2014-2015 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any other OOS students attending second look day?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any other OOS students attending second look day?
I will be! But I think just the EL one since my interview was at GR and I saw the school, area, etc.

Will you be at both?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also OOS, attending both and stoked! No idea about campus preference to be honest. If there is a substantial thread about choosing i'd highly appreciate a link.

Last edited:
Also OOS, attending both and stoked! No idea about campus preference to be honest. If there is a substantial thread about choosing i'd highly appreciate a link.

I can't decide which campus either--both cities really have a lot to offer. I am leaning toward EL though because my SO will be applying to PhD programs in English and Literature next year and we're really hoping MSU will accept her. I also know she's gonna be going through a similar apply-broadly a type of ordeal for that and it might not work out to be that close together while we're in school.

OOS going to second look to both campuses. I interviewed at Grand Rapids but I felt rushed. They mentioned that this time around we could actually go inside the labs and get a detailed tour. Also, I don't know anything about the East Lansing campus. If I do end up going to MSU, I want to make sure I choose the right campus...

I will be! But I think just the EL one since my interview was at GR and I saw the school, area, etc.

Will you be at both?

Yup! I'll be at both sites. Not sure if there's transportation between look days, but I'm renting a car (flying into Chicago) and driving to both, if anyone wants a ride between Grand Rapids/East Lansing. Just PM me.

I know this is a bit late, but anyone willing to host me at EL Thursday night?

I second this. Can anyone provide insight about the pros/cons of living at both sites. I want both research and underserved community exposure, so I'm really at a loss for which site would provide good opportunities for both.

Just got on the alternate list today, interviewed 3/27, in state.

I second this. Can anyone provide insight about the pros/cons of living at both sites. I want both research and underserved community exposure, so I'm really at a loss for which site would provide good opportunities for both.

I started a response similar to this a couple months ago. For some reason I never posted it or thought there wasn't much interest in it. Anyways, I'll pull out what I remember. (Feel free to add anything but read my closing remarks first.)

Experience: Four years in East Lansing and a year in Grand Rapids.

PART 1: East Lansing

What the town has to offer
The easiest way to describe EL is the obvious: it is a college town. The bars are loud, casual conversation does not exceed The Walking Dead, life is spontaneous, and every weekend, no matter what the weather, is a party weekend. These aspects can be viewed as good or bad. Regardless, you will find fun in one form or another. This is the home of a school finishing Top 10 in both football and basketball. Because of this success, blood-bound camaraderie is as easy as slipping on some form of Spartan apparel. Yes, you're here to become a doctor, but the time you spend with your head in a book is meaningless if your happiness is low and stress is high. Sometimes we just need to "derp-out" for a couple hours. On top of this, the campus and surrounding area capitalize on students resilience to travel far for what they need. Everything is within reach. One downfall is lack of choice in fitness facilities. Basically, it comes down to IM gyms (where undergraduates file in like ants to a crowded colony) or Powerhouse. Any other isn't worth mentioning (at least for me.) But! Powerhouse is expanding to three times its current size and should be shiny and new come Fall.

What about housing
This is where MSUCHM makes it hard on us. By giving our assigned campus in April, EL students are doomed to pick through the left over remains of the october housing feeding frenzy. MSU undergraduates camp out, nearly a year before their lease starts, to score a prize house or stellar apartment. Whats left are a few gems and a lot of overpriced or out of reach dwellings. Now, that isn't to say that finding adequate housing is impossible, but it may be significantly harder to find what you're looking for (for at least your first year.) Rent ranges from 450 for something miles away in Chandler to 1000+ for those 'industrial chic' apartments above the Hopcat. Everything in between comes down to an equation of quality over distance.

What do I know about the facilities
Most classes occur in Fee, the Life Sciences Building, or the Clinical Center. To be blunt, Fee was designed in an architecturally impaired era. I've worked in it. It isn't bad. It isn't great. It stands on a weird middle ground between "that'll do" and "why are the halls curved." On the other hand, Life Sciences and the Clinical Center are put together nicely and a brand new building is being built in between. If you interviewed in Grand Rapids, you may have seen the wonderfully bright study space referred to as "the nest." The EL location has anything but. More of a bat cave with less gadgets and no Alfred Pennyworth. HOWEVER, just because there is a study space, that may or may not be your ideal location, does not mean it is the only place to study. By now, each and everyone of us have learned what works best for us. Coffee shops, varying libraries, classrooms, our rooms, our roommates rooms, or in desperate times...the bar... all work perfectly fine.

