2015-2016 panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Every time I read about people not getting into the schools they interviewed at in Sept/Oct, I panic a little bit inside..since my top choices were in September :(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I panic hourly...ever since I submitted my applications. I pray to just get 2 IIs from MD and 6 IIs from DO. lolol

I feel extremely lucky with IIs, but as the days tick closer to October 15th, I panic about the reality of how much my life will likely change, and how much I'll have to leave behind.

And then something will remind me that I'm super glad I'm pursuing my giant, unwieldy, impractical dream, and then I panic about October 15th all over again.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel extremely lucky with IIs, but as the days tick closer to October 15th, I panic about the reality of how much my life will likely change, and how much I'll have to leave behind.

And then something will remind me that I'm super glad I'm pursuing my giant, unwieldy, impractical dream, and then I panic about October 15th all over again.
The countdown to October 15th is freaking me out as well. I feel like I had a huge sense of relief when I got offered interviews because I thought: "Oh, great! I made it over the biggest hurdle." Then I did some interviews, and now that I'm sitting here waiting, I'm thinking about the very real possibility that the schools at which I interviewed could waitlist or reject me. Here's hoping mid to late October brings some good news.

That being said, I do realize that I am very fortunate to have gotten interviews at all. For all those in this thread who have not, I'm sending my good luck wishes your way. There are still plenty more IIs to go out, so I hope some of them go to all of you.

Reactions: 6 users
The countdown to October 15th is freaking me out as well. I feel like I had a huge sense of relief when I got offered interviews because I thought: "Oh, great! I made it over the biggest hurdle." Then I did some interviews, and now that I'm sitting here waiting, I'm thinking about the very real possibility that the schools at which I interviewed could waitlist or reject me. Here's hoping mid to late October brings some good news.

That being said, I do realize that I am very fortunate to have gotten interviews at all. For all those in this thread who have not, I'm sending my good luck wishes your way. There are still plenty more IIs to go out, so I hope some of them go to all of you.

Sums up my panic nowadays. At the same time, I feel like I have no right to complain, so I usually try not to say anything. Deep down though, I'm still scared that I may not get in anywhere. Especially when I read posts of people saying that they didn't get into the schools they interviewed in September.. and the 2/3 of the ones I went to in September were my dream schools..

Reactions: 1 users
OK in panic...nice to have this thread...No II's 2 rejections...

sigh, another week passes with no interview invites. Now to wait until monday again

Reactions: 5 users
sigh, another week passes with no interview invites. Now to wait until monday again

You had one in July though right? Was that one from a state school?

I was thinking today, what if I convinced my parents to buy a small apartment in Texas so I can claim Texas residency and apply to Texas schools...........
I was strongly considering getting a transfer to a Texas lab for my company. I just wonder if texans would truly accept me as one of their own after only one year list the interviews? My bro and sis live in Texas and said that they really take care of their own.

Panicking as well...0 IIs, 1 rejection, 1 hold, a bunch of decision pending/no decision made -___-

You had one in July though right? Was that one from a state school?

no that was really wierd, it was Tulane. It came literally 8 days after I sent in the secondary.

no that was really wierd, it was Tulane. It came literally 8 days after I sent in the secondary.

very odd

I mean if you did well and got into Tulane, then you are in a really good spot.

very odd

I mean if you did well and got into Tulane, then you are in a really good spot.

Heh it came so fast, I thought my application must be really strong for them to give me an interview so fast. surely more interviews will come.... But yeah, if I make it, it will be great. lots riding on this interview so hoping that it goes well

Members don't see this ad :)
Heh it came so fast, I thought my application must be really strong for them to give me an interview so fast. surely more interviews will come.... But yeah, if I make it, it will be great. lots riding on this interview so hoping that it goes well

Oh, I thought you already had the interview?

Same happened to me too, quick II. Waiting on rest. Gave me so much excitement. Ahh I remember the day like it was yesterday. I have lived on the edge of insanity since. Every time I hear that iPhone email tone I go nuts

Oh, I thought you already had the interview?

heh no, its in three weeks.

Same happened to me too, quick II. Waiting on rest. Gave me so much excitement. Ahh I remember the day like it was yesterday. I have lived on the edge of insanity since. Every time I hear that iPhone email tone I go nuts

yeah, got my hopes up so much. I thought med schools must think me some kind of great catch and that surely I'll have interview invites rolling in the door. I remember the moment reading the invite email too. Its crazy that was two months ago D:

Panic free.

Positive thinking is everything!

Yea its mostly the ridiculously high LizzyM posters that say "everything is gonna be alright."

Yea everything is gonna be alright for them. Schools will fight each other to get them in their doors. Everybody else has to fight each other to get to the school's doors.

