2020-2021 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wrong. My bad. One can only maintain 3 schools from April 15th to 30th. Only one acceptance + waitlists can be maintained after April 30th

Thanks for the clarification.
No problem! I know this is all coming from looking out for each other and I’m glad we have a community like this!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how MCW waitlist movement was in the past?
In the past two years, there was basically zero WL movement, but the admissions office said that that was just due to changes in the AAMC CYMS Tool. They over accepted students in the past and are trying to get back to normal. Historically, this is what it normally looks like.

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...472a/msar_waitlist_procedures_11_132_2020.pdf

Typical # of Waitlist Positions: 100-200 at MCW-Milwaukee and 25-50 at MCW-Green Bay and MCW-Central Wisconsin
# of Acceptance Offers: 50
Waitlist Procedures: Applicants are placed on the waitlist throughout the interview cycle with few offers extended prior to May. The waitlist is unranked, and applicants are selected through a holistic review process

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received any scholarships, merit or need based on their financial aid package that got sent out today? Wondering if they will send out scholarships later in the cycle or if it has been sent out already. Thanks

Has anyone received any scholarships, merit or need based on their financial aid package that got sent out today? Wondering if they will send out scholarships later in the cycle or if it has been sent out already. Thanks
Also got my "financial aid package" this morning -- it was just the cost of attendance, but in loans lol

Reactions: 5 users
Same here 😭. Hoping we still have a chance for scholarships
Yep for me too. Ngl actually seeing that loan number for the first time and extrapolating it out for 4 years is freaking me out a bit

Reactions: 2 users
Last year, the FA packages were also sent out on 04/07. (Source) Lots of people in last year's thread also didn't see anything other than loans on the first day. Last year, someone asked the admissions office when scholarships would be coming out and was told by 4/30. (Source)

Reactions: 3 users
Last year, the FA packages were also sent out on 04/07. (Source) Lots of people in last year's thread also didn't see anything other than loans on the first day. Last year, someone asked the admissions office when scholarships would be coming out and was told by 4/30. (Source)
Thank you this makes me feel better

Reactions: 1 user
+ 1. What a nice “award” lol
+2. And seriously, haha. To call this an award seems cynical! Hopefully there will be scholarships in the coming weeks, however considering I imagine every incoming student is looking for them, I am going to try to not get my hopes up.

Are merit scholarships actually likely though?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know SDN is only a small subset, but anyone on here receive need-based aid in today's offer? Trying to figure out if thats something that's included in the original offer or comes out at a later date as well

Right, I saw that. I guess I got caught in semantics since your OP said "scholarships" and I don't consider need-based aid as a scholarship. Wasn't sure if need-based aid was calculated into the"loan offer" that came out today for some so that's what I was trying to figure out!

Edit: read a bit more on last year's thread and seems both will be coming in the next few weeks (hopefully). Thanks!

Last edited:
PSA: MCW does not match scholarship offers from other institutions in case anyone was wondering.

• Sad
Anyone know dress code for second look tomorrow?

Has anyone received their financial aid award letters from here yet?

MSAR says that "few" move of the WL before May, so has anyone heard of WL movement yet?

Anyone not able to make second look tomorrow? Wasn't able to get off of work and feel like I'm making a mistake not going

Hey guys, I inquired about the status of institutional scholarships for this year and got this response: "We’ll do our best to offer any and all scholarships as soon as we can this spring, but there’s no guarantee that those would come prior to the April 30 decision deadline. We hope to provide a brief update about this tomorrow at Second Look Day as well. Until then, the conservative route would be to operate under the assumption that the financial aid package you already received will remain as-is."

Woah did MCW jack up tuition? COA is looking like $360K+

• Sad
Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else feel that their "COA" estimate is VERY conservative? Maybe a truer estimate is another $5k-$10k to that annually, maybe like another $40k overall?

Also separate question: does anyone know what the diversity of the faculty looks like? Seems very male-dominated and white to me, any thoughts on this? I know on my interview day, students consistently cited diversity issues and minimal/inadequate mental health support resources.
WI itself is a very undiverse state. (#39/50 in this article) Most & Least Diverse States in America

• Sad
But even then, why the male-dominated faculty? I also saw they were a 60%-65% male student body until 2017. Kind of a concerning as a female student tbh... any female MCW students have insight on this? Has this impacted your growth?
I'm just an applicant like you, but the sexism of the past is still affecting medical schools today. Even though women now make up the majority of medical school matriculants, that has only been the case for more than just a few years. In the eighties, men matriculated at a rate of about 2.5 times more than women. That means there are far more male doctors who are old enough to have established careers in academic medicine.

I understand that, but compared to other schools I've interviewed at , MCW seems to have far fewer female medical faculty -- despite the deep sexism in medicine being present all over the USA. Maybe it's just my perception. It raises concerns for me that MCW's traditional ways will impede the growth of female medical students like me/ lead to uncomfortable power dynamics. If anyone has insights on this (positive or negative) that would be comforting cuz this is my only A at this time and I really have admired the powerful female role models I've had in medicine and it's kind of weird to not see them here lol
This seems like a pretty unfair sweeping generalization to make- how are you inferring the culture of an entire medical school based solely on the sex ratio of its faculty? Sure, there might be fewer women at MCW, but does that make any of the female faculty there any less capable of being rockstars and role models? I work with a few female MCW docs and I can assure you they are both powerful forces at their institution and respected leaders in their field.

