2014-2015 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone who has interviewed already help me out... I'm interviewing in March and would like tips on how to prepare for the 1 on 1 interview, what can I expect? Is it open or closed file? ... Also, I've interviewed at other MS with MMIs before and find them fun, but no 1 on 1s yet. Thank you so much for the help!
1 on 1 is very laid back and with a student. They're just checking you out as a person.

Can you speak with them? Can you be a buddy? Are you fun? Do you have severe social deficiencies that cripple your personality and ability to interact with others? How will you work into the class as a fellow student?

Thats what they're looking for. Loosen up and you'll be fine. If you're a guy, always unbutton your suit coat as you sit down. (I cross my leg to show I'm comfortable... thats just me though.)

Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the "full acceptance/you passed the background check email." Just an FYI, as I'm not sure if anyone posted about this already.

Just got the "full acceptance/you passed the background check email." Just an FYI, as I'm not sure if anyone posted about this already.

When were you accepted? When did you submit your background check?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was conditionally accepted on 10/22 and submitted the background check on 01/17!

When were you accepted? When did you submit your background check?

Fully accepted today too. Thank God they glossed over my candy thefts in grade school. (phew!)

For those of you wondering about turn around time, or who are thinking ahead for applying next year, here are my dates.

AMCAS Submitted: June 3, 2014 (First day one can submit on the AMCAS website)
AMCAS Verified: June 11, 2014
Secondary Submitted: June 15, 2014 (24 hours after receiving secondary application)
Interview Offer: August 22, 2014
Interview: September 29th, 2014
Acceptance: October 15th, 2014 (First day Medical Schools can legally accept)
Full Acceptance: Feb 18th, 2015

(Note: I HIGHLY recommend applying as soon as possible.)

Does anyone know what MSU's average step 1 scores have been lately? I realize its not the most important stat but I am still curious.

Does anyone know what MSU's average step 1 scores have been lately? I realize its not the most important stat but I am still curious.

I haven't heard of a school advertising the average score, usually they flaunt the pass rate. I can't seem to find either for MSU though, let us know if you dig anything up!

If you have a membership to the US News Report Rankings, they have it under one of the school's subsections!

Unfortunately I don't have a membership to USNWR, but if I find anything I'll post it here.

Got my official rejection email today.

If you have a membership to the US News Report Rankings, they have it under one of the school's subsections!

I must tell you that any of that information is NOT an accurate representation of their Step 1 average scores. I have on good authority that NO US medical school advertises either their pass rate or their average step scores. I have spoken to our asst dean about this due to some of the committees I am on, that data is NOT for public consumption.

1 on 1 is very laid back and with a student. They're just checking you out as a person.

Can you speak with them? Can you be a buddy? Are you fun? Do you have severe social deficiencies that cripple your personality and ability to interact with others? How will you work into the class as a fellow student?

Thats what they're looking for. Loosen up and you'll be fine. If you're a guy, always unbutton your suit coat as you sit down. (I cross my leg to show I'm comfortable... thats just me though.)

Good luck :)

Except for the part about crippling social deficiencies, the rest of this is not exactly great advice. It sounds a bit too "Broey", to be honest, as student interviewers we don't want to be buddies or have fun with you, we want to see if you fit the mission and culture of the school.
It would be in your best interest to relax, be yourself, and be honest BUT do not take this interview too lightly, these are your possible future colleagues and this is a professional interview, you should treat it as such

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

A school's average step 1 score doesn't matter, the only step 1 score that matters is YOURS. Trust me when I tell you that Harvard has both 250's and 220's and even a few 210's in their class each year. I would advise against using any such criteria in making a school matriculation decision. Go where you can feel comfortable for 4 years, the steps and everything else will sort itself out later.

...misspoke, to tired to re- type it

Last edited:
This is mostly true, however we have had years where we didn't take anyone from the alternate list. The class size is supposed to be 100 at each pre-clin site but we always have deferrals or students extending their preclinical years, so we accept about 190 shooting for a class of 200.
It is highly variable from year to year. I wish you all the luck in the world if you are on a wait list, it is not a fun place to be. I always root for the wait listed students!

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1424389537.722450.jpg

Based on what MSU shared a few days ago, it would be wise for those waitlisted to extend updates letters that really woo the admissions committee

Interesting document, is that from interview day?

Anyone else have acceptances to MSUCHM & Wayne and wondering which to choose? Feel free to PM if you feel more comfortable.

For anyone that interviewed out of state, which airport did you go to and are there any choices available for housing? Would hotel be the only way for this? And is it advisable to rent a car too? I just got an II and I'm just scrambling to see if I can afford to go and how to get there in a timely manner.

