2022-2023 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
guys…how is it almost mid june lol when will we see movement I am stressing so bad
I am stressing too. I feel like there has been movement just haven’t seen any on SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Bob Esponja Fire GIF

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
called admissions and they had the simple solution of emailing the person who picked up my update, and they updated the file no problem 👍🏼

Reactions: 1 user
anyone hear anything this week?
Nothing yet. I’m depressed now. But I found out that the class is already filled and once someone drops their seat then hopefully a spot would open up. But no idea when someone is going to drop their seat, I just hope a lot of them do, so we all on the waitlist can get in.

Nothing yet. I’m depressed now. But I found out that the class is already filled and once someone drops their seat then hopefully a spot would open up. But no idea when someone is going to drop their seat, I just hope a lot of them do, so we all on the waitlist can get in.

did you find out recently that the class is filled? I think it was filled for a while that’s why there hasn’t been too much movement

"So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today." Go ahead and finish those apps for this next cycle if you have the money. If you can't get past the worry, sit on your neighborhood curb and collect your thoughts before finishing today's work. keep your head up fam
(for context, this is coming from a guy whose wife is having contractions a month early, doesn't have enough money to dish at another 20 schools, just got a pile of 500 CT/PFT/PET/polysomnogram auths put on his plate day 1 of being a scribe/?PSR? combo, wondering if completing this gen chem 2 prereq will make a difference in my app until the '24-'25 cycle, and getting jaded on the 3rd go around. but i gotta keep telling myself this day in and day out)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
the bunch of us are definite yeses for the program, and mad props to those who passed their A on to the next early on. anyway you cut the cheese, this might be an excellent time to take a gap year after trying for so long. I've been wanting to go back out west to just enjoy it for once instead of speed run it since i ran out of PTO

Members don't see this ad :)
you wanna know what's crazy? I've been chasing this dream of being a physician for years, and my brother in law, two years younger than me, is about to start his 4th year, and my friends 2 years ahead of me, from collegiate swimming, are already in their residencies. talk about bringing up the anchor man 😮‍💨 but I keep running into scenarios that keep me going.

take this past month for instance, date 'unknown'. I'm working in sleep clinic. The doc I work with is taking quality time with every patient, even the ones that balk at any medical treatment plan. We come to this last patient who's having hard time with PAP therapy, short term memory, and mask application. The pt mentions an extensive history of crack use in the middle of the visit, but has appeared coherent the entire time with no sign of deviation from aaox3 or mentation. Doc finishes the visit. Patient is being checked out. But the entire visit, pt described a mask shape that didn't exist (I think this was because it was on upside-down as pt stated giving up easily with new things, and never has a mask existed that had an opening where pt was claiming). I asked the doc about this, but his following remarks came from past biases and he headed out for the day. So I followed up with the MA doing discharge to get that fit manual printed in case pt forgets. I have no clue if it'll help with the mask application problem, and maybe doc was right and the pt will understand fit without the manual. but heck, maybe it will. and that keeps me going.

and with that, let's get off the topic of waitlist purgatory for a hot sec. what keeps you people going?
will ferrell idk GIF

you wanna know what's crazy? I've been chasing this dream of being a physician for years, and my brother in law, two years younger than me, is about to start his 4th year, and my friends 2 years ahead of me, from collegiate swimming, are already in their residencies. talk about bringing up the anchor man 😮‍💨 but I keep running into scenarios that keep me going.

take this past month for instance, date 'unknown'. I'm working in sleep clinic. The doc I work with is taking quality time with every patient, even the ones that balk at any medical treatment plan. We come to this last patient who's having hard time with PAP therapy, short term memory, and mask application. The pt mentions an extensive history of crack use in the middle of the visit, but has appeared coherent the entire time with no sign of deviation from aaox3 or mentation. Doc finishes the visit. Patient is being checked out. But the entire visit, pt described a mask shape that didn't exist (I think this was because it was on upside-down as pt stated giving up easily with new things, and never has a mask existed that had an opening where pt was claiming). I asked the doc about this, but his following remarks came from past biases and he headed out for the day. So I followed up with the MA doing discharge to get that fit manual printed in case pt forgets. I have no clue if it'll help with the mask application problem, and maybe doc was right and the pt will understand fit without the manual. but heck, maybe it will. and that keeps me going.

and with that, let's get off the topic of waitlist purgatory for a hot sec. what keeps you people going?
will ferrell idk GIF
I'm 5 years older than most of my classmates here in Dublin. And my undergrad friends who went into medicine are already 2 years into their residencies.

Don't give up, my friend. It all works out eventually. I made it, so you will too.

I'm actually the oldest female in the rising third year class in Dublin so believe me I get it

• Care
I'm 5 years older than most of my classmates here in Dublin. And my undergrad friends who went into medicine are already 2 years into their residencies.

Don't give up, my friend. It all works out eventually. I made it, so you will too.

I'm actually the oldest female in the rising third year class in Dublin so believe me I get it
I’m with you on this. It’s easy for the path to medical school to feel like a race at times when you compare your life to others (I’m guilty of this). I had plans to graduate college and start medical school right after that, but it didn’t go the way I planned. In the end, it may have been better it went that way despite the challenges.

It doesn’t make it easy though. I’m sure there are plenty of physicians out there who are happy they didn’t quit during the challenging times.

• Care

will ferrell idk GIF
I graduated 3 years ago in COVID, and all my classmates that are all gunners and crazy toxic premeds are either almost done with medical school or in the middle of it. My cousins whose parents are doctors said I would never make it are also now in medical school and or about graduating soon. They are also all younger than me by a year or 2-3. Currently just doing research that’s just going and working in a clinic to pay off undergrad loans (thank god is very low due to academic scholarship). I never felt burned out due to work, however now all of a sudden I do, but maybe because I thought I would be able to get in by now, and got my hopes up to high, since this is the only school that gave me a chance to prove myself worthy. I guess, idk. What keeps me going is because I’m really passionate about helping others. I know it sounds cliche, but yah.

• Care
I graduated 3 years ago in COVID, and all my classmates that are all gunners and crazy toxic premeds are either almost done with medical school or in the middle of it. My cousins whose parents are doctors said I would never make it are also now in medical school and or about graduating soon. They are also all younger than me by a year or 2-3. Currently just doing research that’s just going and working in a clinic to pay off undergrad loans (thank god is very low due to academic scholarship). I never felt burned out due to work, however now all of a sudden I do, but maybe because I thought I would be able to get in by now, and got my hopes up to high, since this is the only school that gave me a chance to prove myself worthy. I guess, idk. What keeps me going is because I’m really passionate about helping others. I know it sounds cliche, but yah.
Even if it isn't this cycle, I'm excited for the day when you are accepted somewhere and you prove your cousins' parents wrong.

• Care
Even if it isn't this cycle, I'm excited for the day when you are accepted somewhere and you prove your cousins' parents wrong.
It’s not only them, I feel like now it’s even my own parents. Last night they told me I should just give up and focus on other things. But how can I? I don’t want to. I made this my final plan, no plan b. I worked my butt off with jobs, school, extra curriculard that I’m passionate about and now idk. I just really hope I get in this cycle. I can’t afford another cycle. It’s my 3rd cycle as well. The only thing holding me back tbh is my mcat. It’s very low.

I resonate with everyone replying, it really is so hard waiting for so long. I got waitlisted back in December which sucks lol I feel like i’ve been waiting forever. After trying so hard I just want this one win. I have such a good feeling about HCOM but it just sucks to constantly hear don’t count us out and you are on our radar.

I agree with you on that “After trying so hard I just want this one win. I have such a good feeling about HCOM but it just sucks to constantly hear don’t count us out and you are on our radar.”

Does anyone know how many ppl are on the waitlist? How it is ranked, etc?

I think like over 100 people on the WL and 60-70 get off? Also you’re ranked after your interview, and if you update them and all that stuff and show more interest they would have re ranked you higher or lower on the WL after their meeting on May 2nd.

I think like over 100 people on the WL and 60-70 get off? Also you’re ranked after your interview, and if you update them and all that stuff and show more interest they would have re ranked you higher or lower on the WL after their meeting on May 2nd.
That makes a lot of sense, thank you.

Hi guys I just wanted to say I just got into the Cleveland campus! I have been checking this page everyday so I wanted to let you guys all know there is movement!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hi guys I just wanted to say I just got into the Cleveland campus! I have been checking this page everyday so I wanted to let you guys all know there is movement!
congrats future classmate!

I resonate with everyone replying, it really is so hard waiting for so long. I got waitlisted back in December which sucks lol I feel like i’ve been waiting forever. After trying so hard I just want this one win. I have such a good feeling about HCOM but it just sucks to constantly hear don’t count us out and you are on our radar.
As a second year here at HCOM, I know a good bit of classmates that struggled with being waitlisted for a while. I don’t know the exact amount that got off the waitlist but there was a good amount of movement so hang in there👍.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Per Tyler, (he just got back from vacay), the waitlist movement right now was described as "typical movement." So based on this and these A's in the thread, I'd predict that most of us on the waitlist would be accepted this cycle. :horns:

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you all know that I was also accepted into the Cleveland campus earlier, so it looks like movement is happening more!

• Love
Per Tyler, (he just got back from vacay), the waitlist movement right now was described as "typical movement." So based on this and these A's in the thread, I'd predict that most of us on the waitlist would be accepted this cycle. :horns:
I really hope so. I wish there was some movement in Athens already, and we all get in.

I was accepted to the Cleveland campus last week! Would definitely recommend calling admissions and sending a letter of intent!

I was accepted to the Cleveland campus last week! Would definitely recommend calling admissions and sending a letter of intent!
you're talking about those already accepted ya? (just making sure I'm not missing anything in the meantime)

you're talking about those already accepted ya? (just making sure I'm not missing anything in the meantime)

do you mean those who were accepted to athens and still WL for cle? maybe they’re going through those applicants first to offer seats im not sure

Generally you send in letters of intent to schools you really want to go to but haven't been accepted into yet

Edit: don't send more than one because you're essentially saying that if they accept you, you're 100% going there.

Generally you send in letters of intent to schools you really want to go to but haven't been accepted into yet

Edit: don't send more than one because you're essentially saying that if they accept you, you're 100% going there.
Imma out myself real quick. Is this letter more specific than "And if I may, I would like to say that I'd be a definite yes for OUHCOM if the invitation were extended my way." on a update email?

Imma out myself real quick. Is this letter more specific than "And if I may, I would like to say that I'd be a definite yes for OUHCOM if the invitation were extended my way." on a update email?
This was the advice I was given when someone edited mine:

Honestly, just having a "I 100% plan to matriculate if I am accepted" will already be sufficient to get the message of "I have a strong intention of going there" across. Some additional fluff can be added, but the most important part of your letter that will carry the most weight and influence the decision of the committee is the sentence underlined above.

You can even title the subject title as "Letter of Intent and App Updates - Insert Name" and that's all they have to read honestly to leave a "this student will accept our offer" memo on your app.

Then, you can also have another section for updates. "Also, I would like to provide the committee on significant updates. First, this. We did ___ and this ____. Secondly, I did ____ because _____. Etc."

And just end with a simple "Thank you again for considering my application. Again, I would be deeply honored if I am selected to attend HCOM. I look forward to hearing from you!"

-------

I think mainly you're just showing that you would 100% go to their school if you were provided with an acceptance. Which is nice for them, because then they don't have to try and keep refilling the same spot as people decide they don't want their seat etc etc.

I actually think this is the document I looked at two years ago haha:

This was the advice I was given when someone edited mine:

Honestly, just having a "I 100% plan to matriculate if I am accepted" will already be sufficient to get the message of "I have a strong intention of going there" across. Some additional fluff can be added, but the most important part of your letter that will carry the most weight and influence the decision of the committee is the sentence underlined above.

You can even title the subject title as "Letter of Intent and App Updates - Insert Name" and that's all they have to read honestly to leave a "this student will accept our offer" memo on your app.

Then, you can also have another section for updates. "Also, I would like to provide the committee on significant updates. First, this. We did ___ and this ____. Secondly, I did ____ because _____. Etc."

And just end with a simple "Thank you again for considering my application. Again, I would be deeply honored if I am selected to attend HCOM. I look forward to hearing from you!"

-------

I think mainly you're just showing that you would 100% go to their school if you were provided with an acceptance. Which is nice for them, because then they don't have to try and keep refilling the same spot as people decide they don't want their seat etc etc.

I actually think this is the document I looked at two years ago haha:
See I sent this a while ago. And now just waiting on HCOM to open some seats haha

See I sent this a while ago. And now just waiting on HCOM to open some seats haha
I will say that I sent my LOI to another school and I'm here at HCOM so it doesn't meant it necessarily works. Just shows your commitment and dedication to the school.

I will say that I sent my LOI to another school and I'm here at HCOM so it doesn't meant it necessarily works. Just shows your commitment and dedication to the school.
Yah I know, I just hope this works cuz this is where I wanna be.

• Care
I can't believe it, but I was taken off the WL today for the Dublin Campus!
I am now scrambling to find housing in a week because I was going to move next week to another state for med school. I am stressed but happy not to have to be moving across the country. I also got into my top choice, DO school and location. It looks like I will be staying in Columbus for the next 4 years!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I can't believe it, but I was taken off the WL today for the Dublin Campus!
I am now scrambling to find housing in a week because I was going to move next week to another state for med school. I am stressed but happy not to have to be moving across the country. I also got into my top choice, DO school and location. It looks like I will be staying in Columbus for the next 4 years!
congrats by all means! but also, have I made a error in thinking that I'd stay local for 2 years then do rotations at other locations across the state for 2 years prior to graduating? or is it simply dependent?

congrats by all means! but also, have I made a error in thinking that I'd stay local for 2 years then do rotations at other locations across the state for 2 years prior to graduating? or is it simply dependent?
The nice thing about the Dublin Campus, is that rotations are local.

• Love
Hey everyone, just wanted to let you all know that I was also accepted into the Cleveland campus earlier, so it looks like movement is happening more!
congrats as well to you too, future classmate!