**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I solicit some advice from you guys ? So the school I got a II from suggested I schedule my interview for the early days of December because they set aside a special day where URM/veteran could meet and interview to get a better idea of the diversity of the school as stated in the email I received. Should I oblige this request even though I know that if I interview earlier it might be better for me when it comes to making a decision like in mid November? Or you think it wont make a difference ?

Members don't see this ad.

Can I solicit some advice from you guys ? So the school I got a II from suggested I schedule my interview for the early days of December because they set aside a special day where URM/veteran could meet and interview to get a better idea of the diversity of the school as stated in the email I received. Should I oblige this request even though I know that if I interview earlier it might be better for me when it comes to making a decision like in mid November? Or you think it wont make a difference ?

I'd personally get in asap. I can get an idea about diversity from the class profile, organizations, and surrounding community.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd personally get in asap. I can get an idea about diversity from the class profile, organizations, and surrounding community.
What if I was a little too excited and already committed to that later date, think it would look negatively on me if I email/call to change the date which they stated a applicant can do if they wanted on their portal ..

Members don't see this ad :)
What if I was a little too excited and already committed to that later date, think it would look negatively on me if I email/call to change the date which they stated a applicant can do if they wanted on their portal ..

I've moved so many things with no regrets so my answer is going to be no.

Reactions: 1 user
What are you all doing to prepare for interviews? I have a mock-interview planned and I am looking into each school's mission. Anything i'm missing or that would help?

What are you all doing to prepare for interviews? I have a mock-interview planned and I am looking into each school's mission. Anything i'm missing or that would help?

Oh my goodness this reminds me, does anyone else feel like they've overstudied for the interviews?! All of mine thus far have been about my extracurriculars. I'm yet to receive a "why medicine?" "why X school?" and I was so ready for those lol

As far as prep goes, that should be sufficient. And know your activities inside out.

Oh my goodness this reminds me, does anyone else feel like they've overstudied for the interviews?! All of mine thus far have been about my extracurriculars. I'm yet to receive a "why medicine?" "why X school?" and I was so ready for those lol

As far as prep goes, that should be sufficient. And know your activities inside out.

Those are good. Also, why you? Where do you see yourself XX years from now? Why Dr. vs nursing/PA? What if not medicine or Dr? ACA/healthcare?

I have been asked these more than once.

Hi all! Checking in a little late, but I'm so happy to see this supportive thread!
I'm very privileged to have 2 IIs (Charles Drew/UCLA and U of Cincinnati) so early in the cycle.

Stay positive y'all - this is a long process and though I don't know any of you IRL, I'm proud of my fellow URMs

Reactions: 5 users
Same here. I just need someone to put me in a coma right now and set the alarm clock for October 17th 5 p.m. LOL.
Try living in TX... November.... 15th!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
II at Mt Sinai!!!:banana:

Definitely a reach school for me.

Reactions: 6 users
So I couldn't change the interview from early December to a earlier date because those times have been snapped up. Now I'm wondering if I just made a unforced error knowing that schools will start to fill their classes late October and a earlier interview would have been advantageous. Won't make any more of those mistakes for the rest of the cycle.

Edit- someone plz pm me if this might seem distasteful to people waiting for their first II. I don't want to offend anyone or scare them away from such a supportive thread. The neuroticism clouds my ability to pick this up at times.

Congratulations!!! I guess you applied to a mix of MD and MD/PhD programs?

Thank you! Congrats to you too!

I applied to MD/MPH wherever available, I'm pretty gun-ho for the 5 year programs over the MD only.

And all the schools that only offered MD-only, I plan on applying MPH internally, which is between 3rd and 4th year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
So I couldn't change the interview from early December to a earlier date because those times have been snapped up. Now I'm wondering if I just made a unforced error knowing that schools will start to fill their classes late October and a earlier interview would have been advantageous. Won't make any more of those mistakes for the rest of the cycle.

Edit- someone plz pm me if this might seem distasteful to people waiting for their first II. I don't want to offend anyone or scare them away from such a supportive thread. The neuroticism clouds my ability to pick this up at times.

Not distasteful at all. I'd say when you get an invite make sure you double check whether that school has rolling admissions or not then decide whether earlier is necessary even if it's more difficult.

Like my State school is rolling, and I'm not currently residing there so I have to go back to the area two consecutive weeks because I have another interview there, which is a pain, but I don't want to risk it because the next date was a month and a half later.

