2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
another day w/o II!!! omg 3 rejections and 1 hold...sigh..I HATE THIS!!!!!!!!
woah woah woah the day isn't over yet....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
<- how I am feeling. as a penguin.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm here too, complete at about 10 of the schools I applied to a month ago now.

37 mcat
3.4 sGPA
3.5 cgpa

Donde esta my IIs? :/

Posted using SDN Mobile

Ugh so jealous of high mcat low gpa (no offense) applicants like you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
LizzyM 76, complete everywhere (26 schools) in early/mid august, and all I have is one rejection and NO IIs.
WHAT IS GOING ON.

I was complete the same time with a 73 and a lot more schools and have just one II at a notoriously efficient/fast processing school. I think we have good things coming as most schools are only just getting to early August completion dates. Let's regroup at the end of September and see.

Reactions: 2 users
Starting to hit two months of completion. Only 2 rejections and silence! :(

LizzyM 76, complete everywhere (26 schools) in early/mid august, and all I have is one rejection and NO IIs.
WHAT IS GOING ON.
We're in similar situations my friend. It sucks, like I'm actually sad it's the weekend because it basically means another 2 days without IIs. BUT it's still really early, I'm sure we'll get our shot.

We're in similar situations my friend. It sucks, like I'm actually sad it's the weekend because it basically means another 2 days without IIs. BUT it's still really early, I'm sure we'll get our shot.
I used to think so and that I can take time off from panicking during the weekend---Except there are a few schools gave II on weekends. Stanford at 7am EST on Sunday/Duke at Sunday afternoon.

Definitely do not lose hope!!! just got my first II when I was least expecting it (I mean, Saturday afternoon, come on)!
THEY WILL COME. :)
I was complete the same time with a 73 and a lot more schools and have just one II at a notoriously efficient/fast processing school. I think we have good things coming as most schools are only just getting to early August completion dates. Let's regroup at the end of September and see.

Reactions: 4 users
2 rejections. I didn't want to get mugged in Camden anyway.

Reactions: 8 users
hoping for good news at least this week!!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
still no news...

Does anyone know what percent of interview slots are filled at schools?

still no news...

Does anyone know what percent of interview slots are filled at schools?

Totally depends on the school. Some schools are still scheduling October interviews, others are already booked way out into January/February.

Edit to add: you can check the individual school specific threads for the schools you applied to to get an idea of where they are at. People often post when they get IIs and when their apps were complete/when their interview is scheduled for.

3 rejections in a row now. Panic mode activated.... :S

1 rejection and complete silence from the rest. Starting to freak out...

This is driving me crazy.....
I had a dream about getting into med schools 3 times in a row.

Penguin didn't do much......currently at 3 rejections, 1 hold, and still no Vandy secondary....LizzyM 71

3 rejections in a row now. Panic mode activated.... :S

aw! sorry to hear that!! but if i remember correctly, you got a couple interviews coming up! I bet you would rock them!

aw! sorry to hear that!! but if i remember correctly, you got a couple interviews coming up! I bet you would rock them!
Aww, thanks for that!! Yes, I'm happy with my II count (5 so far), but I'm a reapplicant, and I NEED to move on with my life :)

Aww, thanks for that!! Yes, I'm happy with my II count (5 so far), but I'm a reapplicant, and I NEED to move on with my life :)

Dude...very happy for you but I think you're just kicking people while they're down in this thread.

Reactions: 8 users
Dude...very happy for you but I think you're just kicking people while they're down in this thread.
Don't even.

As I mentioned, I'm a reapplicant, and when I said I *need* to move on with my life, I meant it. I'm keeping it vague for this forum, but I just need to get going forward again.

Don't even.

As I mentioned, I'm a reapplicant, and when I said I *need* to move on with my life, I meant it. I'm keeping it vague for this forum, but I just need to get going forward again.
Yes, but you're posting in a panic thread where people haven't gotten a single interview and you are almost at a half dozen. Instead of posting on here maybe you should practice interviewing so you can nail your 5 interviews and "move on with your life."

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, but you're posting in a panic thread where people haven't gotten a single interview and you are almost at a half dozen. Instead of posting on here maybe you should practice interviewing so you can nail your 5 interviews and "move on with your life."

Completely agree. Anyone with 5 interviews should not be posting in this thread like they have any idea what it's like for those without any interviews.

I'd be real curious to see how many of you actually have zero II. I don't post In here because I'm not panicking but SDN neuroticism runs high and I bet many of the people In this panic thread have at least 1-2 II.

I think that until someone has an acceptance in their hand, it's okay to be panicking, since nothing is guaranteed and the process is stressful. Since I don't think there are any EDP applicants with their acceptance in this thread, let's just let everyone be neurotic for their own reasons :D

I think that until someone has an acceptance in their hand, it's okay to be panicking, since nothing is guaranteed and the process is stressful. Since I don't think there are any EDP applicants with their acceptance in this thread, let's just let everyone be neurotic for their own reasons :D

Lol. Well that's fair. After October 15th, anyone with an acceptance can abort from this thread. Then people will start being neurotic over their first choice etc...

Lol. Well that's fair. After October 15th, anyone with an acceptance can abort from this thread. Then people will start being neurotic over their first choice etc...

Exactly, 4 years from now, we'll be seeing the same people panicking about residency =) It never ends!!!!

If we see in the school specific threads that people who were complete after you got II's, does that mean you were passed over? Or is it still possible to get an interview?

My understanding is that it means those people were *probably* more qualified candidates than you, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get an interview. Like, if there are "A" candidates through "H" candidates, the school will eventually select categories A, B, and some of C, but the A candidates will get interviews & acceptances first.

