I guess we're stuck waiting another day.

I just called to double check and they said we will receive an email by the close of business tomorrow (the 16th). So I guess we're stuck waiting another day.

Awful news, but thanks for the heads up!

Does anyone's secondary application status say anything but "The committee decision for your application has not yet been determined"? I interviewed on September 4 and I'm wondering if they haven't really made a decision or if it just says that because they can't notify us until tomorrow. The only reason I ask is because another school to which I applied says "Admissions Committee Review Completed", but gives no further details.

Members don't see this ad :)
My bad, just saw the posts above. What's worse is I looked for similar posts and didn't see them. Still, question stands for any of those who have seen change.

Does anyone's secondary application status say anything but "The committee decision for your application has not yet been determined"? I interviewed on September 4 and I'm wondering if they haven't really made a decision or if it just says that because they can't notify us until tomorrow. The only reason I ask is because another school to which I applied says "Admissions Committee Review Completed", but gives no further details.

Mine says the same thing, and I interviewed mid September at Louisville. Not sure if it will get changed or not. Did your other one happen to be at UK? Mine still says Interview(s) completed on that one.

Mine says the same thing, and I interviewed mid September at Louisville. Not sure if it will get changed or not. Did your other one happen to be at UK? Mine still says Interview(s) completed on that one.
Yes, the other one is UK. I interviewed there on September 10th, if that helps.

Hmm, weird. I hope that's not bad news that mine still says Interview(s) completed...
I doubt it's necessarily bad news; whether or not their decision was a favorable one (to me) is still in question. All they've told me is that they have, in fact, made a decision.

I doubt it's necessarily bad news; whether or not their decision was a favorable one (to me) is still in question. All they've told me is that they have, in fact, made a decision.

Very true. Did you happen to notice when your status got updated? And what time do you plan on calling tomorrow to check on your status?

Anyone heard anything yet? Or any brave souls dare to call?

Anyone heard anything yet? Or any brave souls dare to call?
No point in calling. They'll just say an email will be sent by the end of business day. So usually around 4 or 5 is when we'll hear something. Fingers crossed!

So I got an email saying,

"The University of Louisville Admissions Committee has not made a decision on your file. Your file has not been wait listed or placed on hold and therefore, will be made available to the Committee at subsequent meetings.

The remaining committee meeting dates will be the second and fourth Tuesday of each month through March 2014. You will continue to receive a status update email on Wednesdays following the Tuesday meetings."

I can't decide what that means. I interviewed on the second interview date, so they've had a long time. They must've looked at me and not have been interested if they haven't made a decision by now? What do you all think?

Last edited:
So mine says,

"The University of Louisville Admissions Committee has not made a decision on your file. Your file has not been wait listed or placed on hold and therefore, will be made available to the Committee at subsequent meetings.

The remaining committee meeting dates will be the second and fourth Tuesday of each month through March 2014. You will continue to receive a status update email on Wednesdays following the Tuesday meetings."

I can't decide what that means. I interviewed on the second interview date, so they've had a long time. They must've looked at me and not have been interested if they haven't made a decision by now? What do you all think?

Basically it means they want to wait and compare you to the upcoming applicants. I applied last year, and they drug me along from November to March sending me that same email, only to find out I was placed on the wait list. So it can completely swing either way. They may look at you and accept you, or take you all the way until they compile the wait list.

So mine says,

+1. I also interviewed in late august, pretty annoying

+1. I also interviewed in late august, pretty annoying

It's just odd. Id almost rather be turned down or wait listed then have to wait around. They literally told us on my interview day "since it's so early, they undoubtedly would've made a decision by October 15th, they will probably know by next Tuesday, we just won't be able to tell you". I feel like my interviews went well, and they must've been interested to invite me in the first place. Oh well. Not much we can do.

Last edited:
I also got the "Committee has not made a decision" email. To the people who got the same email, are your last names towards the end of the alphabet? Cause mine is and I have this glimmer of hope that they just haven't gotten to my name yet. I interviewed the 2nd day of interviews.

I called the admissions office and the lady told me that they have so many applicants and that they probably just haven't gotten to mine yet. Fingers crossed.

I got the email and my last name is towards the end of the alphabet.

Accepted! Got the email around 11:00 this morning!

You have no idea how relieved I am to hear that.

It doesn't work that way. They do not go through applicants in alphabetical order. It's a long process and it sucks, but all you can do is wait.

Congrats to everyone who got good news today! I love my school and hope to see you next fall!

Anyone else accepted to Trover? So excited about this program.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I just don't understand why people that interviewed after me got their decisions today.

Mines at the end of the alphabet too. Though they probably don't do alphabetical, I'm gonna tell myself they do for temporary sanity.

Hey that's three people with end-of-the-alphabet last names that are waiting on a decision. That's not a coincidence.

Plus the email reads "Your file has not been wait listed or placed on hold and therefore, will be made available to the Committee at subsequent meetings. This leads me to believe they just haven't gotten to us yet.

Or maybe I'm just going insane and trying my hardest to convince myself that it'll all be okay.

Anyway, congrats to all those accepted and good luck to those waiting.

Yea. Same here, I've played out just about every situation in my head that I can. I just really hope they haven't got to me yet instead of gotten to me and tossed me back in a pile to be looked at later when less competitive applicants are reviewed.

Did somebody mention they interviewed on the second day earlier? I did too!

Hey that's three people with end-of-the-alphabet last names that are waiting on a decision. That's not a coincidence.

Plus the email reads "Your file has not been wait listed or placed on hold and therefore, will be made available to the Committee at subsequent meetings. This leads me to believe they just haven't gotten to us yet.

Or maybe I'm just going insane and trying my hardest to convince myself that it'll all be okay.

