2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey congrats to everyone who has gotten acceptances! And to everyone with all the IIs, good luck on the upcoming interviews, looks like the nontrads are doing great this year!

Sorry for being MIA but I ended up getting pulled from a WL days before orientation, cancelled the interviews I had and life has been a little crazy since haha. I'm stoked for how well everyone is doing though and I'm rooting for you all!
Congrats!

And that makes complete sense about being busy, I bet it's been nuts! Awesome but nuts :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh I know I am wrong about gender on SDN more than I am right.
So, just in case anyone gets my species wrong, I scrapped the penguins (not getting me interviews anyway!) and went with Durga eyes. Now the reasonable misconception would be that I am a divinity. Forgivable deduction. . . .:uhno:

Reactions: 1 users
So, just in case anyone gets my species wrong, I scrapped the penguins (not getting me interviews anyway!) and went with Durga eyes. Now the reasonable misconception would be that I am a divinity. Forgivable deduction. . . .:uhno:
Love your new avatar! I tire of those conformist penguins.

@juliuspepperwood Super happy for you, I have been reading your posts for a long while on SDN and rooting for you!

Reactions: 3 users
My USC Rejection stung a bit last week, but I just got a II from UMass! Super excited. Third II and it's the third interview I'd go to at this point, which is awesome because it's high up on my list!

Reactions: 10 users
First, let me congratulate all my fellow non-trads that have been accepted or have received interviews this cycle. I should probably join this thread given that I'm a non-trad applying. I've been MIA from sdn given that I'm either working, traveling for work or working on secondaries (which I'm buried in). I have 7 in my possession that I hope to return in the next 10-15 days.

If any non-trads have gotten secondaries from these schools, please post or PM me as they are the last ones I've applied to that I'm waiting on: Mt. Sinai, VCOM (Auburn and Carolinas) and Touro-Nevada. I am checking school specific threads for those schools pretty frequently.

While I'm complete at a number of schools, I have yet to hear anything from them. At the moment, my application is complete at 10+ schools, but I haven't heard a word from any of them. Hoping that's a sign my application is under consideration and not a silent rejection. I guess we shall soon find out. Patience has always been my greatest virtue so I'm ok with schools taking their time to review my application as long as it means interviews come the end of the year.

My USC Rejection stung a bit last week, but I just got a II from UMass! Super excited. Third II and it's the third interview I'd go to at this point, which is awesome because it's high up on my list!
Way to go!!

First, let me congratulate all my fellow non-trads that have been accepted or have received interviews this cycle. I should probably join this thread given that I'm a non-trad applying. I've been MIA from sdn given that I'm either working, traveling for work or working on secondaries (which I'm buried in). I have 7 in my possession that I hope to return in the next 10-15 days.

If any non-trads have gotten secondaries from these schools, please post or PM me as they are the last ones I've applied to that I'm waiting on: Mt. Sinai, VCOM (Auburn and Carolinas) and Touro-Nevada. I am checking school specific threads for those schools pretty frequently.

While I'm complete at a number of schools, I have yet to hear anything from them. At the moment, my application is complete at 10+ schools, but I haven't heard a word from any of them. Hoping that's a sign my application is under consideration and not a silent rejection. I guess we shall soon find out. Patience has always been my greatest virtue so I'm ok with schools taking their time to review my application as long as it means interviews come the end of the year.
I got Mt Sinai's secondary the same day I sent my verified app, but this was back in July. No idea if they'd be taking longer now, but it seemed like one of the automatic ones. Probably worth a call/email if that one's been >2 weeks.
And still haven't heard from them for II, so no idea how fast their review process is going (and I don't read the school threads- too anxiety inducing for me).

Best of luck!

With interview slots being available only later in the cycle for MD programs (like all the way to January already!), is it appropriate to email an admission's committee to be put on a wait list for an earlier slot if someone drops it? I don't want to blow my chances by being greedy, but I'm nervous about interviewing so late in the cycle with potentially few spots available :/

Glad to hear a lot of you have been having a lot of action so far!! :)

With interview slots being available only later in the cycle for MD programs (like all the way to January already!), is it appropriate to email an admission's committee to be put on a wait list for an earlier slot if someone drops it? I don't want to blow my chances by being greedy, but I'm nervous about interviewing so late in the cycle with potentially few spots available :/

I would call and ask if it is possible to add you to such a list in case someone drops out.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would call and ask if it is possible to add you to such a list in case someone drops out.

