2015-2016 panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I join in? So far its 6 II's and 6 rejections (5 outright, 1 WL that became a rejection). Im more afraid than panicked. I dont know if I can go through all of this again.
Oh God those 6 IIs turned into 6 rejections? How did that WL become a rejection so quickly? Do you have any more IIs coming up?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My fellow complete-in-July panickers,
I have been complete since mid July through early August at all of my schools, and I have 3 IIs, 2 rejections, and a whole lot of silence from 15 other schools.
When I applied, I felt like I had a relatively strong app (high MCAT, good GPA from a competitive school, a publication, etc).
So here is my thinking:
I feel like the schools don't really care so much when we were complete. They just look at our files in the context of all the files in front of them. Maybe in August-October, all the other files were stronger than ours, but that doesn't mean there won't be a day when our files make it to the top too. Obviously we won't hear from all of our remaining schools, and some may have already put us in the to-be-rejected pile. But if we made it this long at these schools (many of whom have been handing out rejections left and right), then we must have something keeping us in the running.
I know someone who heard from zero schools until November and ended up with 5 acceptances. This process is too random to drive yourself crazy now.
Chins up, future docs. We have a long road ahead.

Reactions: 10 users
Wowowowow I just got my first II, guys. I've been complete since mid-August, LizzyM ~65, and I was ready to give up all hope. Please keep your chin up! This process is so humbling, but everything happens for a reason. I am so grateful and hope the best for us all this cycle.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wowowowow I just got my first II, guys. I've been complete since mid-August, LizzyM ~65, and I was ready to give up all hope. Please keep your chin up! This process is so humbling, but everything happens for a reason. I am so grateful and hope the best for us all this cycle.

Congratz! I hope the rest of us will get some love soon too :)

Congrats! And I'm obsessed with your avatar. ;)

Thanks guys!! I hope everyone will get some good news soon. And thank you, I'm obsessed w/ Hello Kidney, also :)

Reactions: 3 users
Just received 2 more rejections. Fun times. 13 Schools in Limbo now.

Terrified of rejections right now.....
I'm at 4/23 for rejections... One more painful than the rest.
Nada for the others. It was a month between my two last rejections. I'd happily speed that up if I could get an II thrown in there... Happily holidays, right? :)

Nada for the others. It was a month between my two last rejections. I'd happily speed that up if I could get an II thrown in there... Happily holidays, right? :)

New Years present?

rooting for you @NonTrad16 I dont know what schools you applied to but there is a alot of life left to this cycle..

I wish I would get rejections if they are going to reject me anyways so that I can stop checking their school's thread on sdn.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
couldn't have said it better...this process is going to be a humbling one. best of luck y'all!

problem is that II's are not acceptances.
We've seen 6 II's become 6 rejections, anything can happen and I will be worrying and praying until I get into one school.
So yeah I'm still kind of anxious.

Reactions: 1 users
problem is that II's are not acceptances.
We've seen 6 II's become 6 rejections, anything can happen and I will be worrying and praying until I get into one school.
So yeah I'm still kind of anxious.
There with you buddy. With a super low LizzyM, I'm afraid my 6 schools will take a second look at me and go, meh, nahhh.

2 IIs that turned into 2 waitlists! OMG I CAN'T GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN. please please please please please please please let me off the waitlist!

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like I applied to all the wrong schools.... Or I made a mistake in applying in the first place.

I thought I applied to schools where I would have some decent chance. Those that take in Canadians. I have a 3.6. A 31 Mcat (which is OK, not good, but ok). OK volunteering and ECs....

Only one schools interviewed me and they threw me on the waitlist. I've been put on hold at other schools (DO and MD), rejected (MD), or silence (1 DO and a few MD).

I went in with high confidence, and now I have none. I am just assuming I am not gonna get in.

Oh well...

Didnt think id find myself here with 5 II. But now im staring at two post II rejections and a waitlist and im at a total loss for words. Panicked doesnt even begin to describe how im feeling right now.

I feel like i blew it and my chances are over. I still have two schools left to hear from but i dont have much confidence in that at all. Already working at Plan B. :/ cant believe how far ive fallen.

Didnt think id find myself here with 5 II. But now im staring at two post II rejections and a waitlist and im at a total loss for words. Panicked doesnt even begin to describe how im feeling right now.

I feel like i blew it and my chances are over. I still have two schools left to hear from but i dont have much confidence in that at all. Already working at Plan B. :/ cant believe how far ive fallen.

