2013-2014 University of Louisville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II! Completed 08/05.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!! UofL is an awesome school! Mind sharing stats?

Just got an interview invite! Will schedule later on today! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Im a first year medical student and if you have any questions then feel free to ask me by email on here. I'm very busy so I probably will not be keeping up with this thread.

Congrats on all the IIs! If you guys have any questions, I'm a current first year student and would be happy to answer them. Just shoot me a PM, as I don't log into SDN much anymore. Good luck!!

Buying a cardinal tie from the local sports shop. Kidding. But I've got a serious question. If accepted to Louisville (or any school I suppose), what happens next? From my understanding we would be given the opportunity to hold our spot (by paying some amount of cash, I assume) to see where else we get in so we can weigh our options. Is that how it works? and how long can you hold your spot?

Buying a cardinal tie from the local sports shop. Kidding. But I've got a serious question. If accepted to Louisville (or any school I suppose), what happens next? From my understanding we would be given the opportunity to hold our spot (by paying some amount of cash, I assume) to see where else we get in so we can weigh our options. Is that how it works? and how long can you hold your spot?

I think you can put $100 down to hold your spot until May 15th. If you decide to not go to Louisville at that time, you get your $100 back. That's true for pretty much any school.

I think you can put $100 down to hold your spot until May 15th. If you decide to not go to Louisville at that time, you get your $100 back. That's true for pretty much any school.

Ok, thanks for the clarification! That's good to know. Somebody had told me you had to pay closer to $500 to hold a spot and that most schools don't refund, so, major relief there.

Ok, thanks for the clarification! That's good to know. Somebody had told me you had to pay closer to $500 to hold a spot and that most schools don't refund, so, major relief there.

It really varies from school to school. Some schools you do pay more (Georgetown is $500), but others you don't have to pay any at all. I am also pretty sure that MOST all a refund, but again, not all. May 15th is the date you have to decide by. You can hold 10 acceptances if you are so lucky, but you can only hold one after that date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I get some more details on what the inteview process is like? Such as the type of questions they asked, whether they're critical thinking questions (scenarios) or opinion questions (views on abortion, most important medical advance in past century, etc.) or whether it's mostly sharing experiences and reasons you want to attend med school. I have an interview on Wednesday, first interview, so some timely advice would be greatly appreciated.

L1C4

Can I get some more details on what the inteview process is like? Such as the type of questions they asked, whether they're critical thinking questions (scenarios) or opinion questions (views on abortion, most important medical advance in past century, etc.) or whether it's mostly sharing experiences and reasons you want to attend med school. I have an interview on Wednesday, first interview, so some timely advice would be greatly appreciated.

L1C4

SDN actually has a big collection of interview questions from every school here. Just click on the school then click on "survey results" then "questions" towards the bottom.

Just checked in to the hotel. Waiting for morning to interview. Good luck to all else who are here!

Just checked in to the hotel. Waiting for morning to interview. Good luck to all else who are here!

Wish I had gone with the morning interview schedule, but I'll be on the road in the morning to get out there. See you guys around noon when the two groups merge for a bit. And good luck!
:luck:

L1C4

It's pretty laid back. No crazy scenarios or critical thinking questions for me last year. I heard someone got asked about the healthcare system, but everyone else said it was pretty laid back.

Ok I'm in a predicament. Apparently we are supposed to send thank you notes to the interviewers, (I didn't know until I talked to people today that this was expected), but my interviewers forgot to mention their names. One was a rather stern guy, I thought I heard maybe dr shaw? I'm pretty sure he was wearing cowboy boots with scrubs. The other was a biochemist, Not a medical doctor. Anybody have any clue on the names?

Ok I'm in a predicament. Apparently we are supposed to send thank you notes to the interviewers, (I didn't know until I talked to people today that this was expected), but my interviewers forgot to mention their names. One was a rather stern guy, I thought I heard maybe dr shaw? I'm pretty sure he was wearing cowboy boots with scrubs. The other was a biochemist, Not a medical doctor. Anybody have any clue on the names?

If you email Admissions, they'll be able to tell you. I didn't send my interviewers thank-you's last year because I didn't have email addresses/names, and it wasn't a big deal.

If you email Admissions, they'll be able to tell you. I didn't send my interviewers thank-you's last year because I didn't have email addresses/names, and it wasn't a big deal.

Yea, I've been reading up on here and it seems like some people do and some don't. If it doesn't help my chances, I think I'll just pass.

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on here...visited the site a few times but still pretty new. But, I thought I'd comment on the thank you note issue.

I work as an office assistant in a top 25 medical school's residency program. During interview season, we get TONS of thank you's from medical students. And, no one sees them. I am told to throw them straight in the garbage.

It probably differs from school to school, but if it makes you feel better, I say go for it.

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on here...visited the site a few times but still pretty new. But, I thought I'd comment on the thank you note issue.

I work as an office assistant in a top 25 medical school's residency program. During interview season, we get TONS of thank you's from medical students. And, no one sees them. I am told to throw them straight in the garbage.

It probably differs from school to school, but if it makes you feel better, I say go for it.

Ah, thanks for that info. Makes me feel better about not sending them.

Just think, the committee met for the first time this past Tuesday and has likely already made decisions on the first batches of interviews... trying not to think about how long we have to wait for results, but that's not working very well.

Received the rejection e-mail pre-secondary OOS today. Verified mid-August. Shouldn't be too surprised with my numbers but I still am. :( Best of luck to all of you.