For anyone that interviewed out of state, which airport did you go to and are there any choices available for housing? Would hotel be the only way for this? And is it advisable to rent a car too? I just got an II and I'm just scrambling to see if I can afford to go and how to get there in a timely manner.
If it's not too much more, I would fly into the Lansing airport. If not, probably Detroit is the best option. Either way, rent a car. I interviewed with a girl that took a cab from Detroit and a cab to the Lansing airport and it seemed like an absolute hassle. It will also widen your hotel options. I don't know if they have a student host program or not. The other option is to fly cheap to Chicago (which is usually cheaper than Detroit) and rent a car and drive. I think it's a 4 hour drive but most rental cars have reasonable daily prices and unlimited miles. You may be able to save some money. There's also a train option from Chicago to East Lansing.

Any idea how many offers for admission have already been made here?

Anyone else have acceptances to MSUCHM & Wayne and wondering which to choose? Feel free to PM if you feel more comfortable.

Right here. But I'm 99.9% sure I'm choosing MSUCHM. When I interviewed at CHM, I felt extremely at home. Maybe that comes from being an MSU undergrad, but I think its the atmosphere too. On the contrary, I felt like a small fish in a big pond (More like Lake Michigan) when I interviewed at Wayne. To me, it felt too big and too cold. However, I know many of their students who are head over heels in love with the school. So maybe a second look day will allow me to see more of what they see.

At the end of the day... Both are great schools and each will give you a unique and unforgettable experience.

Good luck with your decision!

I'm faced with the decision between MSUCHM and MSUCOM. I'm still waitlisted at Wayne. I think I'm leaning toward MSUCHM right now though. Next weekend I'm going to meet with admissions/faculty from CHM and COM while my school is on spring break--that might sway my decision.

Has everyone that's been conditionally accepted received a full acceptance email?

@shinsoochoo , CONGRATS on getting an acceptance call! As for pre-clinical campus choice, none of the accepted students have been sent info on that, other than "we will let you know in April." All of the info online says that decisions will be announced no later than the end of April, so I expect that we would apply beginning of April. Second look days are April 16 and 17.

Also, during my 1 on 1 interview, the student informed me that more students apply to Secchia than EL, but if you select EL, you are pretty much guaranteed a spot there. Which makes it easier to find apartments as they start filling up in May-June.

It seems like we will all be getting our info at the end of April, the website says no later than April 30.

No, in order to be considered for the ABLE program you have to be offered an interview, and attend the interview day. From there, the committee meets and if they feel you would be a good fit, then they refer your application to the ABLE committee for a final decision. After you are notified of the decision to forward the application, the committee will come back and ask for more information from you, and you can ask about the curriculum in place. From what I understand the standard is to take Gross Anatomy with the first year med students that matriculate, as well as other med school classes, and some more upper level undergrad biology courses like neuroscience. If accepted, you will do the curriculum and if you maintain a 3.3 G.P.A then you are automatically accepted into the following years matriculating class (2016), and don't have to apply at all.

I was referred to the ABLE committee because I have a less than stellar G.P.A as well, but solid MCAT, leadership, research, etc.

They make the final decisions of those accepted in June and you are notified of the committees decision. I still have not heard back from them on what else is needed yet so I'm actually in the midst of calling to see if they actually received my application or not.

Good luck!

P.S. I forgot to mention, it is more for first generation college students, and those from medically underserved areas I do believe. I might have made that part up though but I think I do remember reading that.

P.S.S. I will copy and paste the e-mail I got of their decision and everything so you can read for yourself.

"Dear CHM Applicant:

The College of Human Medicine Committee on Admissions has carefully reviewed your entire application, including your academic record, AMCAS and Secondary Applications, interview assessments, and letters of evaluation. Upon review of your academic profile (grade point averages and MCAT scores), the Advanced Baccalaureate Learning Experience (ABLE) postbaccalaureate program is recommended rather than direct admission. Thus, your application has been referred to the ABLE Selection Committee for review for admittance to the 2015 entering ABLE class. Students who successfully complete the ABLE program are admitted into CHM's entering class for the fall semester immediately following the completion of the ABLE program.

Unlike a traditional postbaccalaureate program, the only applicants eligible for acceptance into the ABLE program are those that attend Interview Day and are subsequently referred to ABLE by the Committee on Admissions.

The goal of the ABLE program is to build upon the student's background in the basic sciences and then strengthen that background through enrollment in selected upper-division (300-400 level) undergraduate science and medical school courses. To help assure success in these courses, ABLE students receive individualized assistance in developing academic learning strategies. For more information about the ABLE program, please visit http://MDadmissions.msu.edu/ABLE/able.php.

Dr. Wanda Lipscomb, the ABLE program director, will be sending you a request for additional materials for review purposes. Please understand that referral to the ABLE program does not guarantee acceptance into the program. Not all applicants referred to ABLE will be offered a position.

Your application with CHM is on hold while the ABLE Selection Committee reviews all of the applicants referred to the ABLE program. A final decision on your application will be made by the ABLE Review Committee in June, 2015.

If you are not interested in being considered for the ABLE program and wish to withdraw your application to CHM, please send a brief email message to [email protected].