Aw I'm sorry @ciestar , this process sucks and it's even harder seeing other people getting accepted and wondering what they're doing right that you're not. I haven't gotten an MD acceptance right now either and am super worried I'm doing something wrong, especially since I've gotten a decent # of interviews. It's hard not to panic and freak out about hearing back from your last 2, I'm also waiting to hear back and the closer it gets to their decision date, the more I'm convinced I messed up somewhere. =/ Hang in there! We'll make it to the other side.

Oh god, that's awful. I feel like crying for you. But do not give up
Remember you only need 1. 1 to get in.

Dont give up just yet. Did you apply DO? Were any of those interviews from DO schools?

I got two interview invites. One turned into a waitlist and the other is coming up on january. I better not screw this up :arghh:

first (and only) post-II probably this week... panicking!

Wasnt able to without a DO letter.
Hey man do some research and you can find schools that don't need a do letter. It honestly might not be to late to try depending on your stats.

Woke up from horrible nightmares about studying for the MCAT and bombing all my practice exams...like really brain? Catch up...that was like 6 months ago...

Reactions: 7 users
5 II, 4 WL :bang:
Hearing back from the 5th school in January. Hopefully the new year will bring some better luck for us all!

Applied to 43 schools. done with secondaries for all schools by mid August.

1 II in october turned into a waitlist.
22 rejections
17 schools left to hear back from

I'm soo worried and saddened right now. Oh well.

My first II invite was 12/10, many more are silent. 65 LizzyM. All it takes is 1 to get in... so YES, they are still looking at you!

Where has this thread been all my life? For the past four months or so, I've been in varying degrees of a state of panic.

Reactions: 5 users
Applied to 43 schools. done with secondaries for all schools by mid August.

1 II in october turned into a waitlist.
22 rejections
17 schools left to hear back from

I'm soo worried and saddened right now. Oh well.

Sounds like me. I also completed all of my secondaries by mid-August.

1 II in August (for Nov) turned into a waitlist.
17 rejections.
2 pre-interview holds.
15 schools (plus the 2 holds) left to hear back from.

I'm not really sure what I will do if I don't get in this cycle -- I guess I'd probably end up reapplying to a bunch of a lower-tier schools that I haven't yet applied to and hope for a chance somewhere. My MCAT is brand-new (June 2015) and very good (513--11,10,14,10). I have a very solid application. I could add a little more shadowing and volunteering (which I am already doing), but other than that, there isn't much room for improvement. The biggest flaw on my application is a low overall undergrad GPA (even though senior year was good) -- but I have a 3.97 masters GPA (completed in 2014) -- which should, in theory, alleviate any concerns about my future academic performance.

Last edited:
Sounds like me. I also completed all of my secondaries by mid-August.

1 II in August (for Nov) turned into a waitlist.
17 rejections.
2 pre-interview holds.
15 schools (plus the 2 holds) left to hear back from.

I'm not really sure what I will do if I don't get in this cycle -- I guess I'd probably end up reapplying to a bunch of a lower-tier schools that I haven't yet applied to and hope for a chance somewhere. My MCAT is brand-new (June 2015) and very good (513--11,10,14,10). I have a very solid application. I could add a little more shadowing and volunteering (which I am already doing), but other than that, there isn't much room for improvement. The biggest flaw on my application is a low overall undergrad GPA (even though senior year as good) -- but I have a 3.97 masters GPA (completed in 2014) -- which should, in theory, alleviate any concerns about my future academic performance.

Similar boat, except I can't apply this coming cycle again cause my MCAT was from March 2014 unfortunately. I might take up prayer for all of us haha!

Similar boat, except I can't apply this coming cycle again cause my MCAT was from March 2014 unfortunately. I might take up prayer for all of us haha!

I've been in that situation before. I had a 2010 MCAT that expired ...and an old-format Jan 2015 MCAT (11,7,12) where I struggled with the verbal section. Thankfully I fixed the verbal on the new exam, in addition to bumping up my bio to a 14 and adding the new section.

3rd-time applicant turning 30 this year -- all prayers welcome. Hopefully we can get in this cycle!! :D

Last edited:
Ok, I'm legit panicking over choosing between schools (my choices have wildly different pros and cons), moving (because moving is terrible, especially when you're doing it alone, and breaking up with someone you really like because they can't move with you), and especially, especially whether this was all a huge mistake. Maybe I'm really a giant slacker? Maybe I just want to lie on my back in a field of dandelions for the rest of my life and think about clouds? I think I DO want to do that. I am GOOD at doing that. I am not very good at: shift work, navigating bureaucracy, and disrupted sleep schedules. But then I think, hell, NOBODY is very good at those things. So the plan is to, idk, get in there, get the tools, and carve out a niche that's meaningful and interesting? What if I can't do that? What if they TOSS ME DOWN A WELL??

