2017-2018 Michigan State University (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does tier II pretty much guarantee a spot at the Macomb campus or is it possible to still go elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

If I'm reading everything correct our first day of class beings \Monday June 11th and orientation begins Wednesday June 6th.

My question, will there be any academic obligations over that weekend prior to class officially starting? Trying to see if I can commit to a mini trip with the family before the gauntlet drops.
I certainly don't see anything on the academic calendar until 8am on 6/6 for your class. As long as you have your other onboarding ducks in a row (fingerprinting, etc.) you should be fine. I didn't even move back to Michigan until the Sunday of my orientation week so I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be missing anything. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when Canadians are typically pulled off the waitlist, here? Also, is the May 1st deadline a hard cutoff for accepting Canadian students, or will they continue to accept/pull from the WL after that date?

Has anyone completed the fingerprinting process and can answer my question? I just completed the fingerprinting appointment and they said to send in my paperwork to the school? Do I email the Livescan Request Form over or send it some other way? I got a little bit confused. Thanks!

Has anyone completed the fingerprinting process and can answer my question? I just completed the fingerprinting appointment and they said to send in my paperwork to the school? Do I email the Livescan Request Form over or send it some other way? I got a little bit confused. Thanks!
I sent mine in through the mycb thing. There's an eligible for placement box that was pending, then it turned into complete, with YES from MSUCOM. So I'm assuming it is all set through castlebranch.

I sent mine in through the mycb thing. There's an eligible for placement box that was pending, then it turned into complete, with YES from MSUCOM. So I'm assuming it is all set through castlebranch.

Okay, thanks! Did you send it over after you got your fingerprints done or just one you sent before booking the appointment? Since the operator wrote on it during the appointment, I haven't found how to send it over castlebranch. Though my "eligible for placement" box is still incomplete so I'm not sure if I'm just waiting on them.

Does anyone know when the tuition for the summer semester is due by?

Any other OMSP scholars here who didn't meet the GPA requirements to waive the MCAT, or just haven't been accepted yet? Or just know the status of any other scholars who hadn't gotten an acceptance yet?

I interviewed in September and was put on waitlist tier 3 in November. Since then, I had pretty much concluded my chance was close to zero.

I recently met with Handley though, and she told me that despite what they say about historical numbers, she has seen scholars get in even from the 3rd tier waitlist at the end of May, possibly superceding other waitlist tiers. If this is true, and I don't think she would have any reason to try to bring my hopes up for no reason, this might bode well for any other scholars in a similar boat, so I'm crossing my fingers for our sake.

My D is planning to apply for OMSP, Just for awareness, typically when does the OMSP students start preparing to submit the application for MSUCOM. thx

Accepted today from tier I American. Interviewed 3/2, waitlisted 3/22.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also accepted today,, tier 1 American, in state, interviewed 03/20
Congratulations! That’s awesome. Is there anyone on this thread from tier I still waiting to get the call? I saw you had one of the most recent interview dates so I’m trying to get a feel for where the movement is at

Question - Do I need to pay the 1,000 deposit fee to reserve my spot on the wait list at any of the locations, specifically Detroit?

So to be clear, the 1000 deposit needs to be paid before I am placed on a waitlist at any site, yes?
I would think so. I dont believe they would put you on the waitlist without having a commitment to attend.

Congratulations! That’s awesome. Is there anyone on this thread from tier I still waiting to get the call? I saw you had one of the most recent interview dates so I’m trying to get a feel for where the movement is at
Right there with ya. Still waiting on T2 movement, hopefully soon..

Since the new cycle is approaching.. does anyone have any experience/advice with reapplying as the cycle opens even though you are currently on the waitlist? I don't want to miss the chance to reapply early, but I also don't want to affect my current application (obviously I'd rather get in this cycle than next). If anyone is in a similar place right now, your thoughts are much appreciated!