Is that even a thing?
This seems like a bad move to me personally. Patience...

Is that even a thing?
This seems like a bad move to me personally. Patience...

If you already have a II, then sure why not? They can fill the spot later with another candidate so it helps out the school. They're not going to ding you for asking...

Hofstra does this. I got an invite and selected a date in feb next year. Got a call last week asking if I could do Nov 14th so I got moved up by 3 months. I'm not complaining. If they say no, then /shrug.

I'd only do this for schools where I could show up in a moments notice. I could be at hofstra via bus/train in a few hours, I can rent a car and drive to albany no problem, and I'm going to ask UMass because I can take a commuter rail there. I can take time off work easily. For others this might be a problem.

If I had a II for a cali/chicago school, it would likely be much more challenging and expensive to pull this off but if somewhere is a 5-6 hr drive away, then it's definitely doable and worth it to me. For schools in NYC, MA, and Philly, I have no problem getting travel plans together in a day. The Northeast is pretty easy for me.

Edit:

I *just* called UMass and they said that they didn't do that. I was like, welp that's fine. Admissions office staff responded, "Yeah, no harm in asking right?".

Hahha.

If you already have a II, then sure why not? They can fill the spot later with another candidate so it helps out the school. They're not going to ding you for asking...

Hofstra does this. I got an invite and selected a date in feb next year. Got a call last week asking if I could do Nov 14th so I got moved up by 3 months. I'm not complaining. If they say no, then /shrug.

I'd only do this for schools where I could show up in a moments notice. I could be at hofstra via bus/train in a few hours, I can rent a car and drive to albany no problem, and I'm going to ask UMass because I can take a commuter rail there. I can take time off work easily. For others this might be a problem.

If I had a II for a cali/chicago school, it would likely be much more challenging and expensive to pull this off but if somewhere is a 5-6 hr drive away, then it's definitely doable and worth it to me. For schools in NYC, MA, and Philly, I have no problem getting travel plans together in a day. The Northeast is pretty easy for me.

Interesting! Thanks for the replies, everyone.

@ridethecliche, my interview is actually in-state and I could be there later this week if they wanted me to ;) I'm just not sure if they're receptive to the idea. Maybe I could call and ask anonymously? I'm glad to see that it's actually a thing, because like @kraskadva, I was not sure either.

Oh I see, I didn't realize there was already an II in hand.

If so, then I don't see any harm in asking.

Rejected from URochester. Womp womp.

Interesting! Thanks for the replies, everyone.

@ridethecliche, my interview is actually in-state and I could be there later this week if they wanted me to ;) I'm just not sure if they're receptive to the idea. Maybe I could call and ask anonymously? I'm glad to see that it's actually a thing, because like @kraskadva, I was not sure either.

Yeah, UMass is instate for me as well, but they don't do this unfortunately. I could be there with 1-2 days notice if they wanted.

Same here. I wish some school would grow the courage to write an honest rejection email instead of the drivel we get.

I can't say that I've actually paid attention to the text in any of the rejection letters I've received...

I can't say that I've actually paid attention to the text in any of the rejection letters I've received...
Precisely why I consider anything more than a couple of sentences inappropriate. For what it's worth, Rochester were done with the subject line. :)

Lol, okay. I mean... they're trying. Atleast they're not like georgetown: making one log into the portal to see the rejection.

Lol, okay. I mean... they're trying. Atleast they're not like georgetown: making one log into the portal to see the rejection.
Yea, that was definitely the most annoying one last year lol

Last edited:
VCU made me do the portal thing too... But to be fair, I did know it was a rejection, because of my prior status, and because it wasn't an ii.

Rejected by BU today. Complete mid august.

What a bummer. Now I'm super nervous about tufts...

Watching Paul Farmer give a talk on ebola. Nbd.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Watching Paul Farmer speak on Ebola. Nbd.