Reactions: 1 users
Only time I panic is when I come on here and see II's being given out like candy on Halloween to what feels like everyone but me. Not panicking yet, but will start to if I continue to have radio silence into mid/late October.

Reactions: 4 users

I was trying to show you that you don't need awesome stats to get interviews. Resist the urge to dive into a pit of hopelessness. It's as easy as signing out of here for a while.

I was trying to show you that you don't need awesome stats to get interviews. Resist the urge to dive into a pit of hopelessness. It's as easy as signing out of here for a while.

For you.

Why do I get the feeling this thread is on the brink of turning into one of those threads.

Why do I get the feeling this thread is on the brink of turning into one of those threads.

latest

Me during multiple threads on here lately.

Reactions: 2 users

What is the deal with October 15th? Is that the earliest date acceptances can go out? I missed that part of my interview.

What is the deal with October 15th? Is that the earliest date acceptances can go out? I missed that part of my interview.

It's judgement day for those who have had MD interviews. For those with no MD interviews, it's just another day in the "Cycle."

Bane is like my favorite villain. I've posted everything from his black gate speech to that same video on this forum. Ya I'm a superhero movie nerd. :eek::p

So I've had two MD II... but radio silence (save for 2 rejections) for about three weeks... can I panic now? I've been complete since early August. :nailbiting:

So I've had two MD II... but radio silence (save for 2 rejections) for about three weeks... can I panic now? I've been complete since early August. :nailbiting:

how are the out of interview acceptance rates for those two md schools? If they suck, probably panic.

Man, no news from most of my schools and the ones that responsed are mostly holds, rejections in disguise. At this point, I'll be happy with rejections. At least I'll be able to move on with my life and try again in the future.

I have LizzyM of 73 my fear is that ill get into a DO school but not an MD and have to opt to going to DO school even tho my mcat score makes me competitive at most schools. not that theres anything wrong with DO but I just prefer MD

how are the out of interview acceptance rates for those two md schools? If they suck, probably panic.

I won't know until late October for one and December for the other. I ended up adding 10 more lower-tier schools and finished applying to those early September. I'm scared something went wrong with my application... I wasn't expecting so much silence :(

Wait, I misread your post. One is an in-state school with ~45% acceptance and the other is a private school with ~35% acceptance after interview.

I have LizzyM of 73 my fear is that ill get into a DO school but not an MD and have to opt to going to DO school even tho my mcat score makes me competitive at most schools. not that theres anything wrong with DO but I just prefer MD

While LizzyM is certainly a helpful metric in determining how competitive your application may be, there are a plethora of other variables that are at play in your application (research, letters, essays, leadership positions, etc).

73 is enough to be competitive at MD and DO, but if osteopathic medicine is just your backup plan, there are thousands of students who genuinely want to practice it and might not get that chance. There have been many people who take another year to apply MD because they don't feel DO is for them, and get in after a successful reapplication. Just some food for thought. Best of luck. This is a panic thread, though. We're allowed to panic.

I have the same fear which is why I'm still debating if I want to apply DO

While LizzyM is certainly a helpful metric in determining how competitive your application may be, there are a plethora of other variables that are at play in your application (research, letters, essays, leadership positions, etc).

73 is enough to be competitive at MD and DO, but if osteopathic medicine is just your backup plan, there are thousands of students who genuinely want to practice it and might not get that chance. There have been many people who take another year to apply MD because they don't feel DO is for them, and get in after a successful reapplication. Just some food for thought. Best of luck. This is a panic thread, though. We're allowed to panic.

Try using the @WedgeDawg Applicant Rating System to gauge your chances and your app quality. It's not perfect but it is very reliable

Take a chill pill everybody. It's going to be okay.
xanax1mg.jpg

I have the same fear which is why I'm still debating if I want to apply DO

Same, I'm holding out until November when I should hear back from my interviews before I decide to toss in my hat to the DO application cycle.

Same, I'm holding out until November when I should hear back from my interviews before I decide to toss in my hat to the DO application cycle.

Not applying DO this time around, will next cycle if this one does not yield any results. The thought of having to do all this over again makes me want to load up a Pez dispenser with xanax and start chompin'.

Reactions: 5 users
Not applying DO this time around, will next cycle if this one does not yield any results. The thought of having to do all this over again makes me want to load up a Pez dispenser with xanax and start chompin'.

Exactly the same, although hopefully this cycle yields good results!

Same here, except it'd be my third round. Still sitting on a single II and wondering if I did something wrong.

Same here, except it'd be my third round. Still sitting on a single II and wondering if I did something wrong.

If you got an II, the red flags can't be that glaring

Eh, thats what I thought too. But this cycle is making apparent how large of an emphasis MD schools place on the MCAT.