2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My apologies if someone has already asked this question, but I searched for something similar and I didn't see any posts regarding my issue:

I'm planning on wearing a skirt or dress suit to interviews (I hate wearing pants, I find them uncomfortable and unflattering on myself). However, hailing from the Northeast and always interviewing in the wintertime, I have always paired my dresses and skirts with dark tights, both to keep myself warm and because I feel that I look more professional/rational wearing them than having bare legs in the middle of the winter.

I was wondering if skirts/dresses with tights is only the norm in the Northeast. I'll be interviewing in California, where the weather is much warmer than it is where I am from, and I was wondering if it was the norm for women to forego tights in warmer-weather locations for interviews.

I feel a little silly for asking, but I've seen a few posts from people asking about outfits/preparation for cold-weather interviews, and my advice for any skirt-wearer would be to put on tights, so I hope that asking the opposite (about warm-weather interview attire) isn't too outlandish!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My apologies if someone has already asked this question, but I searched for something similar and I didn't see any posts regarding my issue:

I'm planning on wearing a skirt or dress suit to interviews (I hate wearing pants, I find them uncomfortable and unflattering on myself). However, hailing from the Northeast and always interviewing in the wintertime, I have always paired my dresses and skirts with dark tights, both to keep myself warm and because I feel that I look more professional/rational wearing them than having bare legs in the middle of the winter.

I was wondering if skirts/dresses with tights is only the norm in the Northeast. I'll be interviewing in California, where the weather is much warmer than it is where I am from, and I was wondering if it was the norm for women to forego tights in warmer-weather locations for interviews.

I feel a little silly for asking, but I've seen a few posts from people asking about outfits/preparation for cold-weather interviews, and my advice for any skirt-wearer would be to put on tights, so I hope that asking the opposite (about warm-weather interview attire) isn't too outlandish!

Thanks!
Basing this solely on my personal opinion, I would say tights are totally appropriate anywhere in the US and would look more professional than foregoing them. The only difference would be maybe a knitted or heavier tight would be more fitting for colder climate, and a more minimal or streamlined tight is better for warmer climates. At the end of the day, focus on looking professional. Just based on how covered up I've seen everyone at interviews (i.e., pants, conservative blouses, and jackets), I think I'd see bare legs as being somewhat naked and less professional. But again, personal opinion, and don't worry about looking silly! Just don't wear fishnets or Strawberry Shortcake tights and you'll be good. :)

Reactions: 3 users

Thanks!

Tights would look fine. I mean, Californians wear Uggs in the winter and when I was there recently I saw a lot of people in tights. If anything, I would worry about your legs getting hot. However, some parts of southern California are fairly cold right now anyway.

How does that part of the matching process actually work? Does that mean you matched there because you ranked them no. 9 and so did they? Match equals same ranking number?

Yeah, so as others have explained, I ranked 10 positions (including different tracks) and matched to my 9th ranked position. I'm pretty happy here, but I do sometimes wonder about those other sites and if I'd be happier there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm currently on internship in southern California - tights will fit right in :)

Reactions: 2 users
I've never personally worn tights and am not planning to (my interviews are in CA), but certainly it wouldn't look out of place in any way. So I think you could definitely go either way!

Hi all,
I have an interview next week at a state hospital that involves a group component - where applicants are asked questions in a group and expected to answer. I am a bit nervous as I tend to be on the quiet side. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this yet? What are sites looking for in these group interviews? So far my interviews have been one-on-one or in small groups with interviewers.
Thanks!

Hi all,
I have an interview next week at a state hospital that involves a group component - where applicants are asked questions in a group and expected to answer. I am a bit nervous as I tend to be on the quiet side. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this yet? What are sites looking for in these group interviews? So far my interviews have been one-on-one or in small groups with interviewers.
Thanks!

I had one group interview so far and they had us discuss a hypothetical case. I think it was less about what we said and more about not dominating and being able to listen and build on others ideas. It was interesting bc it was easy to see which people were super competitive and others who did not contribute. I think it is good not to talk too much or too little in these types of interviews.

What is the dress code for open houses? Should I plan to bring 2 suits (one for open house/site visit and one for the interview the next day) or would more business casual be OK for the open house?

