**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Be careful. You want to be natural and relatable.

There was a guy at my interview yesterday that came off as he scripted every single interaction ahead of time. Like during Q&A BU even when it was just us interviewees chatting, you expect people to come in with prepared questions to a retain point but literally everything he said sounded like he was reciting something he rehearsed. I can only imagine it carried over into the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats on your interview OP! Hope you get good news soon!

Also I feel like it was the same guy on the trail I encountered twice. Really nice guy but omg dude, save it for the interviewers! It was weird!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Be careful. You want to be natural and relatable.

There was a guy at my interview yesterday that came off as he scripted every single interaction ahead of time. Like during Q&A BU even when it was just us interviewees chatting, you expect people to come in with prepared questions to a retain point but literally everything he said sounded like he was reciting something he rehearsed. I can only imagine it carried over into the interview.

Yeah I am keeping my eye on that. But I have a bad memory so I wont be scripted even if I wanted to be lolz. Talking to strangers is a skill that comes naturally to me so I dont worry about that. I just want a blueprint how to formulate my thoughts.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on your interview OP! Hope you get good news soon!

Also I feel like it was the same guy on the trail I encountered twice. Really nice guy but omg dude, save it for the interviewers! It was weird!

Thank you! I'm not going to expect news until January at the earliest so not psyching myself out. Since BU doesn't release until mid Jan, and all my other interviews are in Nov. already, so I have a good wait ahead of me. Congrats to you though, must be a relief to know your are going to be Doc!!!

Haha that's exactly what I was thinking, like hey dude I'm not evaluating you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone!

I've been following this thread for a while but finally built up the courage to introduce myself :)

First off I want to say CONGRATS TO EVERYONE FOR MAKING IT UP TO THIS POINT IN THE CYCLE; extra congrats to those with interview offers as well as those with acceptances!! Patience truly is key and I’m more than sure everyone’s time here will come.

(Positive Mind = Positive Vibes)

My rambling aside, I’ve been blessed to received 7 IIs so far, 2 denials, and 1 hold. I’ve also developed the utmost unhealthy obsession with checking my email/portals :-/

Well, I’m here to join you all on this journey :rofl: that I’m certain we’ll come out the victors of!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Hi Everyone!

I've been following this thread for a while but finally built up the courage to introduce myself :)

First off I want to say CONGRATS TO EVERYONE FOR MAKING IT UP TO THIS POINT IN THE CYCLE; extra congrats to those with interview offers as well as those with acceptances!! Patience truly is key and I’m more than sure everyone’s time here will come.

(Positive Mind = Positive Vibes)

My rambling aside, I’ve been blessed to received 7 IIs so far, 2 denials, and 1 hold. I’ve also developed the utmost unhealthy obsession with checking my email/portals :-/

Well, I’m here to join you all on this journey :rofl: that I’m certain we’ll come out the victors of!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to have you @DKH27 bienvenidos a la familia!

Got a rejection today :(, but then received 2 interview invites right after! :clap: I think I am doing something right lol.

Reactions: 9 users
Got a rejection today :(, but then received 2 interview invites right after! :clap: I think I am doing something right lol.

Their loss. Focus on those two amazing opportunities!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm pretty late too and I've never posted in here but... yesterday I got accepted into Eastern Virginia Medical School!

I was at work for the 9-5 shift yesterday and the email came in at about 9:15. I checked my email at 9:20 and happened to see it there and at first I couldn't believe it and I just kinda played it cool as I told my co-workers and the doctors I work with. I stepped outside, called my mom and said "Your son's gonna be a doctor" as I told her the news, went back inside, finished my shift and went to the gym like it was a normal day. When got home I walked into my house, went straight into my mom's room, and we just stood and hugged for about 10 minutes as we both cried. I tear up a little every time I think about it still. Me, a 6'2" 23 year old male cried in his mother's arms like a baby. I do this all for her man. I still have some admission decisions coming and I was lucky enough to get an early interview at my dream school so hopefully there is still good news to come.

I don't even know who to begin thanking in my life but I just know that it's still surreal. Everybody still waiting for their first acceptances, just know that when it happens there are gonna be some real emotions felt between you and your loved ones. It really is great knowing that all of this hard work is finally beginning to pay off.

Oh and I'm definitely going out this weekend and getting blasted with my friends. Cheers guys!

Reactions: 14 users
I'm pretty late too and I've never posted in here but... yesterday I got accepted into Eastern Virginia Medical School!

I was at work for the 9-5 shift yesterday and the email came in at about 9:15. I checked my email at 9:20 and happened to see it there and at first I couldn't believe it and I just kinda played it cool as I told my co-workers and the doctors I work with. I stepped outside, called my mom and said "Your son's gonna be a doctor" as I told her the news, went back inside, finished my shift and went to the gym like it was a normal day. When got home I walked into my house, went straight into my mom's room, and we just stood and hugged for about 10 minutes as we both cried. I tear up a little every time I think about it still. Me, a 6'2" 23 year old male cried in his mother's arms like a baby. I do this all for her man. I still have some admission decisions coming and I was lucky enough to get an early interview at my dream school so hopefully there is still good news to come.

I don't even know who to begin thanking in my life but I just know that it's still surreal. Everybody still waiting for their first acceptances, just know that when it happens there are gonna be some real emotions felt between you and your loved ones. It really is great knowing that all of this hard work is finally beginning to pay off.

Oh and I'm definitely going out this weekend and getting blasted with my friends. Cheers guys!

Welcome to the party, fam. Drinks in the back :welcome:

congratulations bro!! You are going to be a great doc in the not so distant future:cigar:

Hey if you dont mind I think you should also post this in the forum below. Really touching acceptance reaction story.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...how-did-you-react.65756/page-31#post-18229240

Members don't see this ad :)
No II for a while. This dry spell blows

None for me for a bit but I think I may be done. It feels weird to think about cancelling what I have left though...

None for me for a bit but I think I may be done. It feels weird to think about cancelling what I have left though...

Have you heard back from almost all your schools already? How many did you apply to?

9 days out from my first interview and I began to write out outlines of how I will answer common questions. I want to be over prepared not scripted!:punch::rage::punch:

Congrats! See if you can't do some mock interviews through a career center if you're at an academic institution. I did three before the interview trail and it helped tremendously by highlighting which responses I needed to be more succinct with.

Have you heard back from almost all your schools already? How many did you apply to?

27 apps with one rejection. II at 12 but I withdrew from 2 already and got into 2 and waiting on 3 others post interview. So 5 interviews remaining.

My top pick for OOS is one that I got into. My gut tells me to go ahead and cancel my other IIs to free up slots but it feels like I'm throwing away opportunity because I might fall in love while I'm there. Ya know?

27 apps with one rejection. II at 12 but I withdrew from 2 already and got into 2 and waiting on 3 others post interview. So 5 interviews remaining.

My top pick for OOS is one that I got into. My gut tells me to go ahead and cancel my other IIs to free up slots but it feels like I'm throwing away opportunity because I might fall in love while I'm there. Ya know?

Honestly I think I will attend every interview I receive. I only applied to schools that I would attend over my State school so I don't think any of them would be wasted $$$

I think you should attend. Like you said you may love it, plus you'd miss possible scholarship opportunities that may sway your decision towards/away schools you previously thought you were sure about. You never know.

So you still have 14 schools to hear from, and it's still a bit early, you don't expect to hear from those?

Honestly I think I will attend every interview I receive. I only applied to schools that I would attend over my State school so I don't think any of them would be wasted $$$

I think you should attend. Like you said you may love it, plus you'd miss possible scholarship opportunities that may sway your decision towards/away schools you previously thought you were sure about. You never know.

So you still have 14 schools to hear from, and it's still a bit early, you don't expect to hear from those?

I'm a reapplicant in Texas so the remaining 6 or so Texas schools may not look at me in a positive light. As for OOS? Maybe. They definitely could get back to me.

Money wise, I just want to start paying off my CCs. I went ahead and cancelled a couple that I know I wouldn't attend over one of my acceptances. But I am going to keep 2-3 that I am on the fence about. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: 1 users

Congrats! I interview there in 2 weeks. Nice to see some success in the URM

So I'm half asleep in bed just not wanting to get up as I don't have to work today. And I get an email notification and I see "Med" but my eyes are blurry and can't make it out. So I get up, go open the email on my laptop.

Low and behold. Interview invitation from Harvard Medical School!

