2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a side note I can't decide whether to wear a suit or military dress uniform for interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd be totes impressed by someone who showed up in uniform.

But I'm just a small town girl, livin in a lonely world.

(Actually I'm from a city but I was just in Detroit and missed the chance to sing Journey so y'all get to put up with this)

I'd be totes impressed by someone who showed up in uniform.

But I'm just a small town girl, livin in a lonely world.

(Actually I'm from a city but I was just in Detroit and missed the chance to sing Journey so y'all get to put up with this)
I have two thoughts on it. First, show that I am serious about life and a successful person who will succeed in med school. Second, I don't want them to think I can't "act normal" which is a potential issue people in the military face...

Members don't see this ad :)
Wat.

My Tahari ASL suit with an extra skirt was hundreds less than a Theory suit. What kind of tomfoolery so they have out there in California?!

(BTW WOOO 5th II kill it!)
Idk! I was just about to make the purchase but I'll ask if they have ASL hidden around somewhere! That might explain it!

I have two thoughts on it. First, show that I am serious about life and a successful person who will succeed in med school. Second, I don't want them to think I can't "act normal" which is a potential issue people in the military face...

If you have any concerns then in all seriousness I'd just wear a suit. They'll see your service on your app and I'm sure you'll have ample chance to talk about it.

Just opinion though!

If you have any concerns then in all seriousness I'd just wear a suit. They'll see your service on your app and I'm sure you'll have ample chance to talk about it.

Just opinion though!
That's kinda my thought. For USUHS (if I get an interview this year :-/) I'll wear uniform because well... it just makes sense. For non-military schools I think I'll just go with a suit. Need to get both dry cleaned regardless lol.

Idk! I was just about to make the purchase but I'll ask if they have ASL hidden around somewhere! That might explain it!

Yus. Good luck!

Also Halogen line from Nordstrom was inexpensive, but I didn't like the jacket fit as much as Tahari.

Yus. Good luck!

Also Halogen line from Nordstrom was inexpensive, but I didn't like the jacket fit as much as Tahari.
They totally didn't have it but... You know what... I got a great suit and I get to interview for medical school. I feel so lucky and happy right now.

My credit card and I will just have a long conversation about it later.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got trolled by a DO school I haven't done the secondary for yet. Got email congratulating me on selecting an interview spot, then an email an hour later saying 'Uhh...sorry, ignore that'

Lollerskates.

They totally didn't have it but... You know what... I got a great suit and I get to interview for medical school. I feel so lucky and happy right now.

My credit card and I will just have a long conversation about it later.

Hey, now you're set for residency interviews!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted my 29th secondary for MD schools :highfive:! Sitting on my last one to Harvard( SUPER SUPER REACH and they gave me a fee waiver). So, I am definitely going planet X on this one. Nevertheless, I feel entitled to have a few beers and some poke while I watch Patch Adams.

Reactions: 4 users
Just submitted my 29th secondary for MD schools :highfive:! Sitting on my last one to Harvard( SUPER SUPER REACH and they gave me a fee waiver). So, I am definitely going planet X on this one. Nevertheless, I feel entitled to have a few beers and some poke while I watch Patch Adams.

Dude, Harvard's doesn't even have a mandatory essay. There's not even half a reason to sit on Harvard's, you can turn that back around in five minutes!

So now that I'm functional after camping out in airports for 9+ hours yesterday, I just wanted to pass this along. I was at my first interview, and I'd gone in ready to get pounded about my poor cGPA.

We started talking about academics. My interviwer asked my sGPA, jotted that down, asked my total GPA. I started into "Well, back in 2002 I had a two point-..." He stopped me right there and waved his hand, and said: "Is that the old one? Oh, we're not even going to talk about that, it doesn't matter. Talk to me about now."

I could've cried with joy, seriously. He smiled when I told him how I was doing now and was so encouraging.

If anyone wants moar detailz (keeping in mind this is just one school) I'm happy to talk in PM but I wanted to drop this here because I know past academic issues haunt a lot of non-trads. Redemption is out there somewhere.

