2015-2016 panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
technically yes. practically, november is pretty late

thanks for clearing that up for me.

Members don't see this ad.

technically yes. practically, november is pretty late

I think you need to consider that in relation to when your apps were submitted. If you submitted, for example, mostly in September, I think it's reasonable that most of your IIs won't come until November and beyond. (At least this is what I've been trying to tell myself... :p)

I think you need to consider that in relation to when your apps were submitted. If you submitted, for example, mostly in September, I think it's reasonable that most of your IIs won't come until November and beyond. (At least this is what I've been trying to tell myself... :p)
Who are we kidding? We don't know a damn thing. We may as well speculate about how the water on Mars tastes.

But by golly we will be doctors some day, no matter what these adcoms have to say about it. (kind of)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Logically, the best way of gauging whether your app has been reviewed is by whether people on SDN post IIs or rejections from similar or later time periods. If a bunch of rejections are reported from people who submitted their app a month before yours, you probably haven't been reviewed yet.

Logically, the best way of gauging whether your app has been reviewed is by whether people on SDN post IIs or rejections from similar or later time periods. If a bunch of rejections are reported from people who submitted their app a month before yours, you probably haven't been reviewed yet.

What if people who submitted during or after you but were rejected already? Is that good or bad news?

Reactions: 1 user
Well I think November is subjective. If you submitted/were complete July/mid-August then November is getting late. But as someone who was complete between 9/15-9/20 at all schools it's only been 6 weeks... Which isn't a very long time. Once I hit 10-12 weeks and don't hear anything I'll be nervous

Honestly, I think this type of thinking is just discouraging if you go about it the wrong way. Yes, you're right, if people who were complete after you have gotten an II or gotten rejected, your app has probably been looked at (but not always, schools don't always go in order). But so many people assume this is a silent rejection, which is so false. Maybe the person complete in September who got an II just had something the school really wanted or liked, that the person complete in July didn't have. But that doesn't mean that the person complete in July might not still get an II!

oh man

I just got a call from my undergrad's School of Medicine. I figured it was an interview invite and my hopes immediately rose because I only had one thus far.

They asked me for an updated address, and asked me how I liked what I was doing now, and then they started talking about fundraising. It was a damn fundraising request, not a II. They do this via email all of the time but I didn't think they'd stoop so low as to call me.

I already gave you the application fee and would be happy to give you tuition, but why would I give money to a school that has shown zero interest in me

oh man

I just got a call from my undergrad's School of Medicine. I figured it was an interview invite and my hopes immediately rose because I only had one thus far.

They asked me for an updated address, and asked me how I liked what I was doing now, and then they started talking about fundraising. It was a damn fundraising request, not a II. They do this via email all of the time but I didn't think they'd stoop so low as to call me.

I already gave you the application fee and would be happy to give you tuition, but why would I give money to a school that has shown zero interest in me

Dish out 50K in donations and maybe you will get an II?

Now I am starting to panic about the financial part of med school. I don't know anything about money :arghh:
I don't know what I will do if I end up having to choose between the school I've already been accepted to ($138,000 for four years, so like maybe 50k or less in loans) and a more expensive school that I really want to go to ($300,000+ for four years). Why can't I be rich.

Reactions: 1 users
Now I am starting to panic about the financial part of med school. I don't know anything about money :arghh:
I don't know what I will do if I end up having to choose between the school I've already been accepted to ($138,000 for four years, so like maybe 50k or less in loans) and a more expensive school that I really want to go to ($300,000+ for four years). Why can't I be rich.
Not exactly what you're looking for but if you want to learn about personal finance, this is amazing:

reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3quejw/whats_scarier_than_halloween_being_financially/

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
138k (cost)-50k (loans)=88k (money in da bank?)

Are you telling me you've got 88k+ lying around and you aren't rich?

