2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If only they'd let me know whether they like me or not, though....

Members don't see this ad.

II at Iowa! If you applied there you need to log onto the portal and check. I never received an email; however, when i started checking all my portals (like a crazy person every morning) i noticed the Interview tab and it was like "congrats!". So...bottom line is to check your portals at every school, you never know if there is an issue with communication. Also, just received a II from Tufts.

I've been telling myself I wouldn't do that because I already check my email a thousand times a day...but since you say so! (Just did btw and no news :()

Congrats on the IIs!

Reactions: 1 users
I've got a fever... AND THE ONLY PRESCRIPTION IS MORE II'S!!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll take the other end of the bell curve- I've only bought 3 pairs of shoes in the last 2 years, and those were only to replace worn out ones.
Ha I'm with you, I hardly buy shoes. Although I do have way too many workout shoes.

So one of the fellows that's waiting for her attending gig to start convinced me to play hookey and go to the beach with her today.

I think I'm going to make a half day of it.

Also @kthxbai I think we both win? Lose? Not sure here tbh.
I think we win. I'm building display cabinets for my babies, so I might be in a little deeper than you ;)

I've been telling myself I wouldn't do that because I already check my email a thousand times a day...but since you say so! (Just did btw and no news :()

Congrats on the IIs!

Thank you! And sorry to encourage the crazy but i'd keep checking, it may (or it may not) be today but it could be tomorrow or the next!

Reactions: 1 user
For my lady non-trads --

I just had a really cool meeting with a female pathologist at Emory.
I thought she would encourage me to apply there.
I left with the impression that I should at least throw my application at Hopkins and see what happens.

She said she couldn't have had a more wonderful education as a female in medical school whens she started in 1966!
She loved it so much she stayed for residency.

Hopkins has been on and off my high-flyer list. I think it's back on!

She also said that 35 isn't in any way a reason not to be considered for medical school. That helped my very anxious heart.

Reactions: 5 users
I would just like to point out that we already have >1600 posts in this thread, and it is still August.
Last year's total # of posts was 1459.

What does that say about us?

Also, to @Overanxious :bow:

Reactions: 3 users
I would just like to point out that we already have >1600 posts in this thread, and it is still August.
Last year's total # of posts was 1459.

What does that say about us?

That we are excellent teammates? :highfive:

...or twice as anxious. :eek:

I think we have so many posts because as nontrads in general we likely have less people around us in real life that understand how crazy this process is. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one this neurotic and obsessed.

My interview is tomorrow, reality is setting in and I'm starting to freak out haha. Wish me luck!

Reactions: 4 users
My interview is tomorrow, reality is setting in and I'm starting to freak out haha. Wish me luck!
Good luck and don't worry - it will be a piece of cake. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)

Holy mackerel...tomorrow! Good luck! Hope you've looked through the Harvard questions for the specific type of interview you have. I thought they were really helpful.

Against all odds (I haven't done an hour of research in my life)... I got the UCSF secondary just now!

Reactions: 14 users
Re: Cole Haan shoes. The quality is terrible. I have three pairs.

1) Chukka boots. Sole is falling apart. Like woah. Awful.
2) Double monks. Squeaked like crazy. Store fixed it. Few months later, the welt is coming apart from the sole.
3) Derbys seem to be doing okay.

They're really overpriced for how crappy their quality is. Spend a bit more and buy allen edmonds and you'll get 5-10x the amount of wear out of them if you count recrafting services.

Re: Cole Haan shoes. The quality is terrible. I have three pairs.

1) Chukka boots. Sole is falling apart. Like woah. Awful.
2) Double monks. Squeaked like crazy. Store fixed it. Few months later, the welt is coming apart from the sole.
3) Derbys seem to be doing okay.

They're really overpriced for how crappy their quality is. Spend a bit more and buy allen edmonds and you'll get 5-10x the amount of wear out of them if you count recrafting services.
You should return all of those for a refund. If you bought them at Nordstrom for example, you could do that. I'm sorry they aren't good quality. I just have the one pair and don't wear them often enough to comment on quality.

I was almost asleep and then checked my email instead of relaxing to dream land. Good night.