What is the dress code for open houses? Should I plan to bring 2 suits (one for open house/site visit and one for the interview the next day) or would more business casual be OK for the open house?

I would wear a suit unless the site explicitly says business casual (some of them do).

Has anyone heard back from IMCES? it is my last site that I'm waiting on.

Hello all. Is anyone here knowledgable on North Carolina - mainly Butner/Gainesville area. I have an interview there and I know absolutely nothing about it. I was wondering if I might be able to rack someone's brain. I am from CA and have started thinking about the difference in people/patients there. For example, culturally......i'd like to gain some understanding of the difference in prejudices and racism. I'd love to PM you if you'd be willing to chat.

Hello all. Is anyone here knowledgable on North Carolina - mainly Butner/Gainesville area. I have an interview there and I know absolutely nothing about it. I was wondering if I might be able to rack someone's brain. I am from CA and have started thinking about the difference in people/patients there. For example, culturally......i'd like to gain some understanding of the difference in prejudices and racism. I'd love to PM you if you'd be willing to chat.
I would love to be included on this as well, if possible. I had a question recently where I had zero sense of cultural differences in the area so am trying to feel these out more!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope interviews are going well for all. I have had 2 of mine, I have 4 total. I feel like I bombed the last one I had friday, as I had to say "I do not know" to a question which I think was intended to make us think out loud, not just give up. I do not know how else to prepare for the remaining two, as this question seemed like it came our of nowhere

I have a question regarding appropriate dress for an upcoming "site visit" I have. Last month, I interviewed at a site that is part of a consortium. All of the sites interviewed at one centralized location, meaning that I was unable to visit the actual site I will be ranking. I have since been invited to come for a brief site visit (30 mins-1 hour). Would you all suggest that I wear my suit again? Or am I safe to wear something a little more casual (e.g., black dress pants and a blouse or cardigan)?

IOL CBT track applicants--has anyone received information on where to go for interviews? I have emailed and called, and still have no idea where I am supposed to be at 9 a.m. tomorrow. Any help is greatly appreciated!

IOL CBT track applicants--has anyone received information on where to go for interviews? I have emailed and called, and still have no idea where I am supposed to be at 9 a.m. tomorrow. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I haven't heard either. I've only revived a date.

what w
I hope interviews are going well for all. I have had 2 of mine, I have 4 total. I feel like I bombed the last one I had friday, as I had to say "I do not know" to a question which I think was intended to make us think out loud, not just give up. I do not know how else to prepare for the remaining two, as this question seemed like it came our of nowhere
what was the question? I have my first interview tomorrow and am wondering what unusual or out-of-the-norm questions people are getting...

CBT interviews at IOL start at 9:00 am! Got the info tonight.

I'
So I spoke with someone who is currently an intern about assessment writing tasks at interviews, and he said, "Bring your books." Of course my response was, "What?! You can use those?!" He told me that he saw applicants bring books and cheat sheets and openly use them during the writing task, and it apparently was not frowned upon. I cannot imagine this is true. Has anyone else heard this? And who wants to lug textbooks around the country?!
I'm really curious about this too. it sounds surprising! I'm also wondering what kinds of writing assignments people have had. I have one coming up and am assuming they might hand us a set of test scores to interpret etc. Has that been other peoples experience?

For those interviewing at the IOL for the CBT track. I've pasted the email below. The ADC is in the Stearns building--you can find a map of the campus on the website, and it's building 15 I believe:

Good afternoon,

I have attached a map and directions to the Anxiety Disorders Center where you will be coming tomorrow morning for 9:00am.

Parking is free and there is parking all around our building. The best parking lot might be the one you see when you first pull in off of Retreat Ave. It’s the “Golf Lot”. There is also a Guard House when you first pull in and you can ask them as well.

I apologize for the delay in getting you this information.

Please feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have.

Thank you!

For those interviewing at the IOL for the CBT track. I've pasted the email below. The ADC is in the Stearns building--you can find a map of the campus on the website, and it's building 15 I believe:

Good afternoon,

I have attached a map and directions to the Anxiety Disorders Center where you will be coming tomorrow morning for 9:00am.