PART 2: Grand Rapids

In juxtaposition to earlier comments, the bars are quieter, casual conversation is slightly elevated, and weekends are variable. Again, fun can be found in one form or another. Sports are still alive at a hour drive the East Lansing campus or one may support local teams (example: Griffins). GR is host to several city wide events such as 5-10ks, Art Prize, ect. It is also home to a wide array of breweries to satisfy even the snobbiest of beer snobs. Access to resources are still in close proximity to the individual, but may require an extended hike or brief drive. Regarding fitness facilities, rates are steeper but options are numerous.

What about housing
Housing is easier to come by but at slightly elevated prices. However, where EL charges an arm, a leg, and rights to your first born for four walls and lead paint, GR boasts a much larger selection of beautiful apartments/houses, within walking distance to Secchia, at understandable rates. Average price is guestimated in the 600-1000 range along the same theme of distance quality divided by distance. Essentially, you may get more for what you pay for in GR than EL. Another nice point is that the risk of bass bumping, IDGAF singing neighboring apartments is significantly less than EL. However, that means your own bass bumping, IDGAF singing apartment may not be well received by your own neighbors.

Lets face it, if the facilities were related, the Secchia Center is obviously the prettier sister. As the son of an architect, the building is stunning in comparison to many other medical school facilities. The flood of natural light, in a four story atrium, is energizing and uplifting. Balconies overlooking the topography of GR is a wonderful place for an after class break. This may be the only category where GR completely outshines EL. But this is just my opinion and another student may see the two in completely different light.

WHAT DOES IT ALL BOIL DOWN TO?
Can you study in both locations? - Yes
Can you find happiness in both locations? - Yes
Do you have an abundance of opportunity for research and volunteer work in both locations? - You bet
Will both locations allow you to become a doctor? - Of course

Both sites provide great opportunities for everything you'll need to build your pre-residency resume. It is not as if one is severely disadvantaged; and there is no metric to quantify the potential success, of a particular individual, in either location. You will find your niche. You will find what you are searching after. And you will succeed because thats what Spartans do.

Reactions: 2 users
What are you guys planning on wearing for the 2nd look days? I know the website says casual wear is okay, but does that mean jeans are okay as long as they aren't holey and beat up?

I started a response similar to this a couple months ago. For some reason I never posted it or thought there wasn't much interest in it. Anyways, I'll pull out what I remember. (Feel free to add anything but read my closing remarks first.)

Experience: Four years in East Lansing and a year in Grand Rapids.

PART 1: East Lansing

The easiest way to describe EL is the obvious: it is a college town. The bars are loud, casual conversation does not exceed The Walking Dead, life is spontaneous, and every weekend, no matter what the weather, is a party weekend. These aspects can be viewed as good or bad. Regardless, you will find fun in one form or another. This is the home of a school finishing Top 10 in both football and basketball. Because of this success, blood-bound camaraderie is as easy as slipping on some form of Spartan apparel. Yes, you're here to become a doctor, but the time you spend with your head in a book is meaningless if your happiness is low and stress is high. Sometimes we just need to "derp-out" for a couple hours. On top of this, the campus and surrounding area capitalize on students resilience to travel far for what they need. Everything is within reach. One downfall is lack of choice in fitness facilities. Basically, it comes down to IM gyms (where undergraduates file in like ants to a crowded colony) or Powerhouse. Any other isn't worth mentioning (at least for me.) But! Powerhouse is expanding to three times its current size and should be shiny and new come Fall.

What about housing
This is where MSUCHM makes it hard on us. By giving our assigned campus in April, EL students are doomed to pick through the left over remains of the october housing feeding frenzy. MSU undergraduates camp out, nearly a year before their lease starts, to score a prize house or stellar apartment. Whats left are a few gems and a lot of overpriced or out of reach dwellings. Now, that isn't to say that finding adequate housing is impossible, but it may be significantly harder to find what you're looking for (for at least your first year.) Rent ranges from 450 for something miles away in Chandler to 1000+ for those 'industrial chic' apartments above the Hopcat. Everything in between comes down to an equation of quality over distance.

