2014 Match Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My list is certified and I feel really confident about my rankings. *fingers crossed*

Side note: How many places did most people end up ranking? Is everyone ranking all of the places they interviewed?

I ranked 4/4. There is only one site I would not be 100% interested in going to but I'd still rather go there than scramble.

Members don't see this ad.

I ranked all the programs I interviewed with, but I liked all of them. Last year, I ranked 3 out of 4 programs. I got really bad vibes with one program last year and kept hearing about residents quitting. Even though I didn't match, I don't regret not ranking them. I heard they lost another resident this year too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never heard back from 2 out of the 8 programs I applied to, which is a bit disappointing. I guess they couldn't be bothered to send me a "hey, we don't want you" email.

I ranked 4/4. There is only one site I would not be 100% interested in going to but I'd still rather go there than scramble.

Do you think it's bad if you got only 4 interviews and thus have only 4 programs to rank? i know some people are ranking 8+ hence the question...

Do you think it's bad if you got only 4 interviews and thus have only 4 programs to rank? i know some people are ranking 8+ hence the question...

No need to compare yourself to others, it sounds dumb and repetitive but it is all about the fit and only takes one. Some people rank 1 and match, some people rank 8 and don't match

I am only ranking 2. Would I feel better if I had 10 to rank? yeah probably but just be confident and trust the match.

Just because you don't have a long rank list doesn't mean you won't match. I ranked 3/3 last year and matched at my #2. One of my co-residents ranked 1/2 and she obviously still matched (she's avoiding the process this year by early committing for next year)

We finalized our candidate list today. Lots of great candidates made it tough to hash out who was where :)

Not true at all. Perhaps individuals only applied to 4 or 5 programs that they were interested in and got 4 interviews out of it? If you Beast every interview you get, it doesn't matter how many you have. Not everyone has to apply to 8 or 10 programs, some of us are just pure, unadulterated Beasts and can be confident applying to a limited number of sites

ok a quick question... I got a pretty generic sounding thank you email/let us knwo if you have last minute questions from a program i interviewed with 3 weeks ago yesterday. Do I respond to the email?

obviously over thinking everything at this point but idk

ok a quick question... I got a pretty generic sounding thank you email/let us knwo if you have last minute questions from a program i interviewed with 3 weeks ago yesterday. Do I respond to the email?

obviously over thinking everything at this point but idk

I generally didn't respond to those emails unless I knew the program was going through major changes and wanted get an update on what was going on. I didn't feel obligated to reply since I had most of my questions answered(?)

I ranked all of my programs.

just changed my rankings 5 minutes ago -_-....being way too indecisive. I'm also ranking all of my programs this year

I'm amazed so many have ranked already! I just did my last interview yesterday. I only have 3 programs to rank but for me that means I'm going to be potentially giving up something I want out of a residency at each potential site... Each program is so different, even though I feel like all would give me great experiences and I would do well at each. I guess I just have to decide what I want... one of the programs I feel is going to rank me as one of their top spots for sure, but doesn't offer a teaching certificate. I guess I could get that some other time though or during a PGY2?

Members don't see this ad :)

Because my PGY-2 specialty interest is so small, there are a VERY limited number of programs out there, so my ranking number is smaller than a lot of PGY-2 applicants with a total number of 2. Mind you, I applied to about 9 places, but I split them up between my top specialty and another specialty that would get me into my preferred specialty with a lot of patience and experience. Ironically, the only interviews I got were for the specialty I wanted so c'est la vie. But to answer your question, no, I don't think it's bad depending on the situation. When I was applying for PGY-1's, I applied to maybe 4 or 5 programs and ended up throwing all my eggs into one basket. I was selected to a new program and took it before the match and the scramble took place. I had a few people in my class who only applied to three places and only ranked one or two. They are very successful residents at those institutions that they ranked. It is very reassuring to rank a lot of programs, but at the same time, during the Match, you're only as good as the program thinks you are.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm amazed so many have ranked already! I just did my last interview yesterday. I only have 3 programs to rank but for me that means I'm going to be potentially giving up something I want out of a residency at each potential site... Each program is so different, even though I feel like all would give me great experiences and I would do well at each. I guess I just have to decide what I want... one of the programs I feel is going to rank me as one of their top spots for sure, but doesn't offer a teaching certificate. I guess I could get that some other time though or during a PGY2?

Awesome! What do you base that feeling on?

I feel the same way about the programs I've ranked. I had to base my ranking largely on which place I felt I could really see myself at, in terms of personality and fit. I know that sounds cheesy and repetitive but it really was how I differentiated between the last two programs on my list.