Parking is free and there is parking all around our building. The best parking lot might be the one you see when you first pull in off of Retreat Ave. It’s the “Golf Lot”. There is also a Guard House when you first pull in and you can ask them as well.

I apologize for the delay in getting you this information.

Please feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have.

Thank you!

Ha. I got the same email but it ended after "Anxiety Disorder Center" in he first line. Thanks for posting this!

Dear University of Hawaii college counseling center,
It may be 6pm in your fantastical world of sunshine, beaches, and volcanoes, but I'd like to go to sleep soon.
Stop making me hypomanic.
Sincerely,
Heard from every other site 3 weeks ago and yet I'm still refreshing this forum.

I am still waiting as well.

Anyone hear about the site personally?

I've been told to "just watch, you'll see" when following up with people who say the site is "odd"

They seem like a good site to me, so IDK

Site Name: University of Hawaii Counseling Center
Date notified: Jan 5 (5:30 HST)
Invite or rejection: Invite
Track (please specify even for general tracks): N/A
How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass email
Interview dates offered: many one-hour Skype time slots between Jan 7 & Jan 27 (first come first serve)

I am still waiting as well.

Anyone hear about the site personally?

I've been told to "just watch, you'll see" when following up with people who say the site is "odd"

They seem like a good site to me, so IDK

I am still waiting and honestly may turn down the interview if offered one since my schedule is so full. I do not know much about the site except for what the brochure says. I also know they usually have several spots open in phase ii but do not know why. All of their interns from the past several years have been PsyD students so I am doubting that they will be interested in me, but we will see.

Does anybody have a current brochure for CMHI Fort Logan? I just realized the one they have on their website hasn't been updated since 2012ish.

4 down, 7 to go!

If anyone else on here interviewed at Fort Logan today, PM me so we can swap notes. Also if anyone is interviewing at Friends Hospital or Central Regional next week, I'd love to touch base first.

Out of curiosity, what are people's opinions on taking notes during interviews, and/or bringing a written list of questions to ask interviewers? I've seen mixed opinions about this on past threads. I don't want to appear unprepared or disengaged, but my memory isn't great when I'm feeling anxious, and I want to make sure I remember the important stuff!

Out of curiosity, what are people's opinions on taking notes during interviews, and/or bringing a written list of questions to ask interviewers? I've seen mixed opinions about this on past threads. I don't want to appear unprepared or disengaged, but my memory isn't great when I'm feeling anxious, and I want to make sure I remember the important stuff!
It is fine to take notes or to write down your questions. It certainly isn't required, but it absolutely makes sense to come with notes and/or to take them during the interview. Those who are interviewing do :) And being anxious is normal so why not give yourself that security, even if you don't end up using them much. Taking notes afterwards and before the next interview so you capture your thoughts and feelings may also be a good idea, as your impressions may begin to blur. (Interviewers do that too.)

Does anybody have a current brochure for CMHI Fort Logan? I just realized the one they have on their website hasn't been updated since 2012ish.
Were you able to get one? I have one that they emailed me months ago (though I didn't end up applying). Will PM you.

Did anyone who has interviewed with Advocate Family Care Network NOT received a second interview? They said in the interview/in their brochure that they ask individuals they are particularly interested in back, but it seemed like everyone at my interview day who was from out of town came back later for a second interview. I'm an "in town" applicant, so I got a phone call the next day to schedule mine. They interview 24 folks for 2 spots, so I guess I'm just trying to get a sense of whether they really are considering ranking me high or if they give a second interview to everyone that doesn't seem like a poor fit after the first. Reassurance seeking I knooooow....

Did anyone who has interviewed with Advocate Family Care Network NOT received a second interview? They said in the interview/in their brochure that they ask individuals they are particularly interested in back, but it seemed like everyone at my interview day who was from out of town came back later for a second interview. I'm an "in town" applicant, so I got a phone call the next day to schedule mine. They interview 24 folks for 2 spots, so I guess I'm just trying to get a sense of whether they really are considering ranking me high or if they give a second interview to everyone that doesn't seem like a poor fit after the first. Reassurance seeking I knooooow....

Maybe they just had a good batch on the day you interviewed!

Is anybody interviewing at UCLA on January 16 and/or going to be in the LA area between January 14-17? Please send me a PM!