Now...still have to hope it translates into acceptances :p

Reactions: 2 users
He stopped me right there and waved his hand, and said: "Is that the old one? Oh, we're not even going to talk about that, it doesn't matter. Talk to me about now." I could've cried with joy, seriously. He smiled when I told him how I was doing now and was so encouraging.

I've had similar experiences at my interviews so far. I wish I could go back and tell myself a couple of years ago not to stress out about grades from (many) years in the past. I did get some good advice from a few people here (thanks, Goro!) but it was still hard to believe when the SDN consensus seems to be that anything below a 3.5 cumulative is lethal to MD chances.

And yep, like you... still hoping these good interview experiences actually turn into acceptances!

Dude, Harvard's doesn't even have a mandatory essay. There's not even half a reason to sit on Harvard's, you can turn that back around in five minutes!

I've been "off" school for two years , so I have to fill out the 1 one. The 2 one just gives me a chance to elaborate on some aspects of my life never discussed in the primary. I think the admission committee would like to know and would help them connect some dots regarding my "circuitous" path to medicine. Also, my grades are not that great, so I figure better let them know how "awesome" I am in other ways;).

One school just contacted me and told me that one of my LOR was not signed nor was in a letterhead WTF...... This specifically school asked me to update the letter. I am wondering how many other schools are ignoring me because of that..... I read in several
places that schools place less weight on letters that are not in letterheads and signed.... not stoked right now and kinda of freaking out

One school just contacted me and told me that one of my LOR was not signed nor was in a letterhead WTF...... This specifically school asked me to update the letter. I am wondering how many other schools are ignoring me because of that..... I read in several
places that schools place less weight on letters that are not in letterheads and signed.... not stoked right now and kinda of freaking out

I've had that problem too, trying to submit letters from physicians mostly. Idk why anyone would choose NOT to sign a letter, but whatevs. Don't freak out too much! You might be able to send an updated letter to all your schools.

I've had that problem too, trying to submit letters from physicians mostly. Idk why anyone would choose NOT to sign a letter, but whatevs. Don't freak out too much! You might be able to send an updated letter to all your schools.

So, I just called AAMC and they told me to update the new letter with the same AAMC number. They will update all the schools for me. Kinda of baffled that my professor/PI didn't sign/letterhead the LOR. That is one of my strongest LOR, at least I was thinking. I am still in shock :wtf:

So, I just called AAMC and they told me to update the new letter with the same AAMC number. They will update all the schools for me. Kinda of baffled that my professor/PI didn't sign/letterhead the LOR. That is one of my strongest LOR, at least I was thinking. I am still in shock :wtf:

Ugh. At least you've gotten a few even with the mishap.that sucks!

Ugh. At least you've gotten a few even with the mishap.that sucks!

It really SUCKS. Now I have to wait until my professor can re-upload the letter, hopefully he will do it today. I had so much trouble to get these LOR, you have to remind people with awkward emails. "Hey, my acceptance on med schools heavily rely in this letter, it's been 50 days since you agreed me to write a letter, can hurry the f... up and submit it, please, Sorry to bother with this 6th reminder email......

I am really wondering how much that hurt me on my overall candidacy

I still never even received what I think would have been my strongest letter. Luckily I decided to over do it on the requests so I don't need it. I have several emails from the professor wishing me luck and telling me he is sure I'll make it and to update him. Every one I replied to saying his letter wasn't in. Ironically I am 99.9% sure he wrote it but either uploaded it to someone else's profile or mailed it to the wrong address.

My clinical one was a slight rewrite from last year's application and wasn't submitted until after I was complete at all the schools.

Letters are a pain...

Another point for the nontrad team! I received my fifth II today. Gonna go have a nice unhealthy steak to celebrate.

Reactions: 6 users
Tenth II just now! Have to be content with tuna, cause my bank account is quite angry with me these days. WORTH IT. :D

Reactions: 7 users
Ahhh! So happy for you folks, but also getting a little anxious for my own prospects.
Another point for the nontrad team! I received my fifth II today. Gonna go have a nice unhealthy steak to celebrate.