Funny you should mention Paul Farmer... I had an interviewer at Dartmouth drill me on the lives of him and two other people. And not politely either, he called me "such a midwesterner" as if it were an insult, i had to resist the urge to be sassy.

I dated a girl from Wisconsin for a year and can say that Midwestern sass is a thing. Ie you should have done it!

The interviewer wouldn't have known you were being sarcastic either if you're good at it.

How did you get on that topic? Farmer went to Duke ug and hms for med school and training.

I dated a girl from Wisconsin for a year and can say that Midwestern sass is a thing. Ie you should have done it!

The interviewer wouldn't have known you were being sarcastic either if you're good at it.

How did you get on that topic? Farmer went to Duke ug and hms for med school and training.

He asked me a bunch of seemingly random questions including naming someone who's known for their work in Calcutta and it was all related to social justice.

He asked me a bunch of seemingly random questions including naming someone who's known for their work in Calcutta and it was all related to social justice.

Ah, yes. Because knowing names means that you understand SJ. Epic facepalm.

Say, have you heard from tufts yet? Crossing my fingers for you!

Ah, yes. Because knowing names means that you understand SJ. Epic facepalm.

Say, have you heard from tufts yet? Crossing my fingers for you!

Yes! I was accepted at Tufts on Tuesday. Might be seeing you back in Boston next year!

Reactions: 5 users
Sigh, waitlisted at state school and first choice school's interview didn't go so hot (that and they waitlist 70% of people post-interview). Panic mode activated.

Apparently there was a talk yesterday by Dr. Sabeti that I missed. Sad day.

Rejected by BU today. Complete mid august.

What a bummer. Now I'm super nervous about tufts...

Sorry to hear that! I was rejected yesterday by a school too :( It was Michigan, so I wasn't shocked, I suppose...

Funny you should mention Paul Farmer... I had an interviewer at Dartmouth drill me on the lives of him and two other people. And not politely either, he called me "such a midwesterner" as if it were an insult, i had to resist the urge to be sassy.

WOW! I take offense to that as a midwesterner.

LOL!

Yes! I was accepted at Tufts on Tuesday. Might be seeing you back in Boston next year!

Congrtulations!!

Fingers crossed for you!

Yes congrats. I will reserve my commentary on the superiority of Bostonians, b/c one of my good nurse friends and her husband/anesthesiologist there. You might find that you will have to hold your tongue a bit in that neck of the words. LOL. Like me at Man's Greatest Hospital. Mass General. Have to roll your eyes on the inside and keep a poker face. :) Thank goodness not for everyone there. I tend to get along better with the Maine Downeasters.

Not sure I'll still be here. I got rejected from BU and still haven't heard from Tufts :/

Sorry to hear about BU but if i remember correctly Tufts was still your preference! Keep hope, there hasn't been much movement at Tufts in general.

Sigh, waitlisted at state school and first choice school's interview didn't go so hot (that and they waitlist 70% of people post-interview). Panic mode activated.

Good interview or bad interview for me it didn't correlate to an acceptance or rejection. You just never know.

Sorry to hear about BU but if i remember correctly Tufts was still your preference! Keep hope, there hasn't been much movement at Tufts in general.

Yup! Tufts was definitely my preference. One of my top choices actually!

Still waiting for an II. Is it too early in the season to be freaking out? I had a phone II with WMich a couple weeks ago. I've been a little worried and finished my AACOMAS application this last week. I need to get a LOR from one of the physicians I've shadowed ASAP for those secondaries. But I still have a chance at 10 MD Schools, 5 Texas Schools, and the 7 DO schools to which I applied, so…. there is still hope, right? RIGHT? :unsure:

Still waiting for an II. Is it too early in the season to be freaking out? I had a phone II with WMich a couple weeks ago. I've been a little worried and finished my AACOMAS application this last week. I need to get a LOR from one of the physicians I've shadowed ASAP for those secondaries. But I still have a chance at 10 MD Schools, 5 Texas Schools, and the 7 DO schools to which I applied, so…. there is still hope, right? RIGHT? :unsure:

Of course! Looking at the school specific threads there are many students who get their first II in the spring!!! and still matriculate at those schools.

Crossing my fingers that this is the week I'll hear back from Drexel.