2021-2022 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pre ii R

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I hope that you received an acceptance somewhere else! And if not, keep going my friend. It is going to happen for you eventually.

I'm in med school, and I can 100% say that the hardest part is getting in. You're going to crush it when that acceptance comes in.

I will also say that finals are next week for 1st years, so it might not be until after next week that people start coming off the WL. (That actually puts it around the time when I was taken off in early May.) So if you don't hear back next week, that's not a bad sign at all. Staff is probably more focused on finishing up with students and finals than the incoming students.

My fingers are crossed for all of you.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
(Although it’s still early due to finals) anyone hear any movement yet?

Finals are over now, so I hope you guys start hearing soon!

I hope to see some of you this fall (at least the dublin people)!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Don't believe there has been any movement yet, but next week for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! Does anyone know if OUHCOM offers extensions to their May 1st deposit deadline? I am awaiting decisions/financial aid from other institutions and would love to have all this information prior to making a decision to enroll

Hi everyone! Does anyone know if OUHCOM offers extensions to their May 1st deposit deadline? I am awaiting decisions/financial aid from other institutions and would love to have all this information prior to making a decision to enroll
You can ask lol

• Haha
2 weeks till my mcat retake.... I really hope I hear back about my wl decision before then

2 weeks till my mcat retake.... I really hope I hear back about my wl decision before then
My fingers are crossed for you! I would prep to retake it just in case, but I'm hoping the information comes in before then.

Absolutely, just curious if anyone had already done so to save from sending another email to admissions!
100% I would just email them

Withdrew from the Cleveland campus today. Good luck everyone! This is a great school :)

• Love
Has anyone heard anything about waitlist movement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if this helps, but I interviewed mid-march and was accepted off the waitlist in mid-June last year. I spoke to a couple other members in my group who had similar timeline as mine. Currently on summer break now.

Reactions: 3 users
Was hoping this week would be the week for me based on years past movement…. Hard since this is by far my #1 school. Manifesting this week brings an A

• Care
Was hoping this week would be the week for me based on years past movement…. Hard since this is by far my #1 school. Manifesting this week brings an A
I don't believe anyone will really hear back until next week(like after the week of the 18th).

I don't believe anyone will really hear back until next week(like after the week of the 18th).
Any reason you have this inclination or did your receive that info from the school?

Any reason you have this inclination or did your receive that info from the school?
Traffic guidelines say that info about how many seats people hold (schools they've paid deposits to) will be sent to schools on the 15th. That's when a lot of movement will be because schools will be able to rescind offers, so those with multiple acceptances will most likely drop some and commit.

For those of you who are also still waiting to come off the waitlist: I just got a call from a Cleveland number calling about their post bacc program. It seems like they are going through candidates in the alternate list who are good fits to have this as a good back up option. They did specifically say that they haven't started pulling off the alternate list just yet and there is still plenty of time to come off of there, but that one way or another they want me at HCOM (which felt so good to hear, I needed that validation after this cycle ngl). Just thought I'd share for those of you waiting to hear back as well!!! If you're anything like me, you've been checking this page 10 times a day since last week hoping for some updates lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys does anyone know when we get the financial aid package so we can see how much in loans we need to take out?

Hey guys does anyone know when we get the financial aid package so we can see how much in loans we need to take out?
I don't believe any of us have been given information around when we hear from financial aid on scholarships; however, they noted in the May InTouch newsletter that the Cost of Attendance for 2022-2023 will be finalized closer to the end of May/beginning of June.

So as long as you have done steps 1-5 on the financial aid page I would hold tight till the end of the month or early June to see what your final burden will be for OMS 1 before accepting the Stafford loans they post and applying for any needed Federal GradPLUS loans.

Side note - We actually might need an Ohio ID/PIP to do step 5 on the financial aid requirements, but those aren't being given to us until Mid-May. I bet we get them sometime next week if I had to guess.

I don't believe any of us have been given information around when we hear from financial aid on scholarships; however, they noted in the May InTouch newsletter that the Cost of Attendance for 2022-2023 will be finalized closer to the end of May/beginning of June.

So as long as you have done steps 1-5 on the financial aid page I would hold tight till the end of the month or early June to see what your final burden will be for OMS 1 before accepting the Stafford loans they post and applying for any needed Federal GradPLUS loans.

Side note - We actually might need an Ohio ID/PIP to do step 5 on the financial aid requirements, but those aren't being given to us until Mid-May. I bet we get them sometime next week if I had to guess.
Looks like you need it for step 4 as well.

Did you complete the entrance counseling already even though the estimated cost of attendance that populates is incorrect on the website?

Did you complete the entrance counseling already even though the estimated cost of attendance that populates is incorrect on the website?
I did go ahead and do it. I think the main thing with this is that notifies HCOM that you have reviewed/completed the counseling before they disperse any loans, but it also gives you some insight into repayment plans after graduation.

The step 4 eye opener was really helpful in my opinion. I went ahead added up my expected burden based off the 2021-2022 budget (attached). The eye opener calculates this for you, but I also added my projected expenses into excel so that I can adjust once I know the final tuition cost as well as any other items I included in my loan burden.

Attachments

• OUHCOM Educational budget.pdf
    183.7 KB · Views: 92
Hi everyone! Current 2nd year student at the Cleveland campus enjoying summer break. Let me know if you have any questions!

I did go ahead and do it. I think the main thing with this is that notifies HCOM that you have reviewed/completed the counseling before they disperse any loans, but it also gives you some insight into repayment plans after graduation.

The step 4 eye opener was really helpful in my opinion. I went ahead added up my expected burden based off the 2021-2022 budget (attached). The eye opener calculates this for you, but I also added my projected expenses into excel so that I can adjust once I know the final tuition cost as well as any other items I included in my loan burden.
Don't we need to know how much in scholarships we got for that? I'm sure if we get a decent chunk of our tuition off that would have a large impact on the interest we will be accruing on our loans.

Don't we need to know how much in scholarships we got for that? I'm sure if we get a decent chunk of our tuition off that would have a large impact on the interest we will be accruing on our loans.
It definitely would, but this exercise should not impact the amount of loans that will be distributed to you. This is just something we are doing to build awareness and financial literacy. You could plug in different amounts multiple times and its just going to populate theoretical loan amounts with and without interest and what the repayment plan would like over 10 years.

You can certainly hold off on it till you have your financial package, but it won't really hurt you to go ahead and do it now either. It is possible to go ahead and submit this without an Ohio ID as well. It seems like this is really just a formality that has to be checked off so we at least have an idea of the loan amount we are all going to walk away with in four years.

It definitely would, but this exercise should not impact the amount of loans that will be distributed to you. This is just something we are doing to build awareness and financial literacy. You could plug in different amounts multiple times and its just going to populate theoretical loan amounts with and without interest and what the repayment plan would like over 10 years.

You can certainly hold off on it till you have your financial package, but it won't really hurt you to go ahead and do it now either. It is possible to go ahead and submit this without an Ohio ID as well. It seems like this is really just a formality that has to be checked off so we at least have an idea of the loan amount we are all going to walk away with in four years.
It won't let me submit it without the id

It won't let me submit it without the id
Oh bummer! We will get them soon though. I actually put N/A in that field since I don’t have one either, but once I’m assigned one I may long on there and repeat the exercise and submit it again just to be safe.

Definitely Don’t stress about it though. Maybe you’ll get your financial aid packet too here soon and then you’ll have everything you need!

I really hope we see some WL movement this week.... AACOMAS is supposed to send accepted student info to all schools starting the 15th.

I really hope we see some WL movement this week.... AACOMAS is supposed to send accepted student info to all schools starting the 15th.
I’m with you here. I wish we knew more information but we got this they know we’re dedicated to HCOM!!

It usually takes a while to process the withdrawals of admissions and for spots to open up. Give it a couple days for them to clear the backlog!

I really hope there is some WL movement sooner than later. The waiting game is hard especially when all you have are WLs

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Just wanted to let you guys know that I was accepted off the waitlist this afternoon. So it’s started.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Dublin campus. Interviewed Early Feb. Waitlist the day later. Sent in LOI a few weeks later and follow-up update letter two months. GPA (3.98) and MCAT (514). Reapplicant.

• Love
Dublin campus. Interviewed Early Feb. Waitlist the day later. Sent in LOI a few weeks later and follow-up update letter two months. GPA (3.98) and MCAT (514). Reapplicant.
Congrats, friend! Welcome to the dublin family!!! Excited to see you on campus in August!

• Love
Yeah no kidding!! I’m hoping that they aren’t only pulling people with stats that high
If they did that their average MCAT would be pretty close to MD schools. I think they're more focused on taking in students who will stay and practice in Ohio.

Just got pulled off the waitlist for Athens! So excited :D

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Thank you!!! I was 3.6GPA + 510 MCAT, nontraditional and in-state. I interviewed for the waitlist in March.
Congrats!!! Hopefully many of us get to join you with an acceptance soon! 🤞

Hey all, I was browsing the ouhcom website and I noticed the COMLEX 1 pass rate went down 8% from 2019-2020 to 2020-2021 (95% to 87%). Does anyone have an idea as to what caused this? I was pretty surprised to see it.