Not related to medicine but my car was broken into last night. Window smashed but nothing stolen and not too much interior damage. Definitely panicked for an hour or so though! Happy Halloween? -_-

138k (cost)-50k (loans)=88k (money in da bank?)

Are you telling me you've got 88k+ lying around and you aren't rich?

I think she's saying 138k over 4 years so 50k in loans per year

Sorry, should have clarified. My Grandfather passed away this year and left me around $60,000 to help pay for med school. He also left my sister $60,000 but she doesn't need it right now so I will probably end up borrowing some of it and paying her back later.
My immediate family is well-off but not rich enough to help me pay for med school :p When I say I wanna be rich, I mean I wanna be Gossip Girl rich hahaha

Not related to medicine but my car was broken into last night. Window smashed but nothing stolen and not too much interior damage. Definitely panicked for an hour or so though! Happy Halloween? -_-

sorry to hear that, hope you have good insurance coverage on this type of incident.

After rain comes fair weather!

Oh jeez, that stinks

Did you have a fun Halloween, minus that?

Sorry, should have clarified. My Grandfather passed away this year and left me around $60,000 to help pay for med school. He also left my sister $60,000 but she doesn't need it right now so I will probably end up borrowing some of it and paying her back later.
My immediate family is well-off but not rich enough to help me pay for med school :p When I say I wanna be rich, I mean I wanna be Gossip Girl rich hahaha

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandfather :(

I wonder if it would be wise to invest the money while you're in med school though instead of using it to pay out of pocket. I invested some money in stocks when I was like 11 and I've already quadrupled my money!

There was a thread about someone who paid off their loans in 5 years

Ok its Monday yet again!! Its November!! I think its a good week for some II's!!

Reactions: 10 users
Did someone just complain about "only" receiving 60k (+ additional no interest loan) in cash for help paying medical school? I'm not ready to return to this world.

Reactions: 2 users
sorry to hear that, hope you have good insurance coverage on this type of incident.

After rain comes fair weather!

Let's hope! Yeah my insurance saved me and has handled the process well.

Oh jeez, that stinks

Did you have a fun Halloween, minus that?

Yeah Halloween was pretty great otherwise :) how about you?

Let's hope! Yeah my insurance saved me and has handled the process well.

Yeah Halloween was pretty great otherwise :) how about you?

Well good! What did you dress up as?
And it was fun. A bunch of my college friends and I did a bar crawl in boston which was really fun!

November woo. Can barely walk after yesterday's marathon but at least I can update some schools now

Hoping for some love in November! Notice me med schools!

That's awesome, I just moved from Boston - lived there for seven years, fun city! My gf and I went as some characters from mad max on Friday, and I wore my hockey gear on Saturday lol

What part of Boston were you from?

I'm a bit south but all of my college friends live in Brighton right next to St. Elizabeth's

I've been about 7 weeks complete and was thinking about sending an update to all schools that allow pre-interview updates.

Do these warrant an update?
1. Promoted to supervisor at my catering job that I worked throughout college
2. Began volunteering for a hospice organization (inpatient center and at patient's homes)
3. 1st author publications (IF MY PI EVER GETS BACK TO ME - most frustrating thing ever)

Do you also add what you have been continuing? Like that I am still scribing full-time, auditing Anatomy and Physiology.. etc?

What part of Boston were you from?

I'm a bit south but all of my college friends live in Brighton right next to St. Elizabeth's
Lived all over! Kenmore/Fenway, Brighton/Allston, Cambridge! Great area and looks like I may be going back for med school!

Lived all over! Kenmore/Fenway, Brighton/Allston, Cambridge! Great area and looks like I may be going back for med school!

All awesome places by the way!

And yeah I saw your post? Accepted to Tufts? CONGRATSSS

Wake me up when November ends

So LizzyM says that if you dont have an Interview by Thanksgiving, its time to reconsider options.

But what about those of us who got IIs from very low yield schools?