Since the new cycle is approaching.. does anyone have any experience/advice with reapplying as the cycle opens even though you are currently on the waitlist? I don't want to miss the chance to reapply early, but I also don't want to affect my current application (obviously I'd rather get in this cycle than next). If anyone is in a similar place right now, your thoughts are much appreciated!
Do it early, be the first. Attend MSU events/volunteer now so you can add it to your next app AND send updates to MSU for the waitlist. Anything you do right now affects 2 cycles, use it.

Reactions: 2 users
Do it early, be the first. Attend MSU events/volunteer now so you can add it to your next app AND send updates to MSU for the waitlist. Anything you do right now affects 2 cycles, use it.

So I've already sent MSU an update letter a couple months back, basically saying that I satisfied my pre-reqs, still shadowing current docs, and am prepping for MCAT to improve app for next year, in the event Im unsuccessful. As of recent, I was able to shadow another doctor on a consistent basis. Should I send another update letter telling them that?

If MSU is your top choice, I'd recommend writing a letter of intent.

I've continued volunteering and have reached out to research labs that might have positions/volunteer opportunities as well that I can get involved in. I'm also planning on a new MCAT in June and of course attending msucom open houses and going to an academic advising appointment in a couple weeks.

I'm hoping that a significant jump in my MCAT score and continued community involvement and new research involvement might add more to what's already on my app. I'm just not sure how it'll look to them that I'm already reapplying while on the waitlist so I was wondering if you had a similar experience.

Also Natural Killer Cell I appreciate the insight, I sent an LOI a month or so ago :)

I was in the exact same boat last cycle. I scheduled a meeting with the COM academic advisors office last April, met with Dr Bailey, got advice about improving my app, followed the advice, and am now an in coming M1 for class of 2022. :) I don’t believe inthe “post your stats game”, but feel free to PM me and I will happily help you in anyway I can. Biggest take away is to make sure you follow whatever advice they give, during my acceptance call when they tell you why it is you were admitted, I was told that I smoked the interview and that I followed the advice offered the prior cycle on how to improve my app. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

James

I was in the exact same boat last cycle. I scheduled a meeting with the COM academic advisors office last April, met with Dr Bailey, got advice about improving my app, followed the advice, and am now an in coming M1 for class of 2022. :) I don’t believe inthe “post your stats game”, but feel free to PM me and I will happily help you in anyway I can. Biggest take away is to make sure you follow whatever advice they give, during my acceptance call when they tell you why it is you were admitted, I was told that I smoked the interview and that I followed the advice offered the prior cycle on how to improve my app. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

James
Thanks so much! I will PM you a minute :)

So I've already sent MSU an update letter a couple months back, basically saying that I satisfied my pre-reqs, still shadowing current docs, and am prepping for MCAT to improve app for next year, in the event Im unsuccessful. As of recent, I was able to shadow another doctor on a consistent basis. Should I send another update letter telling them that?
I don't see why not. MSU seems to have a bit of a "Don't bother me" attitude, but if its a real update with something of substance I cant see it being taken in a bad light.

I've continued volunteering and have reached out to research labs that might have positions/volunteer opportunities as well that I can get involved in. I'm also planning on a new MCAT in June and of course attending msucom open houses and going to an academic advising appointment in a couple weeks.

I'm hoping that a significant jump in my MCAT score and continued community involvement and new research involvement might add more to what's already on my app. I'm just not sure how it'll look to them that I'm already reapplying while on the waitlist so I was wondering if you had a similar experience.

Also Natural Killer Cell I appreciate the insight, I sent an LOI a month or so ago :)

It didn't seem to hurt me while reapplying (T2-->Reject, T1-->Accept) I interviewed on what I think was their second interview of the season this year, so I was immediately looked at. The attending events is good, and make sure to see if there are some holes in your app on the advising appointment. It's better to attack those than more of the same.

It didn't seem to hurt me while reapplying (T2-->Reject, T1-->Accept) I interviewed on what I think was their second interview of the season this year, so I was immediately looked at. The attending events is good, and make sure to see if there are some holes in your app on the advising appointment. It's better to attack those than more of the same.
Thank you thank you! I will definitely do so. Also, did you reapply immediately (when it opened in May)? And how fast did secondary/II take after that?

