2020-2021 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh shoot! I’m in. Interviewed 11/11

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I received the presidential scholarship from CUSOM this morning. I submitted my deposit and all my documents last night. I was invited to apply for the scholarship about a week and a half ago and submitted the essay a few days after.
Congrats! That is a great achievement. Thanks for responding.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted earlier today! Interviewed 11/4

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like nobody has been rejected for November interviews. Fingers crossed for us Decembers!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Also got accepted yesterday. Interview date 11/11

Is a letter from a physician required for application? I submitted mine several weeks ago without one. Included science faculty phd and other research/prof recs.

Is a letter from a physician required for application? I submitted mine several weeks ago without one. Included science faculty phd and other research/prof recs.
Unfortunately, yes...a letter from either a DO or MD is required! You can try to find one and then send It as an update to them tho

Just happen to be looking at my complete email and it states that they are not requiring a physician's letter to apply. However, if you are offered an acceptance you will need to have the letter before an offer of acceptance can be extended.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the deposit fee is for this school if you are accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone that interviewed 11/18 heard back yet? They said 4 weeks, but it has been almost 5.

Has anyone that interviewed 11/18 heard back yet? They said 4 weeks, but it has been almost 5.
I also interviewed 11/18. I don't think they are going to get back to us until the new year which is a little frustrating if that's the case.

Hey y'all. I was wondering if I could get some feedback about whether I should be applying to this school with my stats. My GPA is fine, I have a 3.92 cGPA and a 3.90 sGPA. However, on the actual test day for my MCAT I struggled with the new COVID timing (I am a clock watcher I got spooked by the difference) and had a low C/P section of 123. Overall, I made a 503.

I saw some comments about cut-offs for low section scores. Would it be a waste of time to send an application to this school this late in the cycle with a 123 section score on my belt? I have been battling myself and could really use some helpful advice :)

Hi y’all! Has anyone who was placed on hold to receive fall grades before getting a secondary receive one yet?

Any thoughts on when December interviews will hear back?

Any thoughts on when December interviews will hear back?
From what I've heard they're closed now and won't reopen until January. I believe it's the 4th when they reopen. I'd think probably sometime that week when we hear back

Does anyone know the reputation of "transitional residencies"? I saw that CUSOM has a 100% match rate, but ~10% of graduates in the last 3 yrs have entered transitional residencies. Does that imply that they were unable to match into their specialty of choice and were forced to do a transitional yr? I know a lot of specialties require transitional years, but the percentage of CUSOM grads that go on to transitional residencies just seemed high to me.
Your sentiment is overall correct.

TRI are meant to be a year rotating through different specialty this could be both for an applicant not matching or an applicant needing a year one position before going into their year 2 position. Some programs such as: anesthesia/ophtho/PMR/Rad/etc require a year 1 position (acquired by the applicant separately) before they match into their specialty as a year 2 position. Programs that only offer year 2 to begin with are called "advanced" positions. I hope that provides clarity.

Your sentiment is overall correct.

TRI are meant to be a year rotating through different specialty this could be both for an applicant not matching or an applicant needing a year one position before going into their year 2 position. Some programs such as: anesthesia/ophtho/PMR/Rad/etc require a year 1 position (acquired by the applicant separately) before they match into their specialty as a year 2 position. Programs that only offer year 2 to begin with are called "advanced" positions. I hope that provides clarity.
So - is this a concern or just the norm across medical schools (or perhaps just DO)?

What I'm wondering is, is their CastleBranch service used by a lot of schools. Like, if I did commit elsewhere down the road, or simply want to use the info I've uploaded there elsewhere, can I use what I've already done? Or will I have to do all that stuff over again?
I was also wondering the same thing! Does anyone have any information about this?

So - is this a concern or just the norm across medical schools (or perhaps just DO)
The way I perceive it, some of these TRIs would've been a "unmatched" statistic at other school. Unsure about DO specific. At least Campbell is giving these people a spot while in limbo or the first year spot TRI is acquired because they already have a second year position. The statistic is not very clear on that.

Applicants end up in one year positions without a second year for several reasons- some go unmatched (unmatched due to a competitive year in their speciality, applicant lacks interview volume for selected speciality, or just wanted to do another speciality, but applied late and needed a year, etc)

Do you mind shedding light on how the interview was?
It was very laid back. There will be probably under ten others with you and you'll do quick introductions and then they give a presentation. You get put in break out rooms one on one with the interviewers and mine were very nice. Asked questions based off of my application so it was all very straightforward to answer. To me it seemed like they really wanted to get to know me and understand my drive... I had done a practice interview with Rudi following the prep workshop so I felt pretty prepared.

Also, definitely hoping that some II mean that more decisions will be coming soon.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, current MS1 happy to answer any questions via PM if you have them. Congrats to those of you joining the class of 2025!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone who interviewed in December hear back yet?

I think they said something in my interview about doing the finalizations of applicants on fridays?

Received an II today:) Could not be happier, I'll be interviewing on 1/25. Would anyone who has already interviewed provide me with some insight on how the interview will go/format of it. Also if any current students would be willing to share information on CUSOM's exam format and how they prepare you for COMLEX I would greatly appreciate it. Good luck to all!

Received an II today:) Could not be happier, I'll be interviewing on 1/25. Would anyone who has already interviewed provide me with some insight on how the interview will go/format of it. Also if any current students would be willing to share information on CUSOM's exam format and how they prepare you for COMLEX I would greatly appreciate it. Good luck to all!
I had my interview 12/14. Very friendly faculty and very laid back interview. There were I think nine potential students and we each started with a little introduction. They followed that with a presentation and time for questions and then we had break out rooms one on one with interviewers (30 mins for each of the two) The interviews were open file so very specific to things you’ve done or interests you have. At the end there was a student panel. You can PM me if you have any other questions about it

• Love
I had my interview 12/14. Very friendly faculty and very laid back interview. There were I think nine potential students and we each started with a little introduction. They followed that with a presentation and time for questions and then we had break out rooms one on one with interviewers (30 mins for each of the two) The interviews were open file so very specific to things you’ve done or interests you have. At the end there was a student panel. You can PM me if you have any other questions about it
Similar experience here, I felt like the questions regarding exam format and COMLEX prep were addressed in the welcome presentation and then you could also ask questions in the student panel. Definitely have questions prepared for your interviewers too in case they finish their questions for you early- mine were eager to chat about and answer my questions in the last couple mins of the interviews. Good luck!

• Love
Just got accepted! Interviewed 11/18.
However, I will be turning down the A. Hope it goes to one of y'all!!

Reactions: 7 users
I also got the A! interviewed 11/16 but I will also be turning it down

Have any December interviews heard back?

Last edited:

Similar experience here, I felt like the questions regarding exam format and COMLEX prep were addressed in the welcome presentation and then you could also ask questions in the student panel. Definitely have questions prepared for your interviewers too in case they finish their questions for you early- mine were eager to chat about and answer my questions in the last couple mins of the interviews. Good luck!
thank you both so much!

II received yesterday. Turned it down but I hope the opportunity goes to someone else!

May I ask when you submitted your secondary application? I’m curious about the time line at this pint in the cycle.

May I ask when you completed the time secondary essays? I’m curious about the timelines at this point int the process.

II today, scheduled for 01/20. I submitted my secondary 9/29