I literally flew out of bed. Said okay wake up, this might not be real. Go to brush my teeth first, and can't because I keep gagging. Guys I cannot even believe it's real yet. Still shaking, still nauseated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
So I'm half asleep in bed just not wanting to get up as I don't have to work today. And I get an email notification and I see "Med" but my eyes are blurry and can't make it out. So I get up, go open the email on my laptop.

I literally flew out of bed. Said okay wake up, this might not be real. Go to brush my teeth first, and can't because I keep gagging. Guys I cannot even believe it's real yet. Still shaking, still nauseated.

:clap::soexcited::soexcited::highfive:

You're killing it this cycle!

:cool::D

What a beast:prof: I knew you were gonna kill it this cycle even though you didn't do as well as you would have liked on the MCAT( which was still good). I think this just goes to the show how the whole package is what is looked at, and if you got an interview from Harvard that means you can get an interview anywhere and that some amazing acceptances are on the way. Congrats again:clap:

Reactions: 1 users
:cool::D

What a beast:prof: I knew you were gonna kill it this cycle even though you didn't do as well as you would have liked on the MCAT( which was still good). I think this just goes to the show how the whole package is what is looked at, and if you got an interview from Harvard that means you can get an interview anywhere and that some amazing acceptances are on the way. Congrats again:clap:

Thank you so much. That's literally what my mom just said to me on the phone!

If I get one more MCAT diversity e-mail giving me a slight heart attack thinking it's something actually important I may lose it. Now is not the time for all that noise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
If I get one more MCAT diversity e-mail giving me a slight heart attack thinking it's something actually important I may lose it. Now is not the time for all that noise.

Lol that's funny and horrifying!
I don't really get any of those, I think I've received 3 so far. But the other thing is I used my school email for the mcat and then my work email for AMCAS so fortunately I've been spared that!

I don't really get any of those, I think I've received 3 so far. But the other thing is I used my school email for the mcat and then my work email for AMCAS so fortunately I've been spared that!

Very smart move, I've gotten 7 from 5 different schools with the same mini heart attack every time.

Very smart move, I've gotten 7 from 5 different schools with the same mini heart attack every time.

I'm floored right now. Accepted to both OUWB and Emory today! :soexcited:

Reactions: 17 users

Wooooooh represent!

Can I send a "in the area" letter to my state schools ?? lolz the silence is deafening

Hey Guys,

I'm a little confused about the financial side of the application process. I hear people saying they are offered scholarships with their acceptance letters, are those all merit-based scholarships, or need-based as well? Does that mean that we have to send FAFSAs to all the schools we interview at before knowing the decision to get early financial aid profiles?

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I'm a little confused about the financial side of the application process. I hear people saying they are offered scholarships with their acceptance letters, are those all merit-based scholarships, or need-based as well? Do that mean that we have to send FAFSA's to all the schools we interview at before knowing the decision to get early financial aid profiles?

Tufts explicitly stated to wait until we were accepted.

I think they're all processed (ones submitted before they begin forming packages) around the same time and I don't think sending one before you're accepted will benefit you because they won't be matching it to a name anyway.

Tufts explicitly stated to wait until we were accepted.

I think they're all processed (ones submitted before they begin forming packages) around the same time and I don't think sending one before you're accepted will benefit you because they won't be matching it to a name anyway.

Well that's what I thought. But then BU said do it ASAP and that it's already open so get to it. He seemed to think it was better now because they send all profiles in Jan with the acceptance and their institutional scholarships are assigned early.

I guess I'll wait. I started to fill it out and assigned my State school because from previous threads, people received acceptances a couple weeks after interviews. I just don't know if to wait until March/April for some schools... I don't know.

Interview 3 and a doctor you will be!! one of my state school finally gave me love!!

Reactions: 12 users
Thank you!! And nothing special, 3.5 both c/sGPA and 31-33 range on the MCAT.

Congrats bruh. I have an interview coming up at Tufts. Any pointers? Was the interview really stressful or was it more like a conversation?

Congrats bruh. I have an interview coming up at Tufts. Any pointers? Was the interview really stressful or was it more like a conversation?

Hey, I am applying to Tufts, so if you don't mind me asking, what is your gpa and mcat score? Thank you.

Hey, I am applying to Tufts, so if you don't mind me asking, what is your gpa and mcat score? Thank you.

You're going to find people with every range of gpa and MCAT with interviews and acceptances. Relax, be patient, and just be confident in your app. Nothing you can change in your stats now.