Your points on representation in medicine are well taken- I hope we can all appreciate the need for equity in hiring practices, compensation, and representation in medicine. However, I think this type of assumption is kind of insulting to the women at MCW who do tremendous work there. Speaking only to admissions (obv I can't comment on the student experience), MCW has been one of the most progressive, compassionate, and kind schools I've had the privilege of interacting with. Regular, transparent updates on the application cycle (even a reminder to vote back in November!) are but a few examples of MCW certainly not being "traditional".

Reactions: 6 users
I feel like the Second Look Day was really well put together over all. It definitely made me enthusiastic about MCW.

I feel like the Second Look Day was really well put together over all. It definitely made me enthusiastic about MCW.
I wonder if they'll have another Second Look Day for people admitted off the WL or if we would have to just look into the school ourselves (I haven't been accepted off the WL yet but I'm speaking it into existence!)

Also for those who did attend the SLD - can you please share what you thought of it, a rundown of the events, etc.! Thanks <3

I wonder if they'll have another Second Look Day for people admitted off the WL or if we would have to just look into the school ourselves (I haven't been accepted off the WL yet but I'm speaking it into existence!)

Also for those who did attend the SLD - can you please share what you thought of it, a rundown of the events, etc.! Thanks <3
Second look day was recorded so it’ll probably be made available to you if you need it.

Overall, MCW has left a great impression on me from the beginning. They didn’t hang me out to dry and make me wait months for a decision like other programs did. The staff are friendly and enthusiastic about their school and students. They couldn’t have an in person second look day but they did a great job organizing a virtual second look with the resources they had. In a span of 6 or 7 hours they covered things such as curriculum, what to expect as an M1, financial aid, student Q and A, campus tour, life in Milwaukee, etc.

Second look day was recorded so it’ll probably be made available to you if you need it.

Overall, MCW has left a great impression on me from the beginning. They didn’t hang me out to dry and make me wait months for a decision like other programs did. The staff are friendly and enthusiastic about their school and students. They couldn’t have an in person second look day but they did a great job organizing a virtual second look with the resources they had. In a span of 6 or 7 hours they covered things such as curriculum, what to expect as an M1, financial aid, student Q and A, campus tour, life in Milwaukee, etc.
Thank you so much! I've had the same impression from MCW throughout the entire cycle, and they're def my top choice out of all my WL's. What did they mention about financial aid? How much need-based vs. merit-based scholarship do they distribute?

Thank you so much! I've had the same impression from MCW throughout the entire cycle, and they're def my top choice out of all my WL's. What did they mention about financial aid? How much need-based vs. merit-based scholarship do they distribute?
Maybe someone else can chime in because I didn’t go into the financial aid breakout room that probably gave more specifics. I just got the general info about loans and the COA. I just know that scholarships will be coming out later.

I'll be withdrawing my application from MCW. Good luck to those who have been accepted and those who are still on the WL!

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Hello, I'll be attending the MCW-Milwaukee campus this August for my 1st year and I was just wondering if you think a 30-minute commute to medical school every day is doable/sustainable? My partner and I are thinking of living in the Oconomowoc area, where she would have about an hour drive to work (she works in Madison). Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hello, I'll be attending the MCW-Milwaukee campus this August for my 1st year and I was just wondering if you think a 30-minute commute to medical school every day is doable/sustainable? My partner and I are thinking of living in the Oconomowoc area, where she would have about an hour drive to work (she works in Madison). Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
I don't think you'll be on campus every day- that should help with commute fatigue. IIRC, Dr. Cirillo's interview day video mentioned that currently, only 2 learning cohorts are allowed on campus each day. In your later years, perhaps you'll be able to rotate in some of the lake country area community hospitals?

As for the commute itself, I'm sure commuting after the mental rigor of a day of med school is a different beast than most jobs. That said, it's a straight shot down 16/94 or 94 in normally pretty light traffic, so I don't think it should be anything too taxing.

Hello! My spouse and I currently own a house 45 minutes away from campus and I will be commuting for at least M1 & M2 to Wauwatosa (once clerkships start M3 we plan to buy a house closer to Milwaukee). How much you are willing to commute depends on multiple factors and what's important to you. For me and the spouse, keeping this house and location is important to us for a few more years, and the money saved there is still worth more than the money that will be spent on gas. Not to mention, spending 1-1.5 hours a day commuting is exhausting to some, however I used to commute pretty far in the past and I look forward to using it as time to drink coffee, listen to music/podcasts/lectures, and relax. Traffic wise, I also plan to stick to my current schedule of getting up early and arriving to campus (the days I need to be there) before rush hour.

By commuting, you'd also probably be in the minority as I'm sure most students will want to live within 15 minutes or less of the campus. But just know you won't be the only one doing it. If the benefits personally outway the inconvenience and it's the lifestyle you want to live, go for it!

I don't think you'll be on campus every day- that should help with commute fatigue. IIRC, Dr. Cirillo's interview day video mentioned that currently, only 2 learning cohorts are allowed on campus each day. In your later years, perhaps you'll be able to rotate in some of the lake country area community hospitals?

As for the commute itself, I'm sure commuting after the mental rigor of a day of med school is a different beast than most jobs. That said, it's a straight shot down 16/94 or 94 in normally pretty light traffic, so I don't think it should be anything too taxing.
Thank you for the response! I figured the drive wouldn't be too bad, and maybe even be a nice break from the stresses of school. Also I think we would plan on moving to Wauwatosa for my 3rd and 4th years, so I wouldn't have to worry too much about rotations. Once again, thank you!