Most classes occur in Fee, the Life Sciences Building, or the Clinical Center. To be blunt, Fee was designed in an architecturally impaired era. I've worked in it. It isn't bad. It isn't great. It stands on a weird middle ground between "that'll do" and "why are the halls curved." On the other hand, Life Sciences and the Clinical Center are put together nicely and a brand new building is being built in between. If you interviewed in Grand Rapids, you may have seen the wonderfully bright study space referred to as "the nest." The EL location has anything but. More of a bat cave with less gadgets and no Alfred Pennyworth. HOWEVER, just because there is a study space, that may or may not be your ideal location, does not mean it is the only place to study. By now, each and everyone of us have learned what works best for us. Coffee shops, varying libraries, classrooms, our rooms, our roommates rooms, or in desperate times...the bar... all work perfectly fine.

PART 2: Grand Rapids

In juxtaposition to earlier comments, the bars are quieter, casual conversation is slightly elevated, and weekends are variable. Again, fun can be found in one form or another. Sports are still alive at a hour drive the East Lansing campus or one may support local teams (example: Griffins). GR is host to several city wide events such as 5-10ks, Art Prize, ect. It is also home to a wide array of breweries to satisfy even the snobbiest of beer snobs. Access to resources are still in close proximity to the individual, but may require an extended hike or brief drive. Regarding fitness facilities, rates are steeper but options are numerous.

What about housing
Housing is easier to come by but at slightly elevated prices. However, where EL charges an arm, a leg, and rights to your first born for four walls and lead paint, GR boasts a much larger selection of beautiful apartments/houses, within walking distance to Secchia, at understandable rates. Average price is guestimated in the 600-1000 range along the same theme of distance quality divided by distance. Essentially, you may get more for what you pay for in GR than EL. Another nice point is that the risk of bass bumping, IDGAF singing neighboring apartments is significantly less than EL. However, that means your own bass bumping, IDGAF singing apartment may not be well received by your own neighbors.

Lets face it, if the facilities were related, the Secchia Center is obviously the prettier sister. As the son of an architect, the building is stunning in comparison to many other medical school facilities. The flood of natural light, in a four story atrium, is energizing and uplifting. Balconies overlooking the topography of GR is a wonderful place for an after class break. This may be the only category where GR completely outshines EL. But this is just my opinion and another student may see the two in completely different light.

WHAT DOES IT ALL BOIL DOWN TO?
Can you study in both locations? - Yes
Can you find happiness in both locations? - Yes
Do you have an abundance of opportunity for research and volunteer work in both locations? - You bet
Will both locations allow you to become a doctor? - Of course

Both sites provide great opportunities for everything you'll need to build your pre-residency resume. It is not as if one is severely disadvantaged; and there is no metric to quantify the potential success, of a particular individual, in either location. You will find your niche. You will find what you are searching after. And you will succeed because thats what Spartans do.

Thank you so much for your response! This actually gives me a good idea about where I want to end up. I'll verify at Second Look Days, but it certainly helps me decide what kind of "vibe" I want to spend at least 2 years of medical school in.

What are you guys planning on wearing for the 2nd look days? I know the website says casual wear is okay, but does that mean jeans are okay as long as they aren't holey and beat up?

I think that should be okay. There's just mention of no shorts, T-shirts, or tank tops on the website.

For those that have been in the ABLE program previously, did they tell you when you were accepted on the date they expected for it to be the "latest"? Did you hear sooner? I have a graduation trip planned to Punta Cana, and I come back on the 28th! We are supposed to know either that date or the next day at the latest. I don't remember.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew from here today. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Can someone elaborate on the junior and senior surgery clerkship and how they're broken up?

Withdrew today. Waitlisted on GR campus so sorry, no movement on that list :( but hopefully someone on the overall waitlist will get my spot!

Withdrew my acceptance (and in turn my GR spot) today. It was a very tough decision, but I am confident that this spot will go to an amazing and deserving student! Wishing you all the best.

I got an email stating that I was removed from the Alternate list today. I guess they are looking at it now. Anyone else got the same email?

No news at all, was thinking of calling admissions. I wish they would email the alternate list an update on the situation:(

I was accepted off the alternate list on Friday! I was put on it on April 1. So there's still hope :)

I was accepted to ABLE today! Anyone else hear good news? Anyone doing the ABLE program?!

Well that was a nice surprise, just received a call offering an acceptance! I interviewed in February and was alternate listed soon after with me thinking that was the end of that (especially with the lack of movement last year).

In case others are wondering, my academic stats are mediocre with my first year of college dragging down my GPA (3.34 science GPA and 30 MCAT). However I had great letters, strong EC's, and my grades had a strong upward trend after the first year.

I guess all I really have to say is that there is still hope if you're on the alternate list! :nod: