2022-2023 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing here. Im starting to lose hope. Im already looking for housing for my other A just in case.
May 15 is coming soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I am a rising second year at OU-HCOM in Athens and I just wanted to get on here and give you hope (this happened to my class I can’t speak on previous years because I have no clue) but we literally had people getting off the waitlist the same week as orientation. I know that’s stressful but is possible up until the first day of class (Aug 28). So don’t give up if you really want it (which I know y’all do) keep the faith and keep fighting! Message me if you have any questions

Hey everyone! I am a rising second year at OU-HCOM in Athens and I just wanted to get on here and give you hope (this happened to my class I can’t speak on previous years because I have no clue) but we literally had people getting off the waitlist the same week as orientation. I know that’s stressful but is possible up until the first day of class (Aug 28). So don’t give up if you really want it (which I know y’all do) keep the faith and keep fighting! Message me if you have any questions
oh no thats not good for me 😭😭 I'm accepted at another DO school that has orientation july 23-24. I'm grateful to have an acceptance but I would love OU. What would happen if I'm in another state, starting school there, and get into OU? Can I not go to OU anymore? The other DO school and OU start classes a whole month apart

oh no thats not good for me 😭😭 I'm accepted at another DO school that has orientation july 23-24. I'm grateful to have an acceptance but I would love OU. What would happen if I'm in another state, starting school there, and get into OU? Can I not go to OU anymore? The other DO school and OU start classes a whole month apart
in the same boat, during interview they said that if you start a med school then they will not be able to accept you to OU since they don’t want to take a student from a school that has already begun. However if you are accepted to a school and didn’t start yet then OU will be able to accept you.

in the same boat, during interview they said that if you start a med school then they will not be able to accept you to OU since they don’t want to take a student from a school that has already begun. However if you are accepted to a school and didn’t start yet then OU will be able to accept you.
ugh that sucks. thanks for responding

I would reach out to Jill Harmen and tell her exactly what you just told me

Got accepted off the waitlist about 45 minutes ago to the Dublin campus!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I would reach out to Jill Harmen and tell her exactly what you just told me
I was considering reaching out to Jill Hartman or Terry Porter to do that, because I am also in the same boat as well. Do you think that it will help to reach out and explain?

Reactions: 1 users
ugh that sucks. thanks for responding

If they call you, I wouldn’t say that you were enrolled in another school if it meant losing your spot at OU.
I’m in the same boat as well. I just got an apartment at my other A, but I would give it up on the spot if they gave me an A at OU.

Last edited:
I was considering reaching out to Jill Hartman or Terry Porter to do that, because I am also in the same boat as well. Do you think that it will help to reach out and explain?
They're very nice. I don't think it would hurt to explain your situation. Remember to stay calm and collected, don't come across as entitled or desperate.

They may politely offer advice but remember they are not obligated to disclose their internal waitlist rankings nor move your spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
They're very nice. I don't think it would hurt to explain your situation. Remember to stay calm and collected, don't come across as entitled or desperate.

They may politely offer advice but remember they are not obligated to disclose their internal waitlist rankings nor move your spot.
Thanks for the advice!

If they call you, I wouldn’t say that you were enrolled in another school if it meant losing your spot at OU.
I’m in the same boat as well. I just got an apartment at my other A, but I would give it up on the spot if they gave me an A at OU.
So I emailed Jill Harman. She said that other schools have 'stolen' students from OUHCOM in the first week of classes, so they refuse to do that to other schools. Jill said if they call you in July/ August, they will first ask if you are currently taking classes at another medical school. If the answer is yes then they will not proceed. I don't recommend lying to OU if you start school somewhere else. From her email, Jill seemed very serious about it. She then asked me what day does my other school start and I told her. She said that 'they'll try to get me off the waitlist before then' but seemed very vague besides that

So I emailed Jill Harman. She said that other schools have 'stolen' students from OUHCOM in the first week of classes, so they refuse to do that to other schools. Jill said if they call you in July/ August, they will first ask if you are currently taking classes at another medical school. If the answer is yes then they will not proceed. I don't recommend lying to OU if you start school somewhere else. From her email, Jill seemed very serious about it. She then asked me what day does my other school start and I told her. She said that 'they'll try to get me off the waitlist before then' but seemed very vague besides that
sorry let me clarify. She outlined a difference between 'holding an acceptance at another school' vs 'actively attending another medical school'. if you have an A somewhere else and OU calls you're fine. Just in my case I would be a month in at another school when OU starts, so thats 'actively attending'

Yes absolutely I would just put them on the same email and explain

Got accepted off the waitlist about 45 minutes ago to the Dublin campus!!
Ayooo welcome to the dublin fam!

*If you have questions, I'm a rising third year here and can help if you need anything

nothing I'm feeling real neurotic right now
I was just at their PreDoc in person campus so for the past two days so that’s probably why there hasn’t been much the past two days. All of the admissions people were there

Reactions: 2 users
another day, no call, another disappointment

well each acceptance prior to June 14th gets 2 weeks to make their decision right? so even if the accepted peeps aren't sure if they want to go to OUHCOM or another school they were accepted to, they have the right to hold their cards until they want to fold them (within admissions rules). patience is a virtue, young grasshopper

well each acceptance prior to June 14th gets 2 weeks to make their decision right? so even if the accepted peeps aren't sure if they want to go to OUHCOM or another school they were accepted to, they have the right to hold their cards until they want to fold them (within admissions rules). patience is a virtue, young grasshopper
june 14th?? someone told me may 15th 😭😭

I'm pretty sure someone in my first group was pulled off the waitlist in June/July at Dublin and she's excelling & taking boards this month. Keep the faith everyone :)

When they say the hardest part is getting in, they're right. You guys got this!

Fingers crossed you all hear good news soon

We are also given first year COMrades (mentees) as second years, and my assumption is they wouldn't give those until the class was fully decided. I have a couple rising second year friends and they haven't mentioned getting those yet so pretty sure there's still going to be movement.

I know it is hard to keep waiting, but I promise one day all your dreams will come true (+ the hard work will be worth it.)

• Care
We are also given first year COMrades (mentees) as second years, and my assumption is they wouldn't give those until the class was fully decided. I have a couple rising second year friends and they haven't mentioned getting those yet so pretty sure there's still going to be movement.

I know it is hard to keep waiting, but I promise one day all your dreams will come true (+ the hard work will be worth it.)
aww COMrades is so cute

aww COMrades is so cute
Lol yes. The name is cute haha. I also really like the program. You get a built in close friend & mentor as soon as you join! Really appreciate both my third year and first year COMrades. Couldn't ask for two better/kinder/more hardworking humans to be in my life.

Looking forward to all of you having the same experience soon :)

• Care
Lol yes. The name is cute haha. I also really like the program. You get a built in close friend & mentor as soon as you join! Really appreciate both my third year and first year COMrades. Couldn't ask for two better/kinder/more hardworking humans to be in my life.

Looking forward to all of you having the same experience soon :)
if i can get off this WL purgatory 🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Care
praying for movement this week
Honestly same. I’m losing it. Horrible week, family death, some family moved away, and then i just got friend zoned. So yah crazy stupid week. This is the only thing I’m looking towards. Sorry I’m ranting I just didn’t know what to do.

• Care
Honestly same. I’m losing it. Horrible week, family death, some family moved away, and then i just got friend zoned. So yah crazy stupid week. This is the only thing I’m looking towards. Sorry I’m ranting I just didn’t know what to do.
That's a lot to deal with when waitlist is on your mind. Surround yourself with people willing to listen and spend quality time with you. Those types are there, but it may take a few convo's to find who it is in your group.

That's a lot to deal with when waitlist is on your mind. Surround yourself with people willing to listen and spend quality time with you. Those types are there, but it may take a few convo's to find who it is in your group.
Thanks. I’m trying.

• Care
I contacted admissions and was told there has been a little bit of movement but most happens in June and it begins to taper off again in July!

idk if it means anything to anyone but I had an interview on 4/11 and got a phone call last week and was offered to do their post-bacc program

Manifesting positive vibes for everyone this week :)

Fingers crossed for you guys!

Reactions: 4 users
welp. tried to update my admissions contact on life events/prereq classwork and he's out til 6/20. i was so upset that i slapped papers on my desk before recycling them. man's been working hard, so I'm glad he's getting a vacation.:beat: thoughts on reaching out to another admissions rep in the interim? the rep will "have limited access to email during absence and will reply upon return". nothing in the email needs immediate attention (ie. good standings in the course, family update, hobby update), but even I'm hesitant to wait 12 days in movement season.

welp. tried to update my admissions contact on life events/prereq classwork and he's out til 6/20. i was so upset that i slapped papers on my desk before recycling them. man's been working hard, so I'm glad he's getting a vacation.:beat: thoughts on reaching out to another admissions rep in the interim? the rep will "have limited access to email during absence and will reply upon return". nothing in the email needs immediate attention (ie. good standings in the course, family update, hobby update), but even I'm hesitant to wait 12 days in movement season.
Who’s out of the office?

guys…how is it almost mid june lol when will we see movement I am stressing so bad