II at Mt Sinai!!!:banana:

Definitely a reach school for me.
Hope u rock the interview. Def one of the most amazing schools in NYC. If you need any advice or someone to show u around the city reach out to me.

Hope u rock the interview. Def one of the most amazing schools in NYC. If you need any advice or someone to show u around the city reach out to me.

Thanks! I'll PM you when it gets closer to my interview date.

Hey guys!

Just wanted to share I received two IIs yesterday! so excited! Thank You God!

Hope everyone else is rocking the interviews

Thank you! Congrats to you too!

I applied to MD/MPH wherever available, I'm pretty gun-ho for the 5 year programs over the MD only.

And all the schools that only offered MD-only, I plan on applying MPH internally, which is between 3rd and 4th year.

Why such an interest in public health?

Hey guys!

Just wanted to share I received two IIs yesterday! so excited! Thank You God!

Hope everyone else is rocking the interviews
2 in one day! Think I would pass out from over simulation. *hope that didn't sound dirty*

Holy **** as soon as I posted that I just got a interview! ! #2... Am I going to pass out today? Let's make #3 come! !

Reactions: 3 users
Why such an interest in public health?

Well without writing an essay, I've been in patient-centered research for minorities and immigrants for over 4 years and my long term career goals to make actual changes in these communities through policy and culturally-relevant delivery methods will be greatly facilitated with an MPH. I already have specific projects I'd like to work on.

LOLz so I just get a email from Pittsburgh and I was ready to pass out. Sadly it was a rejection :(
( i wanted that school to cheat on you guys with me)

LOLz so I just get a email from Pittsburgh and I was ready to pass out. Sadly it was a rejection :(
( i wanted that school to cheat on you guys with me)

Aww I'm sorry to hear. But you got your II this morning so don't get dampened!!

Aww I'm sorry to hear. But you got your II this morning so don't get dampened!!

HA HA HA not upset at all I applied to 5 schools that I already assumed that I was rejected from : Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Pitt , Mount Sinai. Anything other than a rejection is gravy so im still super happy about my II today!

Were any of y'all at Tufts this week? We need a secret signal because I always wanna point at my fellow URMs and wink.

Were any of y'all at Tufts this week? We need a secret signal because I always wanna point at my fellow URMs and wink.

Not I bby. But like if we both get in you should go to second look so we can wink the entire weekend long ;)

Not I bby. But like if we both get in you should go to second look so we can wink the entire weekend long ;)

Yes! Great idea.

Guys let's all try to coordinate and figure out who is going to second looks later this season :).

Yes! Great idea.

Guys let's all try to coordinate and figure out who is going to second looks later this season :).

Do schools pay for anything for second look? I saw conflicting info on MDapps, but they may have been MD/PhD and forgot to specifics as much.

Do schools pay for anything for second look? I saw conflicting info on MDapps, but they may have been MD/PhD and forgot to specifics as much.

Heard at Case (by chatting with students during my interview) that the hotel is covered. But I'm not sure.

Is this lyfe right now?!?!

II at UVA.

Reactions: 7 users
*~my state school FINALLY decided to love me back today*~ the dry spell is officially broken lol

Reactions: 7 users
#3 came in today really surprised with the turnarounds, I wasn't even sure if I was competetive. Btw alpha-gtp I have a good friend at UVA if you have any questions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

#3 came in today really surprised with the turnarounds, I wasn't even sure if I was competetive. Btw alpha-gtp I have a good friend at UVA if you have any questions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Thanks! I'll PM you.

I just want to say congrats to everybody. Be proud in how far you've come. We really are killing it. And if you haven't heard anything back yet be patient. It's coming. URM kicking ass!

Does anyone know if Pitt is still giving out II's? I turned in my secondary mid-September but haven't heard anything. Wasn't sure if there were any interview spots left at all anyway.

Does anyone know if Pitt is still giving out II's? I turned in my secondary mid-September but haven't heard anything. Wasn't sure if there were any interview spots left at all anyway.
I higly doubt any school finished giving out II. I was completed early September so you will hear back soon.

I received my II 9/30 and at that time the available dates were the December 5th through 12th or something like that. So it's possible they are nearing their last few IIs

@Chelsea FC Pitt concludes its interview season mid-December so it is actually possible for them to be done with invites, or have a few left for the latter dates, or if people withdraw their invites.

Edit: I was complete 9/20 for Pitt if you were wondering.