Sincerely,

Joel Maurer, MD, FACOG
Assistant Dean for Admissions"

Hey I just got the same email today! The program sounds great, but waiting until June for acceptance into the ABLE program seems like a long time to wait. Any idea what the acceptance rate into the program is once you're actually referred? And has the committee emailed you for more info since you were referred?

Hey I just got the same email today! The program sounds great, but waiting until June for acceptance into the ABLE program seems like a long time to wait. Any idea what the acceptance rate into the program is once you're actually referred? And has the committee emailed you for more info since you were referred?

Yes! I actually got the e-mail over spring break. Sorry it took me a little longer to reply. PChem II is a pain in the @$$! I'm doing well, but dear lord is this class the epitome of the devil! They sent me an e-mail containing four attachments. One shows the curriculum, one shows the expectations of students, one is for inputting classes taken this past academic year due to the gap when applying, and the last one is for you to answer a few questions about WHY you want to be in the program, what your strengths/weaknesses are in academic life, etc. You're supposed to finish everything and reply to them.

I actually had to give them a phone call though because there aren't enough spaces for me to put in my classes from fall semester. (I took 19 credit hours with 5 science classes and whew, I'm just glad it's over). Just waiting to hear back on that.

Yes! I actually got the e-mail over spring break. Sorry it took me a little longer to reply. PChem II is a pain in the @$$! I'm doing well, but dear lord is this class the epitome of the devil! They sent me an e-mail containing four attachments. One shows the curriculum, one shows the expectations of students, one is for inputting classes taken this past academic year due to the gap when applying, and the last one is for you to answer a few questions about WHY you want to be in the program, what your strengths/weaknesses are in academic life, etc. You're supposed to finish everything and reply to them.

I actually had to give them a phone call though because there aren't enough spaces for me to put in my classes from fall semester. (I took 19 credit hours with 5 science classes and whew, I'm just glad it's over). Just waiting to hear back on that.

Oh wow 5 science classes in a semester, that's crazy! But I'm sure you rocked it. And awesome, thanks, so I guess I'll just wait for that e-mail for the followup information. Did it take about a month from the date of the referral e-mail to receive the followup e-mail? I was planning on delaying my graduation a semester so I could double major, but we probably have to have our undergraduate degrees before entering ABLE!

Does anyone know when the acceptance for the LMU program will be made?

Does anyone know why the tuition for years 3 and 4 is so much more expensive than years 1 and 2? http://www.finaid.msu.edu/read/budchm.pdf. It averages $29,600/year for years 1 and 2 and $41,781/year for years 3 and 4.

The first two years have a summer break, each of different length, but in 3rd and 4th year you attend classes (clerk ships) year round so tuition is more

Withdrew my acceptance today. Hoping that it goes to one of you fantastic people!

Another school that I was accepted to has a required health certification form where your doctor has to confirm you've received the proper immunizations as well as confirm you meet the school's technical standards. I want to go to the doctor soon - does anyone have a link to MSU's form for that?

For current students, how do you feel about the quality of the lecturers? Is it hit or miss on different topics? Are classes mainly taught by research professors?

So...where to start...

To answer - lecturers are MDs, PhDs, and instructors, but that is every medical school in the US, save one or two...

On your other point....

If you happen to find a medical college, university, highschool, grade school, or preschool where all of the lecturers are spot on, are completely understandable, speak slowly enough for you to annotate your course materials, and don't run over on time ever....
Then be my guest and go there, and be sure to tell us all the color of the sky on that campus too, ok?!

I think I know what you are getting at here , I can presume you have multiple acceptances and you are trying to find some obscure metric by which to help you decide... Don't strain yourself, go where you feel comfortable and want to be....
All those other things just don't matter.

If you have just a CHM acceptance, then embrace it and know that you will be coming to a great med school with awesome students and faculty, none of which are perfect but we all get along, we love what we do, and we are all Spartans,

GO GREEN

Reactions: 2 users
So...where to start...

To answer - lecturers are MDs, PhDs, and instructors, but that is every medical school in the US, save one or two...

On your other point....

If you happen to find a medical college, university, highschool, grade school, or preschool where all of the lecturers are spot on, are completely understandable, speak slowly enough for you to annotate your course materials, and don't run over on time ever....
Then be my guest and go there, and be sure to tell us all the color of the sky on that campus too, ok?!

I think I know what you are getting at here , I can presume you have multiple acceptances and you are trying to find some obscure metric by which to help you decide... Don't strain yourself, go where you feel comfortable and want to be....
All those other things just don't matter.

If you have just a CHM acceptance, then embrace it and know that you will be coming to a great med school with awesome students and faculty, none of which are perfect but we all get along, we love what we do, and we are all Spartans,

GO GREEN
On that note....sort of, can you tell us your thoughts on East Lansing vs. the Grand Rapids campus?

Well.....
I have a bias for EL, and I will leave it at that

Last edited: