2017-2018 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
precom? how are you guys signing up for that?

The link to sign up is in the newsletter OUHCOM sent out I think like a week ago. Check your spam, that's where I found the newsletter.

Members don't see this ad.

Are they still giving out IIs? And typically how far in advance do they schedule?

I think I got my II three weeks in advance, but I was also in the first group to interview, so it may be different compared to getting more into interview season. And I have no idea how long they going into the year still giving out interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
It is a two day interview! Can I ask how many people you interviewed with? Also, I have read that they will inform you of your status within a week of your interview, is that the same for TCC? I'm excited, and nervous!

I found out the Monday after my interview that I got into OUHCOM, and I believe we find out if we get accepted to TCC in mid to late February.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are they still giving out IIs? And typically how far in advance do they schedule?
I recently got an interview and had about two weeks notice before my interview date.

Submitted my secondary in July and just got an email today saying that it was marked complete and under review..!

Can you not get a II if you haven't received that email? Been complete since around August and my portal also says 'marked complete and under review'.

Just got a call this morning. Accepted! Can’t wait!

Reactions: 9 users
Received call on Sunday: Accepted to Athens, wait-listed for Cleveland. The interview day was very well organized and the admissions staff were great. Good luck to those who will interview in the coming weeks.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if we need an iPad or if any students use an iPad during lecture/ class activities?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we need an iPad or if any students use an iPad during lecture/ class activities?
Current first year. I know that the curriculum is changing, but currently we are not required to have an iPad. You 100% will need a laptop because you will use it every day. Some students have iPad pros, but every student seems to also have a laptop. The exams that you take as well as quizzes are all done on a computer and you will need to download testing software on your computer once school starts in August.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to all acceptances. PM me if you want honest review of this school, whether you may have better options elsewhere, and what to expect moving forward in your career. I am willing to give guidance to whoever wants it.

What apartment complexes do most med students live in?

Reactions: 3 users
What apartment complexes do most med students live in?

A lot of the med students either live in The Summit, University courtyard, or Athens station. Other than that, students find random apartments around Athens. Let me know if any of you have any specific questions about the Athens campus or the school! I’m happy to help when I have a free minute.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does HCOM require BLS certification?
We did it once the school year started this past year. They brought people to teach us on campus. I imagine they will do it the same for next year.

Got my interview invitation on 2/27. My date is 3/23. I can feel my heartbeat vibrations in my mouth...... lol. Super nervous.

Got my interview invitation on 2/27. My date is 3/23. I can feel my heartbeat vibrations in my mouth...... lol. Super nervous.

Congrats! By any chance is that for waitlist? I called them last week and ask when waist list invites go out and they said most likely if I interview after March 16, then thats for a waitlist spot. Did they specify that in the invite to you?

No they didn’t. They just sent me the regular email like everyone else on this tread. However, I was scheduled initially for March 9th but they later postponed it for unknown reasons.

I am currently accepted for the Athens campus and waitlisted for Cleveland. Any idea of when we will find out if we are accepted at the other campuses?

I am currently accepted for the Athens campus and waitlisted for Cleveland. Any idea of when we will find out if we are accepted at the other campuses?
If it is like last year, they will start pulling people of the wait-list in the middle of May

Recommended laptop for class?
Any laptop will do. Macbooks are okay too. Something like the ipad pro won't be enough as you have to be able to download exam software on it called examplify. A lot of people have surface books, surface pros, macbook air, pros, and many different other computers. Some people find a touch screen useful for taking notes on power points.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong. I thought if we were waitlisted or declined we are allowed to reach out and ask for feedback on what we can improve. Is this true? If so who should I contact?

I was accepted on 1/29 and still have not recieve information about the facebook group. Has anyone else recieved information on this yet?

I was accepted on 1/29 and still have not recieve information about the facebook group. Has anyone else recieved information on this yet?

Yes. Check your spam folder for a newsletter from OUHCOM. That's where it ended up for me and it has the info on the FB pages.

I just got offered an interview for March 23rd! I'm only interviewing for the Dublin campus. Does anyone have any idea if this is for a waitlist spot or if I could be directly accepted? The email doesn't specify

Reactions: 1 users
I just got offered an interview for March 23rd! I'm only interviewing for the Dublin campus. Does anyone have any idea if this is for a waitlist spot or if I could be directly accepted? The email doesn't specify
When (time and day) did you received the invite?

So what are the pro's/con's of Dublin vs Athens campus? Dublin has newer facilities, no undergrads, maybe more professional atmosphere, location with all the fun of Columbus, but probably higher cost of living and less faculty on campus? I wonder how much study space there is. Anyone have input?

So what are the pro's/con's of Dublin vs Athens campus? Dublin has newer facilities, no undergrads, maybe more professional atmosphere, location with all the fun of Columbus, but probably higher cost of living and less faculty on campus? I wonder how much study space there is. Anyone have input?
Each campus gets the same lectures. I would say 50% of lectures come from Athens, 30-35% from Dublin and the remainder of the lectures are from Cleveland. Regardless of where the lecture is, the broadcasting to the other campus goes off without a hitch 99.9% of the time. As far as facilities Dublin and Cleveland are newer (and thus probably considered better) and the environment is definitely more professional. Dublin and and Cleveland have business casual dress codes during business hours while Athens does not have any dress code. As far as study space you are not limited on the Dublin Campus. You can access the building 24/7 with your badge and there is plenty of places to study. A solid amount of people choose to study at the school, but the vast majority of people elect to study at home. (Most people also choose not to go to live lectures and instead watch them at home/at the school as all lectures are recorded). There are 100% more faculty on the Athens campus, but with only ~50 classmates in Dublin you interact very closely with the facility.

I do not think that cost of living is any more here in Dublin. I have a two bedroom that cost 1000 total and is less than 10 minutes from the school. At Dublin you don't pay for parking and never have an issue with having to find a spot. As far as fun goes I would say that the Athens campus has more of that to go around as they have the college bars to go out to more. There isn't much around Dublin in terms of night life. A fair amount of students live in the Downtown area of Columbus, but have to battle traffic on days that they come to school . Let me know if you have any more questions.

When (time and day) did you received the invite?
At our interview day they told us they would specify in the email if you were interviewing for a waitlist spot! So either it would have been on the email or they will tell you in person.

It really comes down to where you want to be! Do you want an urban or rural setting. Dublin you are locked in all 4 years at Dublin. Athens you get the option to move after 2 because you can pick clinicals anywhere! So just take the time try to visit both cities and tour both campuses and then make the decision.