Thank you thank you! I will definitely do so. Also, did you reapply immediately (when it opened in May)? And how fast did secondary/II take after that?
I applied day 1. I forgot when they came, but I was amongst the first to get each (of people to post here).

For fingerprinting do we need to submit paperwork again after the appointment? Or is there some way we need to notify the school that we completed the appointment? My appointment was over two weeks ago and it still says incomplete in MyCB for eligibility.

Just have a quick question regarding the special tuition for Canadians. Did you have to apply to get this tuition deduction. I was looking online and it said there was a scholarship and the deadline was March 1st. I wasn’t aware that it was a scholarahip I thought it was just automatically deducted. Can any current students shed light on this process ?

Question for those who are accepted but still waiting to hear back from other schools. Considering a lot of waitlist movement happens for all schools following April 30th and MSUCOM is requiring a hefty tuition payment on May 1st is there any way around this? I highly doubt they refund payment if you bail on the school ya know

Question for those who are accepted but still waiting to hear back from other schools. Considering a lot of waitlist movement happens for all schools following April 30th and MSUCOM is requiring a hefty tuition payment on May 1st is there any way around this? I highly doubt they refund payment if you bail on the school ya know
What tuition payment are you talking about exactly? I was just accepted earlier this week so I haven't even had an opportunity to get my FAFSA in...

I believe tuition is 'refunded' based on the percentage of the semester that you have completed. Definitely a question to ask financial aid if this is a situation you think you'll find yourself in, however.

I believe tuition is 'refunded' based on the percentage of the semester that you have completed. Definitely a question to ask financial aid if this is a situation you think you'll find yourself in, however.
I actually just did some digging and you're right. Refund up to 1/4 way through the semester

Is there a drug screen before we matriculate? And if there is does it include nicotine? As most hospitals are now going anti nicotine.

Is there a drug screen before we matriculate? And if there is does it include nicotine? As most hospitals are now going anti nicotine.
Drug screens are usually in the last semester of your second year (so there's no pre-admission drug screen). However I believe they reserve the right to test individuals at any time if they have concerns. I don't believe they care about nicotine in that one but it's certainly something that would be a problem for many residencies.

Drug screens are usually in the last semester of your second year (so there's no pre-admission drug screen). However I believe they reserve the right to test individuals at any time if they have concerns. I don't believe they care about nicotine in that one but it's certainly something that would be a problem for many residencies.
Alright sweet that sounds good, I was just asking because I had to do it for my job and I wasn’t sure if it was program rules or hospital rules when it comes to our drug test, thank you!!

I got my acceptance at the beginning of December and was waitlisted for my first choice site, the Detroit Campus (placed at EL). Anyone get moved to their first choice site, know the chances of movement or up to when it can change? In the process of apartment searches in EL and would rather hold off on signing a lease if the chances are good.

Okay, thanks! Did you send it over after you got your fingerprints done or just one you sent before booking the appointment? Since the operator wrote on it during the appointment, I haven't found how to send it over castlebranch. Though my "eligible for placement" box is still incomplete so I'm not sure if I'm just waiting on them.
When I did mine, the operator just sent it right over. It took a few days but I didn't have to do anything else on my end. I'd go into castlebranch and make sure you fill in the date you got your fingerprints done.

Last edited:
I got my acceptance at the beginning of December and was waitlisted for my first choice site, the Detroit Campus (placed at EL). Anyone get moved to their first choice site, know the chances of movement or up to when it can change? In the process of apartment searches in EL and would rather hold off on signing a lease if the chances are good.
I know someone who got accepted in August and was placed on the Detroit waitlist. She has still yet to be moved off and recently signed a lease for an apartment for EL. I think the chances of getting taken off the WL at Detroit isn't strong.

I know someone who got accepted in August and was placed on the Detroit waitlist. She has still yet to be moved off and recently signed a lease for an apartment for EL. I think the chances of getting taken off the WL at Detroit isn't strong.
Thank you!

Will be withdrawing my acceptance today. Hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist!