2014-2015 Stanford University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone think that putting "Private Practice" would be a bad idea? Are they less likely to accept someone who has doesn't seem to want to work for them later?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone think that putting "Private Practice" would be a bad idea? Are they less likely to accept someone who has doesn't seem to want to work for them later?
No. A bad idea would be picking a canned answer you think they want to hear instead of telling them the truth.

Reactions: 3 users
Perfect answer. Thanks Abstractions, it's really easy to get caught up in the "what if they don't like this" attitude.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
if you haven't had publications, is it fair to say admission is unlikely?

Is there a right response for waiving or not waiving rights to LOR?

I feel that even uber academic programs like Stanford are aware that some of their graduates will end up in private practice. From my understanding, this is also the case with academic residency programs. Back when Uncle Harvey was around (...) ppl on the site would talk about neurosurgery grads from ultra-academic programs that actually ended up in private practice.
Also, some doctors work in both settings during their career span.

Secondary received! Also PMed the prompt. Believe it is the same as last year, or extremely close

I have a question about the scholarly concentration (if any Stanford students current or entering are around / or others know about it). It seems like you have to declare a concentration relatively quickly (beginning year 2). What if I don't have a specific project in mind at this point? There are some areas I am interest in, but I do not want to tie myself down too early and miss out on broader learning. Do you feel that the concentration is limiting? (not that I'm assuming I will get in here...def huge reach, but was starting to think about this when writing secondary)

Last edited:
Got the secondary this morning, hoping for some in state love!

Got and submitted secondary today around 10am today!

Members don't see this ad :)
when are your letters marked as "complete" on the secondary? It says the letter was received by Stanford but is still marked as incomplete

Anyone else get an II just now? I worry that it's a mistake bc when I logged on to schedule an interview, there are no dates available. Also, they said IIs don't go out until August. Was super excited but now I'm just sad lol.

Did you schedule an interview date?

Does anyone know if the ratio of primaries to secondaries for Stanford?

I'm debating whether or not I should apply to Stanford because I've heard that their financial aid isn't very helpful. Can anyone speak on this?

I'm debating whether or not I should apply to Stanford because I've heard that their financial aid isn't very helpful. Can anyone speak on this?

It costs a lot, but I got more than I expected in grants. >$120,000 more than I was offered at HMS (don't get me wrong, still leaves me with >$200,000 in loans). But I think it's worth applying and if you're accepted, dealing with the FA when that bridge needs to be crossed. Stanford has a good enough reputation in FA offerings that it could be worth it.

It costs a lot, but I got more than I expected in grants. >$120,000 more than I was offered at HMS (don't get me wrong, still leaves me with >$200,000 in loans). But I think it's worth applying and if you're accepted, dealing with the FA when that bridge needs to be crossed. Stanford has a good enough reputation in FA offerings that it could be worth it.

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna go ahead and apply and see what happens

Umm silly question but does question 5 pertain to gap years? (years b/w undergrad and intended matriculation)
"Was your enrollment status ever interrupted during your undergraduate or graduate years, not counting summer term?"

Umm silly question but does question 5 pertain to gap years? (years b/w undergrad and intended matriculation)
"Was your enrollment status ever interrupted during your undergraduate or graduate years, not counting summer term?"

no it doesnt

great thanks! just wanted to double check

I know they say they are taking out our name from the survey, but what do you guys think about the questions posed?

Finally submitted. They send a reminder a few days past 2 weeks after they receive your primary I think - it helped spur me to change my priority order for my secondaries lol

Anyone know when they start sending out interview invites?

Anyone know when they start sending out interview invites?

The email confirming that the secondary is complete says that interview invitations are given out August through April. Based solely on the fact that the first II was reported on 8/13/13 last year, my guess would be early/mid-August, but it could really be any time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@PocketAce

Is the Scholarly Concentrations program exactly like an undergraduate major (ie just a set of certain courses you have to take) or does it include research as well (like does it put you in touch with PIs, etc)? Also, what's the amount of contact with people in other disciplines (ie for Bioengineering, would I be "working" with an engineer as well as an MD)?

Thanks in advance!

So...is the first prompt more of a "disadvantaged status" or "extreme obstacles" prompt? Or could I use it to talk about learning experiences that directed me towards medicine that I have not talked about elsewhere? Any insight from current students? Thanks!

Hoping for good things!

Last edited:

Overall FA is very good, but they aren't going to talk to you much until you get accepted, and then they work hard to try to make it is that money isn't an issue for not being able to come. That doesn't mean you won't be able to get a very good deal somewhere else, as Stanford doesn't give out merit scholarships (unless you consider MSTP to kind of be one, but you trade time being a research peon).

Anyway, graduates have some of the lowest debt levels. Partly there are some kids from wealthy families, but lots of people on FA.

I want to be an ER surgeon

I feel bad singling out one poor guy's comment here, and I'm glad that he has a plan/desire for something he wants to do that will help people. This may have been a quick typo or late night post, and I think we all think we know what he wants to do.

However, this is an example of what would be a red flag if I read it in a personal statement. Trauma surgery and emergency medicine are two different medical specialties, with different paths to get there. An emergency medicine division can be part of the department of surgery, but if it is, it's usually almost independent, and the residency programs for general surgery (which you do before a trauma fellowship) and EM are very different, and EM docs don't call themselves surgeons. Also, many people in EM don't like the term ER, and call the place the ED (emergency department), because at an academic center it is much more than a single room.

Anyway, at the risk of being picky, it struck me that it would help if you can get someone in a medical field to go over your personal statements a bit, and make sure the terminology is in line with more mainstream use. I'm not implying that the original author would write that phrasing in a secondary, but someone else might.

Good luck to you all in your applications, and keep chugging away, it's an ultra marathon, not a sprint.

@PocketAce

Is the Scholarly Concentrations program exactly like an undergraduate major (ie just a set of certain courses you have to take) or does it include research as well (like does it put you in touch with PIs, etc)? Also, what's the amount of contact with people in other disciplines (ie for Bioengineering, would I be "working" with an engineer as well as an MD)?

Thanks in advance!

There is a component of a scholarly project you need to complete. Some of these are artistic or creative projects, like a movie or photo essay or even a piece of literature. However, most are clinical or basic science research.

There are some flexible course requirements, which you can satisfy with electives in the medical school (that's really what the empty Weds slots are often used for), or in the University as a whole. The medical school is fully integrated into the University, as they are co-located, so you can take any course in the University as a whole, from French literature to electrical engineering. Classes in the design and business school are popular, but everyone makes their own path.

@PocketAce

Thanks in advance!

<2nd year student> Scholarly Concentrations are a lot less work and more flexible than undergraduate majors. Typically, there are only one or two required courses. You also have to take ~2 additional courses, but you can choose basically any courses you want, as long as you can justify your choice. Med Scholars/Scholarly Concentration are really what you make of them -- if you just want to get them out of the way, they are pretty easy and give you free money (you get money to do a scholarly project). If you are really excited about research/humanities/etc. , this program will give you all the resources you need to gain access to helpful classes, funding, and PIs.

Reactions: 2 users
Man, I have a lot of research experience, but no real meaningful research contributions (just have a poster at my campus's undergraduate research conference) How much does that hurt me?

submitted!! why am i already checking my email for news...

Just sent my beast out in the field! Let the wait begin:rofl:

As did I! Got tired of waiting for that one last LOR to come through so I just paid it. Good luck all!

Man, I have a lot of research experience, but no real meaningful research contributions (just have a poster at my campus's undergraduate research conference) How much does that hurt me?

Honestly? If you're asking about not having a paper/abstract, then probably. The point of having a publication is that it is a measurable unit of production. For better or worse, it is used as a measure of productivity. Then on top of that, the process of getting a paper written, going through the rounds of review, and getting it accepted can be a long travail as well. Once you've gone through that, you know what it's all about and can do more of it.

However, have a research publication is not the same thing as a contribution. The distinct tasks that you did were contributions; if you can work to make them into a coherent story about something you can try to get some opportunities to present them. There are always conferences and symposia looking for poster presentations and even student level talks.

Good luck!