Anyway, congrats to all those accepted and good luck to those waiting.

It isn't alphabetical. If you have extremely favorable stats, they will place you for review ahead of those who have middle to lower end stats. So, if you have a 3.98/35, you will likely get a decision in the first few meetings after your interview. If you have lesser stats, you will probably get the no decision email until they review and decide if you are worthy of the wait list or not. Obviously, there is wiggle room due to great interviews, ethnicity, etc., but that is the impression I get from going through the experience.

I got the "no decision" email all through the cycle last year. It's not fun. I'm hoping I don't have to go through those hoops this year with better stats, but we'll see. Good luck to all of you, and hopefully you aren't on hold for too long.

It isn't alphabetical. If you have extremely favorable stats, they will place you for review ahead of those who have middle to lower end stats. So, if you have a 3.98/35, you will likely get a decision in the first few meetings after your interview. If you have lesser stats, you will probably get the no decision email until they review and decide if you are worthy of the wait list or not. Obviously, there is wiggle room due to great interviews, ethnicity, etc., but that is the impression I get from going through the experience.

I got the "no decision" email all through the cycle last year. It's not fun. I'm hoping I don't have to go through those hoops this year with better stats, but we'll see. Good luck to all of you, and hopefully you aren't on hold for too long.

That's my new theory. 31 MCAT, 3.81, and my interviews went well. I'm just gonna tell myself "they haven't got to me yet". And if somebody comes in and says "I'm accepted and I have lower stats", then I'll just start telling myself that it's alphabetical again. Denial is key!

Reactions: 1 user
That's my new theory. 31 MCAT, 3.81, and my interviews went well. I'm just gonna tell myself "they haven't got to me yet". And if somebody comes in and says "I'm accepted and I have lower stats", then I'll just start telling myself that it's alphabetical again. Denial is key!

30 mcat and 3.95 here, in state and UofL undergrad as well, along with a ton of research and authorships. People that I personally know with lower stats than me got in and I'm going nuts.

You guys should both be just fine with those stats, unless the interviews were really rough or something. They probably really just haven't gotten to you yet.

You guys should both be just fine with those stats, unless the interviews were really rough or something. They probably really just haven't gotten to you yet.

Thanks for the encouragement. I tend to overthink everything. I'm IS too, btw.

Hey everyone! I just created a Facebook group for those of us who have been accepted so far. I know quite a few first years so I'm sure they'll be happy to help answer questions. Just search:

"University of Louisville School of Medicine Class of 2018" and it should pop up. [Edit: https://www.facebook.com/groups/167662340100485/]

For those of you who are stuck on the no decision train, hang in there. They'll just get to you when they get to you. Good luck to everyone else!

Last edited:

Eh. What were your stats? I like to imagine they have some sort of cool formula (such as MCAT multiplied by GPA or something) that they rank applicants by and they review their applications in order; they must not have got to mine yet.

Someone I know with a 3.7 and 29 got an acceptance, so I dunno.

Well, it's not all about stats. I had a 3.7 sGPA and a 28 and I got accepted. I was also interviewed in early September, so that's another plus. There are many different things they look at. Plus if you interviewed closer to October 15th rather than sooner, they may just have not gotten to you yet. They did have to decide on almost 2 months worth of people even though they were meeting before October.

That's what scares me the most, I interviewed August 21st, and they began interviews on August 20th. Should've made a decision on me by now.

Well, I hate to say it but it's very possible the interview didn't go the way you would have wanted. I applied last year and gave a terrible interview (stupid answers on my part) and I received the no decision email all the way up until early spring when they compiled the wait list, and then I received a decline for admission.

I hope this isn't the case for you as well, but I figured it's best for you to know. They may just be holding off to see how the applicants look over the next little while. Good luck!

Well, I hate to say it but it's very possible the interview didn't go the way you would have wanted. I applied last year and gave a terrible interview (stupid answers on my part) and I received the no decision email all the way up until early spring when they compiled the wait list, and then I received a decline for admission.

I hope this isn't the case for you as well, but I figured it's best for you to know. They may just be holding off to see how the applicants look over the next little while. Good luck!

Agreed. If you review the AMCAS data on the importance of various parts of your application and interview on acceptances, then you'll see that the interview itself is the most important part of an acceptance decision.

Also, check out the UofL admissions website for their guide on the process. They make it pretty clear that the school is more interested in an applicant's entire picture than they are just on stats.

You not only have to look and sound better than those around you, but you then have to present yourself better than those around you at the interview. Good Luck to you guys that are waiting!!! :luck:

I really appreciate your input, and thanks for not sugar coating it. Do you mind if I ask what your stats were last year?

Essentially the same as this year, maybe just a tad bit lower. However I hadn't taken courses like graduate physiology or biochemistry yet, as well as histology.

Another big factor going against me was that I had to re-take the MCAT last summer, and they delayed my application until my new score had posted. With that being said I still interviewed between October and November, and they straight up told me it was my interview that was the issue when I called and asked for advice once I was rejected.

Well, it's not all about stats. I had a 3.7 sGPA and a 28 and I got accepted. I was also interviewed in early September, so that's another plus. There are many different things they look at. Plus if you interviewed closer to October 15th rather than sooner, they may just have not gotten to you yet. They did have to decide on almost 2 months worth of people even though they were meeting before October.

It is most definitely not all about stats. I have a 3.6 GPA, 3.3 sGPA and 28 on the MCAT. I got my acceptance around noon on Oct. 16th. I have no ties to the school either, but I am a KY resident. I have a strong feeling they take a much more holistic approach than what people think. I interviewed on August 21st - the first interview date for people that didn't go early decision.