Against all odds (I haven't done an hour of research in my life)... I got the UCSF secondary just now!

Congrats!

I'm having so much trouble with the JMP essays. I've been trying to get it out all week. I need to get it out this weekend at the latest. Same with UCSD. Sigh.

You should return all of those for a refund. If you bought them at Nordstrom for example, you could do that. I'm sorry they aren't good quality. I just have the one pair and don't wear them often enough to comment on quality.

I was almost asleep and then checked my email instead of relaxing to dream land. Good night.

Yeah, they're over a year old, still not things that should be happening. The monks have the start of a hole in the sole from wear, so I'm just going to wear them out before tossing them. I'll replace them with something better eventually if I find something at a good pricepoint.

I just think their quality and construction is pretty shabby. It's only gone downhill after nike bought them. They make fashion shoes, not things that last. It's a bummer, because the brand used to be awesome in past decades.

Just a hello. Got my UG from an Ivy. Fulfilled the premed requirements but majored in one of the more unusual Liberal Arts and Sciences disciplines. For one year after graduating had a job in workplace wellness and have been working since then (just over a year) in healthcare administration. Usual shadowing and volunteer experience, domestic and foreign. MCAT 35-39 and cGPA 3.72. Applied to many schools early, but didn't get verified (grrr) until late. So far, just one II. . .and I have no fingernails left! Glad to find this forum! (BTW, I am mid-twenties.)

Just a hello. Got my UG from an Ivy. Fulfilled the premed requirements but majored in one of the more unusual Liberal Arts and Sciences disciplines. For one year after graduating had a job in workplace wellness and have been working since then (just over a year) in healthcare administration. Usual shadowing and volunteer experience, domestic and foreign. MCAT 35-39 and cGPA 3.72. Applied to many schools early, but didn't get verified (grrr) until late. So far, just one II. . .and I have no fingernails left! Glad to find this forum! (BTW, I am mid-twenties.)

Honestly, from what i've read II's are super late this year due to the massive influx of early applications. Don't start panicking yet! It's only August! Congrats on that II and your accomplishments! I wish you luck in your cycle and welcome!

Honestly, from what i've read II's are super late this year due to the massive influx of early applications. Don't start panicking yet! It's only August! Congrats on that II and your accomplishments! I wish you luck in your cycle and welcome!
Thanks so much for the welcome! If we love company, does that mean that we are miserable? :) I love your avatar. . .did someone send you my current photo so that you could copy from that? Seriously, it is nice to have a safe place to chat!

Agreed 100%, I think that from what it's sounding like, there was an influx of early applicants this year. The other thing for me is that I know that my GPA is a sore point, so I didn't expect to be getting IIs early because it would take time to really read through my whole application and see beyond that. I'm so jazzed to be where I am now, but for everyone else feeling panicky, don't panic and DO NOT APPLY TO MORE SCHOOLS OUT OF PANIC. I did this. It does not feel good looking at my third straight month's impending credit card bill. Mint.com tells me I'm getting lots out of the Education tag...

Supposedly schools would not send IIs in the middle of the night but that has not prevented me from checking my email on the phone whenever I happen to be awake, even if it's just for a few minutes.

Imagine how it used to be when interview invites were sent over regular email. Once the postman delivers the mail, that is it for the day - no more checking. :scared:

Reactions: 2 users
Ha! Finally getting Drexel's secondary... last one to do and a lovely long weekend to do it in.

I think we have so many posts because as nontrads in general we likely have less people around us in real life that understand how crazy this process is. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one this neurotic and obsessed.

This. Yes! Happy I found you guys :)

Also, side note: I'm taking some upper level bio at my undergrad and holy guacamole premeds are so clueless to what it takes to apply. Met one girl that said she's applying dentistry and "if that doesn't work out" med school is a backup.. Also met multiple people that are planning on applying with 0 research or volunteering. And yet another that is planning on taking the MCAT next year and he didn't know it was changing... Super facepalm

Also, side note: I'm taking some upper level bio at my undergrad and holy guacamole premeds are so clueless to what it takes to apply. Met one girl that said she's applying dentistry and "if that doesn't work out" med school is a backup.. Also met multiple people that are planning on applying with 0 research or volunteering. And yet another that is planning on taking the MCAT next year and he didn't know it was changing... Super facepalm

That's a sad state of affairs there... Though you could be happy that this is your competition and thus you'll stand out like a bright shiny star!

