2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm embarrassed to say I have been stalking FB B/S/T boards to relieve anxiety. It's not working.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm embarrassed to say I have been stalking FB B/S/T boards to relieve anxiety. It's not working.
What are these boards? Facebook?

Not to worry, I'm sure this week still has a lot of good news in store!

What are these boards? Facebook?

Not to worry, I'm sure this week still has a lot of good news in store!
Facebook buy/sell/trade - my current interests are cloth diapers and baby blankets. Insert embarrassed face here.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've started selling things on eBay like a mad woman.
Partly in the optimistic hope that I'll need to downsize, partly to distract myself.
Purging is good for the soul.

My BF says he's not moving my books ever again, so I sort of *have* to unload some. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Partly in the optimistic hope that I'll need to downsize, partly to distract myself.

My BF says he's not moving my books ever again, so I sort of *have* to unload some. :D
Yes! I have been selling a lot on eBay as well. We are becoming minimalist for a variety of reasons. Started about a month ago and still going strong.

Interview invite this morning for Rosalind Franklin! First of the season! Don't give up hope guys!

Reactions: 11 users

I went from a 3 bedroom apt with my kids to a 125sqft sleeper room on campus last January. Sold/donated/gave away tons of stuff; at one point I could fit everything I owned in my 4Runner. Most liberating thing I have ever done with the exception of going back to school.

I like how non-trads freely discuss coping skills.
:)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just a clotheshorse it's pretty bad actually. I pretty much thrift most of it so it's all good. I want to pick up a couple more formal shirts because most of my shirts are button down collars which won't work for interviews. I'm also looking forward to picking up my suit from alterations!

As far as coping strategies... Working out is high on my list. I went a bit too hard last night and my back is telling me all about it now though!

Oh yeah...fairly certain i pulled something two days ago while running. It made me feel pretty old. Working out is my major coping mechanism. Along with shopping, though that seems to get me in more trouble.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. Though I gained 15 lbs since I started working out again and don't fit into many of my clothes anymore. Oops...

And I received my first rejection - U of Washington declined to offer me a secondary. I thought I fit some of the criteria they looked for in OOR candidates, but I guess it wasn't enough. Oh well, I have been lucky enough to receive interviews elsewhere. I guess its one less thread to stalk.

I need to go workout. I went with coworkers to a hofbrau for lunch today and all that meat and potatoes is making me lethargic.

Working out is my main coping mechanism too, even wrote about it on some secondaries lol the more stress the more I workout. Needless to say I've been lifting 5-6 days a week these past few months.

Also looking forward to going suit shopping! Woo!

Working out is my main coping mechanism too, even wrote about it on some secondaries lol the more stress the more I workout. Needless to say I've been lifting 5-6 days a week these past few months.

Also looking forward to going suit shopping! Woo!

Yeah, I just need to go a bit easier since I've had 2 back surgeries and want to avoid having a fusion.

I'm currently listening to disclosure and trying to make big pushes on a few studies that I have waiting to be written up and/or submitted. I'm planning on spending as much time as possible on that stuff. Seriously, I have 3 papers that are written up that are waiting to be submitted, one where the analysis is done and I need to write it up with the PI, and a couple where I have to run the numbers and see what they say. Then there are a few that are in data collection phase and I need to spend a bunch of time doing that.

I've honestly been working way too much lately, but the payoff is there and getting some of these things accomplished soon will really help with stuff down the line (re:residency) and give me a bit more 'cred' when I try to get myself into research positions in school. Atleast that's what has me sacrificing some social stuff to work. Trying to keep things in balance though. I work out on days when I work late, and try to have atleast 1-2 weeknights when I meet up with friends. I try to take atleast 1 day off over the weekend as well.

This is how I feel about not having an II yet
whitepeopleproblem.png

Reactions: 5 users
While we're on coping mechanisms, for me it's running like a madwoman and buying shoes.

The average woman buys 7 pairs a year. I buy... -.-'

I'll give the person who comes the closest to guessing correctly a virtual high five!! :D

While we're on coping mechanisms, for me it's running like a madwoman and buying shoes.

I'll give the person who comes the closest to guessing correctly a virtual high five!! :D

I'm willing to bet that I've bought more pairs of shoes than you in the last year.

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that being true, because I bet it is.

I'll take the other end of the bell curve- I've only bought 3 pairs of shoes in the last 2 years, and those were only to replace worn out ones.

I'm willing to bet that I've bought more pairs of shoes than you in the last year.

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that being true, because I bet it is.
I'll tell you my number if you tell me yours :p

I don't know honestly, I'll have to count when I get home.

Estimate:
6 pairs of boots. ( destroyed two last winter)
4 pairs of sneakers (one for the OR)
1 pair of boat shoes
4 pairs of cap toes ( one brown beater, then black burgundy and dark brown)
1 Pair of dirty suede bucks
1 pair of black derbies
1 pair of double monk straps
1 pair of blue suede shoes.
1 pair of woven shoes.
1 pair of Kiltie tassel loafers
1 random pair of loafers
1 Pair of black longwings
Just ordered a pair of sand chukkas.

I'm scared to total that. Scary to see it written out lol.

Last edited:
And I sold a couple of pairs that didn't fit right and one that seemed too nice for me. Made a bunch of money on the latter!

Number of serious relationships over the last year: 0.

Last edited:

48? i think with a normal job you could probably purchase 1 pair per week. About 4 pairs per month and thus 48 per year...am I right?

Just so we are clear...i buy less than 7 per year. They are usually running shoes (I buy a new pair each year). And once and a while i'll buy something fashionable. I have like two pairs of shoes that just go with everything. My shopping consists of random bargain clothing buys. sometimes useless.

Depends on the brands. The four nicest shoes I have are Allen Edmonds burgundy captoes, allen edmond wingtip boots, zegna chelsea boots, and zegna dark brown captoes. I bought the majority of my stuff from thrift stores or consignment stores, but that shiz is expensive as fak new. I think the zegnas retail for 600 bucks or so.

I'd rather buy awesome stuff used if it's in good condition than buy something new for the same price. Stuff doesn't last anymore.

I do the same for clothes too. There's no way I could afford a new brooks brothers suit, so I just found one in my size that someone I knew was selling. They gave me a deal and it was about 160 after alterations. I would have bought a really crappy suit new for the same price.

Hmm I probably hover in the 2-4 range per year. Mostly because sandals and sneakers get worn out and dirty. Heels and boots last me forever.

.....Wait.... What the hell are we talking about over here??? Hahah!!

I bought a pair of Adidas sneakers sometime in the spring. Previous shoes purchase was probably two years or more ago. I cannot stand dress shoes - if I don't get accepted again, the silver lining will be that I won't have to wear them. :)

My turn (since January 2014):

Close to 20 pairs.

I like the fahncy stuff, but I only eBay it. Shoes need to be new (I can't deal with someone else's foot burgers), so it still comes to pretty penny :O

Hmm I probably hover in the 2-4 range per year. Mostly because sandals and sneakers get worn out and dirty. Heels and boots last me forever.

.....Wait.... What the hell are we talking about over here??? Hahah!!

COPING MECHANISMS!

Reactions: 2 users
So one of the fellows that's waiting for her attending gig to start convinced me to play hookey and go to the beach with her today.

I think I'm going to make a half day of it.

Also @kthxbai I think we both win? Lose? Not sure here tbh.

As a side note, Cole haan shoes are awful.
Why? They always fit me in the store and I want a pair!

I buy one or two pairs of shoes per year. I just bought a pair this week ($6, marked down from about $80) to replace another pair that I have completely worn out.

I dreamed last night I got an II from Cornell. I did not apply there.

Reactions: 4 users
Why? They always fit me in the store and I want a pair!

I buy one or two pairs of shoes per year. I just bought a pair this week ($6, marked down from about $80) to replace another pair that I have completely worn out.

I dreamed last night I got an II from Cornell. I did not apply there.
Your subconscious is trying to tell you something. No, not about shoes. ;)

Your subconscious is trying to tell you something. No, not about shoes. ;)
Uh, yeah, it's telling me I would love to go to school in New York City! I am not adding any more schools, though.

Uh, yeah, it's telling me I would love to go to school in New York City! I am not adding any more schools, though.
Yes, I am getting tempted now and then to add more as I see people getting IIs but I am trying to convince myself that I don't need to.

In the other news, I just got an email from AMCAS and realized that I have not assigned any LORs to University of Colorado. I have been complete there for more than two weeks. Doh!

How can you not like Cole Haan shoes? Nike recently bought them so they will all have nike engineered soles making them more comfy.

How can you not like Cole Haan shoes? Nike recently bought them so they will all have nike engineered soles making them more comfy.
Some of them already have this. Actually I do own one pair that I wore to my wedding. I should dig those out!

Yes, I am getting tempted now and then to add more as I see people getting IIs but I am trying to convince myself that I don't need to.
QUOTE]

When I got my first rejection, I immediately added 5 more schools. After a few days and some soul searching, I don't plan to do the secondaries.
You did your research and picked the best schools for you, right?
Try to trust the process. (I hate the simplicity of that, but my lifting coach has drilled it into my head.)

II at Iowa! If you applied there you need to log onto the portal and check. I never received an email; however, when i started checking all my portals (like a crazy person every morning) i noticed the Interview tab and it was like "congrats!". So...bottom line is to check your portals at every school, you never know if there is an issue with communication. Also, just received a II from Tufts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

This reminds me of what I thought before moving (not sure if you were kidding but I am saying it anyways)!

I live near-ish Cornell for school (not going there though) and NYC is a 7 hour drive. ;)

This reminds me of what I thought before moving (not sure if you were kidding but I am saying it anyways)!

I live near-ish Cornell for school (not going there though) and NYC is a 7 hour drive. ;)
Yeah, I was just being silly. Sometimes my jokes aren't funny!

@Leslie_Knope I see - when I moved to NY I thought everything would be much closer than it is. . . on the bright side I just spent an awesome week in Manhattan and would love to go to school around there also. :laugh:

@Leslie_Knope I see - when I moved to NY I thought everything would be much closer than it is. . . on the bright side I just spent an awesome week in Manhattan and would love to go to school around there also. :laugh:
I did apply to Columbia! Oh man. My heart quickens just thinking about it!

:confused:
Cornell University is in Ithaca. As far as I know, there's no medical school in Ithaca.
Weill Cornell Medical School is in NYC.

Oh wow - I had no idea. Haha.

I just assumed it was in Ithaca - nothing I had ever looked into.

Lol- ok :D

Glad I didn't apply to the wilds of middle NYS. I had a small panic attack there for a sec.