I got 2 MD II's so far and one of them has a 3 percent acceptance rate for applicants of my category lol. The other one runs its admissions very weird compared to most other medical schools in the country... so yea...... Not looking too good for the MD cycle right now.

So LizzyM says that if you dont have an Interview by Thanksgiving, its time to reconsider options.

But what about those of us who got IIs from very low yield schools?

I got 2 MD II's so far and one of them has a 3 percent acceptance rate for applicants of my category lol. The other one runs its admissions very weird compared to most other medical schools in the country... so yea...... Not looking too good for the MD cycle right now.

I know that she has posted this, but is this in the context of being complete in July/August?

If it is, I would just be careful because you're about to send a lot of people into even worse panic mode haha

I know that she has posted this, but is this in the context of being complete in July/August?

If it is, I would just be careful because you're about to send a lot of people into even worse panic mode haha

This is pretty much in the context of applying in July/August.

As to the 2nd part of your comment, I think beating around the bush is worse than telling people the cold hard truth.

I've come to terms with my MD cycle and realized I will have to fight an extreme uphill battle as a DO student to match into anything that isnt Primary Care. It is what it is.

Hm, so are you saying that schools don't notify you if you've been reviewed and put on hold?

I was complete early to late August at all my schools, had 3 interviews early, and now haven't gotten any II's for past couple months

As to the 2nd part of your comment, I think beating around the bush is worse than telling people the cold hard truth.

I've come to terms with my MD cycle and realized I will have to fight an extreme uphill battle as a DO student to match into anything that isnt Primary Care. It is what it is.
I'm holding to the idea that this year has schools delayed. So "if you don't have II's by Thanksgiving..." can maybe have some additional leeway due to the season and holidays. That's what I'm telling myself at least. This has been a sinkhole of a year if I'm wrong...

I'm holding to the idea that this year has schools delayed. So "if you don't have II's by Thanksgiving..." can maybe have some additional leeway due to the season and holidays. That's what I'm telling myself at least. This has been a sinkhole of a year if I'm wrong...

Indeed. Well, I've mentally prepared myself for no positive results from the AMCAS application. That doesnt mean that I feel great about it. I feel pretty awful about it just like the rest of you.

@Gandyy you'll get into one of the two. I am curious as to how you got that 3% number for that one school though. Have you already interviewed at those 2 schools or are they coming up?

Indeed. Well, I've mentally prepared myself for no positive results from the AMCAS application.
Haha, fair enough, but my DO apps have yielded even more silence (as in, no rejections, but no acknowledgment I'm alive). I can't handle thinking about another year of this, since I'll be relocating regardless and doing that twice in 2 years is less than ideal...

I am all for the truth, trust me!

I am just saying, people complete in September/Early October might see this and freak out when it is perfectly possible they might not be reviewed until Thanksgiving/early Decemeber!

And don't come to terms with your cycle yet! Don't lose hope, because when you least expect it you will be getting good news, I'm sure :)

@Gandyy you'll get into one of the two. I am curious as to how you got that 3% number for that one school though. Have you already interviewed at those 2 schools or are they coming up?

Eh Im not keeping my hopes up. I've already interviewed at both. Got waitlisted there (Very low chance of getting in there as there are only 20 spots from 72 interviewees lol), and the other one I have no clue about.

I knew being complete in mid-September was going to result in no notifications until much later, but reading these past few posts caused my anxiety to spike. lol

Maybe I should use this downtime to work on my issues... o_O

I was complete on 9/14:9/15 when my LOR was uploaded and I'm not anxious quite yet. Maybe in December I will be though!

Can I join in? So far its 6 II's and 6 rejections (5 outright, 1 WL that became a rejection). Im more afraid than panicked. I dont know if I can go through all of this again.

Can I join in? So far its 6 II's and 6 rejections (5 outright, 1 WL that became a rejection). Im more afraid than panicked. I dont know if I can go through all of this again.

Oh my, are those rejections post interview or just rejections pre interview from other schools?