I feel the same way about the programs I've ranked. I had to base my ranking largely on which place I felt I could really see myself at, in terms of personality and fit. I know that sounds cheesy and repetitive but it really was how I differentiated between the last two programs on my list.
I feel the same way! Back and forth between two programs...large teaching institution and small community hospital...both would be great, but different experiences. What would be better for a PGY2? Would I be overwhelmed at such a big place? Would I learn as much at a small place? Think y0u just have block out all the pros and cons and narrow it down to where you would really "fit" in, as everyone seems to keep saying. It's so hard. Good luck! :)

Hmm, it's hard to explain :p. Part of it is that I feel the residency program director already seems to consider me their resident. But another is that before the interview was even over she was telling me things like "I hope you consider us when ranking", and at one point commented that the difference between me and some of the other candidates they interviewed was "night and day." She also seemed very disappointed when their pharmacy director couldn't have lunch with me -- "it's such a shame, as she's a very bright girl."

As for me, I feel like my places to rank almost couldn't be more different! The first that I already spoke about is at a large community hospital in a rural-type area. She told me there were maybe only 9 clinical pharmacists in that county! It makes me think of "frontier medicine." The next is a county hospital that helps a lot of underserved people but is actually also a large teaching institution--so many students and residents of all types bustling around. The final one is an old old east coast hospital that is decidedly not a teaching institution but one with a lot of heart. These three places also literally span the country, too. I have a very tough choice ahead of me...

Because my PGY-2 specialty interest is so small, there are a VERY limited number of programs out there, so my ranking number is smaller than a lot of PGY-2 applicants with a total number of 2. Mind you, I applied to about 9 places, but I split them up between my top specialty and another specialty that would get me into my preferred specialty with a lot of patience and experience. Ironically, the only interviews I got were for the specialty I wanted so c'est la vie. But to answer your question, no, I don't think it's bad depending on the situation. When I was applying for PGY-1's, I applied to maybe 4 or 5 programs and ended up throwing all my eggs into one basket. I was selected to a new program and took it before the match and the scramble took place. I had a few people in my class who only applied to three places and only ranked one or two. They are very successful residents at those institutions that they ranked. It is very reassuring to rank a lot of programs, but at the same time, during the Match, you're only as good as the program thinks you are.

We might have applied for the same specialty. My desired specialty is extremely small too. I was also debating about combining it with another specialty but after further discussion and comparison of programs, I only pursued my desired area. I received interview at three places, interviewed at all of them, but will only rank two as one of the programs will not meet my goals for my desired future practice. Good luck to everyone!

Good luck to everyone submitting those final rankings today!
Here's hoping Spring brings us all residency spots :)

I'm still stuck on my #1 vs #2 :(

One is a top ranked teaching-academic institution with nationally recognized medicine and pharmacy programs, progressive but naturally shackled(?) with the same challenges of any pharmacy program paired with a strong medical program would encounter: (+) site has certain electives->PGY-2's that I'm potentially interested in, (+) networking, (+++) might be co-ressies with rxlea(???) but (- x999) distance (more the act of moving than living far away, hate moving! :mad:), (-) cost of living ($$$), (-) a mandatory element of the program I'm not entirely thrilled about (outside my interests), and (-) the fact that the residents don't get hired on after completion of the program. Of course resident's get hired on elsewhere, but to remain within area (state) in this job market ... is difficult.

Other is a hybrid teaching/private hospital [rotations would be on teaching service but staffing would have to deal with both], good reputation in the region, very progressive program with very STRONG leadership: (+) room to hire (of course no guarantee), (+/-) would have to move but not to the extreme extent of the other program, (+) would gain practical staffing experience dealing with private practicioners BUT (-) the environment doesn't seem as 'nurturing' as an academic institution, (+/-) has the electives but doesn't have the PGY-2's I am considering, and (+/-/0) everyone keeps telling me to do the other program [location/program/etc]

Both programs are highly respected institutions that offer the electives in which I'm interested in. There's tons of room for growth in both programs but one appears to have more "potential" for long term benefits while the other has more "practicality" for short-medium term endpoints. Both work their residents pretty hard so quality of life isn't really a factor for me.

Okay so you've listed the pros and cons of each. And to you they obviously balance each other out otherwise you would have already ranked them. So at this point the whole "where do you feel is a better fit" comes into play. I'm sure you have thought of this already but it really does help to imagine BEING a resident at either location. Did you see where the residents work? How did you feel in the space? I don't just mean quality of life but based on the type of person you are, which one did you feel more comfortable at with the director/residents/staff etc?

Outside of everything you listed, which place do you think you would be happy to be working in? In one place or another did you get a sense that it would be intense but the environment and people would make it a positive experience?

ETA: I know you mean quality of life in terms of workload but outside of that meaning, quality of life should be a factor in my opinion. I know residency will be hard but some places make it manageable and some make it miserable. Residency doesn't have to = torture.

I'm grateful that I had my rankings certified for a week now. I almost forgot that today was the last day to make changes. I guess when you have a small amount to pick from, you almost know right away how you're going to rank, haha!

One is a top ranked teaching-academic institution with nationally recognized medicine and pharmacy programs, progressive but naturally shackled(?) with the same challenges of any pharmacy program paired with a strong medical program would encounter: (+) site has certain electives->PGY-2's that I'm potentially interested in, (+) networking, (+++) might be co-ressies with rxlea(???) but (- x999) distance (more the act of moving than living far away, hate moving! :mad:), (-) cost of living ($$$), (-) a mandatory element of the program I'm not entirely thrilled about (outside my interests), and (-) the fact that the residents don't get hired on after completion of the program. Of course resident's get hired on elsewhere, but to remain within area (state) in this job market ... is difficult.

Other is a hybrid teaching/private hospital [rotations would be on teaching service but staffing would have to deal with both], good reputation in the region, very progressive program with very STRONG leadership: (+) room to hire (of course no guarantee), (+/-) would have to move but not to the extreme extent of the other program, (+) would gain practical staffing experience dealing with private practicioners BUT (-) the environment doesn't seem as 'nurturing' as an academic institution, (+/-) has the electives but doesn't have the PGY-2's I am considering, and (+/-/0) everyone keeps telling me to do the other program [location/program/etc]

Both programs are highly respected institutions that offer the electives in which I'm interested in. There's tons of room for growth in both programs but one appears to have more "potential" for long term benefits while the other has more "practicality" for short-medium term endpoints. Both work their residents pretty hard so quality of life isn't really a factor for me.
The former will open up many, many doors. If you can handle the cost of living, you should rank them #1. For sure.

My list is certified but I keep going back and forth if I should change it.

The former will open up many, many doors. If you can handle the cost of living, you should rank them #1. For sure.
Cost of living isn't an issue.... maybe. I haven't actually looked at the costs yet. I just hear how $$$$$ it is. Ended up putting it #1, we'll see where the match lands us in 2 weeks.

I'm grateful that I had my rankings certified for a week now. I almost forgot that today was the last day to make changes. I guess when you have a small amount to pick from, you almost know right away how you're going to rank, haha!
Paralysis of choice. Too many to pick from = uncertainty. Different problems to have lol

Cost of living isn't an issue.... maybe. I haven't actually looked at the costs yet. I just hear how $$$$$ it is. Ended up putting it #1, we'll see where the match lands me in 2 weeks.

Paralysis of choice. Too many to pick from = uncertainty. Different problems to have lol
Then rank it #1.

I would think a negative would be having rxlea as a co-resi.

Having the option to pre-match in your PGY2 area of interest is a huge plus in this day and age.

I would think a negative would be having rxlea as a co-resi.

Having the option to pre-match in your PGY2 area of interest is a huge plus in this day and age.

She would outshine all her other coresidents. lol

I'm happy I'm the only resident at my program. :p

Early committing would have been so nice. Now, I get to freak for 2 weeks.

She would outshine all her other coresidents. lol

I'm happy I'm the only resident at my program. :p

Early committing would have been so nice. Now, I get to freak for 2 weeks.

Star resident gets all the attention and extra high expectations

You're a mean one. :cool:
Is it sad that I finished this with "Mr. Grinch" in my head? It's not even close to Christmas. Residency has really gone to my head!

I'm going to assume that you ranked kmoogs place as #1 too. I've been following your journey via Facebook, and since I think I know where said #1 choice is, I think you made a good decision. :)

I realized yesterday that I was more stressed about this Match deal than I thought I was. We're down to two weeks, but I'm not sure if I can handle it, haha!

Is it sad that I finished this with "Mr. Grinch" in my head? It's not even close to Christmas. Residency has really gone to my head!

I'm going to assume that you ranked kmoogs place as #1 too. I've been following your journey via Facebook, and since I think I know where said #1 choice is, I think you made a good decision. :)

I realized yesterday that I was more stressed about this Match deal than I thought I was. We're down to two weeks, but I'm not sure if I can handle it, haha!
Facebook????? Mmmmm.....you'll have to reveal your identity via PM. My Facebook is not public. I also never revealed my #1 :)

Good luck!!!!! It'll all work out the way it's supposed to. I have faith in that.

EDIT: Now I have the Grinch song in my head!!!! lol

Last edited:
Ego stroking starts now?

Looks like it's only PGY-1 ego stroking at this point, none for the P4s.
Straight beast
Red_Ugh_Gif.gif

Facebook????? Mmmmm.....you'll have to reveal your identity via PM. My Facebook is not public. I also never revealed my #1 :)

Good luck!!!!! It'll all work out the way it's supposed to. I have faith in that.

EDIT: Now I have the Grinch song in my head!!!! lol

If you think hard enough (or glance through some of my previous posts around here), you'll figure it out. :)

And I said THINK, haha! I don't know what you picked as your #1, but if it's where I think it is, I have a story to tell you one day. You can always Facebook me when you figure out who I may be….and if not, I'll let you know after Match day. :)

HINT: Female plane pilots are AWESOME.

If you think hard enough (or glance through some of my previous posts around here), you'll figure it out. :)

And I said THINK, haha! I don't know what you picked as your #1, but if it's where I think it is, I have a story to tell you one day. You can always Facebook me when you figure out who I may be….and if not, I'll let you know after Match day. :)

HINT: Female plane pilots are AWESOME.

Why after match? Ranks are submitted, what's done is done.