2014-2015 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Applying here, did anyone else get an email from them today?

Reactions: 1 user
I received an email from SLU this morning too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email from SLU this morning too.
Ok, it didn't really say much besides what we already knew, right? Seemed a little strange... I guess it's a nice touch?

should i be concerned if i didn't receive an email from them today?

Ok, it didn't really say much besides what we already knew, right? Seemed a little strange... I guess it's a nice touch?

So, I didn't apply here but I got an email this morning, is that a sign I should add them to my list?

Reactions: 1 users
It did seem a little strange, almost like a "hello, please visit our website," but it is nice to know I'm on their mailing list and that they are reaching out.

If you haven't received an email from them yet, I wouldn't worry much.

So, I didn't apply here but I got an email this morning, is that a sign I should add them to my list?

Is it from the MCAT scores maybe? Somehow?

Hm, I suppose it could be, but I'm not really sure. Perhaps it has to do with being submitted and verified already? Do schools only receive information on June 27th or is it possible to access say our names and e-mails after processing is complete? These questions all stem from conjecture, so they could be completely baseless haha. Either way, it felt nice to receive an e-mail :).

Last edited:
Hm, I suppose it could be, but I'm not really sure. Perhaps it has to do with being submitted and verified already? Do schools only receive information on June 27th or is it possible to access say our names and e-mails after processing is complete? These questions all stem from conjecture, so they could be completely baseless haha. Either way, it felt nice to receive an e-mail :).
How can they have this information already? Verified applications only? Strange.

How can they have this information already? Verified applications only? Strange.

Yep, I agree-- I have no idea haha, just making some fairly uneducated guesses that are probably not quite relevant...

I think it will remain a bit of a mystery!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am thinking about applying here, I see its a Jesuit institution and am not sure what that really means.

I'm not verified yet and I haven't gotten anything from them though they're in the list of schools I've applied to.

the email was probably MCAT related because I didn't have this school listed on my primary. considering adding it though

I am thinking about applying here, I see its a Jesuit institution and am not sure what that really means.

its based on jesuit ideals- so basically caring for the whole person and service to others. definitely interesting to read about.

still trying to decide whether to add this school to my list

the email was probably MCAT related because I didn't have this school listed on my primary. considering adding it though

its based on jesuit ideals- so basically caring for the whole person and service to others. definitely interesting to read about.

A few schools I've seen that have this focus are Loyola, SLU, and Creighton. I ended up taking Creighton off my list since my MCAT turned out a little bit higher and fits more with the other two schools, but I definitely like the ideals and am excited to see if SLU shows me some love. St. louis seems like an exciting place to be, but does anyone know if having a higher caliber schools like Wash U in the same town would have any negative effect on a school like SLU?

For people that got it, when did you take the mcat? I was in April.

By Jesuit I am more really concerned with will me not being religious bear any influence with their mission or if theres is anything outwardly religious about it like at loma linda

For people that got it, when did you take the mcat? I was in April.
I took it in January.

By Jesuit I am more really concerned with will me not being religious bear any influence with their mission or if theres is anything outwardly religious about it like at loma linda
Nah in my opinion I wouldn't worry about it. I guess it would be helpful to hear from a current student but my understanding is that the Jesuit tradition is more of an ideology than a religion.
A few schools I've seen that have this focus are Loyola, SLU, and Creighton. I ended up taking Creighton off my list since my MCAT turned out a little bit higher and fits more with the other two schools, but I definitely like the ideals and am excited to see if SLU shows me some love. St. louis seems like an exciting place to be, but does anyone know if having a higher caliber schools like Wash U in the same town would have any negative effect on a school like SLU?
and georgetown. Same question about Wash U

It must be an MCAT thing because I just got another email from another school telling me to apply MD/PhD that is not on my list.

Reactions: 2 users
It must be an MCAT thing because I just got another email from another school telling me to apply MD/PhD that is not on my list.

Haha, no way, I received the same e-mail!

You talking about UIUC MD/PhD ? I wasn't aware schools had access to MCAT scores. Weird - and why now ?

I think before taking the test you can check off a box for their recruiting service. Too bad because I didn't even apply MD/PhD and now I can't since I'm verified. Oh well!

I think before taking the test you can check off a box for their recruiting service. Too bad because I didn't even apply MD/PhD and now I can't since I'm verified. Oh well!

Ah ok I remember now. There was a time I thought about MD/PhD. I just couldn't justify the 5-6 extra years of schooling

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, got the email from UIUC Md/PhD as well. To answer a previous question, also took MCAT in April

I got the SLU and UIUC emails as well, was also contemplating MD/PhD when I took the MCAT (January)

Last edited:
Does anyone have any other information about SLU other than what is on their website?
Do they have global opportunities? What is their research like? Working with the underserved?

I feel like their website is sparse compared to other medical schools...

Ok, I got the secondary on Friday. I can't submit it, though. When I try to complete a section, an error message appears. Am I the only one with this problem?

Can someone please post the essay prompts/character limits for the secondary? I'm sure everyone would appreciate it! Thank you in advance

Can someone please post the essay prompts/character limits for the secondary? I'm sure everyone would appreciate it! Thank you in advance
There is no essay. You have the option to give more information about yourself that you did not include in the primary. Other than that, there is nothing. You can literally complete it in less than five minutes.

anyone else receive the secondary yet? Does SLU screen pre-secondary?

Haven't received it yet, wasn't aware that SLU sent theirs out yet. I'm not worrying about it tho
They haven't released. That person is posting the same thing on quite a few threads and I'm not sure they know what is going on with these secondaries.

They haven't released. That person is posting the same thing on quite a few threads and I'm not sure they know what is going on with these secondaries.
Someone had posted they received a secondary on Friday so I was just checking. Thanks for the correction.

Someone had posted they received a secondary on Friday so I was just checking. Thanks for the correction.
Only a few have been released.

Oh, goody! They finally fixed the secondary.

what do you mean that they fixed the secondary? i havent gotten it.
The reason most of us haven't received one yet is because it was glitchy. I received mine as part of a test batch on Friday. I still couldn't submit it until today due to all the bugs. It looks like it's ready to be sent out to everyone else now.

SLU secondary received today and submitted just now! Verified 6/5. The only problem is that it doesn't mark the application status of my submitted secondary as a green check mark on the home page, even though I definitely received the email confirmation that they have received my submitted secondary. Does anyone have this issue?

SLU secondary received today and submitted just now! Verified 6/5. The only problem is that it doesn't mark the application status of my submitted secondary as a green check mark on the home page, even though I definitely received the email confirmation that they have received my submitted secondary. Does anyone have this issue?

Yeah I have the same thing. On a similar note, I'm like 98% sure that I clicked the box on the application submit page. But after I submitted the supplementary, it isn't checked anymore. Does anybody have that?

Is the optional essay a place to talk about diversity/what you will bring to the community?