...Thank you for your patience with me, Panic Thread. :(

Reactions: 7 users
because moving is terrible, especially when you're doing it alone, and breaking up with someone you really like because they can't move with you

The worst. Sending good thoughts your way.

Ok, I'm legit panicking over choosing between schools (my choices have wildly different pros and cons), moving (because moving is terrible, especially when you're doing it alone, and breaking up with someone you really like because they can't move with you), and especially, especially whether this was all a huge mistake. Maybe I'm really a giant slacker? Maybe I just want to lie on my back in a field of dandelions for the rest of my life and think about clouds? I think I DO want to do that. I am GOOD at doing that. I am not very good at: shift work, navigating bureaucracy, and disrupted sleep schedules. But then I think, hell, NOBODY is very good at those things. So the plan is to, idk, get in there, get the tools, and carve out a niche that's meaningful and interesting? What if I can't do that? What if they TOSS ME DOWN A WELL??

I'm with you there, except he's dragging his feet in deciding whether or not he'll move...:cryi:

I'm with you there, except he's dragging his feet in deciding whether or not he'll move...:cryi:
God, and you try not to take it personally because obviously this is a very big decision, but it's hard to not let it make you a little insecure, which is unattractive, which makes you feel like it IS personal and...
Okay I'm talking about me. By you I mean me.

I'm probably never gonna get to hold hands with someone who loves me again, is what I'm trying to say.

God, and you try not to take it personally because obviously this is a very big decision, but it's hard to not let it make you a little insecure, which is unattractive, which makes you feel like it IS personal and...
Okay I'm talking about me. By you I mean me.

I'm probably never gonna get to hold hands with someone who loves me again, is what I'm trying to say.
Hahah I'm totally resonating with all of that. He also wants to go to grad school in the same geographical area sometime soon, but he says he wants to "figure all that out independently." WHY DON'T YOU LAHV MEEEE lol. It's been a messy year. And then I start to think about biological clocks and residency and #foreveralone and and....

Hahah I'm totally resonating with all of that. He also wants to go to grad school in the same geographical area sometime soon, but he says he wants to "figure all that out independently." WHY DON'T YOU LAHV MEEEE lol. It's been a messy year. And then I start to think about biological clocks and residency and #foreveralone and and....
Oh yeah, I'm right there. Don't worry, we can just be in love with our careers! We probably won't wither into dry, puckered, joyless crones who only care about money and power.

:(

Oh my God, are you me? I feel exactly the same way. I just want to sit at home and watch SpongeBob for the rest of my life.

Reactions: 8 users
Oh my God, are you me? I feel exactly the same way. I just want to sit at home and watch SpongeBob for the rest of my life.
I'm watching old Dr. Who episodes. I'm freaking out about moving to a new city, with no friends or family within 4 hours. Time to grow up, but I DON"T WANT TO GROW UP. Make room on the couch for me to watch SpongeBob with you!!

I'm watching old Dr. Who episodes. I'm freaking out about moving to a new city, with no friends or family within 4 hours. Time to grow up, but I DON"T WANT TO GROW UP. Make room on the couch for me to watch SpongeBob with you!!

I'm especially freaking out about the moving part, I hate change and I'm not super great at making new friends. My first year at undergrad was miserable, and I am so afraid that the first year of med school will be the same way.
But of course, all are welcome to sit on the couch and watch SpongeBob with me for the rest of our lives!

When I moved to California for graduate school I didn't know anyone and cried every day for about 4 months.

BUT then my life got awesome and I fell in love with new friends and places. So... As long as you are prepared for a crappy beginning, you'll be great.

Now I've found myself crying at the prospect of having to leave California! Life is funny.

Reactions: 4 users
I love change. Sitting in one area for too long gives me the blahs (man, I must be a freak).

I am, however, not looking forward to cleaning out my apartment after six years of accumulating stuff here. Just the thought of cleaning and boxes and cleaning and boxes and more cleaning...argh.

Reactions: 4 users
You guys have the right idea. I just finished bingewatching Making a Murderer and the whole time I was marveling at how chill everyone was while facing life imprisonment for rape, torture, dismemberment, and murder.

Such emotional stability, so impressive. Why can't I be like that?

Reactions: 5 users
You guys have the right idea. I just finished bingewatching Making a Murderer and the whole time I was marveling at how chill everyone was while facing life imprisonment for rape, torture, dismemberment, and murder.

Such emotional stability, so impressive. Why can't I be like that?

Lol I was talking to someone on Yik Yak who was about to go to jail for 18 months and he was so "whatever" about it and I was like HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY BE OKAY WITH THIS, YOUR LIFE IS LIKE OVER!