Got an II today! Scheduled for the 9/25 PM interview!
Secondary complete: 8/31

Got an invite to interview for Trover! Anyone else going?

Hello everyone,

If you wouldn’t mind me asking, is this the correct secondary application for this application cycle? Are there any additional essay questions besides those listed below? And our answers to each must be less than 500 characters, correct?

Thank you so much and good luck to all!

-------------------------------------
University of Louisville Secondary Application

If you are an out of state student, please explain your interest in attending the University of Louisville School of Medicine:

How well did your high school prepare you for college?

What determined your choice of college(s)?

How do you assess your college record?

Circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance?

Research Experience (including any publications and/or curriculum vitae)

Foreign Travel:

Interests and Hobbies:

Describe any other areas in which you possess interest, expertise or skill. E.g., musicianship of a professional caliber, published writing, language spoken fluently, union level in trades, certification in other professional areas, scouting, etc.:

What career(s) would you probably consider if you could not be a physician?

How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training?
(Please include choice of medical practice and location)

Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program:

Are the interview invites being sent out by email?

Yes. At least that's how I got mine.

Hello everyone,

If you wouldn’t mind me asking, is this the correct secondary application for this application cycle? Are there any additional essay questions besides those listed below? And our answers to each must be less than 500 characters, correct?

Thank you so much and good luck to all!

-------------------------------------
University of Louisville Secondary Application

If you are an out of state student, please explain your interest in attending the University of Louisville School of Medicine:

How well did your high school prepare you for college?

What determined your choice of college(s)?

How do you assess your college record?

Circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance?

Research Experience (including any publications and/or curriculum vitae)

Foreign Travel:

Interests and Hobbies:

Describe any other areas in which you possess interest, expertise or skill. E.g., musicianship of a professional caliber, published writing, language spoken fluently, union level in trades, certification in other professional areas, scouting, etc.:

What career(s) would you probably consider if you could not be a physician?

How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training?
(Please include choice of medical practice and location)

Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program:

All of that is correct. Good luck!

Has anyone interviewed for the Trover Rural Track yet this cycle? I have an upcoming interview and would love to hear how they are going so far, if any have already been conducted. Thanks!

Does Louisville send out a complete email?

Does Louisville send out a complete email?

Yes, but it is the same email that you receive if they give you the secondary.

It basically says, you are now verified by amcas....here is where you should go to fill out our secondary.

They also send an email to notify you of completion and verification of the secondary app.

Hello everyone! OOS applicant here, good luck to all!

I wanted to double check that it is 500 characters max??? or is it 500 words??? Thanks

Hello everyone! OOS applicant here, good luck to all!

I wanted to double check that it is 500 characters max??? or is it 500 words??? Thanks

Pretty certain it was 500 characters, because it was fairly short. You will get an error or won't be able to save the info if it's over the limit, so it will let you know.

Anyone with an interview invite after 9/27? I'm trying to get a sense of how long it will be before they send out the next round.

Anyone with an interview invite after 9/27? I'm trying to get a sense of how long it will be before they send out the next round.

I've been waiting for one too. I got the email that my secondary was complete last week, but haven't heard anything since.

I got an II to UK within a few days, so I think that has skewed my perspective a little. If I remember correctly from last year, U of L II's weren't given out super quickly. Hoping to hear soon and get this thing scheduled....

Okay that makes me feel better. Yeah I got a really quick turn around from UK as well so that's why I was starting to wonder about UofL. I'll post as soon as I hear something either way. Thanks!

Does anyone know how hard they screen OOS applicants for secondary?

Does anyone know how hard they screen OOS applicants for secondary?

They screen OOS pretty well. I believe I have the MSAR numbers from last year, which show the following for how many Applied/ Interviewed/ and Matriculated...

2584/ 130/ 35

Good luck!

How long did it take you all to receive the secondary application after your AMCAS was verified? I'm IS and was under the impression that all IS automatically get secondaries, but I haven't received mine yet.

How long did it take you all to receive the secondary application after your AMCAS was verified? I'm IS and was under the impression that all IS automatically get secondaries, but I haven't received mine yet.

I know they told us that IS applicants do get screened prior to receiving secondaries. I had my AMCAS submitted the first day and received this secondary as soon as they started sending them.

But how long has your AMCAS been complete? You can always call the admissions director and ask how your application looks.

I know they told us that IS applicants do get screened prior to receiving secondaries. I had my AMCAS submitted the first day and received this secondary as soon as they started sending them.

But how long has your AMCAS been complete? You can always call the admissions director and ask how your application looks.
I'm later than most-- my AMCAS was just verified on Friday. Maybe I'm just being impatient! I'll give them a few more days before I call. I wouldn't think my stats would cut me out.. I'm well above their MCAT/GPA avgs.

I received all the other secondaries (or at least acknowledgement that they'd received my app and were reviewing it) already, so I was surprised I hadn't yet heard from Louisville.

I'm later than most-- my AMCAS was just verified on Friday. Maybe I'm just being impatient! I'll give them a few more days before I call. I wouldn't think my stats would cut me out.. I'm well above their MCAT/GPA avgs.

I received all the other secondaries (or at least acknowledgement that they'd received my app and were reviewing it) already, so I was surprised I hadn't yet heard from Louisville.

I would agree that since you were just recently verified, it's a bit early to worry that you haven't received a secondary yet. But yes, there's a fine line between waiting patiently and calling to verify that your app hasn't been overlooked. Good luck!