Reactions: 3 users
I just found out that AAMC intends to change the scoring of the new MCAT, so it won't be something out of 60 but the scores will be in the hundreds. It does not affect me in any way but shows that I've lost track of certain parts of the application process.

First II !!!!!

My state school - Medical College of Georgia

Reactions: 14 users
Wow, that really does take some pressure off.

...and then adds another kind right behind it.
(HOLYCRAPTHISISREALLYHAPPENING)

Reactions: 9 users
Just got home from my interview! What a great experience, I think I did well! Hope to get the good news in 2-3 weeks and have a lot of stress lifted!

Reactions: 7 users
Just got home from my interview! What a great experience, I think I did well! Hope to get the good news in 2-3 weeks and have a lot of stress lifted!

Where?
What was it like?
Did you have a panic attack? I'll probably have a panic attack. :)

Eat some dinner and then tell us EVERYTHING!!

Congrats!!

Where?
What was it like?
Did you have a panic attack? I'll probably have a panic attack. :)

Eat some dinner and then tell us EVERYTHING!!

Congrats!!

Haha! I still have to go to class (California here)

It was at WesternU the DO school in Southern CA. It was amazing.. I didn't sleep I was so nervous, didn't eat, same reason...

It was 2 MMI (~7 minute) stations and 1 multipanel 30 minute interview...

It was very relaxed and an amazing experience. THe school was awesome, the students were awesome and friendly, and the faculty were very personable. I really think I'll end up here if they accept me!

Yeah, I've had a number of these awkward conversations this week too. I'm wondering whether to have a word with the pre-health advisor too- talked to one girl who could have a solid app (with a decent MCAT), but she hasn't taken the MCAT yet, not even a practice test, and is scheduled for end of september. The advisor is telling her that if she submits by the deadline, it'll be fine :eek:. Tried to quash that one, but I think she might apply this year anyway...

I got a complete email from Rosalind Franklin (thought I was complete 2 weeks ago...) and freaked out because of the subject title. Then I realized it was a complete email and got annoyed...

I got a complete email from Rosalind Franklin (thought I was complete 2 weeks ago...) and freaked out because of the subject title. Then I realized it was a complete email and got annoyed...
Wake Forest did that to me two days ago. LOL

Anyone else complete early July with no IIs? Or is it just me? All alone...

They're coming, they just want to make you extra strong invites. ;) (channeling my LOR writer here) There is more enough written on SDN about how much waiting sucks, there will be no further contributions from me today.

I was complete mid July at most schools, still no IIs as well. Someday +pity+
Try not to stress guys! I was all aboard the panic train (still am a bit) and then I took a little vacation, damaged my liver, and got my mind off apps for a while and was surprised by an II. It's still early and I'm sending good vibes your way :)

Yea, no worries. With strong numbers like yours, they're bound to flow in soon enough. Its hard to trust the process, but we must!

Yep, me too. My complete dates run from the 2st week of July through the 2st week of August, with almost 1 every day. Still no IIs...

I propose a new rule.

Every time someone stresses a little bit to the point that they post about it here, they should instead post a funny gif or meme.

All in favor say aye!

Reactions: 4 users
I propose a new rule.

Every time someone stresses a little bit to the point that they post about it here, they should instead post a funny gif or meme.

All in favor say aye!

hisu7d.jpg

Ok...

just-physical-chemistry_o_440992.jpg

kinda wish this was an option for me...
9b0703b68939ed73190e6caad2eab13da732e54a871f419bacc0eab42beca6ef.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
resized_jesus-says-meme-generator-this-thread-just-got-awesome-6ed6e3.jpg

Weeelp, looks like I'll be going to that 8am office hour tomorrow. *&%#ing pchem.
So gonna close the books, have a drink, then go to bed.
'Night all!