Tenth II just now! Have to be content with tuna, cause my bank account is quite angry with me these days. WORTH IT. :D

You're II'in already, dude/dudette. You'll be fine, BELIEEEEEEVE
I know, I know! It's just echoes of last year for me...I guess I'll just focus on the interviews I have and the rest is out of my hands. ::hungover:eep breaths::

First DO acceptance today.

It is pretty surreal to think that next year I will be in medical school.

I am still hitting the interview trail hard though!

Reactions: 8 users

That's amazing! Congrats!

street_fighter_hadouken.png

First DO acceptance today. I am still hitting the interview trail hard though!

Wow, so early! Congrats!!! It must be a relief to go to the rest of your interviews safe in the knowledge that you definitely ARE going to med school next year.

Another week of silence. Congrats to all on the II's and acceptances. Someone just tell me something! No hold, II's or rejections.

@pageantry , did you survive? How did it go??
Hey dude, thanks for asking. It was tough! The MMI format moves so fast. I'm trying not to post-game too much and just hold on for the next one. Coming up quick! Have you had an MMI yet?

Hey dude, thanks for asking. It was tough! The MMI format moves so fast. I'm trying not to post-game too much and just hold on for the next one. Coming up quick! Have you had an MMI yet?

I know you weren't asking me, but I have my first MMI this month.

Any tips? My last four were traditional formats.

Wow, so early! Congrats!!! It must be a relief to go to the rest of your interviews safe in the knowledge that you definitely ARE going to med school next year.

Feels weird! Thanks.

Time to change that Pre-Medical to Medical Student (Accepted), dude.

While the rest of us look on in awe :D

:thumbup:

Your interview trail is much more impressive. :)

I have not. I do have one MMI lurking but not until November. Anxiety turned up to 11.

Hope you beasted it. Good luck with the next!

Feels weird! Thanks.

:thumbup:

Your interview trail is much more impressive. :)

I'll call it impressive when there's an acceptance. For now I'll just keep posting celebratory gifs for you and living vicariously ;)

celebrate2.gif

Reactions: 7 users
I do have one MMI lurking but not until November. Anxiety turned up to 11.

Hmm, am I the only one who wishes more schools used MMI? Everyone gets the same scorers, rather than the luck of the draw with interviewers, and you get many scorers, so even if someone doesn't like you it will just be one opinion out of 10 or so. Besides, I think nontrads have the advantage in MMI. We've had several more years to figure out the whole "interacting with others" thing. :D

Reactions: 3 users
Hmm, am I the only one who wishes more schools used MMI? Everyone gets the same scorers, rather than the luck of the draw with interviewers, and you get many scorers, so even if someone doesn't like you it will just be one opinion out of 10 or so. Besides, I think nontrads have the advantage in MMI. We've had several more years to figure out the whole "interacting with others" thing. :D
I actually agree. Luck of the draw can suck haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a feeling I'll agree with you once I've actually done it. It's just classic fear of the unknown right now :D

I know you weren't asking me, but I have my first MMI this month.

Any tips? My last four were traditional formats.
Dang, four? I could use your tips too.

Mine was at UC Davis, which is famous for being pretty unusual and roleplay-y. They say you can't prepare for it and it's true.

If you happen to feel shaky on ethics or active listening skills, I'd bone up. They say you should try to fill the time. I didn't find that hard to do. The short timeframe was intense.

I think it's fair to assume most MMIs have a short regular interview component. Sounds like you'll be ready for that tho. (Halp?)

I actually agree. Luck of the draw can suck haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. Tho there were aspect that I found unhelpful to me personally. MMI means the other side is kind of on a script, so if you tend to be a divergent thinker, or have a reasonable sense of appropriate interactions, you may find you've obviously screwed up the flow.

I try to imagine that could be a positive tho.

Hi all,

Just joining the non-trad thread. I just completed all of my MD secondaries, took a week off, and am now working on my DO app. I had to retake MCAT in July, so didn't submit my MD secondaries until the last week of July/first two weeks of Aug. I thought timing -wise, I am ok. However, now that I see that you guys have already gotten so many interviews, I can't help to worry that I am way behind the curve. So far, no interviews, 3 rejections (2 pre-secondaries) and 1 hold. Getting worried..... This is my 2nd cycle.