If we see in the school specific threads that people who were complete after you got II's, does that mean you were passed over? Or is it still possible to get an interview?

Def not! I'm proof. Dont read into those threads too much. You can def still get an interview.

Def not! I'm proof. Dont read into those threads too much. You can def still get an interview.
Which school if you don't mind me asking? Also, thanks for the positive words. :)

Many ppl posted weeks ago and maybe didn't have anything at the time but now do. A day or a week can change things.

Reactions: 2 users
Which school if you don't mind me asking? Also, thanks for the positive words. :)

UC irvine, Cornell, and UCLA. Again, don't stress out too much. I try and not concern myself too much with other peoples numbers or completion dates because it won't matter at the end. Good luck :)

UC irvine, Cornell, and UCLA. Again, don't stress out too much. I try and not concern myself too much with other peoples numbers or completion dates because it won't matter at the end. Good luck :)
Congrats on the II's man. Your app must be beastly haha.

Congrats on the II's man. Your app must be beastly haha.

Thank you!! I've been very lucky to get many many II, but I know everyone has worked hard to get here so a little luck goes a long way.

Hang in there. This process can be long and it only takes one

I'd be real curious to see how many of you actually have zero II. I don't post In here because I'm not panicking but SDN neuroticism runs high and I bet many of the people In this panic thread have at least 1-2 II.
I have 0 so far with a 29 mcat and 3.94 gpa.

Don't say it's luck. You worked hard to get interviews.

I've known many people that worked just as hard as me, so that's why I say luck. Because at the end of the day I think schools look for things in applicants and it's not only about hardwork...Although id like to think I've busted my butt too.

Anyhow, I don't know what goes into this process but I have been fortunate. That's all I'm saying. I wish everyone success.

I have 0 so far with a 29 mcat and 3.94 gpa.

That stings and probably a good reason to panic a little, but it just means you might have to wait a little longer. I had the same mcat but retook and ended up scoring 7+ points higher. It's not all about stats though, so don't give up. I applied to many schools as well....I hope you applied broadly.

This process is arbitrary (no duh) but today I received an interview invite from a school I added in LATE August (it was a spur of the moment decision). I received the "complete" email this week (my very last and very late "your application is complete" email) and just got an interview invite today…..

In other news, I have not heard from the other 123019312 schools I applied to several weeks ago. Wonderful.

I like the idea of allowing neuroticism for your own reasons. There's enough judging going on out there in the real world to not put it at defcon1 in here too!

I really do agree that a week can change things; panicked last week, I now have II's at 1st choice and state flagship, also awesome. But then the great relief of the first II's switches to hoping for more as a way to improve the odds of acceptance! Cue panic. It really can be never ending.. and a little paralyzing to the rest of life unless put completely out of mind - which for me is rarely possible! Distraction helps.

While there is a lot of talk about LizzyM scores, it doesn't seem there is a lot of weight placed on primary essay or the LORs as tipping factors for II's (by the forum if not in actuality). But since they don't even get LORs until the secondary, it would seem bizarre to think they have less weight than a stats computation. This is why I think it is a crapshoot post secondary (even more so than the secondaries themselves!) They are looking for something... but there is no way you can know what they are, especially if you have good stats which so many on here do.

For example, there are many schools on my list where my stats are both very much above average of the accepted and very much on the mark, but it's cricketville on II's for the majority. And when II's are announced on school specific threads and dates are filling up, it might not still be panic per se, but it sure causes a great deal of anxiety just shy of it! Part of my relieve in getting the II's I have so far is knowing that my LORs/Committee letter was IIW (interview invite worthy)! The schools that I considered falling under a concept of "applying broadly" are all great schools, so maybe not worthy enough? :)

Everyone I have spoken to with a lot of experience here - mentors, docs or similar - keep telling me that it's still very early, so I am trusting that. Otherwise, neurotic wouldn't even come close to how I would be feeling even with an interview. It only takes one, but you still need to get the one. Just saying... it's a flippin' wheel that keeps spinning.

So, I completed my secondaries at 16 schools between July 31-August 15. I have only heard something from two schools- an ii from GW (my alma mater) and a small pool email from MCW. No other emails including rejections/holds. I recently added Tufts and BU on a whim, and I am still somehow waiting on Drexel's secondary. I also applied/still writing secondaries for 5 DO schools, but I have yet to hear anything on that front. With a LizzyM of 71, how nervous should I be getting?

So, I completed my secondaries at 16 schools between July 31-August 15. I have only heard something from two schools- an ii from GW (my alma mater) and a small pool email from MCW. No other emails including rejections/holds. I recently added Tufts and BU on a whim, and I am still somehow waiting on Drexel's secondary. I also applied/still writing secondaries for 5 DO schools, but I have yet to hear anything on that front. With a LizzyM of 71, how nervous should I be getting?

I don't think you should be too nervous assuming you have decent EC's. It's pretty typical to wait at least a month before getting any II's at all.

I'm in a similar situation as you, but applied to 25 schools. Complete around the same time and only 2 IIs, from Jefferson and VCU. My committee letter wasn't received until July 31st, so that was the earliest that I was complete anywhere. No other emails including rejections/holds. My LizzyM is close to yours as well, ~69. I hope we don't have cause for nervousness yet. Still haven't heard from any of my in-state schools.

I'm in a similar situation as you, but applied to 25 schools. Complete around the same time and only 2 IIs, from Jefferson and VCU. No other emails including rejections/holds. My LizzyM is close to yours as well, ~69. I hope we don't have cause for nervousness yet. Still haven't heard from any of my in-state schools.
Did you apply DO?

Did you apply DO?

No, I didn't apply DO. Don't have anything against it, but I have zero experience shadowing/working with DOs. I applied very broadly to MD schools.